2019/05/31 - Nuts To You

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/05/31 - Nuts To You

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You would have thought that since Ralph and Kevin are close to Fido and they now know he is dating Sabrina and she might be involved in shenanigans, they might take him to her. Sigh. I guess we have to wait several more strips before Marion finally gets help.
dr_eirik

Re: Praise the Opener of Ways!

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
shadowlucario50 wrote:That's... not what I expected next strip. There goes the theory of Marion being accepted by the forest animals since word spreads quickly. Unless this squirrel tell him to look towards the wisdom of the Opener of Ways, in which case he'll probably meet Jessica and Zach. And that would be... highly interesting, for sure.
……… which means Marion will soon meet Craig, Draig, and Badger and, when they hear his transformation experience, will be verrrrrrrrrrrry, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interested. :!:
Which would involve Kitsune, since he's watching the kits.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Narc? What sort of nuts have you got stashed?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

What in the world, Ralph and Kevin?! Someone just told he's been turned into a squirrel and you just walk away?
I never thought I'd see the day Ralph and Kevin would become negligent cops.

Boy, Marion can't catch a break. I bet this is among his top 100 worst days of his life. Top 50, even!
Saturn381 wrote:
not quite the scene from The Sword In The Stone
I get the reference.
Takes me back to my childhood!
I do have to admit when that squirrel appeared, I feared it would end up like in The Sword in the Stone, though what did happen wasn't much better.
IceKitsune wrote:Just more bad luck today. Also what in the world would squirrels have to even Narc on to the cops? They steal a bunch of nuts or something?
Maple syrup contraband.
And lots of peanut butter.
Mctwisp wrote:Wait until the squirrel discovers he's a girl :lol:
It won't matter. The Hand Acorn of Justice is unisex.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You would have thought that since Ralph and Kevin are close to Fido and they now know he is dating Sabrina and she might be involved in shenanigans, they might take him to her. Sigh. I guess we have to wait several more strips before Marion finally gets help.
The thing is though Ralph is a no nonsense cop and Kevin is well...you know so the idea of random transformation just goes right over their heads as, not really nonsense, but it their jurisdiction. Especially sense Marion is a squirrel therefore not worth their time. Now if he actually did say that he used to be human then they might have cared or been a little more curious. Marion has to make a call and now there is no way of knowing what would have happened if he told the entire truth instead of a vague question.
As much sense as it would be for Fido to mention Sabrina, I doubt he does just because it’s probably still not a popular subject around the other dogs. They seem tolerant of it but I don’t think it’s something they are actively curious about and Fido understands that it’s better left unsaid. Out of sight, out of mind.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
shadowlucario50 wrote:That's... not what I expected next strip. There goes the theory of Marion being accepted by the forest animals since word spreads quickly. Unless this squirrel tell him to look towards the wisdom of the Opener of Ways, in which case he'll probably meet Jessica and Zach. And that would be... highly interesting, for sure.
……… which means Marion will soon meet Craig, Draig, and Badger and, when they hear his transformation experience, will be verrrrrrrrrrrry, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interested. :!:
Which would involve Kitsune, since he's watching the kits.
His encounter with Kitsune will be interesting, for sure. The way Kitsune interacts with Marion is IMO going to depend on how long it is until they meet, and what kind of arcs Marion goes through before then. I agree with your earlier post in that I feel like Marion is going to be a long term character. If Marion meets Kitsune real soon, then there's gotta be some reason why Kitsune can't (or won't) change him back yet. If they encounter each other after Marion's been through multiple arcs and has had his character developed significantly, then Marion will in all likelihood get changed back to human. But Kitsune's also a trickster, so he could throw in some mischief to keep things fun.

It'd be nice to have Marion as not just a long term character, but a regular one as well, so I've been thinking of ways that he can stay in the comic as a squirrel while still getting a relatively happy ending. Maybe some Ranma-esque situation where he turns back into a squirrel when something specific happens to him, and he uses that to hang out with the pets whenever he gets a chance? That'd be pretty funny.

