Old Comic Discussion: "Imaginate" to "Imaginate, too!"

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Thoth

Re: current comic

Post by Thoth »

machchunk wrote:Ok, so how many of those people have as much characterization as the villains?
At the moment, the Sandwiches are far far ahead of any of the villains as far as characterization goes, Joel - as pointed out earlier, hardly a villain - is either next up or tied, and then we have Bill.

At the moment, the villians don't have much if any more than most of the bit part characters; they want money, the woman is brighter and more practical, the man is a bit impulsive, and neither of them is much good at investing or they'd be down instead of "at zero".
machchunk wrote:The main characters in this case aren't really protagonists, they are just the characters the comic revolves around.
Uhm... Protagonist: "The leading character or actor in a play, novel, or story, about whom the action centers". Websters. The only definition given.

I suspect that you're associating "protagonist" with "hero", which really isn't part of the definition.
machchunk wrote:There's nothing stopping Rick from creating bad animals, and nothing stopping him from creating good humans.
Yep. We've had already rabble-rousing mice, we've got Bino - who may not be terribly competent, but certainly has malice - and we've had good and bad humans.

I'm afraid that I can't tell what you're driving at; the observations that the comic centers on it's primary characters and that new characters are only defined as they are introduced both seem like tautologies.
But over-analyzing things is half the fun!

Character Dossiers
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Thoth wrote: At the moment, the Sandwiches are far far ahead of any of the villains as far as characterization goes, Joel - as pointed out earlier, hardly a villain - is either next up or tied, and then we have Bill.

At the moment, the villians don't have much if any more than most of the bit part characters; they want money, the woman is brighter and more practical, the man is a bit impulsive, and neither of them is much good at investing or they'd be down instead of "at zero".
It sounds like you think of characterization differently than I do, then. I think of characterization as, how much can these characters stand apart from the other characters. The two latest additions to the cast - they probably could very well. Joel - definitely, and he already is. The fat guy - he's almost there, but he's not that important of a character and he's already been whisked away for a while, so we'll give that a pass. Most of the humans in the central neighborhood - I'd say no, because they only exist in relation to their animals.
Thoth wrote:Uhm... Protagonist: "The leading character or actor in a play, novel, or story, about whom the action centers". Websters. The only definition given.

I suspect that you're associating "protagonist" with "hero", which really isn't part of the definition.
If you're taking the text there to its most literal meaning, yes. You have to keep its connotation in mind - it's generally positive.
Thoth wrote:Yep. We've had already rabble-rousing mice, we've got Bino - who may not be terribly competent, but certainly has malice - and we've had good and bad humans.
Bino isn't a bad person. He's not immoral, as far as I can tell, and he cares about others. He's just at times overzealous, and he's very sensitive to what he perceives to be claims to his authority.

I'll give you the mice - so that's one animal villain to three (four if Joel is counted although I know you won't) human villains. I'm just saying the way alignments are handled might produce controversy if they aren't changed.
Thoth wrote:I'm afraid that I can't tell what you're driving at; the observations that the comic centers on it's primary characters and that new characters are only defined as they are introduced both seem like tautologies.
The comment that I made first was that - as I said above - I think the way alignments are handled should be changed. Now I'm also saying that it is not impossible to make the change in a comic about animals, and making it would not ruin the story, as you seem to think. I said the things you contest in this quote so you might figure out that I think what you said is silly, but you didn't see that and argued the literal terms - just like you did my original post.
ndigit

Post by ndigit »

machchunk wrote:Bino isn't a bad person. He's not immoral, as far as I can tell, and he cares about others. He's just at times overzealous, and he's very sensitive to what he perceives to be claims to his authority.

I'll give you the mice - so that's one animal villain to three (four if Joel is counted although I know you won't) human villains. I'm just saying the way alignments are handled might produce controversy if they aren't changed.
Now, just going to point this out now I don't mean to gang up with thoth on you, but I'm just gonna throw this out there. There really aren't any real 'villains' in this comic. The term is simply too narrow for the purposes of this particular story. Here's what I think: A villain purposely antagonizes the main characters for personal gain, or to fulfill something he truly believes in. SO.

The mice- Probably extremely close to what a villain is but they were never seen again so are simply minor.

Joel- Again, really close but he still is an animal lover at heart, so he still feels for these pets and is now friendly with them.

Fat PETA dude- He probably is the ONLY one in this comic that actually counts as a villain.

Sasha's owner-A jerk definitely but not really a villain.

Pete- Again, a jerk, but a jerk with reasonable purpose. Somewhat.

Ungrateful Relatives- Can't really say just yet but really they haven't done anything wrong. Yet. Honestly I feel for them. Here you have this disgustingly rich uncle who doesn't give you bupkis and and he gives 15 billion dollars to a bunch of crazy ferrets? I'd want to try and fight for a fair share too!
This world simply requires "ctrl+z"
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

You're right, the term 'villain' is a bit harsh. Let's just say they're 'unsavory characters'. :>
Thoth

Post by Thoth »

machchunk wrote:It sounds like you think of characterization differently than I do, then. I think of characterization as, how much can these characters stand apart from the other characters
Evidently you're defining "Characterization" as "difference from the norm" not "having a personality, motivations, and background". I must admit, that is different.

Of course, by that standard, Mr Milton has more characterization than anyone else in the comic: he's dead (different from everyone except Karl Lenin Marx), Human (different from a majority of the characters), has never appeared or spoken (different from all the other named characters), was extremely rich (different from everyone but the ferrets; even his relatives obviously were not wealthy on his scale), was apparently old (different from every character so far except, possibly, Rufus), owned six pet ferrets (more pets than anyone else and of a different type), had a different-from-the-norm attitude towards animals, lived in a much larger house than all the other characters... I could go on for some time.
machchunk wrote:If you're taking the text there to its most literal meaning, yes. You have to keep its connotation in mind - it's generally positive.
I'm afraid I can't agree; that's why have multiple words and phrases - protagonists, antagonists, heroes, villains, secondary characters, comic relief, and many more. There are an enormous number of protagonists who are in no way positive figures, thus "Antiheroes". Connotations are invariably personal, and differ from individual to individual - which is why they are of little use in communication.
machchunk wrote:Bino isn't a bad person. He's not immoral, as far as I can tell, and he cares about others. He's just at times overzealous, and he's very sensitive to what he perceives to be claims to his authority.
As for Bino... Lets see; we have involving Peanut in the Game (an action that can offers no actual benefit to Peanut OR to Bino, but which could cause emotional harm), harassing Tiger (the fact that many other dogs do it is not an excuse), plotting against Peanut (who hadn't done anything, but was apparently an easier target) when it was Fido who overrode his authority to readmit peanut to the Good Ol Dogs Club, his own statement that his plan was mean-spirited, his refusal to help search for Zachary when it is fairly obvious that an inexperienced rabbit out on his own is in serious danger, and his giving King an explosive "present" with the rationale that a factor King had no control over - what Pete had named him - had offended him (this, by the way, falls under the usual definition of "hate crime").

I'd count his tirade about Fido as a product of simple jealousy. Similarly, despite Fox's complaint about him using and discarding "every one of us", there was no actual harm done to anyone else in that instance, and thus no real offense.

Now, I find Bino quite understandable, and not particularly unsympathetic. This does not change the fact that he has intentionally and with forethought inflicted harm on others who have not harmed him and has taken satisfaction in doing so. That fits the definition of malice. Whether that makes him a "bad person" is a value judgement that is inevitably going to be based on personal standards, although we can probably agree that it constitutes misbehavior at the least.
machchunk wrote:The comment that I made first was that - as I said above - I think the way alignments are handled should be changed.
Now "alignment" wasn't actually mentioned in the post sequence to which I am replying (it may have been mentioned earlier, but I don't recall it) before. From context, I suspect you're using it as it's used in various role-playing games. I'd have to say that this strip has personalities, not alignments, and most of the characters will have both good and bad features. Thus, for example, while most of the readers would say that Peanut is a "good person", he still took pleasure in Bino being injured - not a particularly "good" moment.
machchunk wrote:Now I'm also saying that it is not impossible to make the change in a comic about animals, and making it would not ruin the story, as you seem to think.
"Ruining the story" was not mentioned anywhere. That's your own interpolation. Since I don't hold such a position, I'm afraid that I would have to classify it as a "Straw Man" argument.
machchunk wrote:but you didn't see that and argued the literal terms - just like you did my original post.
As for "arguing the literal terms", I - like most people - can read only what was actually written, not what you meant it to mean. If you wish to use modified definitions of words without noting both that fact and the changes you are introducing, then you are likely to be misunderstood.
machchunk wrote:I said the things you contest in this quote so you might figure out that I think what you said is silly
Unfortunately, the statement you quoted does not contest anything. It's an observation of personal perplexity. You do have another tautology there though: I stated that I could not see what you meant, and you've stated that I didn't see what you meant. I suppose that means that we at agree on something.
But over-analyzing things is half the fun!

Character Dossiers
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Thoth, machchunk, your discussion has turned into an argument, and I can only see it going downhill. So it ends now, okay?

As for the actual comic, I wonder what state looks like a bunny?

Heh, looks like Simon is the loose-lipped one of the ferrets, or at least the one that likes to be in the limelight the most!
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The bunny-shape could refer to anything, I guess, maybe even Nova Scotia (though its bunny-shapedness is, I understand, a topic of contention).

