25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

You know, apparently there was a time when I was much, much younger when I wouldn't talk to you unless you called me Blinky (from "Blinky Bill" - an Australian cartoon about a cheeky koala) and another time when I wouldn't talk unless you called me Alvin (from "Alvin and the Chipmunks"). Mum think I might have or have had Asperger's too, although I've never been tested or officially diagnosed.
And yes, since joining these forums, I do consider myself furry, by the definition we use here. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

I personally think there's a correlation between having a tough childhood where imagination and escapism are used as a coping mechanism to deal with bouts of sadness. Some kids deal with it by developing multiple personalities, some deal with it by imagining that they can fly or gallop away.

My first experience was in 6th or 7th grade when I imagined myself to be a robin, and flying out the window to take up a new life in the woodlot down the road, free of harassment, free of school and homework that I had trouble with, but close enough I could look into the window once and a while to check in on my brother, mom, and dad. It was a powerful daydream and I could almost feel the wind within the feathers; I think a flying dream one night sealed the deal and it took several weeks to get back into a regular "human boy" frame of mind. I sat in that woods a lot that spring and summer. It's still there, parts of it are still a fresh memory even after all these many years. This happened in oh, man...summer of 1977 or 1978, long before there was a name for such mindsets. I never felt any need to share it with anyone before, so this is the first time I probably have written about it. I've had maybe five such episodes in my life, the last two of which occurred around 2005 or 2006. I only bring it up as one possible mechanism that might explain how young folks with social issues (which seem to be fairly common with aspies) might end up gravitating towards escapist hobbies and furry fursonas. It brings an intangible 'hopeful' that says we're special, and with sheer force of will, we can imagine hard enough to affect the impossible to make it possible.

Does that make any sense or am I totally out there?
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

That makes sense. And I totally get it, kind of...

I may not have had much of a rough childhood as much as others would have, but I get bullied sometimes. To the point where I almost tried avoiding people, not making much friends. I never really daydream much, but I do sleep a lot and dream about "escaping reality". I dream about being someone else, or being me and acting totally not myself. I've sometimes dreamed of living as my fursona and meeting various other furries. It's strange how I remember so little about it.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Here's a thought. How many of you furries had imaginary friends as a kid and of those imaginary friends, how many were animal or at least, non human?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

That would be me, when I was younger, I hated people because they always picked on me, but I liked animals moreso then people, I really did like dealing with my dog more then lots of people I knew
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was bullied a lot but I never wanted to be an animal out of escapism, nor did I have imaginary friends.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I was bullied moderately, but never really bothered with escapism. I found self depreciating humor to be most effective as I could verbally abuse them back and anything they said had no impact on me. So pretty much won the moment they began trying to argue. :lol:
Being a furry is just a choice for me, I love animals and read lots of comics.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I was bullied during Grades 5-6(worst two years of my life) simply because my having Asbergers made me a retard. In fact, my sister actually slapped one of the boys when she overheard them calling me a retard. As for imaginary friends, I had one who was a chicken/crab/spider hybrid. He was around for, like... five minutes.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I was always bullied too. Reading was probably my main way of taking my mind off things. Still is, in fact. I used to imagine being an animal but it was always just for fun, never to try to escape. As to imaginary friends, I used to have several but they were always characters I liked from TV shows or books rather than characters I made up myself. And I don't think many of then were even animals...
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Hlaoroo wrote:I don't think having a fursona is essential to being furry. I've met a few furries in my limited experience of the fandom that don't have one.
The definition of furry that we've always used here is "one whose enjoyment of media is caused or enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic or animal characters". But really furry can be whatever you want to make it and really it all boils down to whether you think you're furry or not. If you think you are then you are but if you think you're not then you're not. Simple as that. ;)
With that definition, nearly everybody is a furry. Everybody who likes to watch Tom and Jerry or Disney Movies or reads Housepets!...

I picked "No, I'm not a furry" earlier. But the more I think about it, I would like to change that. With this wide definition - and I agree to it - I say: Yes, I am a furry.
I neither wear fur or even ears, nor can I imagin to do that. But I fully accept if other people do that if they like, that is fine for me. I also like movies, comics and other art with anthropomorphic or animal characters and really enjoy that. So: Yes, I am a furry.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most people like at least one work with anthropomorphic characters, but furries like them because of that fact.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

That is part of the reason why I like it.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Well would housepets! have the same impact if, say, Peanut was a human boy and not a dog? Probably not. :lol:
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

That's what just came also to my mind. If this would be with humans instead of animals, I probably would not read it.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Well would housepets! have the same impact if, say, Peanut was a human boy and not a dog? Probably not. :lol:
Peanut wouldn't be a pet if that were the case =P

He would be a Houseboy. *Ba-dum~tish!*

Housepets is a comic about Housepets. I think that alone is the deciding factor. It's just either people don't know or don't want to know thanks to history of online comics.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I was bullied moderately, but never really bothered with escapism. I found self depreciating humor to be most effective as I could verbally abuse them back and anything they said had no impact on me. So pretty much won the moment they began trying to argue. :lol:
Being a furry is just a choice for me, I love animals and read lots of comics.
same here i sometimes feel i am part animal and i was bullyed alot to infact i sorta got used to it and no matter what thay said or did to me i would just give them this utterly blank expression ias if saying i dont care even olmost got punched in the face by some kid he missed by hardly at all then stormed out of the room i barely onely blinked when he did it i just stood there brushed myselfe off and walked away i guess thats also part of my assbergers took ALOT to me mad about anything glad im out of THAT school angers not much of one of my basic emotions and tin foil hats DONT CALL YOOURSELFE retarded cuz atfer 3 yaers of being called that at 3 different schools i believed it and that was probably also why i was so bad at school work cuz i didnt believe in myselfe at all and then getting piked on just cuz i got a tuder and all the special stuff i got that thay said would help me but didnt
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

No matter how hard people tried they couldn't really bully me. It was either too little to have any effect or too dangerous because I know all of their vital points, so being interested in animals and living with them really helped. :lol: I guess thats also another reason I like furry art and comics.

From my own knowledge people with Aspergers tend to have a niche they specialize in, and the few people I know who fall under the criteria happen to be either above average intelligence or better off socially than people considered "normal". (Whatever normal is)
Last edited by Kyuunado on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

matthew Wolf wrote:tin foil hats DONT CALL YOOURSELFE retarded
I'm not saying I'm retarded, that's what people called me during my time at that school, but I didn't believe them in the slightest.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

TinFoilHats wrote:I'm not saying I'm retarded, that's what people called me during my time at that school, but I didn't believe them in the slightest.

GOOD!!!
Firenze

Post by Firenze »

It's still rather rude for people to be saying those type of things to ya. Whether you happen to have Aspergers or be a furry, we are all still humans with emotions and feelings. It'd be nice for people to be a little more conscious on how much pain they can cause to someone and instead, try to respect other people's interests/conditions. In this world, communication in terms of cooperating well with others is such a critical key to success. But anyways, kudos to you guys for staying strong! :D
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

tychoaussie wrote:
TinFoilHats wrote:I'm not saying I'm retarded, that's what people called me during my time at that school, but I didn't believe them in the slightest.

GOOD!!!
i didnt believe it iether but there would still be moments when it would get to me a little when i would think this is to hard i cant do this and i would correct them and say that im not retarded but thay never believed it though im just saying it can get hard sometimes
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I always felt that if people resort to using verbal insults like that they are either trying to act cool by picking on someone or are conscious that they have problems as well and so try to hide the fact. Society can be annoying sometimes, but by confusing them you can easily win against any bully. :lol:
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

matthew Wolf wrote:i didnt believe it iether but there would still be moments when it would get to me a little when i would think this is to hard i cant do this and i would correct them and say that im not retarded but thay never believed it though im just saying it can get hard sometimes
I'm the same way sometimes too to be honest.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

