2019/05/20 - Power Up

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/05/20 - Power Up

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/05/20 - Power Up]
Title Text: blue bull gives you...palpitations

Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/05/20 - Power Up

Post by Saturn381 »

And then he died of a heart attack. The end.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Yeah no... you should’ve thought of the body-caffeine ratio
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Oh dear, he’s gonna be chased out of the house, isn’t he?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Well, I would like to personally retract some earlier theories. And also say, YESSS! This got real interesting real fast!

Now it is time to have some fun. :D
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Blue Bull and Red Demon are quite the drinks!

Also, Hurray, a new character entered the fold! Welcome, new character!
Saturn381 wrote:And then he died of a heart attack. The end.
First the granola, now this.
A new demise in every page!

Man, this is defenitely my new Game of Thrones!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Oh no, Marion...
Douglas Collier wrote: dear, he’s gonna be chased out of the house, isn’t he?
That's what I'm expecting, but maybe his mom will be supportive?
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I think I'm going to start calling this Marion's Law. It's like Murphy's law which is "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" and instead "anything that can go wrong after being turned into an animal will go wrong."

Okay, what self respecting teen uses the yellow pages or even knows what a phone book is?
Silly Zealot wrote:Blue Bull and Red Demon are quite the drinks!

Also, Hurray, a new character entered the fold! Welcome, new character!
There goes my grand theory about how we would never see one of the parents because they're human. Ooops. Oh well, I put it out in the universe and the universe answered.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Aw, look, he's making a little paper den!

Well, he’s tried for an answer
in all the logical places.
Now he’s going to have to think;
put his brain through it’s paces.
I’m guessing this is his Mom here,
a Lady of obvious power.
What will she think of coming home
into a little nuts’ tower?
Will she hear his bonkers tale?
Will she kick her out on her tail?
Will she check herself in the bin
as her son’s life goes off the rail?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Well, now you've done it, Marion. It would have been hard enough explaining things while not wired up on caffene, but now you'll be lucky not to land in a wildlife rehabilitation center!
Last edited by Keldor on Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

He dodged a bullet with the sugared cereal, only to take a double barrel shotgun of caffeine.

Also I know from personal experience that what Marion's probably feeling is no laughing matter at all. I once went through almost two 44 ounce cups of mountain dew in a single 8 hour work shift, and I ended up going to the emergency room later that night because I legit thought I was having a heart attack. That's scary stuff.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

...Seriously?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

In my defense I was right about one thing though. I did say that his next step would be checking the internet and I was right.
But I was sooo wrong about his mother. Glad I did not put money on this.

Please. Please don't do the most obvious thing and kick him out, Julia. Don't scream. DON'T FREAK OUT. Everyone remain calm because there is a much better way of handling this situation without doing the most cliche thing imaginable.

Wait a minute. "Marion's Mom?" Not Julia but Marion's Mom? Doesn't that seem silly?
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

As a doctor, I can approve, that was a very stupid idea. Palpitations (the feeling of your heart beating) aren't that bad, Tachycardia ([very] fast heart rate) is.
Edit, because I got soft ninja'd by Fb: Even if it is cliche, how would you react if you don't know anything about Transformation actually existing or Gendertransformation... The only way she would know is by the calls she recieved on her Voicemailbox, but who actually checks them...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Jakkal wrote: Edit, because I got soft ninja'd by Fb: Even if it is cliche, how would you react if you don't know anything about Transformation actually existing or Gendertransformation... The only way she would know is by the calls she recieved on her Voicemailbox, but who actually checks them...
Well she could simply faint or Marion could quickly inform her of what is going on then she faints. Or she could be incredibly calm about the entire situation and pour herself a glass of wine. We still don't know what she does for a living. It could be a occupation that is so extreme that coming home to a squirrel laying on her coffee table doesn't even faze her.
Or she could be a huge animal lover and simply be like "Hello little one, what are you doing here?"
Marion: "Mom, it's me, Marion. I woke up as a squirrel and I can't figure out why or how to change back!"
Then she faints.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Douglas Collier wrote:Oh dear, he’s gonna be chased out of the house, isn’t he?
fenrirblack wrote: Please. Please don't do the most obvious thing and kick him out, Julia. Don't scream. DON'T FREAK OUT. Everyone remain calm because there is a much better way of handling this situation without doing the most cliche thing imaginable.
Great. I am going to be spending the next 48 hours preparing myself emotionaly for that.
fenrirblack wrote: Wait a minute. "Marion's Mom?" Not Julia but Marion's Mom? Doesn't that seem silly?
If she isn't tagged by her first name, that means she won't do participate much in the story, and if she doesn't participate much in the story, that means.....Oh boy, Marion really is getting kicked out, isn't he?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Wait a minute. "Marion's Mom?" Not Julia but Marion's Mom? Doesn't that seem silly?
If she isn't tagged by her first name, that means she won't do participate much in the story, and if she doesn't participate much in the story, that means.....Oh boy, Marion really is getting kicked out, isn't he?
Still more than King's mother ever got. She is still listed as "DENIZENS OF HEAVEN." Not King's mom or even Mrs. Robinson.

I think we should face the facts. Marion is about to tossed on his tail harder than Tiger.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I do admit that I am quite impressed how he was able to open that can with one hand so casually, yet wonder why in the world he destroyed that poor phonebook.
fenrirblack wrote:Well she could simply faint or Marion could quickly inform her of what is going on then she faints. Or she could be incredibly calm about the entire situation and pour herself a glass of wine.
She calmly proceeded to pour herself a glass of wine:
I am sorry. (Not sorry)

Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Of all the ways to get to school, "option Hammy from Over The Hedge" has officially crashed an burned.
fenrirblack wrote:There goes my grand theory about how we would never see one of the parents because they're human. Ooops. Oh well, I put it out in the universe and the universe answered.
Granted, there still weren't any human faces in this strip.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Aw, look, he's making a little paper den!
Why do you think he did that? It's a very squirrel thing to do. I don't see a sane reason for Marion tearing up so many pages. He might be succumbing to squirrel instincts, but I that would spell bad news for Marion's future trying to live a human life and we haven't seen something like that before (then again, the only thing against that is King not wanting to sniff butts).
fenrirblack wrote:Wait a minute. "Marion's Mom?" Not Julia but Marion's Mom? Doesn't that seem silly?
I found the tag unusual as well, especially considering we already know her name and the owners' tags are their name.
Jakkal wrote:Edit, because I got soft ninja'd by Fb: Even if it is cliche, how would you react if you don't know anything about Transformation actually existing or Gendertransformation... The only way she would know is by the calls she recieved on her Voicemailbox, but who actually checks them...
Than wouldn't help because the message wasn't saved due to her full inbox. At best it would say "missed call from Marion", but she could interpret that as he called because there was a crazy squirrel in the house.
fenrirblack wrote:I think we should face the facts. Marion is about to tossed on his tail harder than Tiger.
That would at least answer the question of if Marion's mom trusts her son as far as she can she can throw him.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

Silly Zealot wrote:[the gif]
Now I can not unsee how the label is being mirroed while she turns herself around...
UnseenPanther

Post by UnseenPanther »

The simultaneous use of he and she in this thread is very interesting to me.

I too am all for Marion not being kicked out but if I walk in my house and see papers all scattered around with a squirrel in the middle I'd be livid.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

Champion Wallace wrote:.
Jakkal wrote:Edit, because I got soft ninja'd by Fb: Even if it is cliche, how would you react if you don't know anything about Transformation actually existing or Gendertransformation... The only way she would know is by the calls she recieved on her Voicemailbox, but who actually checks them...
Than wouldn't help because the message wasn't saved due to her full inbox. At best it would say "missed call from Marion", but she could interpret that as he called because there was a crazy squirrel in the house..
oh, you are right, my bad, so she just recieved the call. Which make me wonder. What she is doing for a living. 3 hours after Marion going to school [or standing up] she comes back. It is not a typical nightshift, or early shift in any shape or form.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I love the teenager enthusiasm, throwing himself whole-heartedly at a problem he has no idea where to begin with, and I love the teenaged limitations of not actually getting anywhere with the problem. It feels really true to character :D
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Kjnda surprised Rick didn't push the Bland Name joke even further by having Marion drink Blue Bull Red Version
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Pretty sure the caffeine overdose is a reason for the shredded papers.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, what self respecting teen uses the yellow pages or even knows what a phone book is?
Not sure what Marion was expecting to do with the yellow pages in the first place. Call the local wizards? Call that weird white fox?

Personal Theory? Marion's situation is a Batman Gambit by Pete to get back his powers. With his apparent affinity for transformations (IIRC, all Transformations, sans Mr. Milton have been caused by him) and Kitsune seeming to actually want what's best for the Mortals, he might give him his powers back to reverse Marion's situation, and him finding a loophole to keep his powers.

Can you tell I really like Pete yet
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Geartooth wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Okay, what self respecting teen uses the yellow pages or even knows what a phone book is?
Not sure what Marion was expecting to do with the yellow pages in the first place. Call the local wizards? Call that weird white fox?

Personal Theory? Marion's situation is a Batman Gambit by Pete to get back his powers. With his apparent affinity for transformations (IIRC, all Transformations, sans Mr. Milton have been caused by him) and Kitsune seeming to actually want what's best for the Mortals, he might give him his powers back to reverse Marion's situation, and him finding a loophole to keep his powers.

It cannot be a gambit by Pete to get his powers back. He would need powers to transform Marion in the first place and he hasn't got any.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Geartooth wrote:

It cannot be a gambit by Pete to get his powers back. He would need powers to transform Marion in the first place and he hasn't got any.
Didn't Thomas get transformed despite Pete having been turned into Craig by then?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Geartooth wrote:Didn't Thomas get transformed despite Pete having been turned into Craig by then?
That was a magical trap left behind by Pete, not a direct action by Pete himself.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Yes, but the magic coin is in posession of Steward and Craig (I mean Pete, I mean Craig, no, wait, I mean...), probably doesn't know that.
Geartooth wrote:Can you tell I really like Pete yet
You should get in touch with Dissension, he's the head of Pete's fanclub. Total members: er......two, apparently. That's two more than I expected.

Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

leinglo wrote:That was a magical trap left behind by Pete, not a direct action by Pete himself.
But this shows his powers are still lingering after his transformation, and things cursed by him prior still retain some sort of power. The Macguffin (MacGriffin?) doesn't have to be the coin.

Also where do I join this fanclub
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Geartooth wrote:
leinglo wrote:That was a magical trap left behind by Pete, not a direct action by Pete himself.
But this shows his powers are still lingering after his transformation, and things cursed by him prior still retain some sort of power. The Macguffin (MacGriffin?) doesn't have to be the coin.

It's likely that once an object is imbued with power, the owner of that power doesn't need to constantly refresh that power.

Just like cursed items in D&D, you lay the curse and it's there until the curse is deliberately dispelled or the item destroyed.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Lockely wrote:
Geartooth wrote:But this shows his powers are still lingering after his transformation, and things cursed by him prior still retain some sort of power. The Macguffin (MacGriffin?) doesn't have to be the coin.

It's likely that once an object is imbued with power, the owner of that power doesn't need to constantly refresh that power.

Just like cursed items in D&D, you lay the curse and it's there until the curse is deliberately dispelled or the item destroyed.
The most that Craig would probably be able to do with the coin is understand how it works, and potentially how to disarm it or reverse it's effect. But, again, Craig doesn't know about the coin to begin with. Even if he's seen it, unless he sees it being used, or it has some magical signature he might be able to recognize, he has no way of knowing that Steward's coin is part of his old cursed treasure pile.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Geartooth wrote: The Macguffin (MacGriffin?) doesn't have to be the coin.
Hmm, good point. Also, nice pun!
Geartooth wrote: Also where do I join this fanclub
As long as you love that Blue Bird-Brain (B3 for short), you are already in!
Lockely wrote:Just like cursed items in D&D, you lay the curse and it's there until the curse is deliberately dispelled or the item destroyed.
I was going to say this isn't really like Dungeons and Dragons, but then I remembered that it kind of is.

...Man, Pete infinitely scarier before we learned he was just a cosmic teenage LARPer.

Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

leinglo wrote: Craig doesn't know about the coin to begin with. Even if he's seen it, unless he sees it being used, or it has some magical signature he might be able to recognize, he has no way of knowing that Steward's coin is part of his old cursed treasure pile.
Craig is very much Pete. It has been seen he has memories of being Pete. That and Kitsune is sticking around with him and Draig and their mother, mostly to taunt them.
Last edited by Padgriffin on Mon May 20, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivar

Post by Olivar »

Why am I getting Sammy vibes all of a sudden....
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Olivar wrote:Why am I getting Sammy vibes all of a sudden....
Oh good, glad I'm not the only one that thought of that upon seeing this. :lol: I got reminded the instant I saw that can, and thought to myself, "This is probably a bad idea.".
Nihil

Post by Nihil »

There should be a poll to see how many readers googled "yellow pages" after reading this comic.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Geartooth wrote:
leinglo wrote: Craig doesn't know about the coin to begin with. Even if he's seen it, unless he sees it being used, or it has some magical signature he might be able to recognize, he has no way of knowing that Steward's coin is part of his old cursed treasure pile.
Craig is very much Pete. It has been seen he has memories of being Pete. That and Kitsune is sticking around with him and Draig and their mother, mostly to taunt them.
What I meant is, Craig/Pete doesn't know that one of the cursed coins made it out of the temple and is currently at large. As far as he's concerned, everything that was inside it is gone. Thus, unless there's something that makes Craig realize "wait a minute, that's one of mine!" he has no reason to suspect that Steward's coin is anything other than an ordinary coin.
UnseenPanther

Post by UnseenPanther »

Nihil wrote:There should be a poll to see how many readers googled "yellow pages" after reading this comic.
It hasn't been THAT long.