2019/11/11 - Technical Difficulties

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/11/11 - Technical Difficulties

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:Never really realized how tiny Marion really is...it's kind of cute, actually :lol:

On the other comparative hand, Lois as a Bobcat is a very, very BIG Bobcat!! She's Poncho's size, almost Gale's. In the natural world, at least in North America, bobcats aren't that big.
Or maybe they are. This is Rick's World, after all.
Actually Lois should be the proper height for a bobcat. Poncho is shorter than the other wolves. Miles is huge and taller than Jack and Poncho is a good foot shorter than him. Aside from the cubs, Poncho is the shortest wolf. BTW Gale is taller than all the wolves.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

She should be, I know a couple of r/l mountain lions and they're huge.
A little shorter than wolves at the shoulder maybe, but they more than make up for it in length.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm honestly a bit confused when it comes to Lois not being able to touch the pedals of her car. Human Lois is only a few inches taller than Bobcat Lois so I'm thinking that her feet should just BARELY touch the pedals.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Human Lois is only a few inches taller than Bobcat Lois...
That isn't in keeping with how Lois's stature is depicted in the comics so far.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe its because I haven't seen them side by side but I thought for sure that Bobcat Lois wasn't that shorter in her human form. Oh well. Guess I'm wrong.

Next question: what kind of car does Lois drive? I have already established that Marion drives a 1988 to 1996 Buick Regal. :mrgreen:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Dissension wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Human Lois is only a few inches taller than Bobcat Lois...
That isn't in keeping with how Lois's stature is depicted in the comics so far.
Yeah, she's at least a foot or more shorter now. When you see her here:

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... your-eyes/

Ponchos eyeline is right at the base of her neck. When you see her post-Bobcatting:

https://www.housepetscomic.com/

Her eyeline is almost even, but perhaps about an inch lower than his now. So I'd assume that she's lost at least a foot in height, maybe 18 inches. I would think that, based on how she looks in that car seat, she's about 4 foot tall now.

Still way better off than Marion, but she'll need hand controls on her car. Also, a booster seat.

Edited to add:

Just a thought I'm not sure has come up, but does Poncho appear at her door simply because he wants to be nice and help her out on a bad day, or is it because he wants to know now if he's been an unwitting participant in the craziness? When I first saw this I thought it was just him being nice but I think what Lois said got to him.

If this does turn out to be a plot started up by Keene, I think he'll have a rather serious problem with an angry bobcat and a wolf. Possibly other wolves if they were duped as well. For that matter, would Breel forgive him for doing something like this?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Keene IS responsible for this then there is no coming back from it and he'll be in major trouble with Breel being the least of his worries. He'll have a bobcat, possibly a mountain lion and a whole wolf pack baying for his blood.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Keene IS responsible for this then there is no coming back from it and he'll be in major trouble with Breel being the least of his worries. He'll have a bobcat, possibly a mountain lion and a whole wolf pack baying for his blood.
Not to mention Kitsune...sheesh, you'd think Keene opened Pandora's Box.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Keene IS responsible for this then there is no coming back from it and he'll be in major trouble with Breel being the least of his worries. He'll have a bobcat, possibly a mountain lion and a whole wolf pack baying for his blood.
And a squirrel with one painful bite.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here's a dumb question but needs to be asked: What happened to the stuff in Lois's pockets when her clothes disappeared. Notice she didn't have a purse or bag at any time so if the keys to her car were in her pocket, where did they go? Reaching the pedals would be a mute point if she can't even turn it on. The only solution I can come up with is that the keys, phone, wallet, were in her backpack and either she left it in her car, which would be dangerous, or it was inexplicably off panel the entire time.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotech_Master

Post by Robotech_Master »

I wonder who else is converging on Keene now, drawn by the news. Did Lana turn around and phone King as soon as she got off the phone with Lois? And who might he have called?

It certainly does tend to arouse suspicions…
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

fenrirblack wrote:Here's a dumb question but needs to be asked: What happened to the stuff in Lois's pockets when her clothes disappeared. Notice she didn't have a purse or bag at any time so if the keys to her car were in her pocket, where did they go? Reaching the pedals would be a mute point if she can't even turn it on. The only solution I can come up with is that the keys, phone, wallet, were in her backpack and either she left it in her car, which would be dangerous, or it was inexplicably off panel the entire time.
I don't see any keys in the ignition.

Then again I don't see the ignition.

Also, this was a question I asked a few pages back, though I was wondering where her phone was and what would happen if you tried to call it.

She had a backpack to carry Marion in as of Zoo Review, but she's not wearing it in Contemplating Life Choices, where they're both in the zoo. Maybe she put the bag down when they got to the camel enclosure.
Robotech_Master

I was wondering what happened to the bracelet that matched the one Marion was wearing as a collar, but then I saw she wasn't wearing it when she took him to the zoo. So wherever it is, it didn't get poofed.

Kind of neat how she continues using the same gesture as a bobcat that she did as a human...

Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

But oooh, other side!
Did she become a southpaw?

(Yes I'm aware it's the right hand in the second pic but that's a gesture that people would conceivably tend to do while still using their dominant arm, thus the habit of that gesture is picked up with the other arm.)
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Robotech_Master

Vertigo Fox wrote:But oooh, other side!
Did she become a southpaw?

(Yes I'm aware it's the right hand in the second pic but that's a gesture that people would conceivably tend to do while still using their dominant arm, thus the habit of that gesture is picked up with the other arm.)
She did have a glove in her other hand at the time. Here and here, she's using her right hand, while here it's her left again. Apparently she's chin-ambidextrous.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Here's a dumb question but needs to be asked: What happened to the stuff in Lois's pockets when her clothes disappeared. Notice she didn't have a purse or bag at any time so if the keys to her car were in her pocket, where did they go? Reaching the pedals would be a mute point if she can't even turn it on. The only solution I can come up with is that the keys, phone, wallet, were in her backpack and either she left it in her car, which would be dangerous, or it was inexplicably off panel the entire time.
I don't see any keys in the ignition.

Then again I don't see the ignition.

Also, this was a question I asked a few pages back, though I was wondering where her phone was and what would happen if you tried to call it.

She had a backpack to carry Marion in as of Zoo Review, but she's not wearing it in Contemplating Life Choices, where they're both in the zoo. Maybe she put the bag down when they got to the camel enclosure.
The car could have a keyless ignition, so if they are just in the car they work. Presumably, the backpack she snuck him in with is still there somewhere. If that's the case, her keys and phone could be there.

As to where they all went.. well, the only person we've ever seen turn back is Joel and he was wearing his jail jumpsuit. Perhaps the clothes end up in some ethereal space along with their extra mass. If Lois turns back she'd likely going to be dressed in her clothes. Marion... depends how he sleeps.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I remember in the book series Animorphs this question was eventually answered. The characters gained the ability to absorb DNA from other living creatures and morph into them, but there were a few issues. One, the ability to do so was initially made for an alien species that didn't wear clothes. Whenever they morphed, their clothes were left behind, so they had to strip for a while. Until they learned that wearing skin-tight clothes worked better, because then the clothes were morphed with them and reappeared when they changed back. They never did figure out how to morph shoes, though.

One book gave the answer that their human body mass was transported to a massive alternate dimension used for fast ship travel. It was then that they learned that there was the real risk of a ship colliding with their original bodies, destroying it. Thankfully never occurred to anyone of the characters, though. The most present risk was getting stuck in whatever form they're in if they stay morphed for more than two hours at a time.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Poncho is the same hight as Lois now so he won't be able to give them a ride. Is Jeeves hiding in a limo nearby?
NHWestoN wrote:...and thumbs? Nothing is ever simple anymore.
Lois still has her thumbs.
D-Rock wrote:
Vertigo Fox wrote:Maybe it only turns people into female animals, regardless of whatever they were before. Ever think about that? :D
Been thinking that lately. Maybe some sort of spell was found and someone was using it, yet it was originally for someone very specific, who happened to be female, so that's being applied to everyone else now.
If the spell was that specific I would expect Lois to be a squirrel as well. With so little information in universe at this point we can't prove or disprove your theory whatever it is only turns people into female animals. All we can say is it's incompatible with the theory they were changed with the same coin as Steward.
Sir Chestnut wrote:Unless it was explicitly stated, I don't think anyone could have told Marion is a female either, except maybe in the first panel of Treehouse of Horror.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... of-horror/
Marion doesn't look to be drawn particularly feminine in that panel, to me at least.
dr_eirik wrote:Just a thought I'm not sure has come up, but does Poncho appear at her door simply because he wants to be nice and help her out on a bad day, or is it because he wants to know now if he's been an unwitting participant in the craziness? When I first saw this I thought it was just him being nice but I think what Lois said got to him.
My first impression is Poncho was following them because even after getting told off he still feels a responsibility to keep an eye on them for Lana like he was assigned to do. In this case it's helpful.
She was able to get into her car, so her keys must exist. It follows everything else like her phone mush exist somewhere too. Unfortunately, I don't have an in universe explanation.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:Unless it was explicitly stated, I don't think anyone could have told Marion is a female either, except maybe in the first panel of Treehouse of Horror.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... of-horror/
Marion doesn't look to be drawn particularly feminine in that panel, to me at least.
Clear hourglass figure. The hips are a giveaway.
Champion Wallace

That's in the second panel, but I can see where you're going with that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking that Rick wasn't trying to give away the gender at the time so it would be more of a surprise.
Jixstun

Post by Jixstun »

While i'm still convinced that the Temple Treasure (Specifically, Steward's Coin) is responsible, a Bobcat does seem to be quite a departure from a Camel, Badger & Squirrel.

One Theory is that Location plays a part. Thomas was in a Egyptian Temple (imported, but still), Steward & Marion were both in Suburban Areas (inside buildings, but the Curse may not have cared) & Lois was in a Zoo (surrounded by exotic creatures). It's not a perfect theory, as what counts as a 'location' appears to be all over the place, but I like it.

Another theory is that it's a Karma/Personality thing. Thomas had it worst because he was directly being punished for his greed, but Steward had it lighter because Thomas gave him the coin, something no-one expected. Marion is innocent of wrongdoing & so kept her fingers (well, most of them), & Lois is a good friend, & so came out best of all by only losing a foot in height.

Neither theory seems quite right. It could just be the choice of animal is completely random, & if it is Steward & his coin, he's just hoping it all works in his favor.
Last edited by Jixstun on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Jixstun wrote:Marion is innocent of wrongdoing & so kept his fingers
;)

I actually do like that first theory, but I'm inclined to agree that random is more likely
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm thinking that Rick wasn't trying to give away the gender at the time so it would be more of a surprise.
Treehouse of Horror came after Lois told Marion he was a female squirrel.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Vertigo Fox wrote:Maybe it only turns people into female animals, regardless of whatever they were before. Ever think about that? :D
Thomas and Steward suggest otherwise.
Jixstun wrote:While i'm still convinced that the Temple Treasure (Specifically, Steward's Coin) is responsible, a Bobcat does seem to be quite a departure from a Camel, Badger & Squirrel.
Bobcats and badgers not that far off in the "don't mess with this" scale.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:
Thomas and Steward suggest otherwise.
Jixstun wrote:While i'm still convinced that the Temple Treasure (Specifically, Steward's Coin) is responsible, a Bobcat does seem to be quite a departure from a Camel, Badger & Squirrel.
Bobcats and badgers not that far off in the "don't mess with this" scale.
For the moment, you can't lump Lois and Marion with Thomas and Steward. We still don't know if there is any connection, other than some kind of magic(k) is involved. We already know that there are two ways to transform in HP, the coin or direct transformation by celestial. The circumstances of both Marion and Lois's transformation suggest that it wasn't the coin. Direct transformation is possible, but also seems unlikely since we've seen no sign of celestials yet and the ones that we know don't interact with humans this way. So it seems there is a third, yet unrevealed, way.

It's been said before, but Marion transformed, as far as we know, alone while asleep in his bedroom and has no connection with Steward, again that we know of. For the coin to have been involved there, someone would have either had to sneak it in and transform him. Then sneak it out since Marion didn't find one in his room the next morning (OK, he wasn't looking, but a shiny gold coin would stand out.)

Lois was awake, alert and standing next to an awake and alert wolf when she transformed. Marion might have also seen it happen. If someone chucked a coin at her (or as I thought might happen, Thomas spit one) then they should have seen it.

I've thought for a while that Steward was a bit of misdirection. I think that he's going to come up in a big way later, but not at the core of this mystery.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Lois is problematic since we have no idea what triggered her transformation just as with Marion. Neither of them are visibly connected with any particular talisman. Unlike Thomas and Steward, they have no history in HPWorld until Marion goes "Squirrely" and Lois much later follows. So the "curse" seems to transform through contact with an empowered object - a coin - or also to somehow free range.

What else is in the basement, Karishad?
That_FOX

Post by That_FOX »

There is one item in common with Marion, and Lois... their bracelets.
But they had those prior to their transformations. So idk.

In any case I'm still wondering if Lois is now physically male, just as Marion is
now physically female. There has been no precedent to say "a curse" or whatever, is turning
all- comers into only female animals in the HP comic thus far.
Quite the contrary, until now ( like King and many other examples) all TF has been species swap.
Not gender swap.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

NHWestoN wrote:What else is in the basement, Karishad?
You must not make inquiries any further in this direction. That way lies madness.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Nobody wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:What else is in the basement, Karishad?
You must not make inquiries any further in this direction. That way lies madness.
Yes, but it's the FUN kind of madness! 8-)
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Oh well I've already got that, so nevermind.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Maybe its because I haven't seen them side by side but I thought for sure that Bobcat Lois wasn't that shorter in her human form. Oh well. Guess I'm wrong.

Next question: what kind of car does Lois drive? I have already established that Marion drives a 1988 to 1996 Buick Regal. :mrgreen:

Hm. From the way the steering wheel is set up, it looks like a Mercedes,(my parents have one) that would also correspond with the circular symbol on the horn. It could also be a Mercury though. I'd say a sedan of some sort. No idea on the year range of the car.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

trekkie wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Maybe its because I haven't seen them side by side but I thought for sure that Bobcat Lois wasn't that shorter in her human form. Oh well. Guess I'm wrong.

Hm. From the way the steering wheel is set up, it looks like a Mercedes,(my parents have one) that would also correspond with the circular symbol on the horn. It could also be a Mercury though. I'd say a sedan of some sort. No idea on the year range of the car.
It's a bit generic, so hard to tell. From the angle, it looks a lot like the inside of my 2016 Mazda CX-5, which resembles most of the Mazda interiors at this point that I've seen across their product line. And the emblem is circular as well, or at least in a circular depression. Overall, it really kinda just looks like modern, generic "Car".
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I forgot about Mazdas, they do have a circular logo, and owning one you’d know their interior better than me. I think you’re right about Tick just trying create a generic car. Still it is fun to speculate.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Robotech_Master

A gearhead friend of mine suggested that the lack of a key on the steering column could mean it's a Saab.

Which would make this strip Lois's own personal "Saab story". ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Robotech_Master wrote:A gearhead friend of mine suggested that the lack of a key on the steering column could mean it's a Saab.

Lack of key also could just mean push button ignition. Mine is on the dash. That's the key takeaway.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Robotech_Master wrote:A gearhead friend of mine suggested that the lack of a key on the steering column could mean it's a Saab.

Lack of key also could just mean push button ignition. Mine is on the dash. That's the key takeaway.
Either way she's still not starting it without something. How she got in, she could have left it unlocked but seems risky for someone who is as smart as she is even in a "safe" area which a public zoo isn't.
On another note, if she was truly desperate she could hot wire it. "Poncho, hand me your phone. I'm going to Google how to hot wire my car since my keys have inexplicably vanished."
Champion Wallace

Even if starting the car is a problem, there is still the issue of her being able to see the road and reach the peddles that must be overcome for her to be able to drive.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Champion Wallace wrote:Even if starting the car is a problem, there is still the issue of her being able to see the road and reach the peddles that must be overcome for her to be able to drive.
Technically she could drive in a near standing position. I think that would put her eyeline over the dash and her feet on the pedals. Downsides are no back support and no seat belt. But then, Marion didn't get a seat belt either.
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:For the moment, you can't lump Lois and Marion with Thomas and Steward.
Setting aside Occam's Razor and Chekhov's Gun, you STILL can't use "bobcats are special because GRRR dangerous predator or something" as an argument against it. Badgers are not to be messed with.

Same goes for anyone's gender.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @