2019/05/13 - What Are Little Squirrels Made Of?

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/05/13 - What Are Little Squirrels Made Of?

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/05/13 - What Are Little Squirrels Made Of?]
Title Text: wake me when it's over

Well, some changes take precedence. :shock:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/05/13 - What Are Little Squirrels Made Of?

Post by fenrirblack »

This is huge and honestly a big deal. L’s name is actually Lois. We have a name to go with the bracelet.
Oh, and Marion’s a “female.” Yeah, that was my reaction too.
Dude, not the most flattering picture.

I wonder if Rick plans this ahead of time. Right when things are slowing down, BOOM! he does something that boosts it up again in a big way.

Now to its time for the big question. Who is Lois? (besides a friend). Girlfriend? Doubtful. Most likely a childhood friend relationship. Classic, I approve. Someone to serve as a connection to the human world so to speak. (If he ever leaves the house he should take that phone with him.) But what will her role be? Will we see her or will she forever be on the other end of the text chat? The biggest question is will she be any help at all. Fun fact: the name “Lois” means “the best” so the best “friend” or just in general.

For once I would like there to be some human who is actually useful in this comic. Whenever there is a crisis the humans are so useless. The pets shenanigans effect them too.
We need a “Detective Pikachu” scenario. Human and animal teaming up to solve a mystery. Marion can ride on her shoulder. I did say once this was like “Clue.”

At this point, I wonder if he’s going to hang out in that house until someone finds him or not. At this point he might as well stay until Lois is done with school and then she can stop by and check on him then the story gets rolling. Honestly at this point I’m not expecting him to leave the house until the end of this arc then part 2 picks up after he leaves. Ugh, it’s going to be a cliffhanger isn’t it? The last scene will probably be the reveal of who done it.

Denial and seek help. We really are bouncing all over the place aren’t we.

Finally, I’m just going ahead and putting it out there, why a female squirrel?
(Yes, I know because Rick can but still…)
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Well, yeah Marion that’s a lot of new information for one morning
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So does this mean we have to call him "Marian" now? :lol:
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Oh snap. I would say Lois is their GF, considering that (s)he had a bracelet with their names on it.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

One more bit to perplex him
is the bit that he hasn’t now got.
When it comes to confusion
I think he’s just lost the plot.
He’s found someone to help him
who's coming over right away.
She’s brought up something grim
that’s added a Cherry to the day.
His knowledge of anatomy ain’t vast,
but played with old comic intent;
He’s become a her real fast
and it wasn’t with his consent
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Niara

Post by Niara »

I have been in the 'not sold' camp regarding the way Marion has been drawn so far... I know most forum-goers slipped into male terminology after the first comic or two, but I've not been convinced...

Truthfully, my first instinct regarding the question and answer here is that Marion may have always presented as male, but been physically female - it's a secret that has only now been revealed by an unfortunate circumstantial accident.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like that to be the situation here, I think it would require a lot more supporting machinations to have been able to hold true - Marion is a high school student, and there are things like gym class, which can be difficult to maintain such a secret through, short of a parental opt-out with consideration... unlikely, I think.

Failing that, chances are a physically male Marion now in a physically female squirrel could be explained in any number of ways, for any number of reasons, looking forward to seeing more.
Last edited by Niara on Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Welp, you folks who kept thinking that he had gotten genderbent were right all along.

I....I need to take a moment.

I am shocked and yet can't stop smiling.
Saturn381 wrote:So does this mean we have to call him "Marian" now? :lol:
Not helping!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, "Marion" is a gender-neutral name, apparently.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Hm. Well, this casts a little doubt on the coin theory. I don't think genderbending is part of the curse. Then again, we've only seen it inflicted twice before, so maybe Steward and Thomas simply got lucky.
Last edited by leinglo on Mon May 13, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

First Pete the griffin, now Lois.
Is the comic secretly a prequel to Family Guy?

.....Oh shut up, I'm funny!
fenrirblack wrote:I wonder if Rick plans this ahead of time. Right when things are slowing down, BOOM! he does something that boosts it up again in a big way.
Oh, you bet your bottom dollar he plans these things way ahead of time! And I could not agree more with that statement!
fenrirblack wrote: Now to its time for the big question. Who is Lois? (besides a friend). Girlfriend? Doubtful.
I mean, you don't wear a bracelet saying "me and this other person" unless you are in relationship.

