2019/06/03 - End Of Year Eleven

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/06/03 - End Of Year Eleven

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/06/03 - End Of Year Eleven]
Title Text: that's "to be continued" not "the end" please stop crying

Sometimes all you have is your own hope, no matter how broken it's gotten.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/06/03 - End Of Year Eleven

Post by Saturn381 »

I wanna give Marion a hug right now. :(
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welp that’s all folks. Please form a orderly line to submit in your predictions, hopes, and dreams for Year 12.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Well... That's a way of ending the year

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Tree house of tears - how poignant....... :(
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

At least Marion has a relatively safe place to take shelter.

Oh who are we kidding, with Marion’s luck he’ll probably fall asleep only to wake up being carried off by a hawk or something.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

That's a pretty dark end-of-year strip.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Wow, what a way to break with tradition, Rick :cry:
I'm really enjoying this story, and I can't wait to see where you're going to take it
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Down amongst the nut folk,
up amongst the trees;
night falls on the subject,
holding to his knees.
The day of madness ends
but the madness goes on;
perhaps tomorrow will answer
this small phenomenon.
Sleep tight, little Marion,
before you face the world;
however the future goes,
tonight you face it curled.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Let me guess, to get in-state tuition Marion was planning on going to the university of REDACTED. Do you think the tree house is Marion's, Lois's, or someone randoms's? Ash Greytree kinda predicted this, but in a "I hope it's not like this" kinda way.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

So the BIG question, who’s treehouse is this? Because we’ve seen it before

Someone we know or a new character perhaps? Lois or Marion’s own treehouse because it would make more sense for a human to have a treehouse compared to a pet. Or is it just something abandoned in the wilderness which opens the door to the feral path again.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Oooohhh...poor little guy needs a hug :(
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

I forgot we would most likely not find out how or why for a while... I was hoping... Oh well.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Oh, forewarning.

TO BE CONTINUED means, most likely, that we will NOT see Marion again for a short while!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

Yeah, definitely want to give the little dude a hug. And probably some soup. Like those Campbells commercials where they eat the soup and everything is better.

This is definitely a sad TBC, but it's always darkest before dawn.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Going straight for that emotional gut-punch downer ending to close out the year and the arc. Dang. Just... dang.

Things gotta get worse before they can get better. Marion’s going to have to get broken down a bit so he can be built back up and developed. Shoulda known that this arc would end with him up a creek without a paddle. Or up a tree without an acorn, in this case. At least he has shelter. My hope for the start of Year 12 is that Marion’s going to wake up hungry and try to forage for food, since as far as we know he only had that energy drink the previous day. We’re gonna get some humor as he slowly acclimates to new life as a wild squirrel. Probably going to be a while longer until any big plot points get revealed on why he transformed.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Oh god, I feel so sorry for the guy.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Welp, Kitsune did say that there are ‘A surprising number of humans who are into that...’

Without going into too much detail as to what that is, Marion and his girlfriend could still work things out. She would just need to be really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY open to it.

On second thought, Marion might want to consider finding a certain coin and polymorphing his girlfriend into a male squirrel, tout de suite.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

JageshemashFTW wrote:Welp, Kitsune did say that there are ‘A surprising number of humans who are into that...’

Without going into too much detail as to what that is, Marion and his girlfriend could still work things out. She would just need to be really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY open to it.
Hey, if Joey and Squeak can make it work...
JageshemashFTW wrote: On second thought, Marion might want to consider finding a certain coin and polymorphing his girlfriend into a male squirrel, tout de suite.
We might not have known him for long, but I'm pretty sure Marion isn't the kind of person that would consider ruining the life of someone he cares about to make himself feel better. Even if his chances of transforming back turn out to be hopeless.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Aw, I just want to hug that poor squirrel. Keep your hopes and head up, Marion.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Argent

Post by Argent »

So, we're in a Russian Literature arc. Yeh, I know Kafka was German, but it took the Russians to truly master the literature of misery.
fenrirblack wrote:So the BIG question, who’s treehouse is this? Because we’ve seen it before
The one in that strip has what looks like a corrugated metal saltbox roof. This one's an open gable and looks like it's unfinished or tarpaper.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Ninkurou

Post by Ninkurou »

Until now we have been seeing Marion perspective of the happening, but we cannot ignore that there are other perspectives.

Had you imagine how his mon, parents and friends are? They must be very worried, thinking that he runned away from house.

Also, what will happen when the police is contacted and sent to find Marion?
Of course, the best in this kind of work are the police dogs, they have a huge chance of being charged with the search, but does Marion still has the same smell? Does the smell of his necklace is enough?

This might end up being a wild territory story. Let me explain, normally in transformation stories, the character is separated from his old life. (The movie Bother Bear, Sheeps and Wolves, Princess and the Frog and King's storie are examples of that.) After being separated (Being in new form while far from home) they have to learn a lesson which will allow then to either turn back to their old forms or decide to stay in their new forms.
If Marion does find a way back and try to life his old life while in the new form, what come to mind is the novel "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka. In this novel a man is turned into a cockroach, and he find a way back to his family, however, due to his new form, day by day their love start to fade, their relationship get more and more sour. Until one point where his parents actually start wishing for him to die. (Yes, it's pretty ugly)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Saturn381 wrote:I wanna give Marion a hug right now. :(
I think we all do.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

fenrirblack wrote:So the BIG question, who’s treehouse is this? Because we’ve seen it before

Someone we know or a new character perhaps? Lois or Marion’s own treehouse because it would make more sense for a human to have a treehouse compared to a pet. Or is it just something abandoned in the wilderness which opens the door to the feral path again.
It's obviously Bart's treehouse.

Man, I keep making Simpsons references, don't I? I need to get a new hobby.
Argent wrote:So, we're in a Russian Literature arc. Yeh, I know Kafka was German, but it took the Russians to truly master the literature of misery.
Life not soft, like US cotton candy. Life hard, like Russian turnip!
SeanWolf wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:I wanna give Marion a hug right now. :(
I think we all do.
*sniff* Why do computers screens have to come with a pane of glass blocking the way? Why?!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well, it can't get any worse, right?

. . . Right?

*eyes storm clouds*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Whose treehouse is this
I think I know.
His house is in the village, though.
He will not see me stopping here,
to brood upon where next to go...."

Happy (happier) Year 12. One hopes......
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Well, I really hope that this strip isn’t an indication of the tone of the comic in the future. After all, I signed up for a slice-of-life-slash-romantic-comedy about animals, not a drama/tragedy. I’m probably overthinking it... though, Rick has already put at least one of his characters through literal hell before (did not need to see ferret torture). Anyway, hopefully we’ll get some happier moments soon?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

So, its come to this. We all die alone and afraid...

Or, things will start to, if not improve, at least get different come morning. I would think by the next day, human Marion is reported missing and squirrel Marion is a per... mammal of interest. You'd think that would twig Ralph and Kevin that something is up. Unless they've both decided to take long vacations starting the next day.

But how much of that we see depends on what Rick has planned. I'm almost wondering if we might start with a Kitsune-inspired dream sequence to kick things off. When was the last time we had someone "Wake Up" around here?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
shadowlucario50

Kitsune, Help This Poor Squirrel

Post by shadowlucario50 »

Ninkurou wrote:This might end up being a wild territory story. Let me explain, normally in transformation stories, the character is separated from his old life. (The movie Bother Bear, Sheeps and Wolves, Princess and the Frog and King's storie are examples of that.) After being separated (Being in new form while far from home) they have to learn a lesson which will allow then to either turn back to their old forms or decide to stay in their new forms.
If Marion does find a way back and try to life his old life while in the new form, what come to mind is the novel "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka. In this novel a man is turned into a cockroach, and he find a way back to his family, however, due to his new form, day by day their love start to fade, their relationship get more and more sour. Until one point where his parents actually start wishing for him to die. (Yes, it's pretty ugly)
"Oh, King... Whoever said anything about changing you back?"

I feel Rick won't exactly follow the story of "The Metamorphosis" (though he did reference it in this strip), but definitely have certain influences from it. However, I feel like it definitely will have similarities to King's story in that he's not going to turn back into a human immediately.

"Unfortunately, you exist, and therefore, you're always playing by rules you didn't agree to. That's life; deal with it for once. If you just relax and try to keep up, you might find that you actually enjoy it. Like any good game, there's plenty of rewards after you earn them."

Even if he's not playing as part of some demigod's game, life still has its ups and downs. If he continues at it, there's a chance he'll find a way to transform back into human. Right now, Marion is (somewhat) relaxed and is trying to keep up, and he did find some enjoyment with his newfound abilities. In other words, he's following after Kitsune's words a lot better than King initially did before he met Bailey.

The rewards, though, are still far away, which brings me back to agree with your statement. He probably won't have to learn a lesson, but he may have to prove himself. He may learn some things along the way, and he has proved he's capable of adapting, but there's more that he needs to do. He has to earn his happy ending just like King did. Which, from what he's shown, he's definitely on the right track in doing so.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Douglas Collier wrote:Well, I really hope that this strip isn’t an indication of the tone of the comic in the future. After all, I signed up for a slice-of-life-slash-romantic-comedy about animals, not a drama/tragedy. I’m probably overthinking it... though, Rick has already put at least one of his characters through literal hell before (did not need to see ferret torture). Anyway, hopefully we’ll get some happier moments soon?
Watch Fruit Baskets some time.
Argent wrote:
The one in that strip has what looks like a corrugated metal saltbox roof. This one's an open gable and looks like it's unfinished or tarpaper.
Considering it was 11 years ago, Rick could have changed the design structure as well as its appearance knowing that A. His drawing style has greatly improved and B. Make it look nicer now that it has an important role in the story.
Or it might not be the same but for now it is easier to assume it is a throwback to such an early strip.
dr_eirik wrote:So, its come to this. We all die alone and afraid...
Exactly. ;)
dr_eirik wrote:Or, things will start to, if not improve, at least get different come morning. I would think by the next day, human Marion is reported missing and squirrel Marion is a per... mammal of interest. You'd think that would twig Ralph and Kevin that something is up. Unless they've both decided to take long vacations starting the next day.

But how much of that we see depends on what Rick has planned. I'm almost wondering if we might start with a Kitsune-inspired dream sequence to kick things off. When was the last time we had someone "Wake Up" around here?
Marion’s missing person will raise a new dynamic that is not usually seen. Will Julia or Lois realize that Marion was telling the truth or will the truth remain so unbelievable that it is easier to accept that a teen two week from graduation would run away without his wallet or phone? Will anyone beyond the usual suspects believe him when he tries to explain what happened to him? Ralph and Kevin feel like they’re no help. Again Marion never said that he was the one transformed even though one could say it was implied. But again Ralph and Kevin don’t have the supernatural experience to put two and two together.

A fun development could be introduce a character who has always been off panel but aware of the supernatural going ons. Have all these old scenes and the pan the camera slightly revealing that they had witnessed all of this. That would be fun.

Going off the last point, I would like to see less of a dream sequence and more of a flashback type dream especially if that is Marion’s treehouse. Something that further illustrates his relationship with Lois. Something from when he was young that develops his character some more and we can see who he is beyond just squirrel boy the former normal teen.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Marion's got to work for his happy ending just like King did, yes. But unlike King, Marion seemed to be a well-adjusted individual before he got transformed, and we have no idea what caused his transformation in the first place. If this is a case where he's a victim of somebody (Steward, the demon that Keene helped out of Hell, maybe even someone new) or some cosmic accident, if he manages to get a happy ending, it won't be that he earned one but rather he clawed his happy ending back after it was taken from him.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:TO BE CONTINUED means, most likely, that we will NOT see Marion again for a short while!
Looking back at prior End Of Year strips, there are sometimes guest comics afterward. We may get several of those, and then head right back to Marion, or an arc featuring someone completely different. My predictions still have Lois getting involved heavily with the story. Lois being a fully named character in the tags while Marion's Mom had her full name given but the tags just call her "Marion's Mom" definitely means something. Marion's "M & L" bracelet has been given significance to his character, too. Putting my money on us being introduced to a new animal, or even a new squirrel, wearing an "L & M" bracelet like a necklace sometime in the future. It could be the very next arc.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

[quote="Ash
Looking back at prior End Of Year strips, there are sometimes guest comics afterward. We may get several of those, and then head right back to Marion, or an arc featuring someone completely different. My predictions still have Lois getting involved heavily with the story. Lois being a fully named character in the tags while Marion's Mom had her full name given but the tags just call her "Marion's Mom" definitely means something. Marion's "M & L" bracelet has been given significance to his character, too. Putting my money on us being introduced to a new animal, or even a new squirrel, wearing an "L & M" bracelet like a necklace sometime in the future. It could be the very next arc.[/quote]

I wouldn't say its impossible, but it seems unlikely that she'll just show up as a squirrel unless this is a plot of some sort. I suppose I could envision a story that make her voluntarily transform, but that seems off, too. I guess we have to meet her first.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wow even though I know that it isn't the end, that "To be continued..." is still depressing. Like really depressing. Not crying depressing but it makes me feel bad. I need hugs.

Then again I have "Major Depressive Disorder" so I might be overreacting.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here’s something I learned today. It’s called Cayce. I enjoy applying school stuff to the comic. It keeps me sane.

C: Conflict (we have internal and environmental conflict as well as conflict between Marion and those he cares about)
A: Agency (He reacted dramatically yet rationally to his transformation)
Y: Yearning (desire to return to normal)
C: Clock (two weeks before graduation)
E: Ethical (nothing yet)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not sure if anything ethnical could be applied here. Maybe him deciding if he wants to stay like a squirrel (but with the correct gender) or turn back into a human, though I would figure he would want to turn back. It might have been ethnical with King though.

Also, isn't your OC supposed to be insane? XD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not sure if anything ethnical could be applied here. Maybe him deciding if he wants to stay like a squirrel (but with the correct gender) or turn back into a human, though I would figure he would want to turn back. It might have been ethnical with King though.

Also, isn't your OC supposed to be insane? XD
Ethical could come up later, either with who or what transformed Marion or a condition on returning to normal. "You can be human again, but Lois/mom/random stranger takes your place."

Clock is worse than two weeks, its finals week already. If he hasn't already missed some, that's going to be soon. A day or two at most.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, poor Marion, it must be so hard and frustrating to bear... :( It's good you found an house on a tree to spend the night, which is empty, for now. I really wish that's going to end well soon for him... :| What's now finished is the eleventh year of this comic, though, which is very impressive! :D
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Wow, this comic's been running for half as long as I've been alive. Congrats on another milestone, Rick. Can't wait to see what's next for Marion and the other characters.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

This strip appears to be a textbook example of Cerberus Syndrome. Remember the days when Grape and Peanut imaginated weather wizards and plague zombies without a care in the world, and their biggest concern was losing “the game”? I have doubts we’ll ever see that fun wholesome silliness equaled again (please make me wrong, Rick!).
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Douglas Collier wrote:This strip appears to be a textbook example of Cerberus Syndrome. Remember the days when Grape and Peanut imaginated weather wizards and plague zombies without a care in the world, and their biggest concern was losing “the game”? I have doubts we’ll ever see that fun wholesome silliness equaled again (please make me wrong, Rick!).
Yeah, I admit to getting a little sentimental, too, Doug - could go for an "Imaginate" next round. Wait until the "read tree version comes out in a couple years and end with THIS dark, mordant scene.

Oh well, rainy days and Mondays - by then, we'll know what happy ending Rick's delighted us with. ....and I'll be the only one on this forum who's seventy-six. ;)