In retrospect, (in case anyone here is going through it right now)
I think if I had to live my 7th through 12th grade life over again, I would have understood that the intolerant jerks were just being kids, and let them shoot off their mouth, followed with me ignoring them and concentrating on the real people that matter, like my brother and those kids who actually did stuff. Key club, math club, robotics, whatever. The jerks grow up and if you are nice now, they will wise up someday and remember you for it.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

alot of those kids to also have there own personnal problems at home and alot of them didnt have very good lives so i should have understanded that but its the people who dont do anything about are the ones getting picked on cuz its esier and people will pik anyone who was different and i should felt sorry for them rather than being mad at them i didnt like going through all that but i think it made me a the person i am now because of the experience
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I think this is relevant to this thread.

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

aw poor guy xD before i was into furries i was into werewolves
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Very funny. :lol: :D So, besides like anthro stuff, he has a FA account, wishes to have an head fursuit and has made a fursona... He's a totally furry for me, yeah. At this point, be proud of it. ;)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I was going to post that comic a couple of months ago, but Dissension told me it had already been posted in this thread before. I looked it up, I think it was on page 63 or so!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i dont have a furraffinity account but i do sometimes just randomely browse around for about an hour or two X3
Firenze

Post by Firenze »

Cesco wrote:Very funny. :lol: :D So, besides like anthro stuff, he has a FA account, wishes to have an head fursuit and has made a fursona... He's a totally furry for me, yeah. At this point, be proud of it. ;)
...or maybe he has an extreme interest in animal-like creatures. They can totally be two separate things. :lol: But looking at that seriously made my day.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Firenze wrote:
Cesco wrote:Very funny. :lol: :D So, besides like anthro stuff, he has a FA account, wishes to have an head fursuit and has made a fursona... He's a totally furry for me, yeah. At this point, be proud of it. ;)
...or maybe he has an extreme interest in animal-like creatures. They can totally be two separate things. :lol: But looking at that seriously made my day.
well before i knew what the fandom was i was into just werewolves but then i saw more furry art and i thought :P this is even cooler infact there are som werewolf furrys to
Muse

Post by Muse »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I think this is relevant to this thread.

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/c362cdb9768a ... 1_1280.jpg[/ig]
That's my life in 10 panels. Even got the Coyote part right. Well... plus some denial and tears.

And minus my wings.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

That comic is me in a nutshell... more or less.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Err,
This might not be the best time to admit that I ate my breakfast cereal out of a dog bowl this morning. But to be fair, I did still use a spoon!@
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

tychoaussie wrote:Err,
This might not be the best time to admit that I ate my breakfast cereal out of a dog bowl this morning. But to be fair, I did still use a spoon!@
XD that sounds like fun. My friend told me he went to the store and he saw a a dog food dish with a paw on it he was olmost thinking of getting then he thought wait what would i do with this eate out of like a dog then he tried to resist laughing in the store
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've eaten puppy chow (the homemade confection, not the brand of dog food) like a dog before. I even wore a collar.

And locked my door, obviously. I'm a dork. :P
Duster

Post by Duster »

Sleet wrote:
I've eaten puppy chow (the homemade confection, not the brand of dog food) like a dog before. I even wore a collar.

And locked my door, obviously. I'm a dork. :P
Ok, maybe you're a dork, but at least you're a fun dork. :lol:
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Firenze

Post by Firenze »

Well hey, it isn't as bad as accidentally being served actual wet dog food... and actually enjoying it! The taste was rather off compared to most meats, but we assumed that it was just some type of foreign meat. We didn't find out until my grandmother showed us the dog food wrapper that she used and I just simply facepawed myself. That's what I get for having an old lady with poor vision do all the cooking for us, but I still love her. <3 But my friends will never let me hear the end of it. :lol:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

There is a standard that all pet food must be consumable by humans. It may not taste the best, but you should be able to eat anything and suffer no ill consequences.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit