2019/10/16 - Office Space

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Nathan Kerbonaut

Re: 2019/10/16 - Office Space

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Today's comic is my recent fave. Thomas's humor/sarcasm/delusion really resonates with me, even if it is kinda sad.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Well, all he's done to prove he's evil so far is try, viciously and malevolently, to purchase Ferals to sign up for something he has no access to that'll make their lives easier. If that's evil, it's the sort I want to meet.

Pretty much. And Steward was never really evil in the Capital E sorta way. As far as we saw, he was an embezzler. He was going to steal the treasure and some of the Milton money. Not a good guy, for sure, but he wasn't tying Nell to the railroad tracks.

It's not that I don't think he could be out for revenge, but I still think that his situation is more complex than that.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Uh-oh. I hope that the staff are aware of what is going on with Thomas. He seems to be teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown. XD
Okay, that raises some interesting backstory puzzlements. How did Thomas and Sophie wind up in the zoo? In a world where wolves, pumas, and other purportedly "wild" creatures get to walk around freely and interact with humans, why are these two caged? And, to stretch your question just a little, Amaze, how much do the staff know about the two of them? I assume - with absolutely NO evidence - that Thomas has not told the staff that he's a former human (just as Steward has not told the Treehousers that be was not to the badger born). Nonetheless, as we've chatted about before, such secrets don't stay secret long in Babylon Gardens...Poncho knows, for example. So, is Thomas under cover or free-to-go at his own volition? Might he blow Steward's "cover" and then back we'll go to the Treehouse or the Police Station - and isn't Marion supposed to be in school?

… and we'll have Sophie along for the color-commentary. I bet she and Lois are gonna become pals. ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Uh-oh. I hope that the staff are aware of what is going on with Thomas. He seems to be teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown. XD
Okay, that raises some interesting backstory puzzlements. How did Thomas and Sophie wind up in the zoo? In a world where wolves, pumas, and other purportedly "wild" creatures get to walk around freely and interact with humans, why are these two caged? And, to stretch your question just a little, Amaze, how much do the staff know about the two of them? I assume - with absolutely NO evidence - that Thomas has not told the staff that he's a former human (just as Steward has not told the Treehousers that be was not to the badger born). Nonetheless, as we've chatted about before, such secrets don't stay secret long in Babylon Gardens...Poncho knows, for example. So, is Thomas under cover or free-to-go at his own volition? Might he blow Steward's "cover" and then back we'll go to the Treehouse or the Police Station - and isn't Marion supposed to be in school?

… and we'll have Sophie along for the color-commentary. I bet she and Lois are gonna become pals. ;)
The zoo thing has been a bit inconsistent, but we've seen that the animals are, in general, employees. So the camel habitat that we see may be more to keep unwanted visitors out rather than the camels in. But we've seen other animals that appear to have the freedom to come an go, the kangaroos are an obvious example.

Then again, when this came up before, it was pointed out that Keene was trapped with the black footed ferrets until Rock realized he was missing. That was weeks or months.

I suspect that the real reason this isn't consistent is that Rick has altered things as the story needs it. The in-universe exploitation hasn't been made.

As for how Thomas and Sophia both managed to get in there? Also hard to say. I could see Thomas having no other option in the aftermath of the temple collapse and begging the zoo to take him on for food and shelter. Then he gets kinda "stuck" there without knowing what to do. Even if Thomas had resources left to help himself out, who was going to give them to a camel claiming to be a human? And other than zoo exhibit, there can't be many jobs open to a camel without hands. Also, I never had the impression that Thomas had many job skills outside of scheming.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Well, all he's done to prove he's evil so far is try, viciously and malevolently, to purchase Ferals to sign up for something he has no access to that'll make their lives easier. If that's evil, it's the sort I want to meet.

Pretty much. And Steward was never really evil in the Capital E sorta way. As far as we saw, he was an embezzler. He was going to steal the treasure and some of the Milton money. Not a good guy, for sure, but he wasn't tying Nell to the railroad tracks.

It's not that I don't think he could be out for revenge, but I still think that his situation is more complex than that.
Steward never was supervillain material. He was always more into white color crime. That said, I still believe that him forcing the ECP onto the ferals is only a ploy to get back into the Milton's good graces so he doesn't have to live in the woods with the rest of the nut jobs (I mean look who he lives with.) Anything evil he does will be for his own benefit and whether or not "revenge" is part of that depends on what he gets out of it. There is no point in ruining the ECP or the Milton's lives if he's still stuck living in Jess's treehouse. He is smart but not very assertive. He was never the man in charge as much as the secretary for both the Milton's and Thomas's plan. Hs strategy is to manipulate from the shadows so we'll see what happens when Marion meet him again. No matter what happens, I'm sure whatever Steward is planning is going to involve manipulating Marion to some extent to get what he really wants. Whether or not that goal is good or evil (its totally evil) or simply greedy is still unknown because we really STILL don't know too much about him as a character. (I mean really, he was such a wallflower until the Temple Crashers then we've gotten these vague gestures and hints that's he's up to something).
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

You know, there is an interesting detail that I wonder if it might come up. I was looking back at Sophia in previous comics (something in my brain thought she looked different, she isn't) but Pete's recording tells Thomas that the reversal scrolls are in a jar.

A jar that's already broken open.

I realize the temple is ancient and people might have broken in over the millennia and been transformed, but it does leave open the possibility that some unknown player is out there who found the treasure after it was moved to Babylon Gardens but before the temple fell.

If that's the case, then perhaps Marion was transformed by a coin for reasons that we just don't know yet.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:You know, there is an interesting detail that I wonder if it might come up. I was looking back at Sophia in previous comics (something in my brain thought she looked different, she isn't) but Pete's recording tells Thomas that the reversal scrolls are in a jar.

I realize the temple is ancient and people might have broken in over the millennia and been transformed, but it does leave open the possibility that some unknown player is out there who found the treasure after it was moved to Babylon Gardens but before the temple fell.

If that's the case, then perhaps Marion was transformed by a coin for reasons that we just don't know yet.
Your right, the jar was smashed and one of the scrolls was already unfurled. It had to be Henry Milton. He was the only one who we know had contact with Pete. It would explain his weird fascination with animal equality, the ferrets, and why he chose to become a ferret in heaven.
Hang on, if Henry used the Information from the scroll to chang back, he may have recorded it somewhere in His notes. If that is the case then a few things are possible or not possible. Since we don’t know how Marion was changed there is no guarantee that the counter curse would work. That said, if Henry Milton did make a copy of what was written on the scroll then Keene most likely would have come across it. It is entirely possible that Keene is withholding information (well more info) from Marion to suit his own needs. But this is all speculation but worth noting.
Even if there was another coin out in the universe, there is still no sensible explanation for why or how Marion came in contact with it during the four hours he was asleep.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

SeanWolf wrote:Thomas' "office" sorta reminds me of a Flintstones office in a weird way.
Not many ways to be reminded of a Flinstone office in a normal way.
NHWestoN wrote:We are not pod people. In fact, we are not people. Or you dis-not agree, Domas?
Nothing worse than been sick of work on a hump day.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:You know, there is an interesting detail that I wonder if it might come up. I was looking back at Sophia in previous comics (something in my brain thought she looked different, she isn't) but Pete's recording tells Thomas that the reversal scrolls are in a jar.

Your right, the jar was smashed and one of the scrolls was already unfurled. It had to be Henry Milton. He was the only one who we know had contact with Pete. It would explain his weird fascination with animal equality, the ferrets, and why he chose to become a ferret in heaven.
Hang on, if Henry used the Information from the scroll to chang back, he may have recorded it somewhere in His notes. If that is the case then a few things are possible or not possible. Since we don’t know how Marion was changed there is no guarantee that the counter curse would work. That said, if Henry Milton did make a copy of what was written on the scroll then Keene most likely would have come across it. It is entirely possible that Keene is withholding information (well more info) from Marion to suit his own needs. But this is all speculation but worth noting.
Even if there was another coin out in the universe, there is still no sensible explanation for why or how Marion came in contact with it during the four hours he was asleep.
The idea that Henry was the one transformed is interesting and does fit what we know about him. I dont think he left enough behind for Keene to know that, though. If he had, I dont think that Keene would have been as surprised by seeing him as a ferret in Heaven. It does make me wonder, assuming that all happened, how long he spent like that.

