Cast Off Characters - Who will not return in the New Housepets?

Discuss the comic here
Harry Johnathan

Re: Cast Off Characters - Who will not return in the New Housepets?

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:33 pm That does sound like something that could feasibly happen and everybody tries to write it off. It would be incredibly horrifying and lead to disturbing truths that are really uncomfortable. :?
Oh come on now, Rick would never pull something like that.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That would be a pretty wrenching turn to the dark side. Would that mean that Itzuki gets Earl's garage?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Earl dies and Itsuki inherits the garage only for him to decide the US is WAAAY too insane and that he is going back to Japan and enrolling in college to become what he has always dreamed of being: a tour guide. :mrgreen:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I think we missed the Farewell Tour for Fidler and Keys ... and the Hermit has limed his last limerick.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Now, on the other hand, we might see the "gamesters" Lester, Dallas, and Joey return ... Squeak, I dunno.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Rick decides to keep Bino in the comic (and I think he will as they need someone in the antagonist role) then they will have to bring up Joey and Fido at some points because it would be a glaring oversight NOT to mention his biological brothers (and Fido is also his pet-cousin)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Joey's kinda tricky, being essentially a two-trick pony. He has the cat-suit thing and he has the relationship with Squeak. The "cat-suit" joke ran its limited course pretty early in the comic and would be awkward to revive. It's more peculiar than funny. The Squeak character is more than just a counterpoint to the ultra-introverted Joey. She's abraisive, shrewish, and a bit of a bully. Oh, and a mouse ... which is, I guess, a further elaboration of the dog obsessed with cats joke. To move beyond the "gamesters", Joey'd need some depth development ... which Rick is more than capable of doing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He wouldn't need that much depth to work in the reboot when we see it. Just a few scenes of him here and there and sometimes annoying Bino. He could be what Marvin is now: a bit character who can be used to make up the numbers.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Int'resting thoughts as always, Amazz. Dallas seemed to have developed a small fan base for a while, bigger than Daisy's anyways. Rick doesn't seem to care about that, though. Lester's really kind of a Bino clone. And Joey ... well, guess we'll see.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When both Lester and Dallas were introduced I noticed that they were described as "Joey's creepy friends" who were into a lot of the stuff Joey was into but way worse. Since Dallas seems to have a fanbase now I wonder if they need to show how much worse Joey could possibly be they will show Lester and show the bad habits he has that Joey doesn't.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The "Temple-Crashers-2" arc gave the gaming foursome an opportunity to step out of third-banana status, and they actually performed well until Karashad derailed Dallas. Even then, Dallas sort of became a hero, gettin the elevator down to rescue the whole mob. Since then, they shrank back into shadows off-stage and were eclipsed by newer creations ("Temp-two" also seems to have been an apogee for Res's "star-power"). It's Rick's world, so we'll see but I don't see a road back for the gamesters. Res, on the otherhand, might make a sudden come-back from Canada but he'd need a different schtick from the aura and agony of authorship for Pridelands.

For that matter, the "Good Ol' Dogs" Club might return, maybe even "Spot", but Pridelands is off to the Babylon Gardens landfill. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:45 pm When both Lester and Dallas were introduced I noticed that they were described as "Joey's creepy friends" who were into a lot of the stuff Joey was into but way worse. Since Dallas seems to have a fanbase now I wonder if they need to show how much worse Joey could possibly be they will show Lester and show the bad habits he has that Joey doesn't.
Yeah, Dallas had kind of a naive charm and several of our members took quite a shine to him. I think he even featured in a couple of fan fics. His character seemed to have some depth beyond being a foil to Lester's cranky D&D purism.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since Dallas is the more likable one out of the two and Lester is a lot more grumpy and unapproachable watch as we learn it is INDEED Dallas who has a worse habit that is just horrifying and Lester being the more normal one. I don't think anybody would be able to resist that twist but it would be up to Rick if he includes the two in the reboot.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not sure how many fans Dallas has, but they are passionate (one member event wrote a fanfic where he was dating the dalmation). It could get ugly. Which might be fun. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly have NEVER heard of that fanfic or seen it at all in all my time on the forum. I need you to link it to me so I can read it and judge what quality it is for myself.