Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by CyberDragon »

I should probably mention that False-Flag operations with Champion gear are pretty much impossible. Kind of like how Kobor noted that Predator has more safety systems and fail safes than personality, Official champion gear works the same way. It's designed specifically to prevent misuse. Some examples: Champion guns will automatically refuse to fire if pointed at a marked civilian. Champion shield systems and heavy armor has a lock system that, should Hivemind deem the wearer has gone rogue, he can activate and immobilize the user. This includes the stasis triggers, which he can remotely activate if he needs to.

You don't build an army of unstoppable people and give them unstoppable equipment without having a way to stop them if you have to.

As for character deaths, the only one who'd consider death to be a happy ending is Legionnaire, though I actually do have a few "death" scenes planned out for some of the characters. Can't say who or how though, because that would be spoilers.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:I should probably mention that False-Flag operations with Champion gear are pretty much impossible. Kind of like how Kobor noted that Predator has more safety systems and fail safes than personality, Official champion gear works the same way. It's designed specifically to prevent misuse. Some examples: Champion guns will automatically refuse to fire if pointed at a marked civilian. Champion shield systems and heavy armor has a lock system that, should Hivemind deem the wearer has gone rogue, he can activate and immobilize the user. This includes the stasis triggers, which he can remotely activate if he needs to.
considering the hypotheticals would be replicas, not originals, one could simply omit those components during construction. a Five Seven with it's safety removed still looks like a normal Five Seven from the outside, and its nearly impossible to obfuscate the purpose of a part that actively interferes with a firing mechanism, or triggers a hard shutdown, without compromising it's ability to do it's job.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind is a hyper-intelligent superhuman. He'd build the safeguards into things in such a way that the weapon or armor would be non-functional without those safeties. There would be redundancies on top of redundancies on top of redundancies. Nearly every piece would have some sort of safety on it.

All of this is assuming she was even able to take the weapons and armor off of the ship unauthorized without Hivemind knowing and instantly frying the equipment beyond any ability to reverse engineer. That alone is a heavy stretch.

Keep in mind, Hivemind may not talk smart or act like a super intelligent being in conversation, but he does have billions of super computer brains thinking about things like this. If there was any way to foil the safeguards or recreate the tech without them, he would have found that way first and would have taken it into account.
-Champion Motto

furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Honestly Lego, ALL OF THEM.
Nat would try to go faster and end up straining himself and causing him to die, or a flying accident
Ken and Brad go to their home planet but get separated and they both get extremely sick, (you know the weakness) the link breaks because Ken dies. Brad find Ken, gets mad, and gets really big, in fact, he gets so big he is considered a threat, and gets obliterated with a SUV blaster. (Super UltraViolet, not the vehicle.)
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Legotron123 wrote: Also, on an unrelated note, I wish there was art of Jenny so I could commission someone to draw her and Kolt being lovebirds together.
Buster, my friend, Do you still have that picture you did?

Corp'd go down fighting, of course. Death doesn't hold much fear for him. He's already had the worst case scenario death play out (left wounded to die in a trap for days) so that's done. He doesn't dream on a 'heroic' death turning back hundreds of opponents, though. For him the noblest way is to save ONE person.

Kilo in RA just plans to die of Old age.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Legotron123 wrote: Also, on an unrelated note, I wish there was art of Jenny so I could commission someone to draw her and Kolt being lovebirds together.
Buster, my friend, Do you still have that picture you did?
you mean this?
Attachments
welshhalfwitscrew.png
welshhalfwitscrew.png (95.58 KiB) Viewed 12605 times
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

That's the one, mate.

That help you out, Lego? (She's the one on the right.) ;)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

For some reason I pictured her as being grey. Anyways, that should definitely help. I already have an artist in mind for the picture, though I’m waiting on a response from them to see if they’re up for it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's my Birthday!

Off topic, but still.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Many happy Earth Rotations.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hawk, you do realize that A. Lycan has never eaten everyone, and B. His species hasn’t eaten since medieval times? I’m not sure how your character’s uncle could’ve been eaten by him or anyone that looks like him.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Blaidd is Welsh for Wolf. Saffy actually using it as Celican for Coyote because the Welsh for Coyote is Coyote and I suddenly thought I'd like a change from having an Alien species name curiously close to the English...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:Hawk, you do realize that A. Lycan has never eaten everyone, and B. His species hasn’t eaten since medieval times? I’m not sure how your character’s uncle could’ve been eaten by him or anyone that looks like him.
actually it sounds more like he's trying to set up a Startrek style mirorverse where everyone's allegiances and alignments are 180* from the norm... and falling flat on his face because he immediately tossed out a bit of exposition that undermines the whole setup.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:Hawk, you do realize that A. Lycan has never eaten everyone, and B. His species hasn’t eaten since medieval times? I’m not sure how your character’s uncle could’ve been eaten by him or anyone that looks like him.
actually it sounds more like he's trying to set up a Startrek style mirorverse where everyone's allegiances and alignments are 180* from the norm... and falling flat on his face because he immediately tossed out a bit of exposition that undermines the whole setup.
Now, now. Just because our Lycans haven't done it, doesn't mean some other Wolf-like species didn't pop down for a takeaway at some point.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:
That sounds like the sorta thing that should be discussed with the DM instead of just randomly plopping it into a post.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yeah, Hawk, could you please explain what you're going for in that last post? I have no intention of doing anything with evil alternative universe stuff in this game.
-Champion Motto

furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

His uncle was eaten by an alien that looks like the Lycan.
Finally, he overheard a wolf once speaking about supposedly bridging the gap between universes.
The thing about the alien that ate his uncle being stopped was a dream he still thinks was actually his mind replaying that 'memory.'
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You know, you could always rewrite your post. No one has responded to it yet, so it shouldn’t be too much work to change it to something that makes more sense.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No need. I understand it well enough, and it's directed at me. I already have a response planned for it, I'm just waiting for more posts and stable internet.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait a minute, i thought ulrich was the only character that'd been idle a long time...
who else is there?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I haven’t posted yet, though I’m working on it right now. It should be up relatively soon.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I know Rook hasn't posted yet, nor has Hlaoroo. I'm not specifically waiting on Hlaoroo, since I'm not interacting with him yet in-game, but I do need Rook to post.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The gap between when Recon vanished and when she cleaned the room was her going to the library to read up on replicator repairs, and then getting supplies from the store. It was based on when the Flash saved everyone from a burning building, went to the library to study construction, then rebuilt the building himself in less than a second. Obviously Recon isn't as fast as the Flash, but she's still a high power speedster.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I added to my last post. I figured it might be better for her to discover it NOW rather than when Jenny was around. (Cyber knows why...) Saffy is just a one off though.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You know, it’s a shame Kobor and Talya are gonna get their brains sorta reset soon, because I was hoping they could have a conversation with Liz and Lewis about how much they both hate this stupid nonsensical dimension.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it's less a matter of hate and more somewhere between, 'don't think about it, you don't want a headache' and 'if it wasn't impossible for me to be drunk i would swear i am, every time the boss tries to explain something.'
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Anyone up for answering another question about their characters? Cause I’ve got another one; what’s the one thing that makes them super mad? What’s the one thing that instantly makes them absolutely furious whenever it happens?
For Kolt, it’s people treating being a superhero like it’s one big game, or accusing him of doing the same.
For Lewis, it’s people insulting his mom.
For Liz, it’s being deliberately kept out of the loop, especially when it involves her and her crew.
Quint doesn’t really get all that mad, because as I’ve stated before, he doesn’t experience a lot of emotions the same way we do. He’ll get annoyed or frustrated, but he’s never gotten absolutely furious yet.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny - Mad scientists. She shares something of a backstory with Cherry Seena in that scientists were responsible for her coming into being (Why Seena is pet sized despite being a Rodent - among other things) but, whereas the experimenting on Seena's people was dozens of generations ago, Jenny experienced some of the procedures and experimentation's herself.

Corp - Officers who waste their mens lives.

Keeva - Being a prisoner again.

Jaken... Just let someone harm Rika or, to a lesser extent, June.

Sana - People doubting her skill simply because she's a little eccentric.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana hates backstabbers, traitors and betrayers. Those who present themselves as one hundred percent behind something or someone only to sabotage or interfere by using others trust to their advantage would probably make her see red. That's also partly why she was so upset when Diligitis first possessed her shell back before the Warlord fight, but wasn't super angered because of how anomalous it was.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I am not entirely sure how Diligitis possessing her shell to bring it to her or to talk to her counts as backstabbing or betrayal. Can you elaborate?
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

It was before that, when she didn't know Diligitis was the one who brought it, so she assumed somebody messed with it under Hive's watch, if she knew it was Diligitis from the start she'd have been annoyed at worst but would have shrugged it off like, "Eh, this guy healed me up before, so I guess I can cut him some slack." I really only used it as the example cause it's the only real one I have, hah.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

That question is a hard one, since both my current main characters at least are not prone to anger easily..

For Rika, it's if someone stops her from treating a serious injury that she has full confidence she can fix. That and if any serious harm came upon her parents.

As for Traci, I think she'd break under severe pressure. It would have to be a life or death situation where the BBEG has an ally in their grasp and she's the only one able to save them kind of thing.

For Dan, he's the easiest, he'd snap if he lost Keeva.

..and if someone were to damage or purposely misplace a single part of a certain someone's book collection, they would be in for a serious scolding!
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Lycan cannot stand villains who consider themselves above the law, nor does he have tolerance for dirty police.

Eira hates bullies beyond all else. People who beat or mock or torment others for being strange, or different, or weak. Eira also doesn't like people asking what happened to her arm, though she doesn't mind people admiring her ice arm.

No one can say Hivemind is unfairly lenient with his Champions. He has absolutely no tolerance for any Champion that deliberately breaks or ignores his two main rules. Any Champion who commits a war crime or tries to commit vigilante murder, or tries to take revenge on an enemy could find themselves locked in their armor and shipped off to the vault before they can say "Holy carp, that's a lot of angry droids..."

Gear, due to his phobia, hates sentient predators. He's just really good at controlling his emotions in situations like Varanian attacks.

Morgan would lay her life down for Randy or Eira, and would go into a disastrous berserker rage if someone seriously hurt them.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

-a Champion motto
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think it’s kinda funny that Gadgeteer thinks he’s too heavy for Kolt to carry, considering Kolt has been throwing Varanians bigger than him around like rag dolls all day, and he was there for at least a few of them.
Also, Hive didn’t answer Liz’ question about Nocturl.
EDIT: Just realized, this day has officially lasted a year now.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:Also, Hive didn’t answer Liz’ question about Nocturl.
Fixed.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

jenny made a slight error. Kol already convinced Gadgeteer to close the faceplate on his helmet. no one should be able to see his expression right now regardless of what it is.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Buster wrote:jenny made a slight error. Kol already convinced Gadgeteer to close the faceplate on his helmet. no one should be able to see his expression right now regardless of what it is.
Probably an error, yup. But I have the feeling Gadgeteer has a glower that can penetrate any faceplate(!)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

He has been described as the grouchiest of Team Angel. Varanians aren't known for their jolly attitudes and sense of humor, after all.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:I think it’s kinda funny that Gadgeteer thinks he’s too heavy for Kolt to carry, considering Kolt has been throwing Varanians bigger than him around like rag dolls all day, and he was there for at least a few of them.
Which I'm only now realizing should have caused more strain considered Varanians can weigh nearly a ton. Gadgeteer is lighter because he's a runt, but that's like him throwing small cars around all day.
-Champion Motto