Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Legotron123

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:i was kinda hoping someone would so i could have Kol blurt out that he's another teamate that "mind controls colt sometimes, apparently"
Well now I want that too, so I can have Kolt try to clarify that it’s actually body control, only to realize that’s not much better.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

kol doesn't entirely get what quint is, partly due to missing certain scenes, so she just goes by the visible shift in behavior.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Saffy just thinks he was shutting himself up. It's partly why she said that, to let him know she didn't mind much. Still a bit unsure though.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well if they weren’t suspicious before, seeing him have to glare at his hand for half a minute before it let’s go should do it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:Que a multi handed facepalm. Kol may be having a hard time following the conversation but Kolt clearly hasn't caught any of the 'don't want to be a fighter' sentiment being passed around.
The line about helping her “be exceptional” was actually a reference to this bit right here.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Oh," Saffy said, still craning to look the Varanian in the eye, "that, um, sounds good?" She stepped back, lowered her gaze and rubbed the back of her neck before looking to Kolt. "I might not mind being exceptional," she said, "but in a few years?"
She’s open to being a hero, just not right now.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

perhaps you interpreted it that way, but it came off more as a deflection attempt by someone too timid to say no...

she doesn't want to upset what are technically paying customers, so she acquiesces, but only in a way that they cant follow through on as they'll be long outside the system by then.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, Welsh could always tell us which is the case.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It's something of both. Right now, she's quite scared although she's doing her best 'Customer Service Wolf' (Apex Retail Predator) and trying not to let it show through.

And she's probably not interested in heroing but she's a teenager from a hunting race.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I have another question about your characters. Not because I’m waiting for anyone to post, I just thought it’d be fun to ask. If your character had to sing karaoke, what song would they sing?
Kolt would sing I’m Still Standing, as he’d like the theme of moving on in spite of (or perhaps to spite) those who’ve tried to hurt you. He’s also probably the only one who’d be 100% into it, not finding it at all cheesy or humiliating.
Lewis would probably sing Best of the Best of the Best, because if he has to do this, he’s going to have fun.
Liz would chose Dare for reasons similar to her son, and because she really likes the song.
Quint, once you convinced him it wasn’t a exercise in humiliation, would probably get rather into singing How Far We’ve Come, as he’d find it somewhat reflective of how he views the way his life has gone since joining up with Kolt; things could be better, and he’s not exactly a fan of much stuff seems to be falling apart, but he’s come really far, and he’s sure he’s going to go even farther.

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Hawk would probably sing either Powerwolf's 'Army Of The Night' or The Beatles 'Paperback Writer'.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"This was a triumph
I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction"

"I'm pretty sure picking that song when your voice is a GLaDOS soundpack is cheating."
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Would they even actually sing that, or would they just play a recording of the song and (justifiably) expect no one to notice the difference?

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana would probably sing "I'm Still Here" from Treasure Planet, as it embodies some of her hopes and fears with leaving the Rim to seek a better life while facing the obstacles that the changes in environment and herself that may bring.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

likely the later, lego. just to annoy Kobor who know better.

*Grabs mic from talya*
"Gimmie that thing... where is it... ah."
*picks out a song*
*ahem*
"It's not like I'm walking alone into the valley of the shadow of death
Stand beside one another, 'cause it ain't over yet
I'd be willing to bet that if we don't back down
You and I will be the ones that are holding the Crown in the end
When it's over, we can say, "Well done"
But not yet, 'cause it's only begun
So, pick up, and follow me, we're the only ones
To fight this thing, until we've won
We drive on and don't look back
It doesn't mean we can't learn from our past
All the things that we mighta done wrong
We could've been doing this all along...
"

Kol i would probably give something with two different overlapping vocal tracks, just so she can show off the advantages of having a polyphonic vocal structure.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Now this question is good, Lego!

Hmm, For Rika it'd have to be "The Blood that Moves the Body" by 'A-ha' - For two reasons. One; my mum was a HUGE fan of a-ha, and a bit of Rika's personality stems from her. Two; the title is also a link to her medical profession, in a way!

As for Traci, hands down has to be "Don't Stop me Now" by 'Queen'. She'd go all out on it, dancing along and having a whale of a time!

For Dan, he has two picks: "More than Words" By 'Extreme' Or "Your Guardian Angel" By 'Red Jumpsuit Apparatus'. Both of them would be sung to Keeva. He's a sappy sort. Like me.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Eira would probably sing Legendary by Skillet. She's ambitious, and never lets anyone keep her held down. No matter what they do to her. She's also trying to actually become legendary, as she feels the need to live up to her famous parents' legacy.

Sometimes I jokingly imagine Diligitis or his avatar the Dragon Knight getting ticked with some hateful villain and ranting the lyrics of Who Taught You How To Hate. Lately though, I think he would more go along with something like The Light with it's uplifting message of hope in dark times.

Hivemind would probably do Digital by Imagine Dragons, because... well, obviously.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Conall probably wouldn't sing. He'd have no clue of the tune or how most of the words should sound.

Cailean would probably sing "I'm On My Way".
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

~\Rook/~ wrote:For Dan, he has two picks: "More than Words" By 'Extreme' Or "Your Guardian Angel" By 'Red Jumpsuit Apparatus'. Both of them would be sung to Keeva. He's a sappy sort. Like me.
Not you got me think about what Kolt would sing as a love song to Jenny. Probably Magic by Mystery Skulls.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jaken would be 'Hungry like the Wolf'. (for innocent reasons.

Jenny - 'The Shoop-shoop song'(!)

Corp - (What else?) 'You're in the army now.'

Hannabelle - 'You give love a bad name'

Sarah (right now) 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams

Keeva - I found someone (To her missing dad and talking about Dan)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Corp is lying through his teeth right now. XD
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CyberDragon wrote:Corp is lying through his teeth right now. XD
The song?

Or, in the RP, he's just trying not to worry her more. He's not great at that sort of thing.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

ACK! Double Post!

Added to my last IC post. I was reading 'A Christmas Carol', which led to my thought on one of my favourite films.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I actually went to see the special 40th anniversary showing of the original Muppet Movie on Tuesday, and now I can’t stop picturing Lewis and Kolt singing Movin’ Right Along. In case you’re wondering, Lewis is Kermit and Kolt is Fozzie.

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Apologies for the double post, but I thought of another question to ask to help pass the time until the next post. What’s a scene you’ve wanted to write for one or more of your characters for a while now? Among other things, I’ve wanted:
Scenes of both Quint and Liz having a conversation with Diligitus. Quint’s would be focused on discussing his feelings regarding whether or not he qualifies as a person, while Liz’ would be about her trying to get in contact with her mother back in the Havenverse.
Kolt meeting Lewis and Liz. I’ve been wanted to do this since I first brought the two into BOH, but I haven’t been able to find a good reason for them to meet yet.
Kolt’s argument with Kobor and Talya. I’ve been waiting for my chance to write this for almost two years for this one, and given how they’re getting their brains reset soon, I don’t know if I ever will.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's going to be tough for me to answer that without spoilers since things I want to write typically get planned as part of the main plot...

I can say I really want to write a scene with Diligitis fully manifesting in his true form to do battle with Odium also in his true form.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

what was the argument about again?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Which argument?
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If I remember right, it was going to start with Kolt asking what was up with them flipping out back in the training sim yesterday, and once they explained the whole “brainwashed themselves into mindless killing” thing, he’d flip out, since something like that (and the reasons behind it) goes against his culture and his beliefs on a fundamental level. Depending on how the argument went from it, he’d probably escalate to violence before someone like Hivemind stepped in.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

oh THAT. that's a engineered response encoded on the genetic level. an artificial instinct if you will. it's still there, they'd still know what he's asking.

"Was i within the first two or three weeks after switching hosts? No? then it was probably a sleeper response."

and its not mindless so much as 'use everything at your disposal to eliminate this one thing in particular as quickly as possible, then compartmentalize the resulting memories and emotions.'
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

The compartmentalizing is a big reason of why he’d get upset, since he feels if you can’t live with the memory of killing someone, don’t kill them. You don’t just kill them and then lock away the memories. He’d also get mad at how flippantly they disregard the idea of trying to communicate with the Grehkall, since he’s been trying to take up Lila’s schtick of trying to talk down the baddies whenever possible. I think I already said this in an earlier post, but neither sides attitude is wrong for the society they come from, but is completely wrong for the others society.
Also, while we could still do the argument, Kolt (and I) wouldn’t really view it as an argument with Kobor and Talya, he’d view it as an argument with two brand new people who share their names and at most 5% of their memories.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:The compartmentalizing is a big reason of why he’d get upset, since he feels if you can’t live with the memory of killing someone, don’t kill them.
"Wrong psychology. the information isn't compartmentalized to eschew feelings of guilt, or post mortem empathy, or whatever other sappy nonsense. quite the opposite, it's a source of pleasure. we only restrict that part of ourselves because indulging it endangers the long-term survivability of the species. it's not a healthy habit to have when you need to co-exist with other species."

They compartmentalize the memory of their kills not because they can't live with it but because the vast majority of them enjoy it. if it weren't for the fact that they're smart enough to realize someone out there might come up with a way to 'cure' them, and wipe their kind out, the kaal would happily be a galactic plague. they have empathy out of necessity, not by nature.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”Well if you can brainwash yourself like that, why don’t you brainwash yourself to not enjoy killing?”
The more I learn about these two, the more I think they’re going to beat Ulrich for Kolt’s most hated teammate.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Yes, right, convert the backbone of the alliance military into a bunch of pacifists. i'm sure that won't have disastrous long term consequences. it's not like the local galaxies are kept peaceful and united by martial leadership or anything. freaking mamals, never thinking of the consequences further ahead than their own generation..."
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”When did I say become a pacifist? I said make it so you don’t enjoy killing. I don’t enjoy killing, but I’m still willing to do it if it’s absolutely necessary. Not that I expect you to understand, you sociopathic edgelords.”

Deske

Post by Deske »

Legotron123 wrote:”Well if you can brainwash yourself like that, why don’t you brainwash yourself to not enjoy killing?”
The more I learn about these two, the more I think they’re going to beat Ulrich for Kolt’s most hated teammate.
Ugh, I haven't written for Ulrich in a while. Remind me why Kolt hates him the most?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well, the first battle they fought together, Ulrich kinda insulted him for panicking over the fact that he was about to fight a hate god, followed that up by (from his perspective) randomly walking up to him in the middle of a party to ask him about a rather random detail from a traumatic period in his life, plus he spent less than a week thinking it over before deciding to become a superhero (admittedly, the scene where he talked about that happened before Kolt joined up, but I imagine that would be in his file). Overall, Kolt views Ulrich as being, at best, an inconsiderate Genius Ditz who didn’t think things through before becoming a hero, who’s going to last at most three months before either dying or encountering something he can’t handle and quitting.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If I recall, it was also because Ulrich trusted the Hobomancer too quickly for Kolt's liking, especially since the first of the Hobomancer's powers that he demonstrated was uncannily similar to Kolt's most hated enemy.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Yeah, while Kolt got over his problems with the Hobomancer rather quickly, that was once he earned his trust. Ulrich on the other hand, trusted him almost immediately, even after he’d acted in a very suspicious manner, which didn’t help Kolt’s view of him as a naive doofus.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:”When did I say become a pacifist? I said make it so you don’t enjoy killing. I don-"
(Interupt) "Functionally the same thing; a gestalt consciousness is 'thought by committee'. the majority wont favor an option that has no incentive."
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”......Unless you’re telling me the only reason you ever kill is because you enjoy it, I don’t see what incentives have to do with this. Because there are always incentives to kill. Self defense, achieving a goal, preventing them from killing other people. Not enjoying killing doesn’t magically make those all go away. Or are you telling me that you’re so selfish, that you consider your own comfort such a big incentive, that you wouldn’t raise a finger to defend yourself if doing so made you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable?”
Seriously though, I’m genuinely confused as to how losing one of the many incentives there are to kill would somehow make them pacifists.