Re: Another bit of fanart

Post by Obbl »

I really enjoy your drawings, Kurowolfe. And their tags are great. :D
もっと絵を楽しむ! ;)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Glad you like it, Obbl! =3
I actually enjoyed drawing, surprisingly.
Maybe I'll do some more, but after my econ test.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Wow... So much great stuff here!

Peanut Pony is my favorite. And the collars are great too!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Souji

Post by Souji »

I rather like the coloring in most of these... I could never get the hang of color.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Guess who it is, you win a cookie x3
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Definitely one of the cubs, imo.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Daggy wrote:Definitely one of the cubs, imo.
Yep :3

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

And now to one-up Zander again

ImageImage
ImageImage
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Bloody awesome.
Enough said.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Hi there! You've already seen five surreal HP drawings from me (Pearld, Partial Selfsnack, Checkpete, Not me yet and Yangter) and one abstract (Mlugul) and now here's another piece, where I experimented with... Dadaism!

This style emerged during WW1 and it basically creates an art in an absurd way, to point to the absurdity of the war and killing (at the time the style emerged) and that's what I used: absurdity! Image

I (virtually) tore all existing strips into little pieces and then assembled a new drawing from them! That's right, following picture contains pieces from all 467 strips created to the date, except for one! (that's 466 strips technically, who can figure which one I left out gets a biiiig cookie (that's a real riddle Zander Image )). The picture is basically sum of the whole history of Housepets (excluding guest comics) in one single weird picture! Image

Hapa 467! -1
View full resolution version on DeviantArt (highly recommened!)

It required really A LOT of time and effort to create, so hopefully I get some comments... though, I feel like I almost never get any comments at all despite putting a lot of effort, sophistication, thoughts, references and everything into each drawing I make, while some quick doodles do get a lot. Can you tell me what is that? Does nobody appreciate complex art? Image
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

It's definitely a lot easier to understand and appreciate a quick doodle than a complex, surreal one. I thought they were all quite great, interesting as well. This is no different.

My mind wants to give it some kind of a form, but the form it wants to give it doesn't match. It adds to the absurdity aspect, definitely. Great work.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Yes, but where's any real artistic value in a doodle? Isn't it a little bit (maybe more) unfair, that something that is done relatively quickly is appreciated more, than something, on which I spend working several days, excluding the long planning before, creating and putting there all references, relations, logic a really lot of thoughts and pack it all into one single picture and it just goes mostly ignored.

I think that art is more about creating feelings and emotions in the observer, making him think. What about doodle? You look and go, but complex picture can make you think for a long time, I think there's certainly much more value in it and surely much more effort.

Personally, I never actually show doodles, because they're too simple, without a point, without thought... just empty.

You can't imagine how much thoughts and references and ideas were put into that Dadaist one I just posted. I had an awful lot of time to think while making it and the position of the pieces is not random at all. A few of them are, but most are not. 466 pieces positioned and selected so they're related somehow.

Anyway, thanks.

EDIT: Actually, I had idea for this drawing for a few months.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

The great challenge of an artist is not only to create something which he enjoys and finds meaning in, but also to create something that another person, one who was not involved in the creation and has no way to see what thought went into the piece, can connect to as well.
It is a lot easier to create something with a meaning behind it than it is to unravel that meaning when one has only the end product to see. This is the basis of encryption and why it works so well.
For instance, when I look past the incredible jumble of comic snippets, I see a few obvious connections:
Bino's "AAAAAAAAAAA" from when he fell off the balcony in Money Sharks arc is connected to a snippet of Bino in the full body cast which was the end result of his fall. And based on the snippets before this it appears the whole arc is lined up to his fall.
Many Grape's have been spliced together to stretch her out to the rainbow light's source such that her head is right next to the head of a very stretched out Peanut.
And I know there must be more connections, but there is so much going on that I can't wrap my head around all of it. So my natural reaction is to step back and simply look at the incredible jumble of comic snippets again.

When Sleet posts a sketch of young Joel, grown Joel, and King; I make an immediate connection to the characters displayed there. I quickly run through the moments I shared with those characters, and the things I felt. It's kind of like cheating, but it's going to get a response.
When Kurowolfe posts a picture of his Housepets! style character, I enjoy the artwork and creativity that went into designing a character and drawing it in a style I am familiar with viewing. I take in the details of the character, and then I begin extrapolating a personality from the picture which allows me to better connect to what I am seeing. Then I employ my knowledge of Japanese to further get the reference of the character's name and read his introduction. This leads me to comment.
You'll note I don't comment on the sketches with Firefly references. This is because I have never seen Firefly, and do not have a basis for connecting any farther than the picture itself.

Which brings us back to your compilation. I find it intriguing and mysterious and certainly absurd. But where certain people may connect well to this, I do not. It is the lamentation of many wonderful artists. People do not understand their work, and tragically, it falls to the wayside.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Obbl: well I don't think that complex art is supposed to be understood completely at once. At least, you can come back to it after some time and discover something new again and again and again, but can you do that with some drawing? And the fact that you saw at least these few connections is really wonderful. I think that art should have really a lot of thoughts packed into it and have a lot of value in itself, instead of just simply displaying some character or something... that's too simple from my viewpoint - where's the intellectual food to exercise and feed your brain in that, when all the connections are simply too obvious?

Also, I don't like targeting art to a specific audience, I rather create it how I feel it, how I like it, how I think, instead of modifying it so it gets the highest response, highest popularity possible and eventually highest cash. To me, art is a form of expression and I'm expressing myself and my thoughts, not thoughts that I think that others will definitely like.

But yeah, I kind of noticed it even in music world. There's a lot of mainstream pop music and pop artists, who are ultrapopular mostly thanks to the big wave and making music that is very popular, while some very creative musicians and bands, who actually push the boundaries of the music and create very unique and artistically valuable pieces, are quite little known. But I heard that before, artists lamenting how people don't understand their work am I doing the same? Image (though I would never call myself anything positive without references, I dislike the self proclaimed geniuses and that sort of thing, just so you don't think that I'm calling myself wonderful artist, which I'm definitely not as far as I am concerned)

But do you mean, that artists who don't make it easy to completely decipher their creations are worse than these who do?

EDIT: But I wonder, if anyone can guess (or find out O.o) the strip I left out. It's also not chosen randomly, it has some meaning to me.

EDIT2: I should also say, that this work was inspired by this specific Dadaist picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _Knife.jpg
It's my first dadaist one, but I'm thinking of more, using different absurd methods, even some completely mine. But cutting a newspaper or something was one of the common techniques.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Zander

Post by Zander »

I see a tail with an eye on it. Do I win? :3

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I think you should definitely keep making art that please you. ;)
And, no, artists for whose art people connect to are not necessarily better, sometimes they're just lucky that the art that pleases them happens to connect to a larger audience.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Dada's pretty fun.
I like the twisty pile of Grape torsos in the center there, and also the little music note of in the corner. What's that red square thing with King's hat on it in the top right, though?
All in all, I think this is pretty cool. The only big problem I think is that the form is distracting, I like how the black and white strips are separated, but as a whole it at first looks as though it's supposed to be a specific shape, which contrasts with the actual point.

And as I'm typing this, I just noticed that the background is made of empty strips with Rick's name still under them, that's really cool.
Image Image
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

Sinder wrote:And now to one-up Zander again

Is it me or did that drawing of Joel end up looking like the corrupt Caesar in the Gladiator movie? I wasn't expecting the drawing of him to appear that way when I drew him.
Last edited by QRS3000 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I found waldo
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, I'll be frank, I actually couldn't really grasp the whole concept at first, asides from a mass of items, faces and body parts, and attempts to do that just brought a headache.

Then, I looked at it a second time, and a third, and I still don't get it (-.-') But I can say that you've definitely captured the spirit of absurdity and craziness in the whole image, while still managed to convey the sense of time flow from the centre to the surroundings (I know, because I've read through the whole series again). And the amount of details are just mind-blowing.

So, then I just simply looked at it as a whole, and only then I can really appreciate your work, and I just smiled =3

You should be proud of this work, Frooxius. Not many people even has the imagination, or guts, in trying out styles as complex as this, and you've actually opened my eyes here (with me coming from a totally science background). I know I sound sickeningly sweet here :oops: , but like I said, I'm being frank here.

Definitely looking forward for more of your works of art, so don't stop doing more, or I'll be going Dada on you ;)

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Yes, but where's any real artistic value in a doodle? Isn't it a little bit (maybe more) unfair, that something that is done relatively quickly is appreciated more, than something, on which I spend working several days, excluding the long planning before, creating and putting there all references, relations, logic a really lot of thoughts and pack it all into one single picture and it just goes mostly ignored.
The thing you have to remember is that art is entirely subjective. I for one can't say that I get much pleasure out of the styles that you use (I do love Dadaism, but as a movement rather than the art it creates), but that's not to say I think your styles are any worse or less valid, no more than I would call food that is too spicy or sour for me bad. They're not bad, or worse than what I do like. They're just different, and I happen to prefer something else. Ironically, I am usually arguing the same as you but from the opposite end; I love realism and 'well-drawn' pictures, rather than modern art and surrealism, and I usually argue that modern art is, relatively, easy and effortless compared to photo-realistic paintings which gain much less appreciation and monetary value. A friend of mine is a fantastic artist who spends months on individual paintings, and he has lost art competitions to people who piled radiators on top of one another. I see that as unfair, for the exact same reasons that you value your own styles over doodles and other similar things. However, neither of us is right or wrong, because art, as I say, is entirely subjective.
You hit it on the head actually when you say you create art for yourself. Excellent, please keep doing that, and I'm sure that if you keep creating art for yourself then you'll find others who share your interests and appreciate your work for what it is. But surely if the work is for yourself, it almost doesn't matter whether or not people comment. The art is not for them. If they enjoy it then great, but if not then so be it, it's for you so they don't have to.
Although I would suggest that you're probably being too dismissive of 'doodles', in the same way that I am usually dismissive of modern art; I am sure that lots of what you consider to be doodles on here took a lot of time and effort, and you don't know how good the artist is at drawing. I'm not a great artist myself, so it would take me hours to do some of the work on here that, in the right artist's hands, would take all of 5 minutes. A new artist especially, who doesn't know all the short cuts, could spend an entire day on a single piece, and we won't know that unless we ask or they say. Unless I'm mistaken, you haven't said until now how long each piece takes you, so how were we expected to know?
And if art is truly about art and nothing else, does the time it takes to produce really matter? Surely the work should speak for itself, regardless of whether its creation took 5 minutes or 5 months.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Kyderra wrote:I found waldo
lolwut?
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Kyderra: Where? Image (was that targeted to my picture, wasn't it?)

kurowolfe: thanks, you make me blush Image
I certainly won't stop doing anything, I just didn't understand viewpoint of others on this matter and what they actually think, but I do now, thanks. (also, I'm from quite scientific background too (actually even got a scientific award already and in fact, it was for a project that actually sort-of merges technology and art creating a new art form), I love both science and art). What's "be going dada on you"? You mean you're going to tear me apart and compose a new organism from the pieces? Image That actually sounds interesting, so I'm seriously considering stopping working on it for a while, to see the new organism you would come up with simply for the artistic value - bioart! (can you make it look like my fursona by any chance?) Image
EDIT: Though it's nice to see that at least some people got some of the messages that I put there and that they like it. I certainly don't want to be somehow extra popular or anything (it always makes me embarrassed, you have no idea how much I blush and how my face burns when more people look at me at once x3 ), but to know that the message got at least to some people, that's nice. Art is actually composed from three things: the process of creation itself, the result of the process and the effect of the result on the artist and others, so it's also not entirely unimportant, how others perceive it.

sliceofdog: well I didn't mean to say, that one style is better than another and by doodles I mean the drawings that are obviously quickly sketched, not everything is surely a quick doodle (I do these too sometimes, they're really quick to make, for example in school when I've got a little time, but I never really publish them).

As for the art competitions... yeah I find them quite unfair, because every artist has his own style and can be good at it and the result it simply based on judge's preferences. In fact, I believe that it's not even possible to objectively compare two pieces of art.

This brings me to another thing: I never wanted to dismiss the doodles or anything, I just don't understand how others view what I do, so I asked and wanted to know their opinions and viewpoint. And I would never stop doing what I do just because I don't get comments, but it sometimes makes me a little bit sad, when I think that nobody else likes it when I put a lot of work to it and they prefer something quickly doodled. I'm not really complaining or anything, but just wondering why is that.

EDIT: But although I don't want to dimiss them or imply they're bad or something, I myself don't find much value in simple drawings of character and such. I can look at character, how he looks like and... that's it. There's not really much behind it, much meaning/thoughts/riddles. I personally like complex stuff that can make you think for a long time... stuff where you can always find something new in, that can inspire you into your own ideas about the scene and such. It doesn't necessarily have to be something like surrealism, you can do that with realism too for example.

Also, the time taken can be more or less judged from the drawing, if it's something sketched on a pencil with a paper, it surely didn't take as long as fully colored complex drawing with lots of details. But time isn't exactly what I'm talking, mostly about the complexity and actual effort and thoughts put into it.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh of offended someone, I just wanted to know how others see the same thing, because obviously everyone sees it differently.

