2019/06/12 - Treehouse Of Horror

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/06/12 - Treehouse Of Horror

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/06/12 - Treehouse Of Horror]
Title Text:  because if you are, then I fear you and will do anything you ask, don't eat me

Asking the real questions here.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/06/12 - Treehouse Of Horror

Post by fenrirblack »

Buckle up Marion, it's going to be a long night. :roll:

I love how Marion is so not impressed or even cares at this point. He's so fed up with everything. I feel like he should just bite Falstaff's face and put an end to this entire conversation.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

You gotta own the conversations, like Fals
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Marion stands her ground,
twenty feet in the air;
refusing to be pushed around
by this weird little pair.
Trucks being lovable
at these strange events.
Falstaff’s playing hardball;
his ego never relents.
He’s hard to argue with
as he never makes sense;
to a small teenager
he’s going to seem quite dense.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Those two are always a riot when they show up. :lol: This will definitely lead to him being taken to Zach at some point I'm sure.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

IceKitsune wrote:Those two are always a riot when they show up. :lol: This will definitely lead to him being taken to Zach at some point I'm sure.
If they don't get him arrested at Mrs McGillicuddy's place.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Technically, squirrels, like most rodents, are also omnivores. They can and will eat meat.

Though I wonder if Truck meant something else there in the second panel. What reason that Raccoons and Squirrels don't normally talk to each other is Marion supposed to know?
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

So, there's species discrimination among the forest animals. Not something I'd thought about before, but it's believable. Marion used the second person plural instead of a first person plural when he said "you forest animals" excluding himself from the category, though the raccoons didn't seem to pick up anything unusual about that. I should hope this is the first time Marion has said his line from the second panel. The third panel has the same joke as the alt text for And Knowing Is Half The Battle: "You weren't going to get away with it Mr. Owen "Clever" Lombard IF that is your real name". In my opinion, the weirdest part about this strip is there is a reasonable possibility that Marion could've tasted squirrel before without being a cannibal.
Edit: I mixed up first and third person.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I want Marion to snap at them so badly. I want him to let loose and say something like:
Marion: "If you don't get that finger out of my face I will shove it down your throat and see once and for all if raccoons really do eat anything."
He looks like he is not about to put up with Truck and Falstaff and their weirdness. At that point I wouldn't be surprised if he scared them off. I can imagine those two screaming into forest, shouting about a rabid squirrel in the treehouse.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Is there some kind of prejudice against squirrels I didn't know about before now?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Champion Wallace wrote:In my opinion, the weirdest part about this strip is there is a reasonable possibility that Marion could've tasted squirrel before without being a cannibal.
Literal interpretation of "you are what you eat."
Nobody wrote:Is there some kind of prejudice against squirrels I didn't know about before now?
Probably nothing more than the fact that they're really just barely above mice in the food chain.
Xane wrote:"You just need a little frosting and a cherry on top."
Don't give the raccoons ideas, now. Think we want to keep Marion alive for a bit.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I’m definitely curious about what Truck meant when he said “Just not usually with... you know...” Maybe there’s some unwritten social hierarchy in the forest where you don’t interact with certain animals. Squirrels could be considered off-limits for interaction either because larger carnivores and omnivores are taught to treat them as snacks. Or it could be that... this is sort of hard to explain, but you know how in a lot of fantasy novels and games there’s always that one group/nation/race that’s treated as the one that’s generally harmless and friendly, but kiiiinda crazy/eccentric so it’s best to steer clear of them? Maybe squirrels are like that in the Housepets! universe.

Anyways, it’s great to see the mood shift back toward comedy and Marion keeping a cool head at the same time. He’s quite good at playing the straight man; maybe Truck & Falstaff can become a comedy trio for a bit with Marion serving as their foil?
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's probably considered impolite to tell a prey species what they are to their face; a prey species. Frankly, Zach should consider himself lucky for that, at least.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote: Anyways, it’s great to see the mood shift back toward comedy and Marion keeping a cool head at the same time. He’s quite good at playing the straight man; maybe Truck & Falstaff can become a comedy trio for a bit with Marion serving as their foil?
That does add a interesting dynamic to the story. A lot how King resisted the usual shenanigans of the other pets and reacted differently when certain things happened. The Outsider looking in will be fun to see play out. Especially the "you forest animals" thing. Subtle but worth noting like Wallace said. King was the outsider with the pets and Marion is going to play that role but with the ferals. In a strange way, Thomas plays it with the Zoo animals but we don't see that.

I'm still going to stick with "It's like he can see into my very soul, and he's not impressed!"
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

Looks like Truck got all his weight back (yay!), but it looks like it was done by not letting Felstaff eat.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Falstaff: He's on to us! RUN!!!
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

D-Rock wrote:It's probably considered impolite to tell a prey species what they are to their face; a prey species. Frankly, Zach should consider himself lucky for that, at least.
Reading this made me go back and check, but they are openly called prey when Zach is being introduced to them.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:Marion used the second person plural instead of a third person plural when he said "you forest animals" excluding himself from the category, though the raccoons didn't seem to pick up anything unusual about that.
It's the coon comedy couple, they aren't the sharpest sticks in the forest.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"I'll say hello. Jest ain't usual fer the cook to be intterduced to the main ingredients." Sarcophagus MacArbe.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

You know, seeing the raccoons made me realize something- that one strip where Falstaff's calling them pro-con looters because it's their 'non-enclosure,' it's a joke: raccoons' nomenclature is proc(y)on lo(o)ter...

And then I had to smack my forehead for not figuring that out earlier.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Nobody wrote:Is there some kind of prejudice against squirrels I didn't know about before now?
That's what I'm wondering too.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I wonder if we are about to go in a different direction than we all thought. It feels like he's burning a bridge with the raccoons. If he gets chased out of the treehouse, where does he go? Is there a path none of us have predicted?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Find it intriguing that they don't talk to squirrels myself, but that was because I initially thought the comic's wild animals were going to be like that until the temple arc. Now it's revealed they are indeed not all buddy-buddy in the first place. Unless it was more recent and I will totally blame all the squirrel rumors/puns/nuts that go around all the time.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

As an aside, I love Falstaffs garbage-eating grin in the third panel. He really thinks that he's got the little squirrel over the rhetorical barrel there.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
shadowlucario50

King's Spirit Runs Through Marion's Veins

Post by shadowlucario50 »

fenrirblack wrote:I love how Marion is so not impressed or even cares at this point. He's so fed up with everything. I feel like he should just bite Falstaff's face and put an end to this entire conversation.
I wonder about that. He might just be grumpy because he was woken up in the middle of the night. He's been pretty optimistic throughout the morning and day despite his changes, and I feel he's not completely void of hope yet. I don't think he's at the stage of begrudgingly accepting his situation.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I like this sassy squirrel. :D What a weird dialogue, though... :P Yeah, Marion is talking to you two, he can't? :) Right, raccoons are omnivorous that can eat squirrels, but this won't be the time. ;) Also if a chubby Truck is always cute. :D Ah, so you were really looking for the ingredients to make a cake. ;) Falstaff, squirrels taste like other meat, in few words... How can you be that serious? :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bluster and boneheaded - nice to see Falstaff hasn't changed at'tall. ;)
Lockely

Post by Lockely »

I'll have more of this "done with everything here's my sass turned to 11" Marion.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I had forgotten how intellectually challenged that Falstaff and Truck are and was wondering why the two of them were trying to act like they had braincells to rub together when I realized they were ALWAYS this dumb. I guess I am glad that besides believing in the "Opener of Ways" stuff (and honestly if I was in her position I would have also believed it), Custom Ink seems to be maybe have a bit more smartness to her. Here is hoping that Tiny Tum also takes after his mother.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I had forgotten how intellectually challenged that Falstaff and Truck are and was wondering why the two of them were trying to act like they had braincells to rub together when I realized they were ALWAYS this dumb. I guess I am glad that besides believing in the "Opener of Ways" stuff (and honestly if I was in her position I would have also believed it), Custom Ink seems to be maybe have a bit more smartness to her. Here is hoping that Tiny Tum also takes after his mother.
These two are the living embodiment of the Dunning–Kruger effect, where people overestimate their intelligence and/or abilities precisely because they don't have the intelligence to recognize that they aren't as smart as they think they are. Falstaff in particular, I think.

I think to a small degree we see this in some of the ferals in the comic, at least when it comes to their interactions with human society. For some it's just inexperience, like the wolves, but these two it seems terminal.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I had forgotten how intellectually challenged that Falstaff and Truck are and was wondering why the two of them were trying to act like they had braincells to rub together when I realized they were ALWAYS this dumb. I guess I am glad that besides believing in the "Opener of Ways" stuff (and honestly if I was in her position I would have also believed it), Custom Ink seems to be maybe have a bit more smartness to her. Here is hoping that Tiny Tum also takes after his mother.
These two are the living embodiment of the Dunning–Kruger effect, where people overestimate their intelligence and/or abilities precisely because they don't have the intelligence to recognize that they aren't as smart as they think they are. Falstaff in particular, I think.

I think to a small degree we see this in some of the ferals in the comic, at least when it comes to their interactions with human society. For some it's just inexperience, like the wolves, but these two it seems terminal.
I wonder if the hierarchy that is hinted is based on your level of intelligence. Your size or position on the food chain determines intelligence which determines your social status in the wild or is at least a factor. When you think about it the smartest ferals are Miles (the wolves) and Gale (the cougars) and the farther you go down that list the dumber they seem. You have the raccoons like Truck and Falstaff and Custom Ink, who may seem smarter than those two but still is not too smart is she is such a devout believer in Opener nonsense. Not to mention Cory who is a train wreck. Then you have the squirrels at the bottom who from what we've seen only seem interested in collecting nuts. Sure they are smarter than real world squirrels but it seems that the difference overall is minimal. If Marion even shows a little more personally or intelligence than that of the average squirrel then that proves right there he is not a normal squirrel.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jessica and Zachery seem pretty sharp, although you could argue that Zach is a domestic bunny. I'm not sure how smart Custom Ink is but she's pretty good at social cues, very kind and solicitous, and does read and write.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:Jessica and Zachery seem pretty sharp, although you could argue that Zach is a domestic bunny. I'm not sure how smart Custom Ink is but she's pretty good at social cues, very kind and solicitous, and does read and write.
Yeah, Jessica in particular is a possible outlier, unless Falstaff and Truck are the outliers. We've also never interacted with a squirrel before in HP, they've only been mentioned once or twice and slammed into Peanuts window for no reason we ever knew. We've seen plenty of wild mice that seem to be on the ball so size is not a definitive factor. And the ferrets can't be that much bigger than Marion is now, and (for the most part) are pretty smart.

And I will learn how to spell squirrel without a spell-check before this arc is over!!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Jessica and Zachery seem pretty sharp, although you could argue that Zach is a domestic bunny. I'm not sure how smart Custom Ink is but she's pretty good at social cues, very kind and solicitous, and does read and write.
Yeah, Jessica in particular is a possible outlier, unless Falstaff and Truck are the outliers. We've also never interacted with a squirrel before in HP, they've only been mentioned once or twice and slammed into Peanuts window for no reason we ever knew. We've seen plenty of wild mice that seem to be on the ball so size is not a definitive factor. And the ferrets can't be that much bigger than Marion is now, and (for the most part) are pretty smart.

And I will learn how to spell squirrel without a spell-check before this arc is over!!
(Pointless sidebar: Oh, yeah, dr_eirik! I loathe the spell-check.)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:

Domesticated pets like the Miltons or Zach are in a different category due to the fact they have been exposed to society. Jess is an outlier because her problem is not an intelligence one but one of ignorance. She does seem smart but due to the fact that she lived in the wild limited her knowledge. I don’t remember any “wild” mice. The only mice we’ve seen are pretty much domestic like Spo or Squeak or even the army back at the beginning.

It does boil down to exposure which is why Miles and Gale seemed to be more intelligent. They had access to books and supplies because they were alpha predators and did not fear humans unlike the smaller animals who mainly consist of prey species.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How can we be sure that the mice army back at the beginning were not wild? Where else would they come from? It would make more sense if they were from the forest then they came in and began to get exposed to humans by infesting their houses.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The fact they they were exposed to humans and the fact they new enough about revolutionary armies demonstrates that they had to have been living within the confounds of the human dwellings for a long period of time. They are a weird case that exists in between wild and domestic.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Squirrels bite off one another's tails to assert dominance. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Dissension wrote:Squirrels bite off one another's tails to assert dominance. :3
is that where you got all of those?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dissension wrote:Squirrels bite off one another's tails to assert dominance. :3
The same behavior is also found among humans... ;)