2019/09/09 - The Transient Nature Of Being

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/09/09 - The Transient Nature Of Being

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not to mention, there are cases of several people who end up being high-school sweethearts and end up staying together through college and eventually get married. It really isn't that rare that it happens. It just might not happen for anyone you know.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

So Marion is going to be getting not only some good help via Fox, King, and likely more as needed to aid with figuring out how to change him back, but also some professional help to adjust to life as a (teenage) squirrel, at least for the time being? That’s cool. As Fenrir pointed out, Sabrina has at least some experience on that front. Well, okay, it was just one Jaguar Ghost that we’ve seen, but maybe that just points to how genuinely high-caliber that help will be. :lol: And given the magic(k)al nature of his issues, he can’t really see any other kind of therapist.

This may also take some of the hard work of helping Marion off of King’s shoulders. He has a lot he can share, sure, but he’s already got his hands full with the continuing learning experience of being a father, and he has to also get a job sometime soon as well; I don’t think he’d be a suitable 24/7 mentor for our squirrel.

The way things are going, especially with King implying that they’re going to need the help of more pets/people to help Marion, Part 4 could have what I talked about earlier: The game plan gets set, everyone goes back home/elsewhere to get some sleep mid-chapter, and the chapter continues the next morning with King picking up Marion from wherever he shacked up at to go do what they need to do.

Also, glad to see them now referring to Marion as he/him rather than “the squirrel” now that they all seem to be on the same page regarding his former humanity.

Also also, regarding Lois possibly leaving Marion if it takes too long to change him back: That problem won’t happen if Lois gets turned into an animal, too :twisted:
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not to mention, there are cases of several people who end up being high-school sweethearts and end up staying together through college and eventually get married. It really isn't that rare that it happens. It just might not happen for anyone you know.
I have a couple acquaintances from high school that followed that path. He became a Navy pilot and flew off carriers. They even adopted a child last year along with the two they already had. Nice people.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:King: Nothing in life is fair. Your parents will never except you now even if they do believe that you are their son. Graduation is a pipe dream. College is out of the question. Lois will eventually move on. But on the bright side, you can now hang out with the rest of pets in the neighborhood and it not be weird (because apparently humans actually hanging out with pets is an impossibility in this world.) So you need to get used to being a foot tall and a girl because this is your life now.
Why are you harshing on his parents? Lois and Fido didn't believe him but now do. If anything, his parents are the most likely people to support him once they get an explanation.
I like being melodramatic. ;) And it was supposed to be as harsh to prove a point. It was a "worse case" scenario type situation.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:To be more honest, Marion being 17 and a teenager isn't that relevant given the circumstances.
Aren't you the one who wants to know all the details even if they're irrelevant :)?
Yes, but This is different from those times. This is a different kind of irrelevancy that I'm referring too.
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: I doubt this would change any of her plans. She is going to college with or without Marion. If they planned to go to the same school then that sucks for him but I have a feeling that their relationship was over the moment summer ends anyway. She clearly cares for him but she is still 17 or 18 (who knows anymore).
I think I was thinking of his relationship with her, not her plans for college/career. Those she can stray on track for if she wants. But how does she, for example, allow the masquerade with Marion as her pet before she decides she needs to move on?
I don't see her masquerading with Marion as a pet at all. If they were desperate maybe but if that did happen she would still leave him at home while she's off at college. As far as long term plans, I don't know. I think they would have to come to an understanding that they are done and move on. Simple and clean break.
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Career goals? He's a foot tall and smaller than his laptop. As far as level headed, I still believe that is his hope of changing back reasonably soon keeping him from spiraling considering his meltdown with Lois. He WILL come to accept his form and options but it will take time and we, the reader, might not even see it. I'm sure there will be more crying. Again I would be more prone to believe that he could salvage most of his life he was transformed into a different animal. Right now, excuse my bluntness, he's vermin. His own mother forced him out of the house with a broom so I doubt total strangers would be any more welcoming. Kevin chased him up a tree. If he was a dog, cat, or even higher up on the food chain, I would believe that he would have a better chance at a semi-normal life. His best hope for semi-normal is being able to sleep in his own bed at night. The Milton's may be able to hire him to do something but even I don't know what he could do but then again I don't think it will come to that. I personally think he will change back before he has to make any kind of grand career choice.
To be fair about his mother, she would have had no reason to beleive a random animal of any type in her house claiming to be her son. If Marion had turned into a cat, she'd have showed it out, too. If he'd ended up a mountain lion, she'd have called animal control.

As for accommodations, I can't imagine that in a universe where sapient animals are a thing down to the size of mice that there is nothing like a correct size keyboard for him. The solution here really is how and even if Rick wants to depict it.

