Favorite Panel

Discuss the comic here
NHWestoN

Re: Favorite Panel

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:^ You might be right Rufus did make a phone call before he left the farm with Maxwell.

I loved Grape and Max’s expressions in the last panel of the last strip of “The Maxwell Thing” .

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... retelling/

Rex and Dallas also have wonderful reactions (Rex has really turned in such a sensitive soul - would be fun to see him spotlighted for a turn or two).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No kidding that it would be. Can you say "Rex's Kitten and Pup Daycare Services" as the name of a future arc? :lol:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...and Halloween's comin' up.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
In a similar vein, and I can't find it now, the Halloween one where Fox and Karishad switch colorations. It's wonderful because it's so subtle.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to wonder where Karishad got the idea to do that from? LOL
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
In a similar vein, and I can't find it now, the Halloween one where Fox and Karishad switch colorations. It's wonderful because it's so subtle.
Halloween Interlude
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I love imagining the next day Fox discovering the paint doesn't come off.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I love the whole panel. Bailey and King are sweet Princess Peach as and Mario respectively.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just realized that the Mario costume that King is in has the colors of his shirt and overalls switched like in the television show.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I was flipping through Year 3 and had to share this gem.

Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really do hope that they do bring Actor Dog back someday but that seems unlikely. :cry:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

does he have a name? if not he should be Wright, since his tag is the copyright symbol.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:does he have a name? if not he should be Wright, since his tag is the copyright symbol.
OBJECTION!!!... Should be the first line out of his mouth and I feel bad for you if you don't know what is being referenced
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since the Wiki that SuperStar updates has him listed as "Actor Dog", I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a name.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I do love his slightly incredulous look here. And I guess someone feels bad for me because I'm not sure what's being referenced here either...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm assuming he looks like that because he doesn't know what the crap is going on. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I really do hope that they do bring Actor Dog back someday but that seems unlikely. :cry:
Not to mention Colleen, Karo, and Skip the Hawk!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah I am sort of thinking that all of those characters are one-offs and we won't ever have them show up unless they do in a Guest Week comic.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Yeah I am sort of thinking that all of those characters are one-offs and we won't ever have them show up unless they do in a Guest Week comic.
I agree. Colleen and Karo mirror Duchess and Bino who are already very well developed. Rick does occasionally bring out such characters but one-joke one-offs (Jasper and Jinx) or duplicates that fail to find a niche (Rodney and Snow) just disappear. Skip could be a character like Tiberius the Falcon in "Secret Lives of Pets" but Rick probably thinks Jessica's treehouse has enough tenants. And bird don't seem to thrive in Rick's world. But … it IS Rick's world, so who knows? Maybe Skip could transform into a sadistic gym teacher...…... ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Yeah I am sort of thinking that all of those characters are one-offs and we won't ever have them show up unless they do in a Guest Week comic.
I agree. Colleen and Karo mirror Duchess and Bino who are already very well developed. Rick does occasionally bring out such characters but one-joke one-offs (Jasper and Jinx) or duplicates that fail to find a niche (Rodney and Snow) just disappear. Skip could be a character like Tiberius the Falcon in "Secret Lives of Pets" but Rick probably thinks Jessica's treehouse has enough tenants. And bird don't seem to thrive in Rick's world. But … it IS Rick's world, so who knows? Maybe Skip could transform into a sadistic gym teacher...…... ;)
The problem (if you can call it that) is that Rick has an enormous number of characters. That's great in a way because he doesn't need to slot a character into the wrong role. Think if he didn't have an already established group of geeks for use in Temple Crashers. He could have pulled other characters in, but it might have felt wrong. I'm sure when he needed a dog to chase Marion up a tree, Kevin was an easy choice. Using Bailey or Fido or really even Bino would have felt off. He's got a cast with a huge range of motivations, abilities, intelligence, etc.

The downside is that we all have favorite characters and even some side characters who we want to see again even though they've had limited strip time to date. I, personally, would love to see Terrance again. Its always fun to see the raccoons, even if we may not see any of them for a year or more.

As for birds? He's got Trinket who has had a small but important role in a couple of arcs. I think he may be the most established of any of the avians we've seen.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Admittedly, I was a bit surprised that Fox's partner was a whole new character in Mungo rather than Terrence especially since he made it into the K-9 poster.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Admittedly, I was a bit surprised that Fox's partner was a whole new character in Mungo rather than Terrence especially since he made it into the K-9 poster.
I suspect what we already knew about Terrance didn't fit the story that Rick had in mind. It definitely would have played out a lot differently since Fox and Terrance likely are similarly strong. Also, I think that arc needed someone pretty unfamiliar with Fox. And Mungo wasn't a totally new character, he was in the wedding scene before he was even named (I understand that his tag was added later).

I've wondered if Terrance is even a patrol dog since the Aztec arc. He was present in a non-speaking role when Joel is arrested, but later he's supposed to be the forensics liaison.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know he was at Kingley's wedding but I still consider him a new character since he wasn't fleshed out back then.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It's less a favorite panel but two since they go together. But the two right panels just crack me up.

Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So it would be a section that is your favorite instead of your favorite panel? ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, the first panel is pretty funny, too...….
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm very much wondering if Falstaff was sat on as a baby now. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm very much wondering if Falstaff was sat on as a baby now. :lol:

Might explain some things.... :shock:
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You mean Marion freezing his tail off after he took a nice large dip in a dirty toilet? :lol:
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You mean Marion freezing his tail off after he took a nice large dip in a dirty toilet? :lol:
Oh come on, I'm not that awful... :D No, it's what Marion's saying that makes me like it, just how serious they are about it, yet how silly what they're saying is. "Start a dynasty of squirrel emperors," "meet our enemies in mortal combat," come on, Marion. :)

The sad thing is, though, that I can relate to that feeling of, "well, the world hates me, I give up and now I'm just spurting nonsense," I've done it a time or ten. I'm fine, but I know his pain.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that it wasn't gonna be that. Just pointing out that was what happened in that panel. :lol:
mrjaco

Post by mrjaco »

Not really because when I think "burritos", my next thought is "toilet".
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I like the last 2 panels of this one. Very Looney Toonsesque.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sir Chestnut wrote:I like the last 2 panels of this one. Very Looney Toonsesque.

In All Quiet on the Western Front, soldiers often used their shovels as weapons of last resort. We had an old Austrian WWI vet who lived in our town. When I asked him about that, he said they used to sharpen one side of the shovel even though you'd be punished if the officers caught you. He said the Russians and Italians - the folks the Austrians fought - did it, too.

For what that's worth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You think that blow to the head would have made her nicer...
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

She has a hard head, I think. I like those panels too.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You think that blow to the head would have made her nicer...
I think it would have made her comatose.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I love King’s face in the third panel.