My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by Sleet »

Penwrite wrote:Just three seasons wouldn't be too bad, I think. Avatar: the Last Airbender just got three seasons, and our seasons are actually six episodes longer than their's.

Personally, what I would like to see after FiM ends is another series set somewhere else in Equestria, like Manehattan perhaps, with a mostly different cast of characters. That way we could get new stories, but probably keep to the same basic style and themes.
Avatar was made to have three seasons. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was not.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Just three seasons wouldn't be too bad, I think. Avatar: the Last Airbender just got three seasons, and our seasons are actually six episodes longer than their's.

Personally, what I would like to see after FiM ends is another series set somewhere else in Equestria, like Manehattan perhaps, with a mostly different cast of characters. That way we could get new stories, but probably keep to the same basic style and themes.
Avatar was made to have three seasons. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was not.
You have a good point. Very well then, I see I must bring out the big guns. I am sure that we all would prefer three seasons to, say, them going the 80s Transformers movie route. >:]
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Bringing up the transforming cars into lethal weapons, Twisted Metal should me ponified.
I hope people know what I mean 8-)
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Get ready for it, here it comes!

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal ... -274214331

Lauren Faust is NOT the creator of power puff girls *gasp*

But on the plus side, she's marry'd to THE GUY WHO MADE DEXTER'S LAB and did make the power puff girls. o__o
brb while my brain melts down out of awesomeness
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I thought that was already established?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Russiarules1 wrote:Bringing up the transforming cars into lethal weapons, Twisted Metal should me ponified.
I hope people know what I mean 8-)
Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kyderra wrote:Get ready for it, here it comes!

But on the plus side, she's marry'd to THE GUY WHO MADE DEXTER'S LAB and did make the power puff girls. o__o
*wrestles back control of the computer*

You didn't know that? Yeah, I always thought it was weird bronies kept going on like she was the sole creator of that show. I mean yeah, she did stuff like storyboarding, writing, and some animation for the Powerpuff Girls, but I would never say she was the main person behind it. Same with Foster's. It's a shame, really, that it got to the point that she had to make a DA journal post saying all this.

You're just upset because you think she's being too modest.

Am not! *punches*
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i honestly hope the fandom for the show doesn't die out
if it does though, i just want you guys to know you are some of my best friends
*group hug*
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Foxstar wrote:
Ebly wrote:Here's another thing: Pokémon was "just a fad" initially, wasn't it?

I know MLP and Pokémon are in completely different leagues, but I have to admit the pony fandumb is one I wouldn't mind seeing stick around.
It was a 'fad' in the US. But in Japan where it was born, it's become as much of a part of the culture as Gundam has, (Which is saying a lot). It's a name brand now that even after all the drama of stolen overpriced cards and Pokemania has died down has a very dedicated fanbase, Many of the folks who grew up with it now have kids of their own to pass it on to. And on it goes.

While the MLP brand is anything but a fad, IMHO, the massive growth in fanbase and fan output so far has yet to prove that it is more then a fad. It's not the one or two year marks that determine if something is a fad, it's 3-5-10+ years down the road. If I turn 40 and EQdaily is still around, if the various Ponychans are still active, if there are still cons and viewing parties going on, then to me, it will have passed fad status. But I just don't see that happening. With LF having moved on to other projects and more people who won't be around for season three, I don't see how the growth and meme status of FiM can endure, when every week we have hundreds and hundreds of bronies critically analyzing every new up and voting if it is as good as season 1. While for now it stands strong, a split and dying down of growth is on the way and may even happen before Season 2 wraps up if for no other reason then too many bronies have placed FiM on a pedastool that it can't possibly stay on.
he put "just a fad" in quotes to imply that it wasn't true. It's still got a massive fanbase in the US as well.
Kyderra wrote:Get ready for it, here it comes!

on a related note, Craig McCracken did not make Dexter's Lab, he just worked on it. Genndy Tartakovsky created it, McCracken was the art director. :P

but being married to him still gives her some credit. Spending so much time with him, I'm sure she took at least some inspiration from his style.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

mariomarc wrote:i honestly hope the fandom for the show doesn't die out
if it does though, i just want you guys to know you are some of my best friends
*group hug*
*joins in on the group hug*
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

*joins it too*
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

*GLOMPZ!*
Like one beautiful anthem said:
"United forever, in friendship and labour"
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I already knew that PPG and Foster's were actually made by Craig; I did only recently find out that he and Lauren Faust were married though. And together, they are truly one of the most talented couples of all time. :D
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

KJOokami wrote:I already knew that PPG and Foster's were actually made by Craig; I did only recently find out that he and Lauren Faust were married though. And together, they are truly one of the most talented couples of all time. :D
Well I did know that he created those shows, I just forgot for a little while. then wiki told me they were married and I was all like, "awesome"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Now remember people, we don't want to move too far the other way now and downplay the role the Lady Faust played in these shows. She still worked in roles such as writer, artist, directer, storyboard artist, character designer, animation directer, and story editor for Foster's, for example.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Bering incorrectly misinformed by multiple review websites in'st fun XD
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

The Growlmon is forgiven.

Anyway they didn't wreck much fanon today.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

as for today's episode, I kinda expected to see Discord...Maybe next episode...
BTW, what's wrong with the writters? They clearly said (inside of the story) that the play was about the creation of equestrias BEFORE Luna and Celestia anbd they used the princesses as the flag?

And that's why I think THIS is a much better version of equestria's foundation
http://shimmerpaw.deviantart.com/art/Me ... -259410740

The artist updates about 4 pages every two weeks or so. there are 28 so far.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Foxstar wrote:It was a 'fad' in the US. But in Japan where it was born, it's become as much of a part of the culture as Gundam has, (Which is saying a lot). It's a name brand now that even after all the drama of stolen overpriced cards and Pokemania has died down has a very dedicated fanbase, Many of the folks who grew up with it now have kids of their own to pass it on to. And on it goes.

While the MLP brand is anything but a fad, IMHO, the massive growth in fanbase and fan output so far has yet to prove that it is more then a fad. It's not the one or two year marks that determine if something is a fad, it's 3-5-10+ years down the road. If I turn 40 and EQdaily is still around, if the various Ponychans are still active, if there are still cons and viewing parties going on, then to me, it will have passed fad status. But I just don't see that happening. With LF having moved on to other projects and more people who won't be around for season three, I don't see how the growth and meme status of FiM can endure, when every week we have hundreds and hundreds of bronies critically analyzing every new up and voting if it is as good as season 1. While for now it stands strong, a split and dying down of growth is on the way and may even happen before Season 2 wraps up if for no other reason then too many bronies have placed FiM on a pedastool that it can't possibly stay on.
As Brent said, the quotes around "just a fad" were supposed to imply it didn't turn out to be the case, and it has actually had quite a deep cultural impact even over in the west. I mean, you can't say it was merely a fad when you see a father bonding with his child over Squirtle. (I have seen this and it completely made my day!)

Besides that, I agree with you in terms of it having to last more than just a couple of years, and I agree that it might not last (after all, I only said I wouldn't mind if it did last, not necessarily that I thought it would). I think what decides whether or not it lasts is the fan material. To compare, Pokémon was everywhere. It was on TV, in movies, video games, trading card games, comics, plush toys – if you can think of a commercial product, there was a Pokémon version. While MLP may have a similar repertoire with merchandising (MLP bed sheets, MLP toothbrushes), FiM specifically (which is the only form of it that managed to break gender and age barriers) is really just a TV show – I don't doubt there are attempts to merchandise it, but it's not anywhere near as cross-media as Pokémon is, nor anywhere near as successful. Instead, it's the fans that are making the games and the comics and the websites and the music and so on. If those fan ventures are successful and continue to pull in even more fans, then I think bronies have a chance of making the mark and having an actual cultural impact. If they're not, then it will surely die. Pokémon has its own multitude of fan works, but as a fanbase, people don't have to rely on that for new content, whereas with FiM people will eventually have to rely solely on fan material for new content.

Whatever the case, Flutterwonder is still going to be a decent song even if MLP's fandom dies out.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

There are going to be times when fanon is built stronger then canon, this is true. But you have to remember, it's still a girls cartoon, they aren't going to pour the time and energy into world building like a bunch of rabid fans.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Well yeah, which is why it's up in the air. The fans could, it's just whether or not they will.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

the WORD OF FAUST concerning Spike's story
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well, what Faust said there kinda messes up how I've treated the pair in my fan fiction, but oh well. Nice of her to say that her personal story isn't totally canon though. So...fanon+ I guess we could call it?

Also, I loved today's episode. The writing was just phenomenal, and the visual humor had me rolling. Plus, those windigos were freaking awesome!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This episode was fantastic! I loved Applejack's sarcasm. It was really much-needed. She hasn't done anything awesome in a while!
angelusbr wrote:the WORD OF FAUST concerning Spike's story
I think "Word of Faust" should be an actual term. It's like super-fanon; it supersedes all other explanations, but it is still possible to be overwritten with true canon or Word of God.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

If Spike sees Celestia as a mom and IF (major emphasys on the if) Celestia sees Spike as an adopted child, Spike is more of a prince than Blueblood is.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Derpy's name is official.
Yes, I am very happy. :D
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not unambiguously canon, but it's good enough for me. I'm really glad, honestly.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

OMG Derpy waved at the audience (aka US)
Star Swirl the Bearded reference

i get the feeling they improvised much of the play. i would call that a terrible idea, but it was still funny
also as for why there was no Celestia or Luna in the story, i would suppose it was just a story some play-write wrote that got really popular, so everypony else just went with it

also OMG PONY RACISM
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I finally watched the new episode.

I hope that was a historically accurate representation of the founding of Equestria. I like the thought that the founders were pretty much exactly like the mane 6.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

http://egophiliac.deviantart.com/art/an ... -274426120
this is amazing for a fan of any generation mlp

also i was reading through the Allspark forums, and found this very interesting post about the episode
i think you should read it (i put it in a google document for convenience sake)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_gp ... NvMyM/edit
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

More of Word of Faust
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I like this.

on a related note, I think both Derpy and Pinkie have usurped RD as my favorite pony.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yay Pinkie! But why Derpy? Just for being cute?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well Pinkie is the main one. Derpy is mostly just my favorite mostly fan character. I just had to have a way to make that be on a related note. :lol:

also, Alex S's youtube got shut down due to copyright complaints from obviously fake names.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Whaaaat? But there's not even any episodes hosted! All he did was make excellent music...
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

which is why the claims were fake. one of those names was a dirty joke involving Hitler's first name.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

*facehoof*
i hate trolls
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

I can't tell if the Pinkie one was posted here so if it was just yell at me and I'll pull it off.
Heavy image post!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
bwah bwah
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Suddenly, I feel really bad for Twilight Sparkle. On the other hoof, it looks like she put up a surprisingly good fight against RD in that last pic, if the missing teeth and blackened eye are any indication.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Poor Twilight. I wonder if that artist actually hates Twilight, or just wanted to be silly.

Either way, nice drawings. Very dynamic.