74%
No
26%

Total votes: 149

DarkHeartsAndSuch

Re: POLL: So... Who here's a furry?

Post by DarkHeartsAndSuch »

Sleet wrote:
Tobee wrote:People who hates furries mostly have just stupid reasons...

I think they don't like furries because furries are different, and not like them.

(I am also a furry, and I don't care if others call me a ****** or whatever :>)
People usually have stupid reasons for hating any group of people. As for furries, it's just a peer pressure thing. People dislike furries because it's the "cool" thing on the internet, and 9 times out of 10 the only person who stands up for furries is an actual furry, and who cares what they think? They're furries after all. [/Viscous Cycle] I would know, since I didn't have too sunny of an opinion until I started thinking for myself and ultimately turned to the other side.
It's like the "Come to the dark side, we've got cookies," thing. Only they're (Non-furries) the dark side and we're the light.
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

Sleet wrote:
Tobee wrote:People who hates furries mostly have just stupid reasons...

I think they don't like furries because furries are different, and not like them.

(I am also a furry, and I don't care if others call me a ****** or whatever :>)
People usually have stupid reasons for hating any group of people. As for furries, it's just a peer pressure thing. People dislike furries because it's the "cool" thing on the internet, and 9 times out of 10 the only person who stands up for furries is an actual furry, and who cares what they think? They're furries after all. [/Viscous Cycle] I would know, since I didn't have too sunny of an opinion until I started thinking for myself and ultimately turned to the other side.
Doesn't apply to trolls. Everyone hates trolls for a good reason. x)
And no, people don't hate furries because it's the "cool" thing on the internet. They hate furries because of how they conduct themselves on the internet. Not all furries conduct themselves this way, but about 90% of the furries I've seen in servers and websites do. I'd give a few examples, but I don't think they can be openly discussed amongst this forum.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh, I fully know how that is. Trolls are only just barely more irritating than the furries (or anyone really) who practically ask to be trolled with the way they behave themselves. Such individuals are very abundant among furries. But that's still not justification for hating a whole group, naturally, so my point about having stupid reasons to hate people still stands.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Let's just keep this on an okay level and not get this topic locked :3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

The Game wrote:
GameCobra wrote:The Definition of furry for me is one that loves cute, furry animals.

the problem is that some people have to joke about it to the point it can be overlooked badly.

In my case, i like felions the most. so yes, i'm a furry =P
oh, then with a definition like that, i am a furry
dangit, i should thought about this more 'fore i answered.
Well, I wouldn't peg yourself quite yet. Do you like cute animals because they're cute, or because they're animals?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
The Game

Post by The Game »

'Cause they're cute I guess....wait no, I like them cuz they're cute AND animals
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

The Game wrote:'Cause they're cute I guess....wait no, I like them cuz they're cute AND animals
You might be borderline, by my definition. Do you like talking animals in reading material over humans?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
The Game

Post by The Game »

um, I'm going to have to say humans on that one. However in comics, i like talking animals better. Most comics anyway...
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

The Game wrote:um, I'm going to have to say humans on that one. However in comics, i like talking animals better. Most comics anyway...
Well, I guess it's really up to you, then. You could be called either way, I suppose, but it's really about whether YOU think you're a furry or not.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Teh Brawler wrote:
The Game wrote:'Cause they're cute I guess....wait no, I like them cuz they're cute AND animals
You might be borderline, by my definition. Do you like talking animals in reading material over humans?
In reading material, I prefer talking animals.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
The Game

Post by The Game »

Teh Brawler wrote:
The Game wrote:um, I'm going to have to say humans on that one. However in comics, i like talking animals better. Most comics anyway...
Well, I guess it's really up to you, then. You could be called either way, I suppose, but it's really about whether YOU think you're a furry or not.
so I'ma half-fur? Or a halfurry? Furalf???
Whatever, I already voted.
Adzo
Location: The twised parallel reality of my own mind, my mind is in Scotland at the moment

Post by Adzo »

A definate yes for me. Art of the furry variety, and anything cute, it's all good.
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

Teh Brawler wrote: You might be borderline, by my definition. Do you like talking animals in reading material over humans?
... Y'know, maybe it's just me, but my first reaction was, 'When was the last time something I read even had talking animals in it?' xD
RG; Seb & Dahlia
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Post by DarkHeartsAndSuch »

Vadiant wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote: You might be borderline, by my definition. Do you like talking animals in reading material over humans?
... Y'know, maybe it's just me, but my first reaction was, 'When was the last time something I read even had talking animals in it?' xD
The closest book I've read to have talking animals in it would be catching fire, but the talking animals there are like parrots, they're supposed to be able to talk...
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:
Vadiant wrote:
The closest book I've read to have talking animals in it would be catching fire, but the talking animals there are like parrots, they're supposed to be able to talk...
Well, I count reading material as books, comics, short stories, and stuff like that. I probably should have included tv shows, movies, and general art.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I say enough humans. :P
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
The Game

Post by The Game »

DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:
Vadiant wrote:
OMYGOSH I love that book. Also, they're are mockingjays, not parrots.
And what about Alice in Wonderland? or Gregor the Overlander?
Jack

Post by Jack »

i read alice in wonderland recently! both the first part and "through the looking glass". its waaaaaay better then any movie of it.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

The new alice in wodnerland looks kinda scary.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Typhon wrote:The new alice in wodnerland looks kinda scary.
Yeah, Tim Burton's movies tend to look scary. Well, actually, they tend to be scary. (kinda. They're at least emo-ish, in a good way.)
That's not to say it's a bad movie, I enjoyed it. I just think that most of the hype is because Johnny Depp plays the Mad Hatter. Even though he plays crazy people really well!

Also, on staying on topic, I told one of my friends IRL that I was furry. Although it was on Facebook, and he's a furry himself. But it's still a good step for me! Oh, and he said he'd check Housepets out! Woot!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My friends have pretty much figured me out too, though it was never said directly. They affectionately teased me a little bit but it wasn't treated like a big deal. Which it's not.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Sleet wrote:My friends have pretty much figured me out too, though it was never said directly. They affectionately teased me a little bit but it wasn't treated like a big deal. Which it's not.
In all honesty, most people just don't care...unless you're a lifestyler fur. Or one of those crazy otherkin people. It's when you start wearing tails and ears to school...that's when your friends start looking at you funny. If it's not Halloween or tail day or something, that is. But yeah, there is the occasional offhand tease, which I really don't mind.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I don't understand why you'd get teased for liking the concept of furries in art.
Unless you actually go around obsessing over it rather than just having preference for it =P.
But yeah, as was said, on the internet it is "cool" to dislike furries.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Basically I think furries think too much about being furries. The fact that furries think of themselves as being furries only reinforces an us-and-them attitude. Furries identify themselves by their enjoyment of anthropomorphism, which I think is ridiculous. The only group I've seen that does that kind of thing more than furries are political activists, and even then, not by much. Come on, I loved Calvin and Hobbes just as much as the next guy.

So, I'm not a furry when it comes down to it. Really, I just don't give a toss - I don't mind when someone calls me a furry, and I do not have any qualms about people having a furry persona (I do have qualms about people who merely port their true personality into an anthropomorphic animal, though - it completely defeats the purpose of having a persona you derps), for example. But essentially, I don't see the point of a cohesive group of 'furries' even existing in the first place. I can see why groups of mutual interests meet up and form a community, but I can't see why this group in particular has become what it's become (utterly insane, on a good day).

tl;dr: I voted 'no'.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Buckdida wrote:
Sleet wrote: If it's not Halloween or tail day or something, that is.
There's a Tail Day? Wow, there's a day for everything.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ain't a furry, either. They eat all my Cap'n Crunch.
Dr. Prower wrote:
Buckdida wrote:
Sleet wrote: If it's not Halloween or tail day or something, that is.
There's a Tail Day? Wow, there's a day for everything.
Don't forget Towel Day.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Towelie says don't forget to bring a towel!
Jack

Post by Jack »

ooh! i brought a towel to school on towel day! fun!

*ahem* i actually do bring a tail and a collar to places, but only in social events. i used to bring it to school, but then my teachers got mad. anywho, i don't feel any religious connection to the animal my fursona is, i just like the animal and i think it represents some of my qualities, thats all.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Well this is an odd topic for me...mainly because after I started the roleplay I thought "I guess I'm a furry". Soon after that I began reserching across many webpages what makes a furry. Now, I don't think myself as a furry. Even though I've been Reading many furry webcomics since housepets! Weird world.

Also furry is an adjective and a noun... what happened Here?

Hehe... A furry furry...
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

44R0NM10 wrote:Hehe... A furry furry...
LOL XD
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

44R0NM10 wrote:Well this is an odd topic for me...mainly because after I started the roleplay I thought "I guess I'm a furry". Soon after that I began reserching across many webpages what makes a furry. Now, I don't think myself as a furry. Even though I've been Reading many furry webcomics since housepets! Weird world.

Also furry is an adjective and a noun... what happened Here?