It is also true that it doesn't explain at all how Marion transformed, we still need more information for that. But it does leave a slight opening for another possible player to this little game. Maybe even someone we already know.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You mean like a certain badger that we saw flipping the coin in his paws? ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You mean like a certain badger that we saw flipping the coin in his paws? ;)
I was thinking way outside the box and perhaps a pet in the neighborhood was once human, someone we dont know well. There are certainly enough characters that it could happen.

Granted, there is zero in the strip to point to this theory. Its is a theory being pulled out of a place the sun dont shine... Seattle, WA.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

NHWestoN wrote:

The wolves and pumas only get to walk around freely because of the ECP. At other times they have been greeted less than favorably. Where else could Thomas go besides the zoo? He wouldn't be able to survive in the wild so that would be a death sentence. He couldn't live a human life without the ECP and they're in no position to give him that after what he's done. Lastly deporting him to Arabia or anything else would be more trouble than hiring him at the zoo.
dr_eirik wrote:The zoo thing has been a bit inconsistent, but we've seen that the animals are, in general, employees. So the camel habitat that we see may be more to keep unwanted visitors out rather than the camels in. But we've seen other animals that appear to have the freedom to come an go, the kangaroos are an obvious example.
The kangaroo's kitschy vacation was structured and not their usual life. The title text for Roo’d made it clear zoo animals are required to stay in their enclosure or else they'll be tracked down by security.
Xane wrote:https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... ft-behind/

That one happened after Keene demanded that they nullify their agreement to... ignore the temple? How would Steward know what it is and want Keene to stay away from it before he'd heard Thomas describe the temple? To keep him from getting the treasure first? https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... erm-lodge/
As Daryl makes clear, the temple is common knowledge to certain people. You don't need to wait for Thomas to tell you it's special if Costume Ink proselytizes that to you (or you hear it second hand).
dr_eirik wrote:Granted, there is zero in the strip to point to this theory. Its is a theory being pulled out of a place the sun dont shine... Seattle, WA.
First, Forks, WA gets more rain then Seattle. Second, the place where the sun don't shine is actually Mayfield, Nebraska.
Attachments
Far Side where the sun does not shine.jpg
Far Side where the sun does not shine.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 14567 times
The cape comes with the promotion.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Speaking of animals that were once something else....

How long do foxes live? Will Pete and dragon ALWAYS reincarnate together as siblings for atleast 8 to 9 more respawnings as animals? Or is there a chance they may reincarnate as non related people, and, of the great kitsune is willing to go very messed, have them become lovers in one live time to basically emotionally, psychologically, morally, and physically scar them? I hope not, because that would be a really low blow, and I hope some divine intervention keeps that from happening.

Or

Would they even be Pete and dragon(seriously wished she had a actual name, I mean, why is the Griffin the ONLY demi god with a name? This feels complicated, especially with dragon, as we have seen atleast ONE other dragon make a appearance, so this could be very confusing.) Be considered those beings anymore? Even if they get their memory back, they have long lost their divine status, and how does one go about getting the powers of a deity back? Is it spontaneous? Is it a long process? What are the requirements? Also...

How are a dragon and a Griffin, two different animals (don't use the whole "their mythical animals so it doesn't matter" approach to justify things about them, because it just seems lazy) minus the demi God status thing, brother and sister? Is it actually step sister and step brother? Is it adoption? If so, which one? So many questions on those two.

I wonder if we will see Cerberus'es BROTHER (who may now be gender bent in this universe to her sister, because if I remember correctly, the real world cerberus is a dude, with rare exceptions in MODERN media where ONE head is a girl poodle, or if I remember correctly, another version that's fully a female poodle.) Who may have a new role, maybe not as big, but has some level of authority and may step in. Or we may get the chimera lady, as she looks like a demi goddess, being that in greek mythos the chimera is ALSO a sibling of Cerberus, and Cerberus has ALOT of siblings that are famous. I wonder if this demi God steps in to deal with marron. I know it will most likely not happen, but I want more demi God shenanigans, again!! But hopefully with less of a cosmic level threat involved.

Also, anyone wanna take bets on whether or not Thomas will go full on native with Sophia? I heard it's the trendiest thing right now...:roll: ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

By the way...