C'mon, the guy is old enough to drive, of course he's got a girlfriend!
Niara wrote:chances are a physically male Marion now in a physically female squirrel could be explained in any number of ways, for any number of reasons, looking forward to seeing more.
I'm mighty sure that's precisely the reason he fainted when he was told he was female, yes.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Uh oh. Better make sure you don't attract a guy in that form, then. They'll never let it down when you return back to normal. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

I just realized how hard would it be to convince someone in the HP universe that u turned into and animal; with they being sentient and intelligent... how do u make people believe that it is u and not just a animal that u talked into pretending to be you with a lot a of personal facts of ur life.

Also the fact that there is only a capital "i" just drives me crazy... >.>
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Looks like I win some prediction points.
Back in '[url=http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4739&p=868162#p868162]An Auspicious Beginning[/url]' Champion Wallace wrote:There isn't really any evidence for this yet, though it would be interesting if when the coin changed somebody's body, their sex is also determined by the same unknowable ruleset that determines species and Thomas and Steward just happened to stay male.
So now it's confirmed he was a senior in high school. For those wondering about the title: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Are_ ... Made_Of%3F.
fenrirblack wrote:Honestly at this point I’m not expecting him to leave the house until the end of this arc then part 2 picks up after he leaves. Ugh, it’s going to be a cliffhanger isn’t it? The last scene will probably be the reveal of who done it.
I can still hold out hope that the arc will be one-arc long.
Marion was already a girls' name. Remember the whole debate about Marion's gender when he was introduced.
Niara wrote:I have been in the 'not sold' camp regarding the way Marion has been drawn so far... I know most forum-goers slipped into male terminology after the first comic or two, but I've not been convinced...

Truthfully, my first instinct regarding the question and answer here is that Marion may have always presented as male, but been physically female - it's a secret that has only now been revealed by an unfortunate circumstantial accident.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like that to be the situation here, I think it would require a lot more supporting machinations to have been able to hold true - Marion is a high school student, and there are things like gym class, which can be difficult to maintain such a secret through, short of a parental opt-out with consideration... unlikely, I think.

Failing that, chances are a physically male Marion now in a physically female squirrel could be explained in any number of ways, for any number of reasons, looking forward to seeing more.
To be fair, we did get a supposed word of god that Marion was male. Based on his reaction it would seem Marion was a boy before the transformation, though if he wasn't gym class might not have been an issue; not all schools are the same. I would think the sex-ed classes would be more of an impediment to keeping the secret, but again, not all schools are the same (and denial in this case can be pretty strong).
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Mon May 13, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

...Well, that is One Hek of an Unsettling Gender reveal for the poor lad... Or Should it be 'Lass' now? :?

Oh, what the Hek, I'll laugh anyway.

https://youtu.be/OWDozBLKdJ4
Marion is a Unisex name, but it's more Common for girls.

Personally, I would Reserve 'Marian' for a Vixen Character.

Would make for a neat Robin Hood Ref...
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Takes the term "test anxiety" to whole new levels.

Pete? Lois? Stewart? Is Bryan or Key next? Fred and Wilma? Too much! ;)
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

this is where the fun begins small.png
this is where the fun begins small.png (171.73 KiB) Viewed 14753 times
I was already very on board with this story arc, but this made it even better. Can't wait to see how the main characters interact with Marion.
Raku

Post by Raku »

Things were already getting interesting, but now we'll really have to find out how things play out with this story going forward.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Squirrels just wanna have fun.
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

I think we can officially write off that coin unless gender is also swappable with it.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
zeusdemigod131

Post by zeusdemigod131 »

Rikunda wrote:I think we can officially write off that coin unless gender is also swappable with it.
Maybe it's a heads vs. tails thing.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I am REALLY starting to think that little demon that Keene took to Earth had a hand in this.

Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Silly Zealot wrote:I am REALLY starting to think that little demon that Keene took to Earth had a hand in this.
Either that or Pete pulled something outta his sleeve (Does getting run over and killed count as a mortal timeline? Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is a thing, it's super vague as to HOW long he had to serve as a Fox, and he could have easily said that foxes live for a few years in some other dimension) and is messing around. Either way I want to see Pete again. Really like the guy.
Last edited by Padgriffin on Mon May 13, 2019 4:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

He had to live as a mortal for no less than 60 years. It was in the final King/Joel story, when Kitsune gives out the penalty for losing the game.

Argent

Post by Argent »

apply tinybluescreen.mod

Anyway.

It's established (Grape, the Bigglesworths) that gender is not obvious to members of the same species even, so unless Lois is majoring in small mammal biology she may easily be mistaken.

Or she thinks he's pranking her and she's pranking him back.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Argent wrote:It's established (Grape, the Bigglesworths) that gender is not obvious to members of the same species even, so unless Lois is majoring in small mammal biology she may easily be mistaken.
I don't know, Marion sent a pretty clear pic. It probably doesn't take small mammal biology major to see what is, or isn't, there. In-universe, at least. As for Marion, I think he can be excused for not immediately noticing given his current mental and emotional state.
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Okay I was already in love with this arc but the fact this is also a TF/TG just made this my favorite arc ever :P
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

leinglo wrote:
Argent wrote:It's established (Grape, the Bigglesworths) that gender is not obvious to members of the same species even, so unless Lois is majoring in small mammal biology she may easily be mistaken.
I don't know, Marion sent a pretty clear pic. It probably doesn't take small mammal biology major to see what is, or isn't, there. In-universe, at least. As for Marion, I think he can be excused for not immediately noticing given his current mental and emotional state.
Don't what to tell you, Argent has a point*. I myself can't tell the gender of a squirrel through just picture. But yeah, maybe it's not easy to convey the idea that a character has changed gender in a story like this, so maybe this was the best way that Rick could tell it.

*Don't ever tell him I said that.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:apply tinybluescreen.mod

Anyway.

It's established (Grape, the Bigglesworths) that gender is not obvious to members of the same species even, so unless Lois is majoring in small mammal biology she may easily be mistaken.

Or she thinks he's pranking her and she's pranking him back.
I put in the 'old comic intent' line with this in mind specifically.

This is a PG-13 comic. Certain areas can't be shown.

Doesn't necessarily mean they're not there and others can't see them...

(Bigglesworths may have been 'fixed'.)

Don't think on it too much, it's a bit disturbing(!)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well this makes things even more interesting than before.I have to agree with others this seems to be likely that demon that Keene brought back with him rather than the coin at this point.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Don't think on it too much, it's a bit disturbing(!)
I've got it! I've got it! I've got it! I've got it!

There many people in the Housepets! world that know magic, yeah?

Lois is obviously a fuzzy-mancer.

Fuzzy-mancer are experts on magic related to all this fuzzy and fluffy. One of their innate abilities is that they can tell the gender (as well as age, mood, marital status, among others) of a hair-possessing creature depending on their level of fuzzyness.

Fuzzy-mancers can cast spells that make beards grow long and untie nasty knots on one's hair.

Evil fuzzy-mancers, however, sometimes cast curses such as making people grow bald (it is even believed that a particurlary powerful evil fuzzy-mancer created the sphinx cat breed).

Such curses, however, are seen as blasphemy by normal fuzzy-mancers, as they make people and animals less fuzzy.

There, I gave an explanation that wasn't creepy and was hopefully kinda funny.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Yup, that's a better one.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

leinglo wrote:
I don't know, Marion sent a pretty clear pic. It probably doesn't take small mammal biology major to see what is, or isn't, there.
Apparently it does for the Bigglesworths. And they're right there. In person AND in universe.

Or she's pranking him back. I'm leaning towards pranking.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Marion's a girl squirrel? Yeah, I'm pretty sure the last panel would be my reaction too xD
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So it looks like Lois must be his girlfriend then since they are the same age and I doubt just being friends will be enough to make someone wear a bracelet which is now a necklace since that seems more intimate.

Also, I don't mean to be rude but what is with the old-fashioned names? When I think of Marion and Lois, I think of older adults. Then I think of Double D and Lois Griffin. :P
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

For what it's worth, I think he's still physically male.

Remember, this is a comic where physical gender isn't obvious, *cough Grape cough* even between family members. Let's also not forget about the Bigglesworths, who even went so far as to date without knowing each other's physical gender.

Our only hint that Marion even might have changed genders is a text message from a friend. Let's not forget that friends often mess with each other, and teenagers even moreso than usual. Since Lois thought Marion was joking around, perhaps Lois decided to be funny.

Also, we're talking about a picture delivered via cellphone, which probably isn't a high-res picture automatically.

Edit: I skipped over reading a few comments. Now I see that my points were already made.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Wasn’t on board initially with this being ANOTHER tf, but now... things just got a lot more interesting.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

IceKitsune wrote:Well this makes things even more interesting than before.I have to agree with others this seems to be likely that demon that Keene brought back with him rather than the coin at this point.
`bout time for the little stinker to break surface....
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

vulpinator wrote:Wasn’t on board initially with this being ANOTHER tf, but now... things just got a lot more interesting.
How many TFs have there been in HP? Besides King/Joel, Mr.Milton, Craig/Pete and Draig/Dragon, I don't think there are any other cases where a character got transformed. I might be confused though, since I haven't read through the entire strip.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

leinglo wrote:
I mean, I’m not against it being real, but considering Marion clearly is, I hope Lois was pranking him back or was mistaken. Rick, it’s the squirrel’s first arc, go easier on him so his little heart doesn’t burst