Music.

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Alex

Re: Music.

Post by Alex »

machchunk wrote:There were 3 links; could you be more specific? Possibly with the adjectives too.
Oh, there really are three links.... the first time, I clicked A) and the second link under B). But now I listened to the first one you described bad, too... and yeah, it is bad xD

And Forty Six, I'd love to see Mötley Crue! I'm really starting to like them. What's your favorite song by them? Mine is still Live Wire :P

(But I find the Live Wire by ACDC much better, thank you)
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Forty Six & 2
Location: On the streets, checkin out this forum on a stolen iPhone.

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

Alex wrote:
And Forty Six, I'd love to see Mötley Crue! I'm really starting to like them. What's your favorite song by them? Mine is still Live Wire :P

(But I find the Live Wire by ACDC much better, thank you)
As much as I hate to sound like I like their really popular songs, mine would have to be Dr. Feelgood, lol. I just don't like mainstream stuff, but that's my fav song by them.
Off the Air.
Image You'll be going like this the whole time.
Dakotah- S5, P7, E7, C5, I6, A6, L4
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

what on earth is wrong with liking popular songs

you know, the most individual thing you could probably do is to enjoy an array of things irrespective of their popularity
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with liking popular things, but it does correlate to trend-following and lack of individuality, hence people are hesitant to admit it in fear of being judged according to that tendency.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sleet wrote:There is nothing intrinsically wrong with liking popular things, but it does correlate to trend-following and lack of individuality, hence people are hesitant to admit it in fear of being judged according to that tendency.
But the rebellion against popular culture ends up looking all the same anyway.

To the point where people who are against the popular culture acknowledge that trend and joke about it ironically.

I never did understand hipsters.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I just listen to what I like to listen too, if something new comes out that I like I'll listen to that too.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Forty Six & 2

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

I never said I hated mainstream music, in fact, like half of the bands I listen to are pretty popular, System of a Down, Tool, Korn, Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, The Offspring, etc. They're all pretty popular. I do like music that is less popular too, but I also listen to mainstream stuff. I just find it annoying if you ask someone if they like a band and they only name off their popular stuff, it's like, they're not really fan (If you ask for my opinion though). I like music not only for the sound, but for the meaning of the songs too and what the band stands for.
Off the Air.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Forty Six tells somewhat the truth. Although I think that you can say that you listen to a band if you don't know all their songs, but knowing just their most popular stuff... that can't really mean you listen to the band, just to a few songs by the band. Take for example AC/DC - many people know Highway to Hell, T.N.T. & Thunderstruck. They're their most popular songs. If someone loves those songs and listens to them, can you say that he's listening to AC/DC? No. But you also can't hate that person because of that. He's just got some songs in his playlist that he likes. Heck, even I have many one-hit-wonders in my playlist, meaning just one song by a band, for example, Losing My Religion by REM.

Now, I'm not one of those people who think that most popular means best song. The three songs I listed by AC/DC are by far not their best songs. My favorite is The Razor's Edge, a not-so popular song. (And I love all their other stuff, too, they're just great).

However, there are people who say that they listen to a band, but just know one or two songs by them. That is annoying. Very annoying. There are a lot of people I know who say that their favorite band is Metallica, but they know just Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman. Those people are so dumb =\

TL;DR - it's okay to listen to just one or more songs by a band if you love them, but in that case it's not okay to claim that you listen to that band.
Richarson Valley

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I wholeheartedly agree with Alex.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You can still like a band and only have heard their most popular stuff. It gets bad, however, when people are like, "oh my God _____ is the best band ever" after hearing their charting singles and nothing more. It just comes down to liking a series of songs but never getting around to hearing more.
Forty Six & 2 wrote:I never said I hated mainstream music, in fact, like half of the bands I listen to are pretty popular, System of a Down, Tool, Korn, Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, The Offspring, etc. They're all pretty popular. I do like music that is less popular too, but I also listen to mainstream stuff. I just find it annoying if you ask someone if they like a band and they only name off their popular stuff, it's like, they're not really fan (If you ask for my opinion though). I like music not only for the sound, but for the meaning of the songs too and what the band stands for.
Uhh...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

There's a band I have started listening to called Cage The Elephant. I had heard their single "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" and fell in love, I figured they only have one album so I'll give all their other songs a try. I now love every single song they have made.
Forty Six & 2

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

Sleet wrote:You can still like a band and only have heard their most popular stuff. It gets bad, however, when people are like, "oh my God _____ is the best band ever" after hearing their charting singles and nothing more. It just comes down to liking a series of songs but never getting around to hearing more.
Forty Six & 2 wrote:I never said I hated mainstream music, in fact, like half of the bands I listen to are pretty popular, System of a Down, Tool, Korn, Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, The Offspring, etc. They're all pretty popular. I do like music that is less popular too, but I also listen to mainstream stuff. I just find it annoying if you ask someone if they like a band and they only name off their popular stuff, it's like, they're not really fan (If you ask for my opinion though). I like music not only for the sound, but for the meaning of the songs too and what the band stands for.
Uhh...
I couldn't help but laugh a little, I didn't have Limp on my mind when I said that. When I said "I like the meaning of the songs and what the band stands for" I was thinking more of NOFX, Propagandhi, Nirvana (Also popular band), Blue October and Tool(Both Blue October and Tool are pretty popular). I know, Limp Bizkit probably isn't a good example, lol. But I like the bands I mentioned above and what they write about. NOFX and Propagandhi, especially what they stand for.
Off the Air.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I tend to dislike what many otherwise good bands stand for, but in such cases I just ignore the message and enjoy the rest.
Forty Six & 2

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

Yeah, you'll find some bands that you don't agree with 100%, but still that's fine, there's plenty of bands like that that I listen to.
Off the Air.
Forty Six & 2

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

My friend got me into this band called Deadsun, they're not really popular, but they are still sweet. I guess he found out about this band because his dad taught the guitarist of this band how to play guitar, which is pretty cool. I reccomend checking them out, I think they're pretty sweet, here's a song by them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQ0MEE1 ... re=related
Off the Air.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

I've always viewed music as a purely auditory experience. What the band stands for, what the lyrics mean, the political positions of the band members, etc, are a total non-factor for my enjoyment or non-enjoyment of music.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I've just started listening to S.O.A.D for the first time in a few years.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm glad I don't like them musically, because if I did, I would have a hard time putting up with their antics.
Senator_Sunburst

I never cared for them either. Which is why I'm also not impressed with Scars on Broadway. My friends have been listening to them a lot and I just am like "uggggh."
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

On the subject of "oh my god they're the best band ever" before listening to the rest of their music: I liked Chairlift. Then I heard the rest of Does You Inspire You.

Never again will I do that.

Popular songs have to be given some merit in the sense that there is a reason they are popular in the first place. Whether it's marketing or it's sound or what, there's still a reason, and they have to be given respect for that reason, even if they're a jerk or their music sucks crap. (Both a la everything brawlyboy listens to)
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

One-hit wonder bands bother me.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dubiousity wrote:One-hit wonder bands bother me.
But why? If that one song that's called a "hit" is good, then I'll listen to it. If the rest of their songs suck, I won't listen to it, but I won't say that I like the band, but just that one song. Really, if the band writes and plays only sucky stuff, then you should be happy for them that they have that one hit, to make a name for themselves.
Richarson Valley

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Alex wrote:
But why? If that one song that's called a "hit" is good, then I'll listen to it. If the rest of their songs suck, I won't listen to it, but I won't say that I like the band, but just that one song. Really, if the band writes and plays only sucky stuff, then you should be happy for them that they have that one hit, to make a name for themselves.
It just makes you wonder how a band could only gain fame for ONE good song, and find no way to replicate success with any more of them, I find that to be absolutely rediculous.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not like they set out to only make one popular song. It just happens that way. I think a lot of the time they just use their best ideas on one song. That, or the world of popular music has already passed them up by the time they make more good music.

Besides, making You Get What You Give alone is sufficient to make New Radicals awesome, even without writing any other good songs.
Forty Six & 2

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

Well, it's not like their one hit song is their best. There are so many other songs that are much better than hit songs with bands IMO, just give a try to their other stuff and realize how good they are, and I love System of a Down, lol.
Off the Air.
Senator_Sunburst

All the talk of Rage Against the Machine in the worst songs thread has made me want to endorse Bionic Jive. Because they're awesome.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Heard MGMT for the first time last night. I am accepting iTunes gift cards at this time. Please. :shock:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Dubiousity wrote:
Alex wrote:
It just makes you wonder how a band could only gain fame for ONE good song, and find no way to replicate success with any more of them, I find that to be absolutely rediculous.
Too ra loo ra too ra loo ra le
and we can sing just like our fathers
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Most of these bands end up selling lackluster second albums and the slowly fade from the limelight, and eventually turn into one of those "Hey, you know that one song, who made it again?" situations.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ebly wrote:Too ra loo ra too ra loo ra le
and we can sing just like our fathers
My friend loves that song. It's pretty rad, I suppose.

I think the difference between a one-hit-wonder and a band with a breakout hit is that a one-hit-wonder doesn't have a significant niche fanbase, whereas bands like Rammstein (which has been called a one-hit-wonder) do.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

You understand what I'm talking about though, right?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah, I do. They run out of steam because they used all their good ideas on one song.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Kinda makes me feel bad though.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh3WCzKDQbU

I love this song, although it is swedish so I most of you won't understand! x3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Forty Six & 2

Post by Forty Six & 2 »

Off the Air.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

In order to expand my music world a little bit I just bought And the Glass Handed Kites by Mew. It's pretty good, I must say. Very soothing and emotional.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I finally got around to getting Writer's Block. I've heard a bunch about Peter, Bjorn & John but I never could be bothered keeping an eye out for it. Turns out I was missing out.

If you guys have any of their other albums, what do you reckon of them? I'm curious but I don't know if they're one of those bands where you get one good album and the rest are kind of blah.
Senator_Sunburst

I have just discovered the joys of Hyper Crush. What they were thinking ever touring with Millionaires I have no idea. That is all.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

*is still listening to his metal*
Zander

Post by Zander »

*made his first music in fl studio*

yays!
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson