2019/12/20 - The Joke Is Violence

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/12/20 - The Joke Is Violence

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think by what Rick meant by that when he said it was that the arc would end up shifting to other characters.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think by what Rick meant by that when he said it was that the arc would end up shifting to other characters.
That's what I thought too, Dayzee, but a lot of people are thinking, from what I've read, that we're going to be completely done with Marion and Lois after Christmas.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

LunarFox wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think by what Rick meant by that when he said it was that the arc would end up shifting to other characters.
That's what I thought too, Dayzee, but a lot of people are thinking, from what I've read, that we're going to be completely done with Marion and Lois after Christmas.
A few of us are thinking Christmas Miracle. But since Steward dropped the coin I'm wondering if we'll see something weird like where the coins power is negated if it comes into contact with something or falls in a river etc.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
LunarFox wrote:
A few of us are thinking Christmas Miracle. But since Steward dropped the coin I'm wondering if we'll see something weird like where the coins power is negated if it comes into contact with something or falls in a river etc.
I think not. That literally destroys all consequences of the coin, rendering pretty much the entire arc meaningless. It also destroys the potential for the coin to be a source of drama in the future. The Cosmic Game has been over for years and we're still mining it for stories, so I don't think that's a door Rick will close.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think it might somehow reverse Marion and Lois but still be a source that can turn any human into an animal and be a headache for the characters.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
LunarFox wrote:

Well, "losing THE COIN" could set up a future arc - maybe years down the road - where someone "finds THE COIN". Then we're off to the races again. Meanwhile, there still the question of reversing the transformations of Marion, Lois, and perhaps Steward to resolve.

Or not.

Maybe Santa will bring toys to the treehouse ferals and, departing, step on THE COIN and turn into a reindeer!
Naw. Then nobody else would get toys for Christmas...
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
LunarFox wrote:
Or perhaps, maybe, if it comes in contact with another Celestial the power is negated? Like, say, another family member of Pete and Dragon that is the complete opposite of the two who is trying to find a way to fix those affected by the coins?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

With so few strips remaining and this being Housepets!, I think next strip someone is going to find the dropped coin immediately.
LunarFox wrote:
My guess is it's like Dog Days of Summer or something ending. The arc will be over and we'll see other characters next, but stuff will be picked up in a later arc.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Champion Wallace wrote:With so few strips remaining and this being Housepets!, I think next strip someone is going to find the dropped coin immediately.
LunarFox wrote:
My guess is it's like Dog Days of Summer or something ending. The arc will be over and we'll see other characters next, but stuff will be picked up in a later arc.
That's more what I'm expecting.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Nobody wrote:That's more what I'm expecting.
Agreed. After spending this long with them and so long focused on them, we may be getting a couple of arcs elsewhere and with other characters. It’d be cool though if one of the interim arcs is a “the pets all get together to have some fun” arc like the water gun war or maybe the hot springs arc, where we get some good characters moments alongside the comedy beats. Seeing Marion & Lois get in on the fun in one of those kinds of arcs, too, where we learn more about them while the arc isn’t really focused in on them specifically, would be cool and show that they’re starting to fit in and gain acceptance and new friends.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Plus if they do have a lot of fun they may decide to actually STAY as animals which is what a lot of people seem to want. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Plus if they do have a lot of fun they may decide to actually STAY as animals which is what a lot of people seem to want. ;)
I could see Lois going that way, but not Marion.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

As long as it is a choice that they make, I'm fine with it. I'm not fine with it being against their will.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Marion just found THE COIN so the "lost coin found" arc ain'ta gonna happen. Poo.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Rick really is gonna end this arc tomorrow (which I doubt and I don't know where in the **** people got that idea...), then that arc wouldn't really make sense.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Rick really is gonna end this arc tomorrow (which I doubt and I don't know where in the **** people got that idea...), then that arc wouldn't really make sense.
Where in the "****" people got that idea from was Rick Griffin's official twitter and I trust that he's written an ending that will make sense.
The cape comes with the promotion.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Rick really is gonna end this arc tomorrow (which I doubt and I don't know where in the **** people got that idea...), then that arc wouldn't really make sense.
Where in the "****" people got that idea from was Rick Griffin's official twitter and I trust that he's written an ending that will make sense.
I think the confusion is between "myth arcs" and "plot arcs". My Life As A Teenage Squirrel is a plot arc. Temple Crashers is a plot arc. The Great Water Balloon War is a plot arc.

The Celestials and what they're up to and how the inhabitants of Babylon Gardens reacts to it is the comic's myth arc. Just because My Life As A Teenage Squirrel ends on Christmas, doesn't mean the overarching story ends.

If Steward is innocent, then the plot ends because the characters have run out of leads to follow. They can't continue the investigation until they get new leads, which can happen at the beginning of a new plot arc.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that does sound like more of a possibility then it just ending abruptly. That probably makes a lot more sense.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Okay, so based on the latest strip, Stewardwas guilty. But since his escape, they've run out of leads to follow, so the plot ends. We'll probably see Marion and Lois again when new leads are found, if not sooner.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Plus I doubt that Steward is gonna get out if this with no repercussions and he will have karma come to him soon because it would be rather unsatisfying if he didn't pay for ruining people's lives.