If any of y'all haven't seen Office Space, go out and rent/netflix/youtube/amazon it now.
fenrirblack wrote:It had to be Henry Milton. He was the only one who we know had contact with Pete. It would explain his weird fascination with animal equality, the ferrets, and why he chose to become a ferret in heaven.
Except that the gold is the missing Milton money: Henry gave it to Pete on the condition that no human hands ever touched it. He was already engaged with Pete and working on uplifting animals before the gold existed.
ZAR22 wrote:How long do foxes live?
Sabrina's essay on the wild coyotes suggests HP!verse small carnivores live up to 40 years in civilization.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

I haven't been keeping up with the forums, so please forgive me if this has been stated or answered before:

I think that Stewart is behind Marion's transformation somehow. He had that one gold coin from the temple and unless the curse came undone when the temple did (it's possible but it seems unlikely, we know that the gargoyles are still active even if they pretend to be statues) then presumably the treasure is still cursed.

Magic in HP is a bit flaky at times, but we've seen at least once before how magic can last pretty long on golden treasure with poor Teoxihuitl. We don't know (yet) if the cursed gold will remain always cursed or not, but since Stewart is already transformed, it's not like it's going to be affecting him. It also wouldn't affect anyone around him since they're also all non-human animals.

The way he looked at that gold, I think he had something in mind. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's planning to alter humans into non-humans as a way of either getting back at the Miltons or of forcing equality (if enough humans get turned into animals there will be demands for equal rights and treatment).

The real issue is that there seems to be no way for Marion to have touched that coin (or any of the treasure). I'm pretty sure he'd have remembered that. And if, somehow, Stewart is messing with magic it'd be more likely he'd try to become human again. On the other side, magic here is still pretty ill-defined. We don't know how a transformation spell might work or if there's some kind of weird connection that we just don't know about yet.

Here's another thing to consider: the ferrets knew the treasure was cursed, which is why they didn't use it. How did they know? When did they find out? Do they know because of their father leaving a journal or similar? Or do they know because they saw someone transform after touching it? Also, how many others know? Is there more treasure out there? Is Pete or Dragon behind this somehow?
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:Except that the gold is the missing Milton money: Henry gave it to Pete on the condition that no human hands ever touched it. He was already engaged with Pete and working on uplifting animals before the gold existed.
Hrm, that does sound familiar. That would mean the curse is relatively new, and there is someone walking around out there that either is stuck as an animal having been unable to decipher the scroll or is a human who spent some time as an animal.

Still has some interesting possibilities Though I'm sure what we're going to find out is very different and equally insane.

Champion Wallace wrote:First, Forks, WA gets more rain then Seattle. Second, the place where the sun don't shine is actually Mayfield, Nebraska.

Oh, I know. I live a bit north of Seattle. But we get sufficiently little sun this time of year that it applies. 8-)
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:That would mean the curse is relatively new, and there is someone walking around out there that either is stuck as an animal having been unable to decipher the scroll or is a human who spent some time as an animal.
I don't know how much importance to give to details like this. If that's Henry's gold, then it hasn't been around long enough for the scrolls to become fragile, so Pete made them that way. Which would make sense if he wants to make sure that he's satisfying Henry's intent, he's got to make them useless. But anyway, that makes the fragile scrolls part of Pete's stage setting so it's as likely as not the broken jar is part of that as well.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:That would mean the curse is relatively new, and there is someone walking around out there that either is stuck as an animal having been unable to decipher the scroll or is a human who spent some time as an animal.
I don't know how much importance to give to details like this. If that's Henry's gold, then it hasn't been around long enough for the scrolls to become fragile, so Pete made them that way. Which would make sense if he wants to make sure that he's satisfying Henry's intent, he's got to make them useless. But anyway, that makes the fragile scrolls part of Pete's stage setting so it's as likely as not the broken jar is part of that as well.

You're right, of course. It could easily have been an artistic flourish on the part of Pete (and naturally, the artist who is the real deity in this setting) with no intention of it ever being important. I recall noticing at the time the scrolls were pointed out to Thomas thinking that this had happened before since the jar was open and the scrolls scattered. I just hadn't remembered that the gold was recent. I'd assumed that it was ancient.

