2019/05/15 - A Time To Reflect

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/05/15 - A Time To Reflect

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just for the sake of whatever little is left of Marion's sanity, I hope that doesn't end up happening. :lol:
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

So, I guess this page confirms that the characters can in fact see things the readers cannot. In light of this new information, I'm just going to say that I hope none of the wolf cubs ever happens to develop a crush on anyone at that school...
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Raku wrote:
Cesco wrote:This must be the first case of human turning into an animal and also switching gender... :?
In this comic? I'm not sure... I feel like there might have been foreshadowing cause someone did link a gag comic that was early on with one of the ferrets thinking that Scooby Doo was one since they were calling themselves "Ruby Roo" to Keen's chagrin.
I did link that comic, it's so nice that you remember! Makes me so happy! :D
Don't think much of it, though. Like you said, it was a gag comic, a pun strip made years ago. (And it's still just as good as the day it was posted :D )
Raku wrote: Outside of it, there are others. As someone mentioned (a comic "Out-Of-Placers"), there is a main character in a comic that experiences this exact thing that drives the plot of that comic.
Oooh, found that comic in October. Didn't know someone else here read it!
(It's rated +18, though, mostly for potty-mouths and adult humour, so be careful.)
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Just for the sake of whatever little is left of Marion's sanity, I hope that doesn't end up happening. :lol:
Oh, sanity, sanity. Let me tell you something about sanity.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Raku

Post by Raku »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Raku wrote:
Cesco wrote:This must be the first case of human turning into an animal and also switching gender... :?
In this comic? I'm not sure... I feel like there might have been foreshadowing cause someone did link a gag comic that was early on with one of the ferrets thinking that Scooby Doo was one since they were calling themselves "Ruby Roo" to Keen's chagrin.
I did link that comic, it's so nice that you remember! Makes me so happy! :D
Don't think much of it, though. Like you said, it was a gag comic, a pun strip made years ago. (And it's still just as good as the day it was posted :D )
Still though, I was shocked at how perfect of a foreshadow it was... Even though we both agree it was most likely some one off gag. Obviously the idea stayed with Rick since then.
Silly Zealot wrote:
Raku wrote: Outside of it, there are others. As someone mentioned (a comic "Out-Of-Placers"), there is a main character in a comic that experiences this exact thing that drives the plot of that comic.
Oooh, found that comic in October. Didn't know someone else here read it!
(It's rated +18, though, mostly for potty-mouths and adult humour, so be careful.)
Yeah, I actually found that comic first... It got me into the mood for some more webcomics (or other media) involving transforming as a plotline, and found HousePets thanks to a mention about King's introduction on some trope website.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You must be talking about TVTropes in that case then. That is how I found out about the comic also. :mrgreen:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I found that site. You should see what they call Pete on the page they mention King. :lol:
Wow, Marion is already on the Housepets TVTropes page. They don't mess around.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

It'll be interesting to see how Marion handles all this once things are less in flux for him.

Side note: I don't think we can rule out the coin just yet, but I have a feeling if it were involved, we'd probably know already this many strips in. At least having it hinted at. I don't know think Steward would be into breaking and entering a teenager's room just to test out some plans. It'd be much easier to test in other ways.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Wow, Marion is already on the Housepets TVTropes page. They don't mess around.
They is us.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Marion is handling things surprisingly well, I’d be freaking out myself. Hopefully he can stay calm and find his way through this.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Fingers crossed, but if I found myself a squirrel in the morning, I'd flip, and even more so if what happened to Marion happened to me...!
Last edited by LunarFox on Thu May 16, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Now, the next hurtle is - what happens when he encounters someone he knows and they react to his transformation....
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

NHWestoN wrote:Now, the next hurtle is - what happens when he encounters someone he knows and they react to his transformation....
*Mom walks in.* "You wouldn't believe what happened to me at work today!" (She's now a fennec fox.)

*Sees Marion* "Orrrrr, maybe you would."
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:Now, the next hurtle is - what happens when he encounters someone he knows and they react to his transformation....
Yes, more uncharted territory considering the ones who came before at least had some experience with Babylon Gardens weirdness, Steward for instance. Fox's reaction to King was...less than ideal. It could go either way depending on how open minded they are. So far Lois was not to keen on helping or believing him but hopefully that will change when she actually makes her appearance which still might be a long shot considering you know humans and all that in the comic, but at this point anything can happen. Fingers still crossed for a Detective Pikachu type scenario.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Fox's reaction wasn't ideal because he found out his best friend/cousin-in-law/brother-in-law was the guy that tried to kidnap him. Of COURSE he was gonna pound the daylights out of him. I'm surprised he didn't go further.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

LunarFox wrote:Fingers crossed, but if I found myself a squirrel in the morning, I'd flip, and even more so if what happened to Marion happened to me, I'd flip.
I am more partial to a classic pirouette, but your take on acrobatics is fine, too!
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Fox's reaction wasn't ideal because he found out his best friend/cousin-in-law/brother-in-law was the guy that tried to kidnap him. Of COURSE he was gonna pound the daylights out of him. I'm surprised he didn't go further.
Honestly, I'm surprised he remembered the guy's face after, what? Five years?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Mr. Whisper wrote:So, I guess this page confirms that the characters can in fact see things the readers cannot. In light of this new information, I'm just going to say that I hope none of the wolf cubs ever happens to develop a crush on anyone at that school...
Well, considering they're the only animals at school I'd hope that wouldn't- you know what? Let's not go down this road of arguments.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Fox's reaction wasn't ideal because he found out his best friend/cousin-in-law/brother-in-law was the guy that tried to kidnap him. Of COURSE he was gonna pound the daylights out of him. I'm surprised he didn't go further.
Honestly, I'm surprised he remembered the guy's face after, what? Five years?
I still love that scene so much. The emotion. The anger. The tears.
Yes, well, trauma sticks with you even after a long time. Fox never truly got over it considering his reaction when Bino just mentioned Joel's name.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Geartooth wrote:(Do squirrel hands work on Touchscreens?)
Yes. In real life paws work on touchscreens, even capacitive touchscreens.
IceKitsune wrote:Yeah tons of other things to worry about at the moment really. I wonder where he would even go too first in this situation? Humans aren't going to believe him and a good amount of Pets aren't as well. Hopefully he can run into one of the few that would and would have some idea of what to do.
As far as we know, Marion is not aware that on average pets are more likely to know about magic(k), so he wouldn't be included to seek them out.
SeanWolf wrote:Is it odd that the first thing I notice is the impressive looking bathroom? Almost reminds me of a studio.
Any room can look grandiose if the frame of reference is the size of a squirrel.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that it looks big and very fancy even without Marion being the size of a squirrel at this point. It reminds me of a master bathroom.
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Honestly, it looks pretty modest to me. My bathroom is arranged almost exactly like you see in the comic (even the same globe lights above the mirror!), and I live in an old small townhouse. It's just Marion's size that's making it look big.
Champion Wallace

Pumkin6 wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:So, I guess this page confirms that the characters can in fact see things the readers cannot. In light of this new information, I'm just going to say that I hope none of the wolf cubs ever happens to develop a crush on anyone at that school...
Well, considering they're the only animals at school I'd hope that wouldn't- you know what? Let's not go down this road of arguments.
Why not? It's not like this comic has shied away from inter-species dating. Kinda the opposite with the Fido and Sabrina, Joey and Squeak, and Keene and Breel pairings. There isn't much of an opportunity for the Babylon Gardens wolfs to find a wolf mate as Poncho pointed out. If a wolf does end up falling for one of his classmates, it technically wouldn't even be the first Homo sapiens-Canis lupus dating attempt.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That line of discussion has reached the end of its usefulness.
Pumkin6 wrote:
If you feel something may be inappropriate to discuss, try not bringing it up. It's great!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Has this line of discussion EVER been useful at all in any context that you can find?

Anyway changing the subject, I just realized why the mirror and the sink in the bathroom looks kind of familiar: it GREATLY resembles the sink and the bathroom in my grandmother's house. Only difference is that there is a toilet and a window to the right of the sink and her bathroom is green with black and pink tile.
Champion Wallace

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Has this line of discussion EVER been useful at all in any context that you can find?
What, shipping? *ponders for a moment* No, I guess you're right. Discussions about shipping haven't ever been useful (doesn't mean they're not worthwhile or fun :)).
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Actually, shipping discussions are generally fine! We have never allowed, and will never allow, zoophilia discussion.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The latter is what I was asking about if it had ever been useful. But since its been established its not, time to move on!
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Yeah, I still think Marion's a boy squirrel. First because of the screencap where Rick said in the art stream to keep calling him a he, second because of his design having no female characteristics like Macsen said (and I think those running gags would be pretty funny), and third because I want him to still have some part of his original self left; the kid's suffered enough and if he has to be a female squirrel for a very long period of time and maybe even permanently thanks to circumstances entirely out of his control, on top of everything else he's endured/will have to endure, it'd break my heart :cry:
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
22xander

Post by 22xander »

I honestly think that thi, will turn out to be "for their own good" as transformations are supposed to be. If they are a female squirl, it will turn out to be for their own good. Just like being a dog was for king
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

22xander wrote:I honestly think that thi, will turn out to be "for their own good" as transformations are supposed to be. If they are a female squirl, it will turn out to be for their own good. Just like being a dog was for king
That’s true, it could be revealed that this is a “for their own good situation” where Marion had to be turned into a male or female squirrel for certain reasons we don’t know yet. Given how the arc frames him as sympathetic, I don’t think this is a situation where he deserved to be turned into a squirrel for some past infractions he committed. It could be along the lines of “The universe needs Marion to be a male or female squirrel now”. Or he’s a hapless victim of a larger circumstances which turned into a squirrel and he eventually links up with King and company and they figure out what that is. Just personally hoping that he’s male, again because the evidence currently leans towards that being the case, and because stories with elements where a character loses almost their entire former identity have never sat right with me. They give me a gut-wrenching tragic feeling.

I’m pretty sure Marion’s headed for a happy ending to his main arc in the future. I could deal with Marion being a male squirrel for the rest of his life no problem, but if he actually did get changed into a female squirrel, and by the end of his main character arc it turns out it’s permanent, I’d have to go lie down for a while. Even if he eventually came to terms with his new identity, starting to think of herself as female, etc. and being happy that way, having so much of what she was before that taken away would be crushingly bittersweet.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think Rick would want to risk the uproar that the fans would have if he kept Marion as a female squirrel and had him give up his entire former life because unlike King, Marion seemed to actually have a fairly average life before he got turned into a squirrel.
22xander

Post by 22xander »

Ash Greytree wrote:Even if he eventually came to terms with his new identity, starting to think of herself as female, etc. and being happy that way, having so much of what she was before that taken away would be crushingly bittersweet.
I was partialy implying that they might end up reflecting and realising they identify more with the femanine aspect. It's something I've been thinking for a bit, but I didn't want to come on too strong about saying it.

Also, I've clearly been a teenager alot more recently than all of ya'll. I doubt there's a single teenager, especialy right before finals, who wouldn't be perfectly happy Bicycle Repair Man off and never coming back XD
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Ash Greytree wrote:
22xander wrote:I honestly think that thi, will turn out to be "for their own good" as transformations are supposed to be. If they are a female squirl, it will turn out to be for their own good. Just like being a dog was for king
That’s true, it could be revealed that this is a “for their own good situation” where Marion had to be turned into a male or female squirrel for certain reasons we don’t know yet. Given how the arc frames him as sympathetic, I don’t think this is a situation where he deserved to be turned into a squirrel for some past infractions he committed. It could be along the lines of “The universe needs Marion to be a male or female squirrel now”. Or he’s a hapless victim of a larger circumstances which turned into a squirrel and he eventually links up with King and company and they figure out what that is. Just personally hoping that he’s male, again because the evidence currently leans towards that being the case, and because stories with elements where a character loses almost their entire former identity have never sat right with me. They give me a gut-wrenching tragic feeling.

I’m pretty sure Marion’s headed for a happy ending to his main arc in the future. I could deal with Marion being a male squirrel for the rest of his life no problem, but if he actually did get changed into a female squirrel, and by the end of his main character arc it turns out it’s permanent, I’d have to go lie down for a while. Even if he eventually came to terms with his new identity, starting to think of herself as female, etc. and being happy that way, having so much of what she was before that taken away would be crushingly bittersweet.
I trust in Rick to do it justice, so there's no worry there, but I totally understand your concerns because I share them too. Dropping someone into not one, but two kinds of dysphoria is a special kind a cruel, but I don't think Rick would do that without a plan to address it eventually. He's a good bean, we just gotta ride it out and see where the story takes both Marion and us.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Lockely wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:

I trust in Rick to do it justice, so there's no worry there, but I totally understand your concerns because I share them too. Dropping someone into not one, but two kinds of dysphoria is a special kind a cruel, but I don't think Rick would do that without a plan to address it eventually. He's a good bean, we just gotta ride it out and see where the story takes both Marion and us.
I agree with all this which is why I believe that Marion is going to be the hero of whatever developing plot is beginning. Like with King we need a character with a goal or ambition, something to fight for which is something that most animals simply don’t have. Fox said to King that he was content and happy with his life and it’s safe to assume that applies to all animals so no pet is going to bend over backwards to save the world. It needs to be an animal that has the knowledge and strive of a human but, well, the body of An animal. Enter Marion. The way Rick has developed him so far makes him a sympathetic underdog who can gather support and fans like with King who had the tragic backstory only Marion is the character who lost everything in the present and the reader would want him to get it back. It’s a personal preference of who or what Marion should be when he accomplishes that. If he remains a squirrel it at least helps build bridges between animals and humans but I have a feeling before it’s over for good Marion will be human again. At least he’ll still have the perspective and insight to build those bridges but from the human side which might be better since we already have King.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even when he turns back into a human he can still have those experiences and it can help him to be the one that gets humans and animals to support one another.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm not ready to see Marion in a messianic context just yet. I'd first like to see how he interacts with another animal.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well of course. I wasn't suggesting that he get it now. I don't wanna rush too far ahead.