It is an interesting notion that Marion might just decide to jettison the part of his life that made up human goals and "go native". I could easily see that as something of a future rock bottom where he takes off into the woods or something after one too many roadblocks derail his attempt at normalcy. Or he becomes too comfortable just hanging around the house all day.
To be more fair to his mother and less fair to Marion, if he was a cat or cougar she might be more willing to listen or understand. Let's roleplay for a second, if a random cat showed up she might freak out but assert a more calm approach and might be more prone to listen to him because in her mind a cat is more acceptable to her and more culturally appropriate to being in a house. I mean she's not going to be thrilled a cat managed to break into her home but it's still a step up. If he did end up as a cougar, she would most likely run away from the house, but on the off chance she stands her ground, she would be more prone to listen for her own selfdefense. Once that happens Marion could more calmly explain the situation or at least show that he is not a threat to her despite his appearance. At the very very least, he could defend himself.

As far as mouse/small sized keyboards go, even in the HPU that seems like a stretch because even if there would be those few who would buy them, no company would want to manufacture them because they would not be able to turn a profit. Not to mention the amount of work it would be to make one small enough for a mouse to use.

After the previous night's adventure, I don't see Marion "going native" and running into the woods no matter how depressing his life turns out. I think he's smart enough and has enough of a support from the others that someone will take him into their home and then he'll become comfortable.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Someone probably mentioned this way back.

Although there is no precedent in the HP universe, I've been thinking it's possible for Marion to be some form of were-squirrel a la Teen Wolf. Although the gender-swap still really wouldn't make much sense in this scenario and there's really nothing pointing to it yet. In Teen Wolf it was hereditary, so maybe Marion's dad is too busy munching on acorns somewhere to explain it to him. Teen Wolf was also 17 when he discovered he was a werewolf. I suppose this would be one of the better outcomes for Marion.

I was thinking on the whole smaller Squirrel-sized tech thing, and figured Guinea Pigs are roughly squirrel sized so they'd probably make some stuff for them since they're relatively common pets, but I don't think there's been a Guinea Pig in the series yet.

edit: I don't know why Marion's mom wouldn't know about it then, unless his dad is just that good at hiding it.
Last edited by Sir Chestnut on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Sir Chestnut wrote:I was thinking on the whole smaller Squirrel-sized tech thing, and figured Guinea Pigs are roughly squirrel sized so they'd probably make some stuff for them since they're relatively common pets, but I don't think there's been a Guinea Pig in the series yet.
There's Alan and the Ground Squirrels.

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
tych

Post by tych »

is it weird I want context for King's outburst at the end?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
As far as mouse/small sized keyboards go, even in the HPU that seems like a stretch because even if there would be those few who would buy them, no company would want to manufacture them because they would not be able to turn a profit. Not to mention the amount of work it would be to make one small enough for a mouse to use.
This whole thing is a bit like arguing how many angles can dance on the head of a pin, really. Rick can decide (assuming that he cares or it makes a lick of difference to the story or setting) to settle this with one or two lines of dialoug. We already know that Marion can use a laptop because he did when he first decided to "Solve this squirrel thing!"

Which also might go back to how his mother reacted, too. She didn't return to Marion sitting on the couch, calmly talking to her. She came home to a squirrel in the middle of a caffeine overdose that had torn up the yellow pages and scattered it all over the house. If she'd returned to a calico who had wrecked the house, I think she'd have thrown him out, too.

As for who would make things for smaller critters? There are these really rich ferrets with far, far more money than sense....
fenrirblack wrote: After the previous night's adventure, I don't see Marion "going native" and running into the woods no matter how depressing his life turns out. I think he's smart enough and has enough of a support from the others that someone will take him into their home and then he'll become comfortable.
I could see it if things really hit the fan again, but I rather hope that Rick is passed the rock bottom phase of Marions arc. It would be nice if things start to get better for him. Perhaps not perfect, but better.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:Which also might go back to how his mother reacted, too. She didn't return to Marion sitting on the couch, calmly talking to her. She came home to a squirrel in the middle of a caffeine overdose that had torn up the yellow pages and scattered it all over the house. If she'd returned to a calico who had wrecked the house, I think she'd have thrown him out, too. :x
Again though if Marion was a calico he wouldn’t have destroyed the house which raises the question of how a cat would have reacted to that drink. Even then I doubt even if Marion hadn’t doomed himself, his mother wouldn’t have reacted well to a squirrel in the house. I do wonder that if he was a “pet” animal if he could have lied and said that her son let him in and told him he could stay. I’m curious about how that would have gone because it would say a lot about his mother depending on her reaction, but that’s just lot of what if’s. In the end Marion’s mother has to react the way she did so Marion would be “missing” leading Lois to go to the police and be introduced to a fox who introduces Marion to King.
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: After the previous night's adventure, I don't see Marion "going native" and running into the woods no matter how depressing his life turns out. I think he's smart enough and has enough of a support from the others that someone will take him into their home and then he'll become comfortable.
I could see it if things really hit the fan again, but I rather hope that Rick is passed the rock bottom phase of Marions arc. It would be nice if things start to get better for him. Perhaps not perfect, but better.
I can’t remember how the “beats” go off the top of my head but we are past the all is lost phase and at the “guide” phase now that King is involved so we are heading towards the climax now. Things should be better from here on. The next step should be getting Marion home. That is going interesting for a number of reasons because King didn’t have that luxury so this will be a new experience for him. It would also be a good chance to learn more about his parents.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

tych wrote:is it weird I want context for King's outburst at the end?
nah, kinda do too...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

tych wrote:is it weird I want context for King's outburst at the end?
I think it's one of those things we'll never get an answer to, much like the reasoning behind Darryl owning a shaving kit. Hence the Noodle Incident reference in alt text.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think the outburst was actually stemming from him having very difficult teenaged years and his mother not understanding him and writing it off. Then again, we know his father was abusive but maybe his mother was just really passive.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think the outburst was actually stemming from him having very difficult teenaged years and his mother not understanding him and writing it off. Then again, we know his father was abusive but maybe his mother was just really passive.
I think he's referencing something specific that we don't, and likely won't ever, know. Akin to someone up-thread speculating that he'd been a furry. I doubt that's it, but something along those lines.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Joel had been a furry, then his reaction would have been QUITE different when Pete transformed him.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Joel had been a furry, then his reaction would have been QUITE different when Pete transformed him.
Perhaps not at first, but I think he'd have been more fascinated than angry after the initial shock wore off. Especially once he started interacting with the other animals.

It does make me wonder, is there a furry fandom in HPU, what does it look like, and what on Earth do the other animals think of it? I'd imagine Jessica would be bewildered beyond belief.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think the outburst was actually stemming from him having very difficult teenaged years and his mother not understanding him and writing it off. Then again, we know his father was abusive but maybe his mother was just really passive.
We know they were horrible people I don't think his father was abusive, to him anyway, but I agree that his mother most likely was very passive which is why despite everything she ended up in heaven also because the Fields of Asphodel aren't a thing in the HPU. There are other ways to hurt people without resorting to physical or verbal abuse because they are too dark for the HPU. I still pray everyday that we'll meet King's father and for that to happen he can't be the worse father ever.
dr_eirik wrote:I think he's referencing something specific that we don't, and likely won't ever, know. Akin to someone up-thread speculating that he'd been a furry. I doubt that's it, but something along those lines.
It's one of those things we will never know despite my many many pleads for said information like Jack's arm, Poncho's scar, Gale falling off that cliff, king's real age. You know the "irrelevant" things. Which I know why it is like this because if Rick ever did ever did give this information it would forever be set in stone and he wouldn't be able to change it.
As far as speculation, Joel being a furry is the top assumption based on what I gleaned from the internet comments. So even if that isn't it, even I think it is too, it should be to satisfy the majority opinion.

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Joel had been a furry, then his reaction would have been QUITE different when Pete transformed him.
Perhaps not at first, but I think he'd have been more fascinated than angry after the initial shock wore off. Especially once he started interacting with the other animals.

It does make me wonder, is there a furry fandom in HPU, what does it look like, and what on Earth do the other animals think of it? I'd imagine Jessica would be bewildered beyond belief.
All in all considering his reaction was far different from the others I feel like there might be something to this. In his own sarcastic way, he was welcoming it which also raises some questions like subconsciously he did want it or at least didn't mind. Looking back if it happened differently, like if someone other than Pete did it and did not kidnap him afterwards we would have a better answer to this question. Not to mention this happened too.

I have been informed before that it was implied that yes it is a thing in the HPU or at least that is how I'm now interrupting this.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

In the event that that was the case, consider that his first shock was that he was naked and no longer could count on his free will.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

[quote=“fenrirblack]As far as long term plans, I don't know. I think they would have to come to an understanding that they are done and move on. Simple and clean break.[/quote]

I’m not sure that Rick would subject Marion to even more pain like that even in the long term, especially after the climax in the last chapter where he and Lois had that touching mini-reunion. I think that Lois is going to continue to be a key character in Marion’s overall character arc. Partly because I believe it’s going to be revealed that River Ridge has a University in the near future and that’s where Lois will go as well as King so he can qualifications for a job, and that’d enable Lois to stay close to Marion. Also partly because I feel like a break-up could lead to a future arc where a still-squirrelified Marion either “goes native” and tries to seek out a relationship with another squirrel, or some other squirrel seeks him out. Given Marion’s former humanity and him getting turned into a female squirrel, I feel like such an arc would be problematic in multiple ways.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It may be problematic and disturbing, but you wouldn't be able to argue that it wouldn't be funny either. xD
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not to mention, there are cases of several people who end up being high-school sweethearts and end up staying together through college and eventually get married. It really isn't that rare that it happens. It just might not happen for anyone you know.
I have a couple acquaintances from high school that followed that path. He became a Navy pilot and flew off carriers. They even adopted a child last year along with the two they already had. Nice people.
My maternal grandparents, too.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hearing all of these stories makes me feel a bit more happy knowing that love will conquer time even if its looking like I am gonna end up alone in my life.