Edit: Or something more bittersweet (but more on the sweet side that I can handle) where Lois gets squirrelified as well, Kitsune can't change her back for some reason or another, and Marion decides to stay a squirrel to be with her.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Ash Greytree wrote:Him meeting up with Lois in the next strip (and him convincing her that it’s him) would be good. I could imagine a couple neat jokes coming from that.

[Marion sitting on her porch, waiting for Lois to get home. She walks up.]
Lois: “Oh, well if it isn’t ‘Marion’. Did he really send you over here all for a prank? Is he bribing you with some really good almonds or something?”
Marion: “You know, Lois, I’ve had a really terrible day, so: [embarrassing and funny PG-rated secret that only they both know and swore to never tell anyone].”
Lois: “MARION?!?”

And then in the next arc after this one:

[Marion is looking at a laptop screen, with an “I can’t believe this” look on his face. Lois walks in.]
Lois: “What’s wrong? Couldn’t come up with any leads again?”
Marion: “No, not this time. It’s just that, when I knew I was going to be taking exams this week-“
[Next panel shifts to show the laptop screen, with info about the General Obedience Exam on it.]
“This isn’t what I had in mind.”
These dialogues are official to me until proven otherwise! Good job! The last one made me feel a tinge of sadness.
Ash Greytree wrote:Edit: Or something more bittersweet (but more on the sweet side that I can handle) where Lois gets squirrelified as well, Kitsune can't change her back for some reason or another, and Marion decides to stay a squirrel to be with her.
Remember that they also have family and (probably) friends.

The Ramna theory would probably be the one that gives everyone a happy ending, though.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Silly Zealot wrote:Remember that they also have family and (probably) friends.
That's the thing that'd make it bittersweet.

Also, aside from Breele and Keene, I can't think of any couples that we see all the time that are not either felines or canines. I feel like a romantic pair of female squirrels would be a nice addition to the recurring cast.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:Remember that they also have family and (probably) friends.
That's the thing that'd make it bittersweet.

Also, aside from Breele and Keene, I can't think of any couples that we see all the time that are not either felines or canines. I feel like a romantic pair of female squirrels would be a nice addition to the recurring cast.
Don't forget Zach Rabbit and Jessica.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

NHWestoN wrote:Don't forget Zach Rabbit and Jessica.
I see what you did there.

Also, the whole Sword in the Stone squirrel thing was so sad! I wish they'd followed it up by saying that's where Guenivere came from, or something.

As for here, I think it'd be funny if, as Marion is falling from the tree, he finds out he's a flying squirrel. Maybe like Rocky from Rocky & Bullwinkle. See how much he freaks out when he starts flying, and realizes he doesn't know how to control his flightpath.
Last edited by TheOne on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Frank

Post by Frank »

Jakkal wrote:
Keeshah wrote:
D-Rock wrote:not quite the scene from The Sword In The Stone
Don't you mean the NUT JOB?
oh please, we have class
And you're late for it!

...it was funnier in my head
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It wouldn't be funny any way you tried to say it. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:
It'd be nice to have Marion as not just a long term character, but a regular one as well, so I've been thinking of ways that he can stay in the comic as a squirrel while still getting a relatively happy ending. Maybe some Ranma-esque situation where he turns back into a squirrel when something specific happens to him, and he uses that to hang out with the pets whenever he gets a chance? That'd be pretty funny.

Edit: Or something more bittersweet (but more on the sweet side that I can handle) where Lois gets squirrelified as well, Kitsune can't change her back for some reason or another, and Marion decides to stay a squirrel to be with her.
I could see Kitsune partly changing him back like either make him make again or even better return him to his normal height but still be a squirrel so he can have a fairly “normal” life and do regular things. At least no one would question it if he said I used to be human. Anyway, I could see Kitsune not being able to undo the curse completely because of something dumb like “it’s Pete’s curse” or “it’s demonic magic so divine magic has no effect.”

I don’t see Lois being squirrelified but instead change into a different animal. Her also becoming a squirrel would be too on the nose. Plus it would be weird if Marion is still female even then.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You would have thought that since Ralph and Kevin are close to Fido and they now know he is dating Sabrina and she might be involved in shenanigans, they might take him to her. Sigh. I guess we have to wait several more strips before Marion finally gets help.
Really? What makes you think they'd know she'd haven more insight into weird transformations?
Silly Zealot wrote:What in the world, Ralph and Kevin?! Someone just told he's been turned into a squirrel and you just walk away?
I never thought I'd see the day Ralph and Kevin would become negligent cops.

Boy, Marion can't catch a break. I bet this is among his top 100 worst days of his life. Top 50, even!
He didn't say he was turned into a squirrel personally. For all they know the squirrel could've been from the cult looking for power.
Ash Greytree wrote:Also, aside from Breele and Keene, I can't think of any couples that we see all the time that are not either felines or canines. I feel like a romantic pair of female squirrels would be a nice addition to the recurring cast.
Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich and Mr. and Mrs. Holloway
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Really? What makes you think they'd know she'd haven more insight into weird transformations?
Kevin: Hey, you know someone who might know about this kind of stuff, Fido’s girlfriend.
Ralph: Why would she know anything?
Kevin: Isn’t she into weird supernatural stuff like magic?
Ralph: How should I know that?
Kevin: Let’s go find him and ask then.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

fenrirblack wrote:Her also becoming a squirrel would be too on the nose. Plus it would be weird if Marion is still female even then.
I mean, a romantic pairing of two female squirrels who used to be human (where one of was formerly male) with them also having been a couple back when they were human isn't any weirder than a pine marten who died back in the 1800s incarnating to be with his wealthy heir ferret boyfriend after they went through literal Hell together. Or a human who got turned into a corgi to serve as a gryphon's avatar in a cosmic game of DnD falling in love with and eventually marrying his siberian husky girlfriend.
Last edited by Ash Greytree on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

You know, there are two other residents to Babylon Gardens who could desperately use some time on-panel...
Anyone else want to join me in betting everything they own on Marion coming across Pablo? ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Mr. Whisper wrote:You know, there are two other residents to Babylon Gardens who could desperately use some time on-panel...
Anyone else want to join me in betting everything they own on Marion coming across Pablo? ;)
That would be awesome but Pueblo already has a partner. I realized that every character seems to have a counterpart except Marion at this point. But I guess it will either be unknown pet partner or simply Lois.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Kevin: Hey, you know someone who might know about this kind of stuff, Fido’s girlfriend.
Ralph: Why would she know anything?
Kevin: Isn’t she into weird supernatural stuff like magic?
Ralph: How should I know that?
Kevin: Let’s go find him and ask then.
I don't recall them even really hinting that it's generally known that Sabby's a Witch - or into the magics in any way. She's been better about hiding it than a certain Pomeranian. A few know, yes (Mungo, Fox, probably Fido) but it seems they've kept her secret.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: I don't recall them even really hinting that it's generally known that Sabby's a Witch - or into the magics in any way. She's been better about hiding it than a certain Pomeranian. A few know, yes (Mungo, Fox, probably Fido) but it seems they've kept her secret.
Actually it really isn't that well known.
I'm also not sure how many would make the connection between a squirrel, who claims to be a human, and some random magical artifact.
I think even if King, Tarot, Sabrina & Co. would hear what Marion says, they would more likely think some other demigods started a new game.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

TheOne wrote:Also, the whole Sword in the Stone squirrel thing was so sad! I wish they'd followed it up by saying that's where Guenivere came from, or something.
I like to believe that squirrel moved on and found a boyfriend elsewhere.
NHWestoN wrote:Don't forget Zach Rabbit and Jessica.
Champion Wallace wrote:Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich and Mr. and Mrs. Holloway
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 8570 times

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Housepets … it's funny, mysterious, other-worldly, dramatic … AND romantic. ;) Just gotta love it!
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Silly Zealot wrote:
TheOne wrote:Also, the whole Sword in the Stone squirrel thing was so sad! I wish they'd followed it up by saying that's where Guenivere came from, or something.
I like to believe that squirrel moved on and found a boyfriend elsewhere.
I researched into it after watching the movie, because Merlin makes a statement that squirrels are monogamous. Merlin's statement isn't true. Squirrels have multiple partners per season. They're not like eagles, which choose one partner, and then never mate with another.

So I can see how the girl squirrel from The Sword in the Stone could've found another mate. I just wish the scene didn't end in such a depressing way.

Back to Marion, though... It'd be cool to see Marion's reaction to some lovey-dovey girl squirrel. I'm sure there's more than one fish in the sea squirrel in the forest.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: I don't recall them even really hinting that it's generally known that Sabby's a Witch - or into the magics in any way. She's been better about hiding it than a certain Pomeranian. A few know, yes (Mungo, Fox, probably Fido) but it seems they've kept her secret.
It’s nots really a secret though. I mean I guess the Game and being avatars was but beyond that I don’t think it would have mattered if people knew they were into magic and studying the arcane. Most pets would have thought they were just weird.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not sure Marion's sufficiently resigned to a life of squirreldom to look for a mate just yet.....
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

The Sword and the Stone comments made me wonder if the newcomer here was a reference to her. The color patterns are pretty similar to the female squirrel from the movie, and the body shape is really close to Marion. Might be a coincidence, but I suspect there is a small reference here.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Given that we started talking about The Sword in the Stone because of the alt-text, I'd say it MAY have been intentional.
TheOne wrote:I researched into it after watching the movie, because Merlin makes a statement that squirrels are monogamous. Merlin's statement isn't true. Squirrels have multiple partners per season. They're not like eagles, which choose one partner, and then never mate with another.
I bet your so-called "research" also tells you that Arthur and Merlin were fictional and there are no confirmed cases of people turned into birds or dishes washing themselves, bah!
I'm going to trust Merlin's judgement on this one.
fenrirblack wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:You know, there are two other residents to Babylon Gardens who could desperately use some time on-panel...
That would be awesome but Pueblo already has a partner.
"No, that was just him bringing his mom along to the prom."

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
That would be awesome but Pueblo already has a partner.
"No, that was just him bringing his mom along to the prom."
Would Pueblo make a good partner for Marion. He’s young and naive and still new to human society (even though he has a better grip on it then his mother). But on the other hand he it is because he is new that he could benefit from having a role in a larger arc especially one that could bring him closer to the pets. So far his interactions with others, personally, was really with Rockstar. All the other scenes with Pueblo always had Gale as a buffer.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Pueblo seems like a pretty open minded little guy … assuming he's no longer subject to predatory impulses now that he and Gale are becoming "civilized."
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Pueblo is the most level-headed now, apparently, telling her mom not to threaten people over the phone.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Silly Zealot wrote:Pueblo is the most level-headed now, apparently, telling her mom not to threaten people over the phone.
Actually, yeah, that could have legal ramifications, Sil.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Isn't Pueblo a boy and not a girl? I'm not really good with genders. XD
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Yeah, Pueblo's definitely a boy, Gale says so here.

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Pueblo is still so precious. He needs to have some kind of role in the comic. I would love to see him in school still even more then the cubs.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:Pueblo is still so precious. He needs to have some kind of role in the comic. I would love to see him in school still even more then the cubs.
What little we've seen, he seems to be more likely to make friends with anyone, human and animal alike. I'm not sure what age or grade he'd be in, though. He doesn't strike me as high school age. Perhaps around 6th?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Pueblo is still so precious. He needs to have some kind of role in the comic. I would love to see him in school still even more then the cubs.
What little we've seen, he seems to be more likely to make friends with anyone, human and animal alike. I'm not sure what age or grade he'd be in, though. He doesn't strike me as high school age. Perhaps around 6th?
We know he’s younger than the cubs who are at least 14. The wolves moved into Babylon gardens in year 2 so 2009. Gale wasn’t allowed to have a child before then so he has to be less then 10. I’d say 8 or 9 years old.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He's so precocious that I wouldn't have an issue with putting him at 7 or 6.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

One hour left till End Of Year 11. Everyone, send Marion your energy in hopes that his luck turns around!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If I learned anything these past few days is that stories don’t always have happy endings but the character finds growth and solace in the end. More importantly things don’t always end the best way or the way you want. Literary writing sucks like that.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:If I learned anything these past few days is that stories don’t always have happy endings but the character finds growth and solace in the end. More importantly things don’t always end the best way or the way you want. Literary writing sucks like that.
Good literary writing reflects life and, when you consider things that 'don't always end the best way or the way you want', it's LIFE that sucks like that.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)