Useless Information Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

kurowolfe

Re: Useless Information Thread

Post by kurowolfe »

I thought 7-Elevens in the US sell hotdogs because I saw a video saying that's the norm. Guess I was lied to -w-

This is a infograph of general palm lines types:

My grandma said that if you have a continuous line extending across your palm (a.k.a anything other than the common lines), you might be more creative than others. And you might be a good fisherman and artist.

FYI, my right hand is the common one, and my left one is probably the Suwon crease (or a mix between the Suwon crease and the Simian crease). I heard that having two different palm types is not that common, and I kinda like that about myself.

And no, I don't believe in palmistry.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

THanks for the advice in the joys and sorrows thread, Kuro! I'll definitely give that a go!

Hmm. What does it mean if my palms aren't like any of those pictures? On mine, the yellow line goes right up to between my index and middle finger and right over the webbing, and the dark green line goes basically down to the crease of the wrist. Both paws are pretty well identical except that the light green line ends slightly closer to the pinky side of my paw on the left paw than it does in the right. Both light green lines start at the same place though, that is joined with the dark green line between the thumb and first finger.

(By the way, I don't believe in it either. I'm just interested since I know nothing about it. :P )
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

You're welcome :3 I hope you'll feel better soon, being under the weather is no fun at all.

I've searched for a little bit more, and apparently there's a common standard for the line types, the PIC model. The website's here, but here's all 21 types and subtypes:

Apparently you should only consider the core lines, those that are thick and very noticeable. Hence, my left hand actually has a simian crease, only two core lines. Or 211 according to the chart. Maybe yours are the 311 variant A type?
Last edited by kurowolfe on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

kurowolfe wrote:I thought 7-Elevens in the US sell hotdogs because I saw a video saying that's the norm.
No, they do, their hotdogs are just gross and its baffling why anybody likes them.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I... Don't fit any of those either. :P This is awkward. *giggle* I have weird paws!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I have a normal head line, except that there's a short extra crease just above it that goes the rest of the way to the edge of my hand on both hands. And I can't find anything about it online. I must be special. 8-)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

what if the lines on your hand do this?

then what?
Attachments
handlines.png
handlines.png (20.71 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well... everyone have unique palms/pawprints, so it shows that this is a rough generalization. The PIC model is not adopted by everyone though. We are all unique~

A very useless info: This month, 7-Elevens in Malaysia are offering single pack Reese's for only RM1! That's like 28 US cents each. I'm gonna buy one every day xD

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

kurowolfe wrote:A very useless info: This month, 7-Elevens in Malaysia are offering single pack Reese's for only RM1! That's like 28 US cents each. I'm gonna buy one every day xD
wow, I'd have to buy at least 6 or 7 at that price
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'd buy more than that Brent. :P

Useless fact: I prefer using screws over nails when building things. Even when it would be easier to use a nail.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Someone should make a thread about worthless, inconsequential facts about yourself!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I drive a 1996 Infiniti Q45. Its a luxury car which I bought from my neighbor who was my late grandfather's best friend. I previously drove a 2003 Chevrolet Impala.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

DreamWorks' The Croods was originally going to be done at Aardman, and story would've been based off of Roald Dahl's The Twits.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

The Salton Sea is the largest lake in California.
The lake's salinity (44 g/L) is greater than that of the Pacific Ocean (35 g/L), but less than that of the Great Salt Lake (which ranges from 50 to 270 g/L).
The concentration increases by about 1% every year.
Panda Panda Panda
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Isn't that the lake which smells like dead fish because there are literally dead fishes everywhere, because of the salinity?

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll for short, is a village in Wales with the longest name for any place names in Europe.

The approximate pronunciation for the place name is "Thlan-vire-poolth-guin-gilth-go-gerr-khoor-woon-drob-oolth-thlantus-ill-io-go-go-goch". The double 'll' has no exact English equivalent sound, and can be approximated by the 'thl' sound in 'athlete'. The 'ch' in 'goch' is pronounced like how you would pronounce Bach.

The meaning of the village name is "St. Mary Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel Near the Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysillio in the Red Cave." The name was invented as a publicity stunt to generate interest to the village in the 19th century.

On that note, the longest city name in the world is the full name of the city of Bangkok.

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Meaning? "The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (unlike Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn"

Apparently, the people of Thailand calls the city either the English-centric name of Bangkok or Krung Thep, the short form of the name above. Superstar's gotta confirm this though...

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I can confirm that for you too, Kuro. I have two siblings adopted from Bangkok and I've been there twice. So I have a bit of an idea about the lore of Thailand.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

kurowolfe wrote: On that note, the longest city name in the world is the full name of the city of Bangkok.

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Meaning? "The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (unlike Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn"

Apparently, the people of Thailand calls the city either the English-centric name of Bangkok or Krung Thep, the short form of the name above. Superstar's gotta confirm this though...
Yes, this is true. In fact I just amazed Civilization with the same fact a few days ago.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

"Battles" and "Tablets" are anagrams of each other.
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Swat KATS is gonna get a revival.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

That's not useless though...
RedFoxWizard

Post by RedFoxWizard »

Useless fact: mosquitos have 47 teeth. Didn't think they had any, to be honest. :?
Ice and fire magic? Does that result in a freezer-burn?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Male mosquitos feed on nectar while it is only the females that feed on blood.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

kurowolfe wrote:Isn't that the lake which smells like dead fish because there are literally dead fishes everywhere, because of the salinity?
Yeah, that's the one.
Panda Panda Panda
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Somebody needs to be pushed into that lake then! :lol:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most bananas are clones of each other.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

People didn't always say "hello" when they answered the phone. When the first regular phone service was established in 1878, people said "ahoy."
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

There was plans to adapt Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats as an animated feature at Amblimation (an animation production arm of Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment). Unfortunately, the project was shelved when Amblimation closed down due to the commercial failure of Balto.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The S in Harry S. Truman doesn't stand for anything.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Saturn381 wrote:There was plans to adapt Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats as an animated feature at Amblimation (an animation production arm of Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment). Unfortunately, the project was shelved when Amblimation closed down due to the commercial failure of Balto.
Aw. That's a shame. I didn't know Balto was a failure. I love that movie!

Still, Cats is awesome as a stage musical as is. I have to wonder if it would have lost something if it was turned into a cartoon.

Spaking of ALW musicals, in the 2004 movie The Phantom Of The Opera when you see the chandelier drop and when Joseph Buquet drops, both of those were actually dropped during filming. In the case of Buquet, the actor who played him wore a special harness and in the case of the chandelier, it was designed to drop and break without all the glass shattering on the actors and actresses who were running from it.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The phrase “going commando” originated during the Vietnam War, a time when American troops spent extended periods of time in hot, humid jungles. Wearing tight-fitting undergarments reduced ventilation and increased the risk of fungal infections in the groin area.
ShrimpGumbo

Post by ShrimpGumbo »

The dutch word for city is stad
Smile and the whole world smiles with you, and silently labels you an idiot.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

The cellphone company "Virgin Mobile" is a part of a larger company that owns an airline, sells toys, electronics and once made a video game (for the...sega dreamcast I think) it was Aladdin. However that company seems to have lost their rights and is not part of this "Virgin" company name.
(or this was based on what I researched after seeing a company called "Virgin Games" on the Aladdin game.)
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The first cow to ride in an airplane was Elm Farm Ollie in 1930. Milk she gave in-flight was sealed in containers and parachuted down over St. Louis.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

ShrimpGumbo wrote:The dutch word for city is stad
Pretty similar to the German word for it Stadt.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The city of Neuquén in southwestern Argentina must have been a rather terrifying place to live 90 million years ago. Within an hour’s drive of Neuquén lie three important paleontologic sites, each home to record-breaking finds including Argentinosaurus huinculensis, considered the world’s largest dinosaur (coming in at 130 feet long and 60 feet tall), Giganotosaurus carolinii, thought to be the world’s largest carnivorous dinosaur (46 feet long), and fossilized footprints so large that locals once used them as community barbeque pits.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Today is Duke Paoa Kahinu Mokoe Hulikohola Kahanamoku's 125th birthday.
Kahanamoku was a five-time Olympic medalist in swimming.
He was also known as an actor, lawman, early beach volleyball player and businessman credited with spreading the sport of surfing.
Panda Panda Panda
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Short Round, Indiana Jones' sidekick in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, has been played by Jonathan Luke Ke Huy Quan. The same guy who has also been in Spielberg's next years movie The Goonies as Richard "Data" Wang.
In 1995 he moved to Australia and started a music career. (Haven't found any songs, maybe somebody else is more lucky...)
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At the end of Prohibition, FDR said, "What America needs now is a drink."
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Within 3 days of death, the enzymes that once digested your food begin to eat you.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The longest number 1 song the Billboard Hot 100 had that was on the chart for 16 weeks is the song "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey featuring Boyz II Men.