2019/09/20 - On The Rebound

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/09/20 - On The Rebound

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/09/20 - On The Rebound]
Title Text: if all else fails, I can lean back on my innate sense of style, or my ability to drink soda through my nose

Hey, Bronson, did you know that rodent teeth can cause quite a bit of damage if they wanted to?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Legotron123

Re: 2019/09/20 - On The Rebound

Post by Legotron123 »

Completely lacking in self awareness, and incapable of taking no for an answer? My, the girls must be swarming to go out with you!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know that actually is an interesting question. What are they going to do about it relationship wise?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

At least it doesn't seem to have gotten out that Marion's been changed in more ways than just his species.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Uh oh someone got a name. Watch out for Marion cooties Bronson or you might be next.

I guess he would have to “hear” about it since he can’t see with that ridiculous hat over his eyes.

Well, at least we are avoiding "i don't believe Miles or Marion about the whole transformation thing" so good for Marion's classmates about being so open minded.

I sense Marion and Lois having a long and awkward conversation in the near future:
Lois: Marion I think we should break up. And before you say anything, this is not because you're a squirrel and a female.
Marion: I find that hard to believe.
Lois: Marion, I'm going to Yale and you're not even going to college at all now. It was never going to work.
Marion: We can still try.
Lois: Don't make this harder than it needs to be. You have an exciting future ahead of you with the other animals around the neighborhood.
Marion: But they're all so weird. There is one dog who dresses up like a cat and is dating a mouse.
Lois: Marion, you're a human in a squirrel's body. You'll fit right in.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

That's adorable they got Marion a high-chair for a desk. Is there one of those in every class he has? Bronson is pretty accepting about the notion of squirrelification (probably because it works to his advantage for getting a girl (not really, but he thinks he can spin this (he can't))). I guess with a name like Bronson he's all brawn and no brain.
D-Rock wrote:Hey, Bronson, did you know that rodent teeth can cause quite a bit of damage if they wanted to?
Granted, human teeth could as well.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'm trying to think of the student's confusion over Marion with this one.

I wonder when he’s going to realise it?
She’s having a normal conversation.
With everything that happened to herself
he still fits in with the teenage nation.
His friends still know she’s him under the fur
and they’ll never treat him any different.
Her enemies might use her against him
but his voice is the most vociferent.
He is Marion, their friend through and through,
no matter what he resembles for now.
He is still himself, given furry form.
If he has to prove it? He will. And how.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Gotta love that tiny desk.

Also I gotta say, I have no idea where this arc is headed, and tbh I love not knowing
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Bronson must have a death wish if he thinks he can swap Marion's girlfriend just because of his condition. The squirrel is still tougher and faster than he looks.

I love how 90s Bronson looks. Reminds me of some of the kids I knew back then.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Well, first strip after the big reveal and Marion seems to not be in mortal danger or in the middle of being humiliated. I guess Miles’ video included enough hints that he and/or his kids would have a nice “talk” with anybody who tried messing with our squirrel that he’s safe for the time being.

My thoughts on Bronson before I head to sleep: He’s named so it looks like we’re going to be seeing more of him, Marion seems to know how to mock him well enough so he doesn’t seem like a bully but rather a smug slacker type that’s just an acquaintance (and seems like he may be on a lower rung of the social ladder than Marion, even with Marion being a squirrel), and here’s hoping he gets turned into an animal soon because that could only serve to improve his looks.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Seeing how open and accepting people are about Marion makes me wish that King was honest from the beginning about who he was. If that were the case then Pete would have to change Joel after he gets let out of jail on parole (being a dog would be fun to explain to his parole officer. Oooh boy they would get a laugh. That would make it worth while right there.) The biggest problem would be Fox. Joel would have to lie when they first meet then he would scream it out during this scene then this scene would be changed to Fox finding him then begrudgingly beginning to forgive him for what he did. That would actually make it even more heartwarming and meaningful.
Ash Greytree wrote:Well, first strip after the big reveal and Marion seems to not be in mortal danger or in the middle of being humiliated. I guess Miles’ video included enough hints that he and/or his kids would have a nice “talk” with anybody who tried messing with our squirrel that he’s safe for the time being.
If that was the case then I really regret not being shown the full video because that would be epic.
Ash Greytree wrote:My thoughts on Bronson before I head to sleep: He’s named so it looks like we’re going to be seeing more of him, Marion seems to know how to mock him well enough so he doesn’t seem like a bully but rather a smug slacker type that’s just an acquaintance (and seems like he may be on a lower rung of the social ladder than Marion, even with Marion being a squirrel), and here’s hoping he gets turned into an animal soon because that could only serve to improve his looks.
Oh snap! :o

On last thought about Bronson, if someone like Bronson called me an “inhuman abomination” I honestly don’t know if I would be insulted or impressed.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... ah, study hall. The fulcrum of secondary school intellectual discourse. Well, at least no one's tried to set Marion's tail on fire... Actual, Bronson's been fairly civil. Obtuse, stupid, and insensitive, but civil.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Wow, everybody seems pretty chill about this whole transformation business so far.

And YAY! New character!
One with the ability to see cclearly through a wool cap. That might impress the ladies.
fenrirblack wrote:On last thought about Bronson, if someone like Bronson called me an “inhuman abomination” I honestly don’t know if I would be insulted or impressed.
It's a nice expression, don't get to see it used often. : )
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Huh. wasn't expecting that.

Looks like we're going to be going all the way with Marion until the end of the six days.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Love that little desk Marion has. Same time, it would be interesting to see how the relationship between him and Lois goes now.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Xane wrote:"Maybe if you turned into a hyena... well at least somebody would be laughing."
Something about how Beanie hat dude talks tells me he'd be in the exact opposite situation if this did happen to him compared to Marion. Like his life can only go up from there.

A little surprised by two things here: 1. Marion talking to human classmates before the wolves. Guess there was no guarantee that was going to happen, but Rick usually seems to force the humans out of the story the first moment he can. 2. Rick is surprising me with the human designs lately. Maybe teenagers just have more out there outfits he can work with or something, but these are some really fun designs he's been making lately. Guessing he might just be doing this so he can make their designs recognizable if these characters are the ones that get transmogrified, but I'm seriously impressed by the humans right now
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Champion Wallace wrote:I guess with a name like Bronson he's all brawn and no brain.
Honestly, looking at him, he seems to be lacking in the brawn department as well.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’ve said it before but I’m impressed with how well Marion is handling things. Some dope in a beanie insults him and talks about taking Lois and he remains calm. Of course, it helps that Lois hates the guy. Love his desk/high chair, I wonder if they move that one to every one of his classes or if they have one set up in all the classrooms.
Last edited by trekkie on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fenrirblack wrote:Seeing how open and accepting people are about Marion makes me wish that King was honest from the beginning about who he was. If that were the case then Pete would have to change Joel after he gets let out of jail on parole (being a dog would be fun to explain to his parole officer. Oooh boy they would get a laugh. That would make it worth while right there.) The biggest problem would be Fox. Joel would have to lie when they first meet then he would scream it out during this scene then this scene would be changed to Fox finding him then begrudgingly beginning to forgive him for what he did. That would actually make it even more heartwarming and meaningful.
*patiently waits for fanfic*
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

How does a guy like this have the word "abomination" in his vocabulary?

On another note, I have seen this character type used over and over again in media but never actually met anyone like that. I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of those stock characters that doesn't actually exist in real life.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Not much to say about this comic, other than it does seem that his day is not going as badly as he thought it would.

Also, if Bronson is destined for his own furry form, seems a sheepdog would be appropriate.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

dr_eirik wrote:Not much to say about this comic, other than it does seem that his day is not going as badly as he thought it would.

Also, if Bronson is destined for his own furry form, seems a sheepdog would be appropriate.
Personally, I'm hopeful Xane's idea of hyena is on the money... or an otter, but everyone just wants their favorite animal to have a chance
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Gameb18oy wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:Not much to say about this comic, other than it does seem that his day is not going as badly as he thought it would.

Personally, I'm hopeful Xane's idea of hyena is on the money... or an otter, but everyone just wants their favorite animal to have a chance
How about a skunk or a Quokka?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Is it odd to anyone else that the moment we see a new human character, we immediately start to speculate what animal they'll be? 8-)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

dr_eirik wrote:Is it odd to anyone else that the moment we see a new human character, we immediately start to speculate what animal they'll be? 8-)
Considering this comic's main fanbase, not in the slightest
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

dr_eirik wrote:Is it odd to anyone else that the moment we see a new human character, we immediately start to speculate what animal they'll be? 8-)
Yes.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

The only ones who get transformed are those who karmically deserve it...and maybe Marion.

That said can I take "remain human" in the betting pool? That or sheep.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:The only ones who get transformed are those who karmically deserve it...and maybe Marion.

That said can I take "remain human" in the betting pool? That or sheep.
Funny thing is, it almost looks like Bronson might be karmically vulnerable, but the way that I remember busting chops with friends he could be one of Marions' oldest and dearest friends. It's actually a little hard to say here.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

And he's at his class. :) Good, Marion has a desk for his new sizes. :D Seems that his school was prepared for a such eventuality, since they already had one. ;) So, looks like Miles said his name presenting the new squirrel, and so, the other class mates understood the rest... :roll: Huh? An inhuman abomination? Squirrels are cute! :x :P Lois has been with Marion after this inexplicable transformation, and that's a proof of her love for him. :) Meh, this Bronson is such a loser... Forget definitely about her, and as we're knowing from Marion, she already rejected you and laughed at you. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If I had a choice between going out on a date with this ******* or shearing off my hair, just call me Britney!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nobody wrote:How does a guy like this have the word "abomination" in his vocabulary?

On another note, I have seen this character type used over and over again in media but never actually met anyone like that. I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of those stock characters that doesn't actually exist in real life.
Probably because someone called him that name and he's not sure what it means but the word feels tickly coming out of his chatbox... ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It's fun to speculate and think about. The possibilities are exciting. But I don't think Bronson is going to be important enough to be changed.
But on the off change he does get chosen it would be possible. He does strike me as someone who would be walking along and hears Stewards voice from the shadows calling him. "Hey kid, you want to see something neat?" Bronson walks into the darkness then POOF.
Gameb18oy wrote:
He has a point.
D-Rock wrote:
Yes.
No.
Gameb18oy wrote:

Not wrong. I'm still waiting for a tiger transformation.
Hyena wearing a knit cap...I can see that. :)
If we do start seeing more human becoming animals we are going to have to find ways to differentiate them from the regular pets and ferals. Marion has his bracelet, Lois has her bandana, and Steward his glasses.
dr_eirik wrote:Funny thing is, it almost looks like Bronson might be karmically vulnerable, but the way that I remember busting chops with friends he could be one of Marions' oldest and dearest friends. It's actually a little hard to say here.
It is possible. I mean Marion never struck me as Mr. Popular although if Bronson is his friend that would explain why.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
It's fun to speculate and think about. The possibilities are exciting. But I don't think Bronson is going to be important enough to be changed.
But on the off change he does get chosen it would be possible. He does strike me as someone who would be walking along and hears Stewards voice from the shadows calling him. "Hey kid, you want to see something neat?" Bronson walks into the darkness then POOF.
You know, given the coloration of our friendly badger, you should have moved that into a sewer grate and had him holding a red balloon. 8-)

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:
He has a point.
No,you're correct. But it's not like there's been mass changes in humans in this comic... yet.
fenrirblack wrote: Not wrong. I'm still waiting for a tiger transformation.
Hyena wearing a knit cap...I can see that. :)
If we do start seeing more human becoming animals we are going to have to find ways to differentiate them from the regular pets and ferals. Marion has his bracelet, Lois has her bandana, and Steward his glasses.
I don't think glasses work, since Miles wears them, and not always his "tag". I suspect if we see more transformed humans, you'll see them wearing pants. If we see Steward reintegrate, he'll be dressed like he did before the fur.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

We'll say Steward has his coin then
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
You know, given the coloration of our friendly badger, you should have moved that into a sewer grate and had him holding a red balloon. 8-)
I did.
fenrirblack wrote: I can see Steward lurking in the sewers as some rando comes by and he holds out the coin and says "Here. Take it." That is how my mind works.
TendoTwo

Post by TendoTwo »

I am really just surprised everyone seems to be pretty chill about him being a squirrel now. You would think people would be freaking out that a human somehow got turned into a squirrel and nobody knows how or why instead of just going "Oh, hi Maron, so you're a squirrel now? That sucks!"
Frank

Post by Frank »

Genie: Women appreciate a man who can make her laugh!
TendoTwo wrote:I am really just surprised everyone seems to be pretty chill about him being a squirrel now. You would think people would be freaking out that a human somehow got turned into a squirrel and nobody knows how or why instead of just going "Oh, hi Maron, so you're a squirrel now? That sucks!"
this guy is probably a bully, not exactly known for being bright
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
DocFlareon

Post by DocFlareon »

On the topic of former humans, I'd like to see a bird or reptile transformation take place. I'm imagining a cobra along the lines of Ajar from Sahara.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:Seeing how open and accepting people are about Marion makes me wish that King was honest from the beginning about who he was. If that were the case then Pete would have to change Joel after he gets let out of jail on parole (being a dog would be fun to explain to his parole officer. Oooh boy they would get a laugh. That would make it worth while right there.) The biggest problem would be Fox. Joel would have to lie when they first meet then he would scream it out during this scene then this scene would be changed to Fox finding him then begrudgingly beginning to forgive him for what he did. That would actually make it even more heartwarming and meaningful.
It's pretty easy to imagine what that AU would be like. That One Scene you described where Fox forgives King after learning King=Joel still happened almost exactly as you described.
fenrirblack wrote:If we do start seeing more human becoming animals we are going to have to find ways to differentiate them from the regular pets and ferals. Marion has his bracelet, Lois has her bandana, and Steward his glasses.
And Keene has his sunglasses, Sasha has her bangles and Thomas has... where were we going with this again?
The cape comes with the promotion.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

DocFlareon wrote:On the topic of former humans, I'd like to see a bird or reptile transformation take place. I'm imagining a cobra along the lines of Ajar from Sahara.
Was about to see if I can argue against this being possible... but at least a bird is possible considering that crow in Max's flashback. It's unclear if aside from that one snake way back in the first zoo arc (of which frustratingly only 2 have not exclusively focused on the roos, and yes I am still bitter about Rick's favoritism) if reptiles can be intelligent, and even then, it might be in a place similar to the dolphins where they can speak and plot world domination... but don't mistake that from them having true intelligence.

Kinda wonder if the first human turned bird would have an even worse day then Marion. On one hand, they can fly, their animal superpowers are obvious... but if Kevin was scary for just chasing Marion, can you imagine the scares the whole town full of cats could cause if Sabrina isn't the first one to find them? ... A small part of me that likes dark humor wants some regular birds to try and save their skin by mentioning they are human... and the cat's take painfully long to weigh if it's worth the risk.