Hehe... A furry furry...
The constant evolution of the English language. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

To me, furry generally carries a negative connotation. Maybe that's because all the self proclaimed furries iv been around were into, less than child friendly material.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Typhon wrote:To me, furry generally carries a negative connotation. Maybe that's because all the self proclaimed furries iv been around were into, less than child friendly material.
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be that way. You can be a furry and not like the more, let's say mature, side of it.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Once somebody called me a furry when he saw me Reading this comic... I think the conversation wen something like this:

"hehe... you're a furry"
"and if I am, you aren't insulting me but calling me by a title. I could jut as easily call you a gamer in a harsh tone and that could be taken as an insult."
"yeah...I guess you're right"

we're been friends for a long time...

On the other hand I'm still biased on extremists...I'm no hater, but I find it hard to trust them. Upon thinking this through (thank Ebly) I think it's because the facial expression never changes and I can't see the person inside giving me a sense of curiousity. I wouldn't call it a fear (thank Ebly) but still I feel less calm.
Zander

Post by Zander »

44R0NM10 wrote:Once somebody called me a furry when he saw me Reading this comic... I think the conversation wen something like this:

"hehe... you're a furry"
"and if I am, you aren't insulting me but calling me by a title. I could jut as easily call you a gamer in a harsh tone and that could be taken as an insult."
"yeah...I guess you're right"

we're been friends for a long time...

On the other hand I'm still biased on extremists...I'm no hater, but I find it hard to trust them. Upon thinking this through (thank Ebly) I think it's because the facial expression never changes and I can't see the person inside giving me a sense of curiousity. I wouldn't call it a fear (thank Ebly) but still I feel less calm.
these girls were around me in school, and my "friend" walked up to me and almost blatantly called me a "Furry" and then proceeded to say "Yeah, he likes animals"
and the girls turned to me and were like "I LOVE animals!" and then walked away beside me. my friend was left alone.
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

when i told my friends i was a furry,
the first one said, : wtf is a furry?
the second said: du..
third one said: do you draw Bic ballpoint pen?

I have a T-shirt with the text: "if you think i'm strange you should see my friends" for a good reason :P
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Zander wrote:these girls were around me in school, and my "friend" walked up to me and almost blatantly called me a "Furry" and then proceeded to say "Yeah, he likes animals"
and the girls turned to me and were like "I LOVE animals!" and then walked away beside me. my friend was left alone.
Girls love animals cause they're cute.
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

I just like cute animal cartoons. ;_;
Dr. Prower wrote:Girls love animals cause they're cute.
*shake fist*
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Buckdida wrote:In all honesty, most people just don't care...unless you're a lifestyler fur. Or one of those crazy otherkin people. It's when you start wearing tails and ears to school...that's when your friends start looking at you funny. If it's not Halloween or tail day or something, that is. But yeah, there is the occasional offhand tease, which I really don't mind.
This is generally true. The geek crew at my high school knew I was a fur and they didn't care and were in fact pretty okay with that, especially since I was one of the better cartoonists in school.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

Do you like cute animals because they're cute, or because they're animals? ... Do you like talking animals in reading material over humans?
While those are certainly better than most of the "Are you a furry" questions I've seen, I don't think they're conclusive. I'd say "Because they're cute" and "Humans", but I'm still a furry. The reason I like cute animals is because they're cute, but I don't find human babies cute, so that can still be a 'furry' answer. As for the reading material one, I'd plump human because I like realism. My favourite characters, however, have always been the talking animals in books. Gaspode and Pantalaimon, for example, followed by werewolf characters. That doesn't mean I want all my characters to be talking animals. Humans are good for me because they are... normal, I guess. If the world itself is supposed to be normal, fill it with normal, human characters.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, it's really not meant to. Just saying that those questions don't pin-point non-furries :p
Basically I think furries think too much about being furries.
Completely true. However;
The only group I've seen that does that kind of thing more than furries are political activists, and even then, not by much.
I think that's because there's a lot behind it for a lot of furries. Let's face it, the views most furries have are not the most popular, generally strongly environmentalist/animal rights/BGLT rights etc. It's also a very nerdy subculture, so most furries, myself included, aren't the most popular people in real life. The 'community', as I see it, are brought together over a pretty arbitrary interest (Ie; talking animals) but get acceptance on a lot of issues they don't get accepted for in RL. Also, the 'fursonas' thing, which I also find quite weird sometimes, is mostly used in my experience so that people will like that person for who they are, and not what they look like, sound like or, necessarily, how well they interact socially.

That's how I see it anyhow ^^