Simon is, I think, the kind of individual who wants to keep secrets, but likes the satisfaction he receives from sharing that information with one or two others (It can't hurt!). It can be quite addicting, I understand.
Last edited by Dissension on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Thoth wrote:words
machchunk types a long post, but before the final three quotes can be replied to, realizes none of these words will do him any good, and takes a stand

"Oh god, this post is massive and it's about practically nothing. See what you did? You've created an argument that literally has nothing to do with the suggestion I originally posed. If you don't have an opinion on it, then please, please, PLEASE don't reply to this in any way, shape or fashion! For the good of all of us?"

Also, I don't think it's a state the alt text is referring to.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

you fools

Zach is the chosen one

he is also a bunny
ImageImage
ImageImage
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Stop the fighting or there will be blood.
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

Foxstar wrote:Stop the fighting or there will be blood.

on topic, does anyone think that the way simon is sitting in panel 1 is overwhelmingly cute?
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Alex

Post by Alex »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:on topic, does anyone think that the way simon is sitting in panel 1 is overwhelmingly cute?
I do!

Also, those ungrateful relatives really have it hard.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

trapped in the editing send help&;

being tied to radiator by mice :o
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

I would have done the same thing, I would have flown...only because I fly free :P
And there is the money...
Make Pasta not war.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's obvious at this point they aren't REALLY going after the map, but something far more crafty!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Jack

Post by Jack »

A storm is brewing...

WHERE ARE PEANUT AND GRAPE!!
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Liam

Post by Liam »

In another arc. : D
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

GameCobra wrote:It's obvious at this point they aren't REALLY going after the map, but something far more crafty!
And let me guess: only Peanut, the bumbling detective, can stop them, right?
Seriously, just imagine Peanut with a french accent and a mustache
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
cooljoe224

Post by cooljoe224 »

It still ponders me why villans have to read blueprints in darkness.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Liam wrote:In another arc. : D
*twitch* *twitch*
F**K!!!
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Arcs without Grape and Peanut make me sad...But the good side is that we get an interesting story that Almost everyone can enjoy!
Make Pasta not war.
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Jack wrote:
*twitch* *twitch*
F**K!!!
hehehehe...
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Liam

Post by Liam »

cooljoe224 wrote:It still ponders me why villans have to read blueprints in darkness.
To get the right atmosphere?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Jack

Post by Jack »

i guess so. or maybe its because... *thinks* nope, really can't think of anything. tis' truly a mystery!
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

that disguise sucks
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

your disguise sucks sinder
that's right, i can see you there
i bet you're the butler
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I don't get it. Why did Pit let him walk in?
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube

Combine that with a literal ballroom, and consider that the ferrets would consider this awesome super fun ++ and you have the answer
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Somehow, I get a picture of a giant hamster cage deal from this. Except with balls flying everywhere and much less physical effort to get from place to place.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Jack

Post by Jack »

i would love to get in to their ballroom.
The Game

Post by The Game »

I am soooo with you there Jack
ya mind if I call you Jacky? Ok good. :D
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

You know, If I ask my little brother how he would design a fun room (or in this case rooms)...It would be chaotic...
Make Pasta not war.
Jack

Post by Jack »

go ahead. call me Jacky. make my day.
just kiddin'. ya you can call me Jacky. its kinda cute!

*thinks* i can see how a little brother is like a ferret.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Jack wrote:go ahead. call me Jacky. make my day.

Jacky? I can call you that, but be warned...If I say it long enough I may screw up and say Jackie Chan.

And yes, they get into everything...and SUDDENLY EVERYTHING IS A TOY!
Make Pasta not war.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dylan wrote:

Jacky? I can call you that, but be warned...If I say it long enough I may screw up and say Jackie Chan.

totally! i mean, i remember when i went outside while being a child and then i saw a rock and played golf with it! I PLAYED WITH A FREAKING ROCK!!!
The Game

Post by The Game »

Jack wrote:
Dylan wrote:

totally! i mean, i remember when i went outside while being a child and then i saw a rock and played golf with it! I PLAYED WITH A FREAKING ROCK!!!
Ha, that's funny but i can beat that. I played with Scrabble sticks-thingies. I MADE A DRAMA OUT OF IT!!!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Tube rats, they call them...

That's about to get a whole lot more literal! Wheeeeee! Who else thinks that would be fun? I mean, there's all those playgrounds with tubes to crawl though...there's all those water parks with tubes...what is with us and our fascination with tubes?
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Buckdida wrote:Tube rats, they call them...

That's about to get a whole lot more literal! Wheeeeee! Who else thinks that would be fun? I mean, there's all those playgrounds with tubes to crawl though...there's all those water parks with tubes...what is with us and our fascination with tubes?
I blame natural curiosity...and Mario.
Make Pasta not war.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Buckdida wrote:Tube rats, they call them...

If either of us ever get rich like the ferrets, Buck, you know that a literal ballroom with billions of tubes would probably become a reality
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I can imagine you and Buck as multibillionaires, aged fellows with grandchildren, playing in a huge ball pit or whatever your interpretation of 'literal ballroom' is.

Maybe only wait until you are millionaires, so as to avoid broken hips and misplaced dentures?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other