None of this may be important. Or all of it. But it's interesting to speculate on what might be if this is all relatively new. That and how it might tie back to the current story line.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

ZAR22 wrote:Speaking of animals that were once something else....

How long do foxes live? Will Pete and dragon ALWAYS reincarnate together as siblings for atleast 8 to 9 more respawnings as animals? Or is there a chance they may reincarnate as non related people, and, of the great kitsune is willing to go very messed, have them become lovers in one live time to basically emotionally, psychologically, morally, and physically scar them? I hope not, because that would be a really low blow, and I hope some divine intervention keeps that from happening.
I believe that Kitsune said a full mortal lifetime, no sign of plural. It's been stated that an animal in this universe with proper care can on average live to 40. Wild animals significantly less, so I imagine things will get worked out to allow them to reach 60. Remember, human lifespans last I checked average at 80, but living longer is definitely possible. As to that second part here, let's not entertain that thought.
ZAR22 wrote:Would they even be Pete and dragon(seriously wished she had a actual name, I mean, why is the Griffin the ONLY demi god with a name? This feels complicated, especially with dragon, as we have seen atleast ONE other dragon make a appearance, so this could be very confusing.) Be considered those beings anymore? Even if they get their memory back, they have long lost their divine status, and how does one go about getting the powers of a deity back? Is it spontaneous? Is it a long process? What are the requirements? Also...
Guess it depends on what you consider their identity. They'll probably get their powers and status back as soon as their mortal times are up. Also remember, "Pete" isn't his name. Seems to be a nickname for mortals to actually pronounce. His real name was partially visible back in the Dog Days of Summer arc, and attempting to spell "Pete" in one of the traps in the temple caused an immediate failure.
ZAR22 wrote:How are a dragon and a Griffin, two different animals (don't use the whole "their mythical animals so it doesn't matter" approach to justify things about them, because it just seems lazy) minus the demi God status thing, brother and sister? Is it actually step sister and step brother? Is it adoption? If so, which one? So many questions on those two.
Welp, guess you're gonna have to settle for the "lazy" option. Remember, Pete and Cerberus were confirmed dating for a long while.
ZAR22 wrote:I wonder if we will see Cerberus'es BROTHER (who may now be gender bent in this universe to her sister, because if I remember correctly, the real world cerberus is a dude, with rare exceptions in MODERN media where ONE head is a girl poodle, or if I remember correctly, another version that's fully a female poodle.) Who may have a new role, maybe not as big, but has some level of authority and may step in. Or we may get the chimera lady, as she looks like a demi goddess, being that in greek mythos the chimera is ALSO a sibling of Cerberus, and Cerberus has ALOT of siblings that are famous. I wonder if this demi God steps in to deal with marron. I know it will most likely not happen, but I want more demi God shenanigans, again!! But hopefully with less of a cosmic level threat involved.
Heh, I recall proposing that Orthrus was now in Cerberus' old job as gatekeeper of Hell.
ZAR22 wrote:Also, anyone wanna take bets on whether or not Thomas will go full on native with Sophia? I heard it's the trendiest thing right now...:roll: ;)
Right now, probably not. He's obviously trying to retain his humanity.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Argent wrote:
Pete does have a flourish for creative prop management...
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

ZAR22 wrote:How are a dragon and a Griffin, two different animals (don't use the whole "their mythical animals so it doesn't matter" approach to justify things about them, because it just seems lazy) minus the demi God status thing, brother and sister? Is it actually step sister and step brother? Is it adoption? If so, which one? So many questions on those two.

I wonder if we will see Cerberus'es BROTHER (who may now be gender bent in this universe to her sister, because if I remember correctly, the real world cerberus is a dude, with rare exceptions in MODERN media where ONE head is a girl poodle, or if I remember correctly, another version that's fully a female poodle.) Who may have a new role, maybe not as big, but has some level of authority and may step in. Or we may get the chimera lady, as she looks like a demi goddess, being that in greek mythos the chimera is ALSO a sibling of Cerberus, and Cerberus has ALOT of siblings that are famous. I wonder if this demi God steps in to deal with marron. I know it will most likely not happen, but I want more demi God shenanigans, again!! But hopefully with less of a cosmic level threat involved.

Also, anyone wanna take bets on whether or not Thomas will go full on native with Sophia? I heard it's the trendiest thing right now...:roll: ;)
Easiest answer? Gods are born from other creation ~ as in, they could've been born from Big Bang, wished, believed in existing or some other out of existent method with Pete and Dragon being either being on the low on the pecking order or were the birth of such a crazy event. They aren't mortal (well, now at least), afterall :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Champion Wallace

ZAR22 wrote:Would they even be Pete and dragon(seriously wished she had a actual name, I mean, why is the Griffin the ONLY demi god with a name? This feels complicated, especially with dragon, as we have seen atleast ONE other dragon make a appearance, so this could be very confusing.) Be considered those beings anymore? Even if they get their memory back, they have long lost their divine status, and how does one go about getting the powers of a deity back? Is it spontaneous? Is it a long process? What are the requirements?
What do you mean "get their memory back"? They never lost their memories.
It's not the most likely, but one interpretation is they weren't literal brother and sister (and possibly not even step siblings or by adoption) until they incarnated at which point they became brother and sister because at that point they shared the same mother, Kix.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:
ZAR22 wrote:Would they even be Pete and dragon(seriously wished she had a actual name, I mean, why is the Griffin the ONLY demi god with a name? This feels complicated, especially with dragon, as we have seen atleast ONE other dragon make a appearance, so this could be very confusing.) Be considered those beings anymore? Even if they get their memory back, they have long lost their divine status, and how does one go about getting the powers of a deity back? Is it spontaneous? Is it a long process? What are the requirements?
What do you mean "get their memory back"? They never lost their memories.
There has been some thought that they are losing some of their memories as they get a bit older. The few snippets that we've seen have shown that Pete (now Craig) remembers that he knew a lot more than he does, but can't remember enough to use a Frisbee now. Presumably, when they die they'll regain access to those memories and abilities again.

Champion Wallace wrote:
It's not the most likely, but one interpretation is they weren't literal brother and sister (and possibly not even step siblings or by adoption) until they incarnated at which point they became brother and sister because at that point they shared the same mother, Kix.
Dragon called herself Petes big sister just before they were sent to be incarnated. There seems to be a family relationship there. I suspect that the concepts are slightly different for the Celestials.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Mythology is full of characters and siblings who are vastly different and still technically siblings by birth. I used the example of Fenrir (a wolf) before whose siblings are Hel, the goddess of death, and Jörmungandr, the World Serpent. There are subtle clues within the comic that justify the logic that they were in fact siblings before being incarnated. So the fact that they are "gods' isn't much of a justification but when you have otherworldly powers and can do whatever you want, it is well within the realm of possibility that two offspring can become vastly different from both the parent and each other. I don't know enough about Egyptian Mythology but I'm sure that there are several interpretations where this is also the case. Native American mythology as well. You want a Greek example. Cerberus and Orthrus was the offspring of Typhon and Echidna.
This one always seemed odd until you take into account that they are actually siblings.
Then they flat out admit it.
King says it. This is notable because why would he know that if it wasn't true. Why would Rick have King phrase it like that if it wasn't true.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So I am guessing that somewhere after the game when Kitsune was giving King the choice to stay as King or return back to Joel and live a life of luxury and wealth was when King must have found out that the two were brother and sister because I don't remember it being said outright to anybody else and we only found out because of that scene before they were reincarnated.
Champion Wallace

The text of doesn't mean that Spirit Dragon was Pete’s sister before incarnating, though I forgot King’s Line in Well When You Say It Like That. Now that I’m thinking about it more, Dayzee brings up a good point. How did King learn they were brother and sister?
ZAR22 wrote:Would they even be Pete and dragon(seriously wished she had a actual name, I mean, why is the Griffin the ONLY demi god with a name? This feels complicated, especially with dragon, as we have seen atleast ONE other dragon make a appearance, so this could be very confusing.)
First of all, she is distinct from other dragons because her name is Spirit Dragon. Secondly, with Cerberus and Bahament, about half of the known celestials have real names.
dr_eirik wrote:There has been some thought that they are losing some of their memories as they get a bit older. The few snippets that we've seen have shown that Pete (now Craig) remembers that he knew a lot more than he does, but can't remember enough to use a Frisbee now. Presumably, when they die they'll regain access to those memories and abilities again..
Sorry. I though they meant Pete and Dragon forgot who they were, like an amnesia plot device.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wasn't it mentioned that they're abilities and mentality were normally infinite outside of imposed game limitations? If so, good luck being a mortal and understanding infinite.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Mythology is full of characters and siblings who are vastly different and still technically siblings by birth. I used the example of Fenrir (a wolf) before whose siblings are Hel, the goddess of death, and Jörmungandr, the World Serpent.
Loki and his/her kids are kind of an edge case.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Four kids by four different women and species at that? Loki for being the God of Mischief sure did get around a lot. LOL
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Four kids by four different women and species at that? Loki for being the God of Mischief sure did get around a lot. LOL
No, it was the same woman or giantess if you prefer. Angrboða gave birth to all three. He did transform into female horse to mate with a different horse one time but we don't talk about that.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Right. I forgot that since we are talking about Gods, most likely full siblings will end up being different species but since my mind thinks everything is put together like a fictional drama, I end up thinking everybody are half-siblings instead of full-siblings. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Mythology is full of characters and siblings who are vastly different and still technically siblings by birth. I used the example of Fenrir (a wolf) before whose siblings are Hel, the goddess of death, and Jörmungandr, the World Serpent.
Loki and his/her kids are kind of an edge case.

Nice find, this pix.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Four kids by four different women and species at that? Loki for being the God of Mischief sure did get around a lot. LOL
No, it was the same woman or giantess if you prefer. Angrboða gave birth to all three. He did transform into female horse to mate with a different horse one time but we don't talk about that.
Oh but Sleijpnir is so cute! Also it was the rest of Asgard that came out looking really petty and vindictive that time, and they should have let Loki win everything forever for pulling their tails out of the fire.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That would constitute being "mischievous"...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The children that Fenrir was talking about in the above post all have the same mother but he does have four other kids by others in the story also.

Sleipnir is the oldest where Loki is his mother and Svaðilfari is his father. The rest of Loki's children are his maternal half-siblings.

Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel are all mothered by Angrboða. Angrboða was his mistress and not his wife.

Fenrir is the father of Hati Hróðvitnisson and Sköll by Hyrrokkin.

With his wife Sigyn, Loki has Narfi and Váli.

So Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel are full-siblings to each other but paternal half-siblings to Narfi and Váli

Narfi and Váli are full-siblings to each other but half-brothers to Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel.

Both Angrboða and Sigyn's children are paternal half-siblings to Sleipnir.

So even if he didn't knock up four different women, he has children by three other Gods. Just like a soap opera. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:The children that Fenrir was talking about in the above post all have the same mother but he does have four other kids by others in the story also.

Sleipnir is the oldest where Loki is his mother and Svaðilfari is his father. The rest of Loki's children are his maternal half-siblings.

Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel are all mothered by Angrboða. Angrboða was his mistress and not his wife.

Fenrir is the father of Hati Hróðvitnisson and Sköll by Hyrrokkin.

With his wife Sigyn, Loki has Narfi and Váli.

So Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel are full-siblings to each other but paternal half-siblings to Narfi and Váli

Narfi and Váli are full-siblings to each other but half-brothers to Fenrir, Jörmungandr and Hel.

Both Angrboða and Sigyn's children are paternal half-siblings to Sleipnir.

So even if he didn't knock up four different women, he has children by three other Gods. Just like a soap opera. :lol:
Until the modern era, family trees were treated as political blueprints for human rulers and their gods. The assumption was bloodlines conferred legitimacy since one of the primary socio-political factors of rule was "Those who write and impose the laws are above the laws they compel the rest of us to obey." Just like now. So, of course, such exalted people must establish their categorical superiority over the rest of our kind and genealogical purity served as one pillar in the power structure. Also like soap operas.
Champion Wallace

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Oh but Sleijpnir is so cute!
Depends on your rendition.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Pretty sure after seeing that I'm gonna have nightmares about it for the next week. Thanks for that!

XD
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:No, it was the same woman or giantess if you prefer. Angrboða gave birth to all three. He did transform into female horse to mate with a different horse one time but we don't talk about that.
Oh but Sleijpnir is so cute!
Depends on your rendition.
This is one of my avatars in Second Life, so I'm fine with that.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I think it's cute :D