2019/06/10 - Steakout

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/06/10 - Steakout

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/06/10 - Steakout]
Title Text:  we don't want a repeat of the Kale Crumble Disaster of '09

I see that they failed a spot check.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/06/10 - Steakout

Post by Saturn381 »

What exactly happened during the Kale Crumble Disaster of '09?

Also, been awhile since we've seen these two, hasn't it?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Yeah, I had a feeling if it was the ferals option it was going to be those two. Welp, we all know where this is going or at least have a pretty good guess. :?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I like how their "binoculars" are just two toilet paper cores taped together.
Saturn381 wrote:Also, been awhile since we've seen these two, hasn't it?
Not counting the one-off in between Temple Crashers 2 arcs, we haven't seen Falstaff since Flip That Den! (Truck was in Little Stinkers).
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Champion Wallace wrote:I like how their "binoculars" are just two toilet paper cores taped together.
Look, just imagine they work, ok?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

YAY! Our... heroes?

We’re back with our new nut
as he finds some new friends;
whether they’re ones to rely on
is the question that now depends.
What skills can he show them?
What help can he bring them?
Will they deny his praises here?
Will they both soon sing them?
We wanted him to find friends
but did we meant this pair?
These two, their link unknown,
hold his hope. Will they share?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Champion Wallace wrote:I like how their "binoculars" are just two toilet paper cores taped together.
They are VERY expensive ok? Also *Truck is the one with the 20/20 vision, so he must be the one who use them

*This fact may be 0% accurate
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

These were probably the last two characters I was expecting Marion to run into, but I honestly can't wait to see where this leads!
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It’s actually kinda funny how he keeps waking up to these terrible situations.

It appears that Steward is all but certain at this point. Deep down there was no other option especially after the K-9’s were a bust. Rick is going for the more serious darker plot this go round. Not surprising but it’s come to this. All we can do now is buckle up and hope it doesn’t end as badly as some of my theories.

At this point Marion is either going with them back to Jess’s either with an invitation or without one. I can’t imagine he’s going to pass up the opportunity to sleep in a “real house”.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

And we return to our regularly scheduled insanity. :lol: I guess this answers whether Marion will be going towards the pets or the ferals. Though I have a feeling that a night spent tagging along with Truck and Falstaff is not going to do Marion's poor overworked heart any favors.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Ash Greytree wrote:Still, teenage metabolism combined with squirrel metabolism means he's going to be starving in the morning. Hoping for some antics surrounding that in order to lighten the mood and lead him to interacting with more of the cast.
I'd predicted he'd get into some comedic food-related hijinks to serve as a breather from the downer ending of the last arc. Not exactly what I imagined, but if he gets roped into some night-time sneaking with Falstaff & Truck, that'd be cool too. And it can also serve as a way to lead Marion to the other ferals where he'd eventually meet with Jessica, Steward, Craig & Draig, and potentially Kitsune. Marion's luck seems like it could be turning around, albeit slowly.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

leinglo wrote:And we return to our regularly scheduled insanity. :lol: I guess this answers whether Marion will be going towards the pets or the ferals. Though I have a feeling that a night spent tagging along with Truck and Falstaff is not going to do Marion's poor overworked heart any favors.
He's going to have to 'help' them before they'll help him...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Frank

Post by Frank »

I have to wonder if Mcgillicuddy is her real name
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

And we're back! Poor Marion seems to have caught a break (literally), but now he's back at it again.

My current theory of where this storyline will go is that his family will file a missing persons report. That's were that picture Marion took comes into play.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Lockely wrote:These were probably the last two characters I was expecting Marion to run into, but I honestly can't wait to see where this leads!
Well, at least it will reveal why you don't want to step in spinach quiche, but more likely Marion is about to encounter exactly those critters most likely to help, harm, or harass him. We're getting somewhere now - sorta...

Nice to have the "Daring Duo" back, too.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

I suddenly love where this is going. ~<3

Did Truck get taller? He's pretty much the same height as Falstaff now...
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

I just realized! Those two might actually have known him as a human, and if his transformation kept his scent the same... They might identify him!
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

rourkie wrote:I suddenly love where this is going. ~<3

Nah. The second panel shows the difference. Third panel Truck's almost out of the window (see his knee's up?)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

Yes.

