2014/10/31 - Pop (Rocks) Culture

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: 2014/10/31 - Pop (Rocks) Culture

Post by Foxstar »

As this is rapidly moving into a region which would have me ending up coming down on folks like a bag of bricks, I must request that you move away from that region right -now-
Sam-the-cat

Post by Sam-the-cat »

Foxstar wrote:As this is rapidly moving into a region which would have me ending up coming down on folks like a bag of bricks, I must request that you move away from that region right -now-
Your remark sounds spooky and I have no clue what you mean or refer to. Would you mind telling what this is about?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Cartman's use of gay actually is rather offensive and even intended to be so. He uses it as a pejorative to say something is bad, which is unkind to people who identify as gay. ;)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sam-the-cat wrote:
Foxstar wrote:As this is rapidly moving into a region which would have me ending up coming down on folks like a bag of bricks, I must request that you move away from that region right -now-
Your remark sounds spooky and I have no clue what you mean or refer to. Would you mind telling what this is about?
Basically? A moderator is telling you to get back to the topic of the cartoon.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Sam-the-cat

Post by Sam-the-cat »

Come on, that's definitely not the way I mean it. I tried to make that clear in my remark 'no disrespect'.

I live in a gay-friendly country (The Netherlands, you know, we invented gay marriage), some of my family and many of my friends are gay. I never perceived Cartman's use of the word as offensive, it sounded innocent (and somewhat stupid) to me. That's why I said it. But apparently it does not sound innocent to everybody. Yet another cultural difference between the States and my country?

Is this what the commotion is about?

If people have a problem with what I'm saying, I would prefer if they would ask a question or try to explain in calm words what they find offending. Then I can explain and we can defuse possible misunderstandings. I do not like intimidating remarks and emotional vagueness. In an international setting on a text base medium, misunderstandings will happen and hopefully do not develop into needless hostility.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Sam-the-cat wrote:Come on, that's definitely not the way I mean it. I tried to make that clear in my remark 'no disrespect'.

I live in a gay-friendly country (The Netherlands, you know, we invented gay marriage), some of my family and many of my friends are gay. I never perceived Cartman's use of the word as offensive, it sounded innocent (and somewhat stupid) to me. That's why I said it. But apparently it does not sound innocent to everybody. Yet another cultural difference between the States and my country?

Is this what the commotion is about?

If people have a problem with what I'm saying, I would prefer if they would ask a question or try to explain in calm words what they find offending. Then I can explain and we can defuse possible misunderstandings. I do not like intimidating remarks and emotional vagueness. In an international setting on a text base medium, misunderstandings will happen and hopefully do not develop into needless hostility.
Yes, homosexuality is a very controversial topic over here with strong feelings on both sides. Since this is a multinational forum (with quite a few Americans), it is treated much the same as the topics of religion and politics. We just don't want the forums to become a battleground of debate and vitriol (especially in the Comic forum).
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Which is why Foxstar made his post. So let us all please heed his advice and move back to the topic of conversation for which this thread was made, and if you have further questions you may direct them to a moderator via PM.
Thank you for your cooperation :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How much do you wanna bet Peanut already ate through his stash of candy?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You're likely right about Peanut going through his Halloween haul quite quickly, but we've seen he's an adept accumulator (and trader) of goodies, so I'd not be surprised if, in the end, Peanut has a never-ending stash of snacks.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Even though I already gave my input on it, I feel the need to ask:

What do y'all think King and his crew were doing for Halloween?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dissension wrote:You're likely right about Peanut going through his Halloween haul quite quickly, but we've seen he's an adept accumulator (and trader) of goodies, so I'd not be surprised if, in the end, Peanut has a never-ending stash of snacks.
Ah, yes, the candy barter system. Once could find neat things doing that. I recall in my school, if you had a stash of spicy watermelon lollipops, you practically had your choice of nearly any other candy to trade with. Stuff was that popular.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then Peanut better hope that Tiger never find this never-ending stash if it exists.