Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by KJOokami »

Bards are OP.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Been playing Dark Souls a lot the past two days, pretty darn fun game.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Dubiousity wrote:Been playing Dark Souls a lot the past two days, pretty darn fun game.
They say is even more difficult than Demon's :? unfortunately i didn't like the graphic style of that game and the absence of a good plot
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

_Stu_ wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:Been playing Dark Souls a lot the past two days, pretty darn fun game.
They say is even more difficult than Demon's :? unfortunately i didn't like the graphic style of that game and the absence of a good plot
It does have a good plot, you just have to work in order find out more about it, the game doesn't just tell you.

And I personally love the graphic style.

Post by 0404 »

crysis3!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5NNkyDt ... r_embedded
game series that I never played before ...
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I'm not terribly excited for Crysis 3, Crysis 2 was alright but it got boring fairly quickly.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Crysis 2 was stupid pled on stupid, piled on un originality and lack of effort. I have zero hope for Crysis 3.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Crysis 2 was stupid pled on stupid, piled on un originality and lack of effort. I have zero hope for Crysis 3.
I'm convinced you pretty much hate every modern shooter besides obscure ones.
The Grey Wolverine

No actually, I enjoy Battlefield and to an extent COD, but I'm someone who looks at games from a story+gameplay aspect, and the transition from Crysis 1-2 lead to the pace going up to a level that just felt COD like, and with half of the weapon attachments being annoying, like if you put a grenade launcher on your gun, you lose the ability for semi auto fire. Its just that a lot of games seem to take a backseat from decent storytelling to do ACTION ACTION ACTION EXPLOSION! and make multiplayer with little to no learning curve, and when did I mention loving obscure FPS? Or do I just give off that impression accidentally?
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I think you may give off a bit of that "hardcore Indie-supporter" vibe, even if you don't necessarily talk about any Indie titles in particular. It's probably mostly the fact that you have no reservations with openly bashing big-name titles that you didn't enjoy for one reason or another.

While disliking certain big-name titles doesn't equate to supporting Indie titles, the two do often blend together.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:No actually, I enjoy Battlefield and to an extent COD, but I'm someone who looks at games from a story+gameplay aspect, and the transition from Crysis 1-2 lead to the pace going up to a level that just felt COD like, and with half of the weapon attachments being annoying, like if you put a grenade launcher on your gun, you lose the ability for semi auto fire. Its just that a lot of games seem to take a backseat from decent storytelling to do ACTION ACTION ACTION EXPLOSION! and make multiplayer with little to no learning curve, and when did I mention loving obscure FPS? Or do I just give off that impression accidentally?
You just defined CoD and BF, the two games you like.
The Grey Wolverine

Dubiousity wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:No actually, I enjoy Battlefield and to an extent COD, but I'm someone who looks at games from a story+gameplay aspect, and the transition from Crysis 1-2 lead to the pace going up to a level that just felt COD like, and with half of the weapon attachments being annoying, like if you put a grenade launcher on your gun, you lose the ability for semi auto fire. Its just that a lot of games seem to take a backseat from decent storytelling to do ACTION ACTION ACTION EXPLOSION! and make multiplayer with little to no learning curve, and when did I mention loving obscure FPS? Or do I just give off that impression accidentally?
You just defined CoD and BF, the two games you like.
i'm not a big fan of COD, and Battlefield 3 HAD a learning curve, but updates have seen fit to ruin that by dropping the power on a few noob guns like the FAMAS, and boosting the power of more guns like the KH2002, its descended into a COD title on bigger maps, thankfully, rented servers will often ban the use of things like the USAS12, explosive shells, or just shotguns outright and claymores. I can still enjoy it, because yes, I do bash things I really love because I like to think that there is always room to improve.
KJOokami wrote:I think you may give off a bit of that "hardcore Indie-supporter" vibe, even if you don't necessarily talk about any Indie titles in particular. It's probably mostly the fact that you have no reservations with openly bashing big-name titles that you didn't enjoy for one reason or another.

While disliking certain big-name titles doesn't equate to supporting Indie titles, the two do often blend together.
I just bash big name game titles because while I stand on a soapbox yelling and ranting half the time, I hope that I can save some of the people here money, or at least give them an opinion that you don't usually hear, I do like indie titles though like Bastion and I am Alive, I recommend both games highly, though Alive slightly less, try the demo, and if you really think its worth it, pick it up. I still like big name series and tiles like Assassin's Creed, and the Far Cry series, plus I know Fallout New Vegas inside and out.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I just bash big name game titles because while I stand on a soapbox yelling and ranting half the time, I hope that I can save some of the people here money, or at least give them an opinion that you don't usually hear, I do like indie titles though like Bastion and I am Alive, I recommend both games highly, though Alive slightly less, try the demo, and if you really think its worth it, pick it up. I still like big name series and tiles like Assassin's Creed, and the Far Cry series, plus I know Fallout New Vegas inside and out.
I wasn't trying to criticize; I was just offering my perspective on your question about giving off "pro-Indie" vibes.