YES.

YESSS!!!!!

I have been so hoping for Truck & Falstaff.
Saturn381 wrote:What exactly happened during the Kale Crumble Disaster of '09?
They had me at kale. It's like eating sand.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Saturn381 wrote:What exactly happened during the Kale Crumble Disaster of '09?
There were probably noodles involved. It's a Noodle incident.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

It seems like Marion will be into some wacky food stealing hijinks with our two favorite racoons :mrgreen:
(That is if Fallstaff & Truck are your favorite racoons)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:It seems like Marion will be into some wacky food stealing hijinks with our two favorite racoons :mrgreen:
I can just imagine hearing the Mission:Impossible theme with them :lol:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

This is quickly turning into a Scene from 'Over the Hedge', heh.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Yeah, I had a feeling if it was the ferals option it was going to be those two. Welp, we all know where this is going or at least have a pretty good guess. :?
He might get lucky. There are two fox kits who’d probably take it a bit more seriously if he drops mention he was human again, and Craig might have some connection to King now due to Olive, and Zac also has some light connections to magic stuff, so while not much, he could help a little... but being honest the sadness likely will continue as Rick responds to “can you give Marion one nice thing?” With “send the squirrel of misfortune directly to Steward and opener of ways cult? Excellent idea”
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

rourkie wrote:I suddenly love where this is going. ~<3

Yeah, I noticed that, too - and doesn't seem quite as pudgy.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

actually, given marion's size relative to them it seems more like falstaff has gotten shorter... somehow...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
shadowlucario50

Marstuck

Post by shadowlucario50 »

Ah, Rick, you sure do know how to make a bait and switch. Marion probably needs to get some food since the last time he ate was breakfast (unless he ate some lunch), so he'll probably have to help Falstaff and Truck to help himself. Let's just hope that he doesn't help too well, or Falstaff and Truck will probably keep him along!
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Yeah, I had a feeling if it was the ferals option it was going to be those two. Welp, we all know where this is going or at least have a pretty good guess. :?
He might get lucky. There are two fox kits who’d probably take it a bit more seriously if he drops mention he was human again, and Craig might have some connection to King now due to Olive, and Zac also has some light connections to magic stuff, so while not much, he could help a little... but being honest the sadness likely will continue as Rick responds to “can you give Marion one nice thing?” With “send the squirrel of misfortune directly to Steward and opener of ways cult? Excellent idea”
Yeah, getting tangled with the ferals of Babylon Gardens can go about a million ways because they are all connected in some way to all of the Pets, too. He might get tangled up with Steward (who I still don't think is behind this) but via Truck and Falstaff he might link up with Zach who ties back to Max who knows all about the Game and all the players. Or simply to Kitsune via the fox cubs.

Or the ultimate wildcard: Karishad.

We still don't know how this will go. It's not impossible that this is the home of someone that Marion knows and the story ties back that way, though I somehow doubt that this is how this arc would start if that was the case.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:It seems like Marion will be into some wacky food stealing hijinks with our two favorite racoons :mrgreen:
Marion: I used to be human and need to change back.
Falstaff: Really, so how well do you know Mrs. McGillicuddy?
Marion: I know her sort of. She used to borrow sugar from us. But what does that have to do with me changing back to normal.
Falstaff: Well, we can help you change back but first you have to do something for us.
Marion: You want me to steal Mrs. McGillicuddy’s cake?
Falstaff: Whaaaaat?
Truck: Yeah, pretty much.
dr_eirik wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:
Yeah, getting tangled with the ferals of Babylon Gardens can go about a million ways because they are all connected in some way to all of the Pets, too. He might get tangled up with Steward (who I still don't think is behind this) but via Truck and Falstaff he might link up with Zach who ties back to Max who knows all about the Game and all the players. Or simply to Kitsune via the fox cubs.

Or the ultimate wildcard: Karishad.

We still don't know how this will go. It's not impossible that this is the home of someone that Marion knows and the story ties back that way, though I somehow doubt that this is how this arc would start if that was the case.
Unfortunately if it was going to connect directly to the pets then we wouldn’t be taking this tangent through the woods. The K9s would have handled it. Whether Steward is behind it is not nearly as important as the fact that he can use Marion for his plot (whatever it is). The Fox cubs won’t care so if Kitsune would become personally involved he would have to be there in person. If Pete and/or Dragon do care it probably won’t be to help him. Zach despite his connections (which are limited) won’t be too much help because like a King he’d rather avoid anything to do with magic or the cult. Plus there is still the possibility he’s back with Jerry, although we never got real confirmation.

Long term he’ll end up with the pets but for the time being we’re going directly to Steward to get his role established therefore establishing the main conflict of Marion’s story arc. How Marion escapes Steward and the feral cult is the question that has to play out.

For humor’s sake and to establish a bond between the three, we may see a mission impossible raid of Mrs. McGillicuddy’s kitchen but I don’t see that happening even if Falstaff and Truck bribe Marion with the prospect of a warm place to sleep that night.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Unfortunately if it was going to connect directly to the pets then we wouldn’t be taking this tangent through the woods. The K9s would have handled it. Whether Steward is behind it is not nearly as important as the fact that he can use Marion for his plot (whatever it is). The Fox cubs won’t care so if Kitsune would become personally involved he would have to be there in person. If Pete and/or Dragon do care it probably won’t be to help him. Zach despite his connections (which are limited) won’t be too much help because like a King he’d rather avoid anything to do with magic or the cult. Plus there is still the possibility he’s back with Jerry, although we never got real confirmation.

Long term he’ll end up with the pets but for the time being we’re going directly to Steward to get his role established therefore establishing the main conflict of Marion’s story arc. How Marion escapes Steward and the feral cult is the question that has to play out.

For humor’s sake and to establish a bond between the three, we may see a mission impossible raid of Mrs. McGillicuddy’s kitchen but I don’t see that happening even if Falstaff and Truck bribe Marion with the prospect of a warm place to sleep that night.
Thinking back, I'm not sure how much Zach wouldn't want to get involved and how much he wouldn't know to get involved. Despite being in close orbit with a number of individuals that know of the game (Steward, Karishad, Max, even Kitsune and the cubs) I don't think he knows anything about it himself. So even if Marion was able to convince him that his story is true, I guess I don't see how he would take it directly to someone.

It would be kinda funny if we learn that he actually knows one or both the raccoons from before somehow, however unlikely that is. A Mission: Impossible raid of a food source seems likely since I'm sure the squirrel is as hungry as the raccoons right now and Marion may know a better place to get some.

I do think it is inevitable that we see the K-9's again eventually, since the missing human is going to get them involved even if much of that transpires off screen for some time, but while we may not see it for months on our computers, it's got to be coming together in universe.

Last thought, what time is it now? Marion went to sleep at dusk-ish, an assuming it's late May to early June that puts it around 8pm-ish. It's fully dark now, but early enough for cooking. Did he only get a couple hours before the raccoons woke him?

EDIT: I'm not sure why I keep thinking that Max and Zach have a connection other than just knowing each other. I think I was thinking they lived together, but that's not right. Am I half remembering some connection, or just making it up in my head?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Here we go again with Marion. :) Ah, so you're in the raccoons' den... Nice to see again Falstaff and Truck, always looking for ways to steal (ahem, gain) food. :D Uhm, this lady has a rich pantry. ;) You need also sugar? Are you looking for the ingredients to make a cake? :D Ahah, use binoculars made of toilet paper tubes isn't any helpful. :lol: Just use your naked eyes, which look to be already good. :P Well, I hope the things will be good between them...
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

After all the stuff he endured in the last arc, I can't see Marion blurting out all willy-nilly that he used to be human. That's something that I think he's going to keep close to his chest for a while. It'll come up either when he finds someone he feels comfortable telling because he thinks that that character will believe him and can help him, or until a character notices something is off with Marion and broaches the issue. If he goes and stays with the ferals at Jessica's for a stretch of time, I can see someone like Steward, Craig, or Draig noticing particular human-like mannerisms of his as they become more acquainted and eventually confronting Marion over it.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just noticed now that the "binoculars" are actually used toilet paper rolls so I'm not sure how they could really see anything unless their eyes are THAT good and they don't know it or they are just playing around. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I just had an unsettling realization. Truck and Falstaff know who actually lives in that house and who Mrs. McGillicuddy is. It's not even "that lady." I even I don't know who my neighbors are. That means not only that they have done this before but have actively stalked this poor woman. This is creepy when you think about it. Imagine being watched by some weirdos while you bake.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:I just had an unsettling realization. Truck and Falstaff know who actually lives in that house and who Mrs. McGillicuddy is. It's not even "that lady." I even I don't know who my neighbors are. That means not only that they have done this before but have actively stalked this poor woman. This is creepy when you think about it. Imagine being watched by some weirdos while you bake.
There could be an innocent explanation, like McGillicuddy is a kindly older woman who has given the raccoons food before, so they know each other.

Though more likely is that they've stolen her trash and got it off her mail.
Frank

Post by Frank »

fenrirblack wrote:I just had an unsettling realization. Truck and Falstaff know who actually lives in that house and who Mrs. McGillicuddy is. It's not even "that lady." I even I don't know who my neighbors are. That means not only that they have done this before but have actively stalked this poor woman. This is creepy when you think about it. Imagine being watched by some weirdos while you bake.
I think it's a nickname. Rather than saying "the old lady with the hat", they've named her after the character from I Love Lucy
...no I don't think they've actually watched the show, they probably just saw someone else refer to another old lady with a hat as "a Mrs. Mcgillicuddy kind of woman"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Or they can read and it's on the house. Who knows?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it is on the house, the woman in question might not be her then and could be a roommate who is making something so it could be a case of mistaken identity. Maybe the unseen roommate if she has one is the owner of the house. Kind of like how Blanche Deveraux owned the house and became roommates with two other women after the death of her husband and had one of the women's mother become the chef. :mrgreen:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Falstaff and Truck can read to an extent. Not perfect, but it's there. The map Falstaff made when they initially tried to steal from Max's crawfish boil was legible, if riddled with misspellings due to being written phonetically.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Unfortunately if it was going to connect directly to the pets then we wouldn’t be taking this tangent through the woods. The K9s would have handled it. Whether Steward is behind it is not nearly as important as the fact that he can use Marion for his plot (whatever it is). The Fox cubs won’t care so if Kitsune would become personally involved he would have to be there in person. If Pete and/or Dragon do care it probably won’t be to help him. Zach despite his connections (which are limited) won’t be too much help because like a King he’d rather avoid anything to do with magic or the cult. Plus there is still the possibility he’s back with Jerry, although we never got real confirmation.

Thinking back, I'm not sure how much Zach wouldn't want to get involved and how much he wouldn't know to get involved. Despite being in close orbit with a number of individuals that know of the game (Steward, Karishad, Max, even Kitsune and the cubs) I don't think he knows anything about it himself. So even if Marion was able to convince him that his story is true, I guess I don't see how he would take it directly to someone....

EDIT: I'm not sure why I keep thinking that Max and Zach have a connection other than just knowing each other. I think I was thinking they lived together, but that's not right. Am I half remembering some connection, or just making it up in my head?
Zach was part of the first Temple Crashers crew. He might not explicitly know it's a game, but he does know there are magical goings on in Babylon Gardens. He even met Pete personally, that's got to count for something.

Zach may not have any familial connections to Max, but they were on opposing team in Scaredy Cats and were on the same side for The Great Water Balloon War.
Cesco wrote:Ahah, use binoculars made of toilet paper tubes isn't any helpful. :lol: Just use your naked eyes, which look to be already good. :P
They might be used to function like blinders on a horse, but that would be quite the stretch and shouldn't help in this case anyway. The raccoons are probably operating under cargo cult logic. They know binoculars help you see farther and are shaped like that, but they don't understand what actually makes them work enough to successfully replicate them.
dr_eirik wrote:
There could be an innocent explanation, like McGillicuddy is a kindly older woman who has given the raccoons food before, so they know each other.

Though more likely is that they've stolen her trash and got it off her mail.
Now I'm imagining an old lady trying to give Truck and Falstaff spinach and the raccoons are too polite to turn down free food despite being disgusted by it.
D-Rock wrote:Falstaff and Truck can read to an extent. Not perfect, but it's there. The map Falstaff made when they initially tried to steal from Max's crawfish boil was legible, if riddled with misspellings due to being written phonetically.
There's also the hitchhiking sign Falstaff made after being dropped off for relocation.
The cape comes with the promotion.