2019/05/17 - Cereal Killer

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Pumkin6

Re: 2019/05/17 - Cereal Killer

Post by Pumkin6 »

I think Rick didn't show us Marion trying to contact his dad because it would be too similar to the comic of him calling his mom.
Speaking of his mom, if he just made a mess of squirrel food on the floor, it makes it a lot more likely that his mom won't believe him upon returning home mistaking him for vermin. If that happened, he'd get chased out of the house and left at the mercy of whatever character finds him first.
Speaking of other characters, I feel like he's probably gonna meet up with one of the neighborhood dogs first. I also hope he meets King, because I'd love to see King's reaction to another transformed character.
And speaking of King, wasn't he supposed to get a job? Did that ever get resolved?
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, it's time to eat something, and even this is going to be a problem... The life as a squirrel isn't being great so far, is it? :P Uhm, you got so many cereals assortment at home. ;) Yep, it's a neat and dangerous perspective. :D Don't get so sad, Marion, you only got buried under some cereals, which you can finally eat the same. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Pumkin6 wrote:I think Rick didn't show us Marion trying to contact his dad because it would be too similar to the comic of him calling his mom.
Speaking of his mom, if he just made a mess of squirrel food on the floor, it makes it a lot more likely that his mom won't believe him upon returning home mistaking him for vermin. If that happened, he'd get chased out of the house and left at the mercy of whatever character finds him first.
Speaking of other characters, I feel like he's probably gonna meet up with one of the neighborhood dogs first. I also hope he meets King, because I'd love to see King's reaction to another transformed character.
And speaking of King, wasn't he supposed to get a job? Did that ever get resolved?
My thoughts exactly. But at this point the details are still the most likely option but there are possibilities several of which are pinging around in my head. It all boils down to what Ricks plans are for Year 12 which I’ll discuss later.
King’s job situation was never resolved so almost a year later we don’t know what’s going on there. Maybe that’ll be an arc for next year.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For some reason, that "adult cereal" is kind of making me think its bran since it is what the older population may sometimes eat to help with their issues.

Glad I never did because more fiber just made my stomach issues worse. :|
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I always liked bran as a kid - the first baking I ever did was bran muffins. Mom let me put chocolate chips in `em. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It's time for Fenrir's Ramblings.

If it's not obvious by now, it would seem that Marion is not planning on leaving his house any time soon. That means that over the next two weeks and six strips we are essentially going to stay home until something dramatic shifts in this story forcing him to interact with another character. This could happen in a different number of ways from his mother coming home after hearing one of his long incoherent messages to Lois coming to check on him. Neither one seems like a plausible option due to the fact that the only message we saw Marion leave for his mother was not accepted and Lois is busy with exams to come check on her friend who she most likely still believes is trying to prank her. There is also the little fact that they are both human therefore automatically have the chances of showing up cut in half. It could happen with Lois especially if Marion telling her that he's become a squirrel or trying to prank her is out of character for him but we still don't know enough about him to say either way.

So where does that leave us. Following the usual pattern there will most likely be a strip of him further attempting to eat breakfast. This follows the theme of him attempting to adjust to his new body. This could go on for a number of strips leading to the End of Year 11 where I am sure he will finally meet another character. Or it is possible again that he will attempt a break if not this coming week but the week after especially if A. he gets booted out or B. he decides to take the risk of leaving the sanctuary that is his home. This brings me back to the four mystery strips (as I'm calling them.) So far he's checked off a lot of the boxes of "Ahh, I've been turned into an animal." He's freaked, called for help, ignored the problem, done research, examined his body, and is now adapting. The next logical step would be to check the general outside area by peeking out a window which if he does might be the trigger for him to leave the house. The other option, which has been mentioned before, would be to check the internet. So far he's has not done that which is strange. He went for a book instead of checking his computer or phone. The problem with this is there is no telling what he might find since despite this becoming a common occurrence, no one actually knows about it outside a few animals. So unless Tarot and/or Sabrina actually did make a help website for wayward therianthropes, I doubt anything will come of it except a joke at the expense of TF enthusiasts.

But it is what is happening after ALL that, the start of Year 12 has got me thinking. Like I said Marion ain't leaving anytime soon. There is zero indication right now that Marion will even attempt a break-out and we all know that it would be foolish of him to try. That leads me to believe that Rick is running down the clock with this introduction. In years past he has cut these kind of major arcs in half when the year came to a close. I'm thinking he's trying to avoid that this time and more importantly avoiding what happened with the End of the Year 9 which ended with the first part of the Temple Crashers 2 arc. This makes me believe that his first arc of Year 12 will be a fairly large arc not unlike the wolves that will set up the elements established with the Temple Crashers 2 like Steward and the Coin and the Demon and more importantly establish Marion's role in the comic. This will set the tone for the next few years. But of course this is speculation and assuming that Marion has anything to do with either one of them. But considering the amount of time Rick is spending on Marion proves that he will have a substantial role down the line even if it is something completely different from what I would believe it to be. Of course this leads to the million dollar question of who's responsible and depending on who it is, are they watching him right now?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I do not believe this is just "running down the clock". I am trustful year 11 is gonna end with a bang and a kaboom. You can always rely on Rick to make a cool and unexpected twist to every story, and this story sure can go any of million ways.

.......But I do hope no one walks in on Marion munching on cereal. Boy, that misunderstanding would down me quite a lot. :(
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Depends on who would walk in. If it was a random strange then I would be a bit disturbed by it. If it was one of his family, I would cringe so badly as they tried to chase him and beat him with a broomstick.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:I do not believe this is just "running down the clock". I am trustful year 11 is gonna end with a bang and a kaboom. You can always rely on Rick to make a cool and unexpected twist to every story, and this story sure can go any of million ways.
Running down the clock is just one interpretation. Another would be “setting up” Marion as a major character therefore we need to know about his home life and what is at stake. Another could be “luring us in a false sense of security” so as you said Rick can “kaboom!” us. Another idea I had was that Rick is establishing a type of “post tf” scenario so that if and when this happens again (and it most likely will) we can assume that the next characters reaction/response will be similar so we don’t have to go through the same process of showing the five stages of TF and jump straight to the action.

You are right. What happens at the end of Marion’s introduction will be significant and exciting. Heck he might change back to human after saying a magic word or something and serve as a bridge between the human and animal worlds. Or he could just die. Or be recruited by a secret organization that needs him to infiltrate the pets inner circle to find proof of the divine.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually think that it would be good if we had a recurring teenager character who might be young enough to relate to the pets and be the one to help give owners better perspectives of their pets and what it is like to be one.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

fenrirblack wrote:Another idea I had was that Rick is establishing a type of “post tf” scenario so that if and when this happens again (and it most likely will) we can assume that the next characters reaction/response will be similar so we don’t have to go through the same process of showing the five stages of TF and jump straight to the action.
That is a very interesting theory! This being just the first signs of a greater and even crazier event would be quite the thing!
fenrirblack wrote: Or he could just die.
He did just die. Didn't you see him giving out his own eulogy? Pay attention! :P
fenrirblack wrote: Or be recruited by a secret organization that needs him to infiltrate the pets inner circle to find proof of the divine.
Hahahaha, that'd be so bananas! :lol: Wouldn't going to the magic convention that Peanut and Tarot went to a few years back be enough?
fenrirblack wrote:he might change back to human after saying a magic word or something and serve as a bridge between the human and animal worlds.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I actually think that it would be good if we had a recurring teenager character who might be young enough to relate to the pets and be the one to help give owners better perspectives of their pets and what it is like to be one.
Now, there is an idea! Marion the interpreter. Marion the bridge-maker. Marion the true opener of ways!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:he might change back to human after saying a magic word or something and serve as a bridge between the human and animal worlds.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I actually think that it would be good if we had a recurring teenager character who might be young enough to relate to the pets and be the one to help give owners better perspectives of their pets and what it is like to be one.
Now, there is an idea! Marion the interpreter. Marion the bridge-maker. Marion the true opener of ways!
Zach would be thrilled but I don't think I could handle that. That would mean they were RIGHT ALL ALONG about the opener stuff.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I mean, they'd certainly see it that way, but it wouldn't make them right :P
Just imagining Jess's face :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Obbl wrote:I mean, they'd certainly see it that way, but it wouldn't make them right :P
Just imagining Jess's face :lol:
Yeah, that might not go well. I can see Jessica over-reacting to Marion-the-Opener, bouncing Steward Badger's coin off his human head, turning him back into a squirrel, and smacking him with a marsupial round-house!

...or....maybe....she'll be ecstatic to have Zach relieved of being the focus of the Opener devotionals....

Guess we'll get an inkling where Rick's taking us (and Marion) when our squirrel has his first face-to-face encounter with someone else....
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

What if Marion is supposed to do something else? It's been a year-ish since Steward was turned into a badger and has been playing with the coin, so why hasn't he done anything with it? The answers would be either he's waiting for the right moment or he already has. That makes me think that if Steward is secretly holding therianthrope teens captive like a serial killer, maybe Marion is the one who is going to have to rescue them. Any other comic this would be possible but not this one. Fun to think about though.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Maybe he'll respawn as another animal.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

fenrirblack wrote: Zach would be thrilled but I don't think I could handle that. That would mean they were RIGHT ALL ALONG about the opener stuff.
To be honest, the animals of the Opener cult were right AND wrong all along.
Pete was real, and he DID promise to equalize all beings in exchange for his freedom.
But he was a cosmic teenager nerd who didn't do what was promised and now has no power.

Man, he really should run for Congress (doesn't matter from which country, any would do), he'd fit right in!
fenrirblack wrote:That makes me think that if Steward is secretly holding therianthrope teens captive like a serial killer, maybe Marion is the one who is going to have to rescue them.
I didn't know serial killers kept werewolves and other such weres imprisoned.....
.....Then again, I never did much research about Freddy and Jason's day-to-day personal lives.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He didn't mean that serial killers kept werewolves hostage. He met some serial killers did.

Anyway that might be something I could see Thomas doing, but Stewart seems to have his head together at least somewhat.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:He didn't mean that serial killers kept werewolves hostage. He met some serial killers did.

Anyway that might be something I could see Thomas doing, but Stewart seems to have his head together at least somewhat.
Maybe not for the sake of torture but maybe if Steward could exploit them somehow for his own gain. I mean he has the coin, he must have a plan, so what else are you going to do with that kind of power unless you want to cause anarchy. If you want an example of crazy people with that kind of power look no further than Issac DeVane from Black Tapestries. The psychopath turned an entire town into anthropomorphic animals and due to the culture of Creedmoor they were essentially prisoners. Even worse the psycho practically brainwashed them after the fact. If you want a HP example then look at Marion. It's been established that he's essentially a prisoner of circumstance in his own home. If he leaves then he's in danger of being killed by predators and if his parents decide to freak out then he's definitely out of luck.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That depends if Stewart was indeed the one that did this. I have a hard time believing that a badger could sneak in, get on the bed of a sleeping 17-18 year old without waking him and rub the coin on him then sneak back out.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how this plays out.