CaptainPea: that red square with King's hat is from this: https://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/02/ ... otty-line/
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
valerio

Post by valerio »

this latest piece of yours, frooxius, is really ingenious, yet another pleasant surprise for the eye. *bows*
NickCrotser

Post by NickCrotser »

Well, it doesn't contain any characters, but it does have the Flying Saucer from that Peanut Abduction pic I did a while back. And it IS related to HP! so, I figure I'll upload them here.
The updated HP!R banner
Attachments
Art by Nick Crotser
Art by Nick Crotser
HP!R_main_banner(sm)2.0.png (127.42 KiB) Viewed 11480 times
Art by Nick Crotser
Art by Nick Crotser
HPR20a.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 11480 times
Image + Image
Housepets! Radio Co-Host and Producer (https://www.housepetsradio.com/)
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

kurowolfe: I love it! :D

Zander: I'm really liking your art style! and I knew it was a cub :3

Sinder: Very good. xD

Frooxius: o_o 466 comic strips in one glace? Very unique.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

HP!R is FROM SPAAAAAACE.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Tha Housefox wrote:HP!R is FROM SPAAAAAACE.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

AHAHAHAH! I love memes... they are so awesome.

░░░░░░░░░░░▓███████▓░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓██▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓██▓░░░░░░░
░░░░░▒██▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▓██▒░░░░
░░░░██▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓██░░░
░░░██▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▒░░░░██░░
░░█▓▓▓░▓██▒░░░░░▒█▓▒▒██▓░░░██░
░██▓▓░░▓███░░░░▒█░░░░███▓░░░█▓
▒█░█░░░░░░█▓░░░▓▓░░░░░░░█░░░▒█
██░▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▒░░░▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░█
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
██░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░█
░█▒░░███████████████████▓░░░▒█
░▓█░░▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▓▓█▓░░░█▓
░░██░░▓█▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██▓██░░░██░
░░░██░░▓██▓▓█▓░░░░░░▒██▒░░██░░
░░░░██▓░░▓██▓░░░░░▒▓▓▓░░▓██░░░
░░░░░▒██▓░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░░▓██▒░░░░
░░░░░░░░▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Huh, done!
I wanted to make myself a new avatar, but I do like my current one of Peanut with his headphones.
So I drew one =3

@ Frooxius: Well, I only meant that figuratively, as in I'll go crazy on you. But, your words made a crazy idea to attack me, and I might try to make it out later, if time permits me to XD
Last edited by kurowolfe on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

valerio

Post by valerio »

totally dig it!
Just remember that Peanut's ears are of a darker shade of brown.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

*facepaw*
No wonder I have this feeling that something's out of place. Guess I was in a rush to get it finished before dinner XD
Thanx for pointing that out, valerio!
Modified and changed =3

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I like it. Pretty simple and stylish of Peanut =)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Here are two doodles I did of Peanut and Grape. xD

Just REALLY quick doodles, I don't even feel like it's even 5 or 10 minutes.

IGNORE the red lines. I accidentally drew on the same layer as the basic shape and I realized that AFTER I finished drawing. ; A;

Enjoy!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

That's pretty good for a couple of quick sketches. :3

Now, this one requires a bit of explanation. First off, my 8 year old sister drew this. I had no part in it, it was just something she decided to draw. I found it laying on the coffee table. I went over to her, and asked her if the cat was standing on two legs.

"Yeah."

*sudden realization* "Wait, did you draw our cat like he was from Housepets?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Is it okay if show this to the people on the internet?"

"Sure!"

And so I am. Ladies and gents, feast your eyes on the work of possibly the youngest Housepets fan artist ever. =P
Scan_Pic0008.jpg
Scan_Pic0008.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 11371 times
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

@Coatl: Oh dear Lord that is adorable.

@NickCole: Very nice. I wish I could draw that well that fast.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I want to grab peanuts tong for some reason...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:... my 8 year old sister drew this. I had no part in it...
Sure, sure, eh? ~_^ You don't have to be ashamed of what you've drawn, it's not the worst I've ever seen. *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Nickcole: well that's very easy to fix (red lines) simply use some color-targeting function to remove it, like Color To Alpha in GIMP. Look, 10 seconds of work Image
Attachments
fixed.png
fixed.png (135.71 KiB) Viewed 11503 times
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

@ Coatl_Ruu
Hey, it's a start! this reminds me of the times when I was younger, I used to draw Sonic the Hedgehog and similar stuff. They weren't high quality, but I still enjoyed drawing them.
It's kinda cute... Gee, even an 8 year old can color better than me.

@ Diss
*Snrk*
Last edited by Russiarules1 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!