2019/05/20 - Power Up

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
NHWestoN

Re: 2019/05/20 - Power Up

Post by NHWestoN »

"Uh, hi, Mom ... It's not what you think ... Let me explain ...." Hope she didn't have a bad day at the office.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

leinglo wrote: What I meant is, Craig/Pete doesn't know that one of the cursed coins made it out of the temple and is currently at large. As far as he's concerned, everything that was inside it is gone. Thus, unless there's something that makes Craig realize "wait a minute, that's one of mine!" he has no reason to suspect that Steward's coin is anything other than an ordinary coin.
I was implying that this was intentional, instead of the coin being spread around. The coin's effects have been shown as instantaneous, so Marion would have been turned into a squirrel last night instead of just waking up as one. I don't think he's old enough to get drunk, so that rules out the theory that he accidentally picked it up last night drunk and didn't notice.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Julia seems a pretty conservative type to even have a YP in the house, and she's got that Karen hair, so this is likely to go bad.

As for the coin, I can recognize software I wrote 40 years ago, so why wouldn't Craig recognize a curse he wrote probably not that long ago?

As for Marion's state of mind, it's final's week and they seem to be a bit OCD so extreme studying can explain everything.
Geartooth wrote:Craig is very much Pete. It has been seen he has memories of being Pete. That and Kitsune is sticking around with him and Draig and their mother, mostly to taunt them.
In an earlier strip Kitsune said that he's everywhere anyway, so he's like Omnipresent Man, and he's be sticking around Craig and Draig simply because he's sticking around everywhere.

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Ooooohhhhh mom is back :o
Now things are becoming interesting...well more interesting :mrgreen:

Am I the only one, who wonders what "Blue Bull" tastes like? Like your ordinary energy drink or does it have a certain flavour?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:Ooooohhhhh mom is back :o
Now things are becoming interesting...well more interesting :mrgreen:

Am I the only one, who wonders what "Blue Bull" tastes like? Like your ordinary energy drink or does it have a certain flavour?
Well, if Red Bull gives you Wings, then maybe Blue Bull gives you, I dunno, a tail?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

What if you already have wings? Does it give you EXTRA wings?
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Does Marion's curled up position kinda look familar ;)

I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

You know, Marion, surrounding yourself with little wads of pulp and plant based material might be taken as "nesting behavior" for an arboreal critter.

Drinking Blue Bull? Yah got me there. ;)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Geartooth wrote:Not sure what Marion was expecting to do with the yellow pages in the first place. Call the local wizards?
Maybe it's a Chicago yellow pages.
fenrirblack wrote:I think we should face the facts. Marion is about to tossed on his tail harder than Tiger.
Yeah, Marion's mom isn't going to take this well. If there's one thing I learned from Christmas Vacation, it's that people lose their minds when a squirrel gets in the house.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If all else fails - Blame the videogames. Your mom will believe you. Even if you are a squirrel.

Especially Fortnite.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

I doubt that any screaming/fainting is going to ensue. This is basically the equivalent of a young delinquent clumsily sneaking into your house to steal cookies.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
nikonraccoon

Post by nikonraccoon »

Olivar wrote:Why am I getting Sammy vibes all of a sudden....
I was about to ask, did Over the Hedge and Steve Carell lie to me?
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the plot! This is not a drill! Something is going to happen!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

nikonraccoon wrote:
Olivar wrote:Why am I getting Sammy vibes all of a sudden....
I was about to ask, did Over the Hedge and Steve Carell lie to me?
That's Hammy.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Fish Preferred wrote:I doubt that any screaming/fainting is going to ensue. This is basically the equivalent of a young delinquent clumsily sneaking into your house to steal cookies.
That would be more accurate if he was changed into a dog or a cat. Something more familiar and closer to that of a kid instead of a large rodent. A feral at that.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I can think of a number of jobs she might have with odd hours. My mother was a real estate agent when I was in high school. There were days that she'd be out of the house before 7am to meet a client or do "caravan", where the local agents would basically go in a pack from house to house to see the new listings. Then she'd be back by noon since she worked in the same town.

She could also have a regular office job and just comes home for lunch.

I'm with others that I'd rather like to see his mother not completely freaking out and kicking Marion out. Though it's hard to see how the plot moves forward easily if she doesn't. Not knowing what Rick has planned, of course.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder what sites Marion visited in his Google search? "Rodent Restorations"? "Transform-inex?" "Rare Conterindications for Excessive Nutella Consumption?"
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote:Wonder what sites Marion visited in his Google search? "Rodent Restorations"? "Transform-inex?" "Rare Conterindications for Excessive Nutella Consumption?"
"Directions To Merlin's House"?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now that Julia has come home and seen a squirrel in her house about to have a heart attack from the caffeine and the crumpled up pieces of paper that he used to try to write down ideas to fix his transformation, I'm gettin ready to cringe as she freaks out and chases him out of the house with a broom.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh no, such energy drinks are killers for creatures with already fast beating hearts... :? Besides caffeine, also taurine should do its bad effects when abused. Probably there's also sugar, so to give this effect, too. :P With those tools you're not going to solve anything, unfortunately. :roll: Poor Marion, and now that his mother is finally back home, what can still go wrong? :|
We need to know the truth about what's going on...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure the truth will eventually come to light soon.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure the truth will eventually come to light soon.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm sure the truth will eventually come to light soon.
Well, soon is relative. I suspect we will see something like an explanation before fall sets in.... :D
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Frank

Post by Frank »

IhadacoupleRedBull's.HaveyoueverhadaRedBull?I'dneverhadaRedBullbeforebutIhadonelastnightandIreallylikeRedBull!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

Amusingly, I just sat down with a Red Bull.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:Amusingly, I just sat down with a Red Bull.
Twenty years ago as a dumb grad student I was waiting for a plane from LAX to Boston when I wandered into a Sweet Factory and bought a back of chocolate covered espresso beans and proceeded to eat most of the bag in the waiting area.

Then I boarded a plane for a six hour flight. I realized about the time we hit cruising altitude just how big a mistake I made.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

At least now we know what Peanut was drinking.
Those drinks should come with a warning label. But at the same time Marion has never seen so much as a teenager than in that second panel. "I got my Blue Bull and am ready to surf the internet."
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

fenrirblack wrote:At least now we know what Peanut was drinking.
Those drinks should come with a warning label. But at the same time Marion has never seen so much as a teenager than in that second panel. "I got my Blue Bull and am ready to surf the internet."
I though that was a result of too much corn.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I remember when my yellow pages were white ………….. ;)
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I'd say Marion's best option here is to pretend he's Marion's new pet.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

CunningFox wrote:I'd say Marion's best option here is to pretend he's Marion's new pet.
That might work better for the long term but not to convince his mother that he's not vermin. Honestly if he was going through the trouble of convincing her that her son allowed him to stay, he might as well try to explain what happened to him and be upfront about it. Pour on the tears a little that could help. Be as pathetic as possible.
leinglo wrote:
Geartooth wrote:
leinglo wrote: Craig doesn't know about the coin to begin with. Even if he's seen it, unless he sees it being used, or it has some magical signature he might be able to recognize, he has no way of knowing that Steward's coin is part of his old cursed treasure pile.
Craig is very much Pete. It has been seen he has memories of being Pete. That and Kitsune is sticking around with him and Draig and their mother, mostly to taunt them.
What I meant is, Craig/Pete doesn't know that one of the cursed coins made it out of the temple and is currently at large. As far as he's concerned, everything that was inside it is gone. Thus, unless there's something that makes Craig realize "wait a minute, that's one of mine!" he has no reason to suspect that Steward's coin is anything other than an ordinary coin.
Even if Pete did know what the coin was, I doubt he would act on it for at least two reasons. One being Kitsune is watching him so if he tried to make move then he would get in trouble. Two being that now that's he's mortal he really has nothing to gain from exploiting the coin. He was always evil and a nutcase but never wanted to destroy the world for the sake of anarchy just because he didn't care. Not to mention that he's definitely not smart enough now (or ever was honestly to come up with a clever scheme to utilize the coin to restore his powers). Steward on the other hand strikes me as someone who wants revenge on those who wronged him and would want to destroy Babylon Gardens.
Champion Wallace wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Aw, look, he's making a little paper den!
Why do you think he did that? It's a very squirrel thing to do. I don't see a sane reason for Marion tearing up so many pages. He might be succumbing to squirrel instincts, but I that would spell bad news for Marion's future trying to live a human life and we haven't seen something like that before (then again, the only thing against that is King not wanting to sniff butts).
Clearly he went haywire from the drink and began tearing through the pages one after another after checking each one and finding them all to be completely useless. Imagine him going, "NOPE!" *Tears page out. "NOPE!" *Tears page out. Until there is nothing left but a pile of NOTHING. All while having a panic attack combined with a reaction to the caffeine. He crumbled each one of the pages like one would normally do when frustrated or at least that's the common reaction seen on TV.
NHWestoN wrote:Wonder what sites Marion visited in his Google search? "Rodent Restorations"? "Transform-inex?" "Rare Conterindications for Excessive Nutella Consumption?"
Furaffinity?
dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm sure the truth will eventually come to light soon.
Well, soon is relative. I suspect we will see something like an explanation before fall sets in.... :D
It will most likely happen at the end of Year 11 which is next week but that is only a guess based on Rick's pattern of behavior.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Here's a thought that didn't occur to me until today. What if his mother works for the Mil5on ferrets? If so, she might be at least a little aware of the weirdness going on. Might have something to do with his transformation.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now THAT would be a twist that I wouldn't mind seeing.
shadowlucario50

Squirrel on the Table!

Post by shadowlucario50 »

I feel like Marion's going to be thrown out no matter what he says to Julia.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The problem as I see it is that Marion's mother's reaction will essentially set the tone, not only for the rest of this chapter, but for Marion's entire character arc. If she overreacts and Marion is forced to leave then we have a super tragic storyline that is essentially copying King's (his parents kicked him out and he was forced into a terrible situation by forces out of his control after being turned into an animal). This would also mean that Julia would be in the same running as Mrs. Robinson as "Worst Mother."
But, if she plays the calm collected mother who comforts and attempts to aid her son during this crisis then the plot will practically come to a standstill. Even if we skip the "Oh, Mom help, I woke up as a squirrel this morning and also I'm apparently female" then we still have to deal with the fallout. What is Julia supposed to do about this? Unless she does in fact have connections to Babylon Gardens and/or has inside knowledge to the usual weirdness that goes on but even still what would that mean? She drives Marion into the neighborhood and knocks on Tarot's door? Clearly that is not going to happen for a lot of reasons.
I mean there are options going forward starting with the "Cool Mom" path. The main one being that Marion chooses to leave of his own accord despite his mother's wishes or is kidnapped. Or (this is my personal choice) whoever is behind Marion's transformation shows up either in his bedroom or at his door at the very end which would make for an awesome finale. Imagine Steward knocking on the door and going "Hello, Marion."
Then there is the "Mom Freaks" path which is just heartbreaking now matter how you look at it. (Imagine the scene from the "Emperor's New Groove" when Cuzco is sitting in the rain at the beginning of the movie.) Anyway the main problem still remains that we don't know Marion's role in the comic. I personally believe he is essential to the developing story whether it be Steward's Coin and/or the Dino-Demon but we don't know that for sure just like we don't know how or why he was transformed. This has a huge effect on what happens next because if he is essential then he has to leave the house which means that Julia's role is probably going to be limited to probably just the next strip. Time is of the essence since we are down to four strips before the finale so whatever needs to happen to set up the grand plot for Marion's character needs to happen fast so we don't have time for hugs and kisses.
Then there is also a different path that is more of a combination of the two. Let's call it the "Uncool Mom" path. This is when Julia doesn't over react but doesn't handle it well either. To put it simply she would send Marion to his room or order him out of her sight because she simply cannot handle what is going on. He is not booted from the home but it's not great for him personally. So while she's cooling off and processing things Marion is forced into deep retrospection and calls Lois again for help.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:If she overreacts and Marion is forced to leave then we have a super tragic storyline that is essentially copying King's... This would also mean that Julia would be in the same running as Mrs. Robinson as "Worst Mother."
So mother makes an honest mistake that she should literally have no reason to recognize was a mistake, and that puts her in the running for worst mother? :|
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Upon further inspection, I see that can says Blue Bull and has a pair of cherries on it...
You're gonna run this joke into the ground, aint'cha, Rick?
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Wait, I wonder if something I written in the past had anything to do with that drink?
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Argent

Post by Argent »

Xane wrote:
Argent wrote:Amusingly, I just sat down with a Red Bull.
Woozles do NOT need caffeine or sugar. :?
One of the interesting things about having ADD is that I actually need stimulants to calm down, and after five years at a company that does random drug tests the paperwork involved with Adderal is just too much hassle so I self-medicate with caffeine.
tych

Post by tych »

UnseenPanther wrote:
Nihil wrote:There should be a poll to see how many readers googled "yellow pages" after reading this comic.
It hasn't been THAT long.
because nobody said anything yet go to youtube and type in Rotary Phone Teenager and click the first video at the top