2019/06/17 - Pie In The Sky

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/06/17 - Pie In The Sky

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that it was Gale that swiped it. Of course, her comment to Miles could mean it was either of them.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

They say that when you encounter wildlife often they're more scared of you than you are of them. That would be an understatement here. On this house robot meter does not see you.
dr_eirik wrote:Of course, there is always the soap opera direction where Marion fall put of that window, gets knocked cold, is carried to the woods by a couple of concerned raccoons and wakes up with no memory under the care of an opossum and a rabbit. Then Maripn could be in the very odd position of her friends and family trying to convince him that hes really human...
I don't think that will happen even if he bonks his head. Amnesia only works like that in books and movies.
fenrirblack wrote:I know Mrs. McGillicuddy isn't going to be some magical hero and save Marion from his fated meeting with Steward but I wonder how worldly she is.
It's not set in stone that Marion is going to meet Steward.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I know Mrs. McGillicuddy isn't going to be some magical hero and save Marion from his fated meeting with Steward but I wonder how worldly she is.
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not next week. Maybe not in this arc. But one day, it will happen.

I have honestly given up on any possibility that he will not meet Steward before this arc is over. Rick has essentially eliminated every other option.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not next week. Maybe not in this arc. But one day, it will happen.

I have honestly given up on any possibility that he will not meet Steward before this arc is over. Rick has essentially eliminated every other option.
It will happen?

To my knowledge, Steward has never met King on panel. Peanut's never 'hung out' with Daisy. Sabrina hasn't encountered Truck.

The cast is vast. They don't all meet up.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
tych

Post by tych »

I feel missus McGillyCuddy's response was staged
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

tych wrote:I feel missus McGillyCuddy's response was staged
She could probably hear their entire conversation. They weren't being quiet.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh wrote: It will happen?

To my knowledge, Steward has never met King on panel. Peanut's never 'hung out' with Daisy. Sabrina hasn't encountered Truck.

While that's true, I get what hes saying. No matter what we see in this arc, even if Marion finds a path to humanity, it feels that his transformation is going to pique the interest of several characters. Some who may seek him out (like Kitsune, who may already be aware of what's happening ) and others with a reason to learn what happened (Steward certainly and Thomas depending on where he is, Craig and Graig because the use of magic might point to a way back) or those who might at least befriend him if just to commiserate (King, obviously)

It seems likely that Marion will meet these characters eventually, whether he becomes human again, becomes some kind of were-squirrel, or is stuck like this forever and either lives with his mother, his girlfriend, the woods or one of the pets houses. It may not be in this arc at all.

Now I've got an image of Marion sitting on Kings shoulder for a family trip to the zoo and having a many layered conversation with Thomas, who they dont know was once human...
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: It will happen?

The fact that those characters haven’t met up haven’t met up is because there has been no reason for them to (the SPHERES).The fact that of all the people Marion has met so far, Truck and Falstaff are the only ones who hung around is a clear indication that they are significant to the plot and will most likely invite Marion back to Jess’s house. Unless something truly significant happens like Marion somehow falls into Mrs McGillicuddy’s house instead of out then there is only one logical path this story can take at the moment. If something was to interrupt the chain of events that is currently unfolding then it would be super random like if Sabrina popped out of the bushes and carried Marion away telling him that she had premonition about him. There are a thousand ways for the chain of events could be broken but none of them would make sense.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:

The fact that they haven’t met up is because there has been no reason for them to. The fact that of all the people Marion has met so far, Truck and Falstaff are the only ones who hung around is a clear indication that they are significant to the plot and will most likely invite Marion back to Jess’s house. Unless something truly significant happens like Marion somehow falls into Mrs McGillicuddy’s house instead of out then there is only one logical path this story can take at the moment.

There is something going on with McGillucuddy. Marion even notes that the pie appeared very fast and the placement in the window is odd. I think she's going to figure into things at least for the next couple pages. It just depends on what she knows and what Marion tells her.

I think it might be as little as playing along with the raccoons to give them food and an ego boost, and Marion is just now wrapped up in it. I suppose it's possible that she heard about the odd circumstances of Marions disappearance and someone decided that he really was a squirrel now and tried to attract him to her window to help him. Or at least tried to attract the grey squirrel with the oddly colored foot to get some answers.

Frankly, between all the people on this board, I think we've guessed just about every logical and illogical direction this could take now and we'll be back at this tonight when the new comic posts and Rick manages to eliminate everything we guessed and sends us flailing into a new direction. :D
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Frank

Post by Frank »

ok so Mrs. McGillicuddy must be her real name if Marion calls her that
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

The fact that they haven’t met up is because there has been no reason for them to. The fact that of all the people Marion has met so far, Truck and Falstaff are the only ones who hung around is a clear indication that they are significant to the plot and will most likely invite Marion back to Jess’s house. Unless something truly significant happens like Marion somehow falls into Mrs McGillicuddy’s house instead of out then there is only one logical path this story can take at the moment.

There is something going on with McGillucuddy. Marion even notes that the pie appeared very fast and the placement in the window is odd. I think she's going to figure into things at least for the next couple pages. It just depends on what she knows and what Marion tells her.

I think it might be as little as playing along with the raccoons to give them food and an ego boost, and Marion is just now wrapped up in it. I suppose it's possible that she heard about the odd circumstances of Marions disappearance and someone decided that he really was a squirrel now and tried to attract him to her window to help him. Or at least tried to attract the grey squirrel with the oddly colored foot to get some answers.

Frankly, between all the people on this board, I think we've guessed just about every logical and illogical direction this could take now and we'll be back at this tonight when the new comic posts and Rick manages to eliminate everything we guessed and sends us flailing into a new direction. :D
Maybe Mrs. McGillicuddy is a remarkably inept baker... (yuk!).
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote: Maybe Mrs. McGillicuddy is a remarkably inept baker... (yuk!).
Reminds me of a story my mother told me. Her mother was a phenomenal cook, I had a chance to confirm that before she passed away. Apparently she was a horrid baker. My mother said as a child, she could never figure out why Santas cookies were just as bad as her mothers.

From what I understand, no one in the family ever told her. As her kids grew (there were 8) they took over all baking for family gatherings.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So your grandmother was the great baker and your mother wasn't, or your great-grandmother was the great baker and your grandmother wasn't? :?:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He's not very good at the whole stealth thing. You don't internal monologue out loud!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So your grandmother was the great baker and your mother wasn't, or your great-grandmother was the great baker and your grandmother wasn't? :?:
My grandmother was a horrid baker but great cook. Others in the family took over the baking as they came of age. My mother never baked much. Good cook, though.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote: Maybe Mrs. McGillicuddy is a remarkably inept baker... (yuk!).
Reminds me of a story my mother told me. Her mother was a phenomenal cook, I had a chance to confirm that before she passed away. Apparently she was a horrid baker. My mother said as a child, she could never figure out why Santas cookies were just as bad as her mothers.

From what I understand, no one in the family ever told her. As her kids grew (there were 8) they took over all baking for family gatherings.
THAT is absolutely hilarious ... and charming. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Great cooks don't necessarily make great bakers, and vice versa.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

According to Gordon Ramsay, to truly be great you need to be good at both. But then he holds EVERYBODY to a higher stand so I will ignore what he says.
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:

The fact that those characters haven’t met up haven’t met up is because there has been no reason for them to (the SPHERES).The fact that of all the people Marion has met so far, Truck and Falstaff are the only ones who hung around is a clear indication that they are significant to the plot and will most likely invite Marion back to Jess’s house. Unless something truly significant happens like Marion somehow falls into Mrs McGillicuddy’s house instead of out then there is only one logical path this story can take at the moment. If something was to interrupt the chain of events that is currently unfolding then it would be super random like if Sabrina popped out of the bushes and carried Marion away telling him that she had premonition about him. There are a thousand ways for the chain of events could be broken but none of them would make sense.
I disagree. Yes, Steward would be more receptive to meeting a human turned squirrel, but it's the getting them together that's the problem. Unless Steward is the mastermind behind the transformation, he wouldn't know to seek a female squirrel out. You gave an example of Sabrina looking for Marion because of psychic powers, but is that really more unreasonable than Falstaff and Truck inviting Marion back to what may or may not still be their house after they bluffed they were going to eat him and he (presumably is about to) fail at fulfilling his one job of steeling the pie?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

I disagree. Yes, Steward would be more receptive to meeting a human turned squirrel, but it's the getting them together that's the problem. Unless Steward is the mastermind behind the transformation, he wouldn't know to seek a female squirrel out. You gave an example of Sabrina looking for Marion because of psychic powers, but is that really more unreasonable than Falstaff and Truck inviting Marion back to what may or may not still be their house after they bluffed they were going to eat him and he (presumably is about to) fail at fulfilling his one job of steeling the pie?
Steward doesn't have to be responsible for the transformation. He just needs to be able to utilize Marion once he finds out who and what Marion is for his own purposes (whatever they may be). I don't see why Truck and Falstaff wouldn't want to take him back because again, if they weren't going to be involved in Marion's story then why would they be hanging around this long. No one else lasted this long so that tells you that they are more significant than just letting Marion tag along on a dessert heist. What would be gained if they just dumped him after the heist. He would be back where he started.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Unless he was dumped because another character was gonna be introduced and THEY would be the ones that helped Marion instead of the two dumb raccoons.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Unless he was dumped because another character was gonna be introduced and THEY would be the ones that helped Marion instead of the two dumb raccoons.
Falstaff and Truck wouldn't have been needed in the first place. Marion could have seen or smell the pie and decided to rob it himself only to be introduced too said character. Or that character could have found him in the treehouse. If they dumped him then it would have been a weird tangent that really would have only established that he can't even trust the ferals but we already kinda got that when the other squirrel threw a acorn at him. Then Marion would have been sad and alone again and we've already done that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

OK fine that is true so a big no to that. I'm thinking that squirrel in the tree though only freaked out because he was doing something illegal and was afraid the K-9s would apprehend him and not that he was untrustworthy. You can do illegal stuff to other people and be trustworthy to a select few if that makes sense.
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:Steward doesn't have to be responsible for the transformation. He just needs to be able to utilize Marion once he finds out who and what Marion is for his own purposes (whatever they may be). I don't see why Truck and Falstaff wouldn't want to take him back because again, if they weren't going to be involved in Marion's story then why would they be hanging around this long. No one else lasted this long so that tells you that they are more significant than just letting Marion tag along on a dessert heist. What would be gained if they just dumped him after the heist. He would be back where he started.
Your Steward theory still hinges on Steward recognizing Marion as a former human as well as Steward meeting Marion in the first place. You keep saying that Falstaff and Truck are going to being Marion back to Jess's house, but if anything wouldn't it make more sense for them to take him to their house? I don't believe Falstaff and Truck are living in the Flip That Den den. Falstaff was booted almost immediately because of his jar of termites. I don't think Truck would continue to live somewhere without Falstaff. Even if that was just a disciplinary action and not eviction, Jessica isn't adverse to literally throwing out someone who gets on her nerves. So far this was speculation as why the duo would't live there, but there is also the evidence of there is never any mention after Flip That Den! of them living there, despite getting a glimpse of its residency on two seperate occasions.
fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Unless he was dumped because another character was gonna be introduced and THEY would be the ones that helped Marion instead of the two dumb raccoons.
Falstaff and Truck wouldn't have been needed in the first place. Marion could have seen or smell the pie and decided to rob it himself only to be introduced too said character. Or that character could have found him in the treehouse. If they dumped him then it would have been a weird tangent that really would have only established that he can't even trust the ferals but we already kinda got that when the other squirrel threw a acorn at him. Then Marion would have been sad and alone again and we've already done that.
The short answer is Falstaff and Truck would have been needed so there are more actors on stage. One of the common sentiments is people saying "I want to see X character more". You say that the story could've progressed the same without the raccoons if Marion chose to steel the pie himself, but isn't that the point? If Rick Griffin planned out the arc to both have this pie scene and not have the raccoons at the end, both variants would work, but this way we seem more of their antics as well as how Marion responds to them. We won't know for sure until this arc is over (or maybe later), but it's possible this scene could've worked with Marion by himself, however do you really want more of Marion acting by himself after the first part of My Life As A Teenage Squirrel?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Steward doesn't have to be responsible for the transformation. He just needs to be able to utilize Marion once he finds out who and what Marion is for his own purposes (whatever they may be). I don't see why Truck and Falstaff wouldn't want to take him back because again, if they weren't going to be involved in Marion's story then why would they be hanging around this long. No one else lasted this long so that tells you that they are more significant than just letting Marion tag along on a dessert heist. What would be gained if they just dumped him after the heist. He would be back where he started.
Your Steward theory still hinges on Steward recognizing Marion as a former human as well as Steward meeting Marion in the first place. You keep saying that Falstaff and Truck are going to being Marion back to Jess's house, but if anything wouldn't it make more sense for them to take him to their house? I don't believe Falstaff and Truck are living in the Flip That Den den. Falstaff was booted almost immediately because of his jar of termites. I don't think Truck would continue to live somewhere without Falstaff. Even if that was just a disciplinary action and not eviction, Jessica isn't adverse to literally throwing out someone who gets on her nerves. So far this was speculation as why the duo would't live there, but there is also the evidence of there is never any mention after Flip That Den! of them living there, despite getting a glimpse of its residency on two seperate occasions.
All Marion has to do is tell them. Actually complete a sentence for once then Steward can swoop in and coerce Marion to his side. Or even notice that the bracelet around his neck is odd and ask about it and Marion could tell him about it.
Considering he said "we have returned with food" I would take that as a guess that they still do live there despite the rough start. Jess can be a softy when she wants to be.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
The short answer is Falstaff and Truck would have been needed so there are more actors on stage. One of the common sentiments is people saying "I want to see X character more". You say that the story could've progressed the same without the raccoons if Marion chose to steel the pie himself, but isn't that the point? If Rick Griffin planned out the arc to both have this pie scene and not have the raccoons at the end, both variants would work, but this way we seem more of their antics as well as how Marion responds to them. We won't know for sure until this arc is over (or maybe later), but it's possible this scene could've worked with Marion by himself, however do you really want more of Marion acting by himself after the first part of My Life As A Teenage Squirrel?
Your right that it is important that they should be there not just to move the plot but to also develop Marion's character by having him interact with the other characters and animals in general especially if he will be spending a lot of time with them in the near future.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If he does spend some more time with them, I'm hoping that their stupidity doesn't start rubbing off on him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Doesn't seem to be contagious - at least for Jess, Zach, Kari, and Cory.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah but the stress of being unable to tell and convince people of his situation might make Marion more susceptible.