Post by 0404 »

I know it is NOT related to what we are talking about but I really want to say this.

why dosen't microsoft game studio make/franchises any good games except halo (full of fanboys)??
I use to play Age of Empire series, zoo tycoon, motocross madness ,midtown madness, impossible creature, flight simulator... now we got no story based 'age of empires online', non simulator 'microsoft Flight'... why microsoft game studio??
Last edited by 0404 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Grey Wolverine

KJOokami wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:I just bash big name game titles because while I stand on a soapbox yelling and ranting half the time, I hope that I can save some of the people here money, or at least give them an opinion that you don't usually hear, I do like indie titles though like Bastion and I am Alive, I recommend both games highly, though Alive slightly less, try the demo, and if you really think its worth it, pick it up. I still like big name series and tiles like Assassin's Creed, and the Far Cry series, plus I know Fallout New Vegas inside and out.
I wasn't trying to criticize; I was just offering my perspective on your question about giving off "pro-Indie" vibes.
I was just trying to elaborate on my bashing of big game titles.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

I just discovered Nobunaga's Ambition X Pokemon will be released in the US at June 18. I didn't know.

As a Koei --> Nobunaga's Ambition --> Samurai Warriors (and musou in general) fanboy i just can't stop myself from buying it. I already love it.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Daggy

Post by Daggy »

texascat018 wrote:why dosen't microsoft game studio make/franchises any good games except halo (full of fanboys)??
I use to play Age of Empire series, zoo tycoon, motocross madness ,midtown madness, impossible creature, flight simulator... now we got no story based 'age of empires online', non simulator 'microsoft Flight'... why microsoft game studio??
It's just not in their focus anymore. They might be working on other things or somesuch. A LOT of people miss Age of Empires though.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Daggy wrote: A LOT of people miss Age of Empires though.
You can count me among those. I was never really all that good at attacking, but I enjoyed playing on teams and playing the defensive side of things. I could turtle with the best of them. ^^'; Also, Ottoman cannons rocked in the third game...just sayin'.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I honestly...never played them. I've heard good things about the games though. I stick more to my RPG's and such things. I actually have a super small variety of games I enjoy...end up getting bored of many things early, especially if there's nothing like...Gear progression or somesuch thing. Something that makes me want to keep playing and get all the best stuff.

Likely why I'm so horrible at platformers. lol
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

You should get a PS3 and give Little Big Planet a try, that'd probably solve the platformer issue for you.

No, but seriously, I understand where you're coming from with saying that. There either needs to be a story or something to achieve for me to stick with a game for too long, but with games like AoE and Civ I mostly play them to take a break from other games...it's oddly cleansing.

On a different note though, I'd imagine with that gear progression comment that you're a fan of Monster Hunter, ne? *Crosses fingers and hopes*
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I haven't ever REALLY played it because I haven't had a PSP and was too young for anything that might have been on PS1. I was too focused on WoW to really play anything around PS2 times. And by focused, I mean obsessed/addicted to the people I played with. lol. I have wanted to try it though, especially since a friend of mine would play it while we were waiting for class in the morning.

I have tried Little Big Planet, I didn't find it as fun as the vast majority of people. Just not really my thing :<

Definitely enjoy Civ, have been waiting to find 4 or 5 on sale but it's just not going on sale and I can't find my copy of Civlization:Revolution. Really want to try out the more in-depth games in the series.

p.s. I'm really bad at keeping on one thought track, rofl.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Eh, well if you're a gear junkie and don't mind a little grinding I can assure you you'll enjoy Monster Hunter if you ever get a chance to play it, those of us you might call devotees of MH are hoping to see a PS3 release some time in the next year, and there is a MH game for the Wii which is pretty awesome as well so if you ever want to give it a try with out picking up a psp and have the Wii you have that as an option(Use of classic controller highly recommended should this be the option you choose).

And yeah, I know what ya mean about WoW, that game can be life devouring if you're not careful...especially if/when you have a good guild or group you consistently run with.

Eh, guess you really just aren't the platformer type then. LBP is usually the one to win over people even when no others can.

Also, Civ 5(Which is the one I'd suggest if you want the proper experience...4 kinda went wonky.) can be gotten through Steam for a fairly cheap price, at least compared to what it cost at release, and Steam changes the stuff they have on sale almost daily. So if you just keep an eye on the Steam store version I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up for a price you like sooner or later. If/When that happens, feel free to add me on Steam...or add me now even, don't really mind either way to be honest, I'm easy to find on just about everything, given I only really use one name these days.

And finally, I'm pretty used to the whole jumping trains of thought thing...given that my mind in typically on five or six at any one given moment. Makes it easier to follow those who jump from one to another quickly though, so I'm not complaining.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Well yeah, I watch steam often but the times it's on sale I don't have money xP. And I've definitely gotten off the WoW addiction because my guild just clears everything on heroic in one day and then I afk all week...lol. Definitely worth the hours spent progressing. So much fun.

I will look into Monster Hunter at some point. That and Dark Souls. Need to get me some good, hard games. Yeeeee.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Just out of curiosity, when you played Little Big Planet, were you playing alone or with friends? Because from my experience, the game is really pretty depressing to play alone in comparison to with other people.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Alone with my friend watching. xP
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Awwwwww dude. You shoulda convinced him to play with you! :p

That game becomes infinitely more amusing when you have someone to play with. You end up spending more time fighting over who grabs which items and trying to screw each other over than actually completing the levels. XD That was really the only reason I liked playing the game, to be completely honest. I tried playing by myself later on and, like I said before, it was pretty dull.

The sack boys are are still pretty freakin' adorable though. Haha.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Pffssshhh. I don't even know if he has the game anymore...or a second controller. I completely forget.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Anybody else pick up Trials Evolution yet? This game is spectacular!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Dubiousity wrote:Anybody else pick up Trials Evolution yet? This game is spectacular!
No, what platform is it on and what type of game is it?
Shirosune wrote:You should get a PS3 and give Little Big Planet a try, that'd probably solve the platformer issue for you.
If you ever do get a PS3 make sure you get the Ratchet and Clank games. There's an awesome story, weapon upgrading, secrets to find and even some platforming, although it's not specifically a platformer. The Jak games are good too, the first one mostly just has platforming, egg collecting and puzzles while the second and third ones have weapons, vehicles and challenging egg collecting as well, along with a good story of course.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

We goin' on dat Kourna world. GOGO
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Souji

Post by Souji »

Kourna won't know what hit it.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Nyaliva wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:Anybody else pick up Trials Evolution yet? This game is spectacular!
No, what platform is it on and what type of game is it?
Shirosune wrote:You should get a PS3 and give Little Big Planet a try, that'd probably solve the platformer issue for you.
If you ever do get a PS3 make sure you get the Ratchet and Clank games. There's an awesome story, weapon upgrading, secrets to find and even some platforming, although it's not specifically a platformer. The Jak games are good too, the first one mostly just has platforming, egg collecting and puzzles while the second and third ones have weapons, vehicles and challenging egg collecting as well, along with a good story of course.
It's a BMX obstacle game for Xbox 360, it's an arcade game.

Also, what the heck is Kourna?
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

One of the GW2 EU worlds a few of us are gonna roll on for the Beta this weekend.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjgyNkLFo8

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

GW2 gogo

sadly got dc'd and can't play. x.x
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

_Stu_ wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjgyNkLFo8

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
Wow, another Rayman platformer so soon? Rayman Origins must've done really well (I did here it was really good). This one looks like heaps of fun too.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Guild Wars 2 huh?

My laptop probably couldn't run it.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Shirosune wrote:
Also, Civ 5(Which is the one I'd suggest if you want the proper experience...4 kinda went wonky.) can be gotten through Steam for a fairly cheap price, at least compared to what it cost at release, and Steam changes the stuff they have on sale almost daily. So if you just keep an eye on the Steam store version I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up for a price you like sooner or later. If/When that happens, feel free to add me on Steam...or add me now even, don't really mind either way to be honest, I'm easy to find on just about everything, given I only really use one name these days.
Civ 5 may be a little easier to understand for newer folks but I find its very unfriendly to my preferred play styles I have become accustomed to over the course of years playing previous Civ games. My own personal opinion of course.

Been seriously considering getting Guild Wars 2. I really need something fresher than WoW and I don't particularly feel like joining my relatives playing Rift.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
exranio

Post by exranio »

I have 5 and 4. To my knowledge most people arn't fond of 5.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Liam

Post by Liam »

While we're at "manage your civ" games, anybody ever played the Anno series?

They're like a mix between Civ and Sim City, but RTS. I enjoyed immensely the latest entry, Anno 2070.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.