Arc 56: Let's Imaginate Guys And Dolls

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Arc 56: Let's Imaginate Guys And Dolls

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am fine with them for the most part now that I think about it. Though I don't really prefer them honestly.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:47 am I am fine with them for the most part now that I think about it. Though I don't really prefer them honestly.
Well, as others have noted before, it really helps to have some familiarity with the show/movie plot Rick is satirizing. Guys and Dolls is a fun musical but it's rarely performed anymore and dates from the 50s.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think the reason why Rick chooses some of the plays is because they are supposedly timeless classics. Only problem is that while that may be true not many people are into plays.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 pm I think the reason why Rick chooses some of the plays is because they are supposedly timeless classics. Only problem is that while that may be true not many people are into plays.
I've only ever gone to see three plays in my life.
One was Wait Until Dark in high school
One was a play an ex-brother-in-law was in (was married to my sister at the time). I don't remember the name of the play.
The third was Avenue Q.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have seen a few but most of them were because they were school plays. I do remember in 8th Grade we went on a field trip to see some sort of play but considering me being in 8th grade was 17 years ago of course I am not gonna remember it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

TyVulpintaur wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 am
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 pm I think the reason why Rick chooses some of the plays is because they are supposedly timeless classics. Only problem is that while that may be true not many people are into plays.
I've only ever gone to see three plays in my life.
One was Wait Until Dark in high school
One was a play an ex-brother-in-law was in (was married to my sister at the time). I don't remember the name of the play.
The third was Avenue Q.
Avenue Q was serious fun. Part of the fun was watching the rather sedate audience get into the spirit of muppet/Sesame Street style puppets getting in to some pretty risque situations and lyrics.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I could definitely watch a play where puppets like the ones from Sesame Street or The Muppets end up acting more adult. That sounds like it would be a really entertaining show.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:59 am I could definitely watch a play where puppets like the ones from Sesame Street or The Muppets end up acting more adult. That sounds like it would be a really entertaining show.
Avenue Q had an R-level rating due to drugs, alcohol, and sex (and refused to allow anyone under the age of 13 in the audience because there is a certain scene between two of the puppets.)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Corruption of innocence always has a certain sinister and cynical comic appeal.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its why I like watching adult animated series. The fact that people think cartoons are just for kids is something that makes me want to watch it as a rebellion against those people.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

When Dad was in the navy, he had a sailor working for him who had been with Disney. He worked in the morale section and had a huge inventory of cartoons to show the troops. He could talk at great length about studios, the characters and their personalities, how they evolved. He had apparently worked for a time on Jose Carioca, the parrot character from Saludos Amigos. He felt Disney needed a character who used more verbal humor like Bugs Bunny and was a bit of a con-man ... as opposed to Goofy who was an amiable dolt, Donald who was ragingly inarticulate, and Mickey who had become kind of bland and uninteresting.

I was blessed to grow up in a family that took cartoons seriously. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't take cartoons seriously until I was in middle school. Back then I realized that some cartoons were actually manga and different from others. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I didn't notice manga until mid-life, and then it kinda turned me off. But, then, I was never big into super heroes and anime struck me as imported Hanna-Barbara stuff with a lot of sweating, big mouths, posturing, and bloviating. Generational thing, probably, as both the animation and the story-telling have improved dramatically over the decades. ;)
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

I'm not too fond of anime (prepares for weebs to attack) but some mangas my mom bought me when I was younger were pretty cool. I did also like the occasional Miyazaki film.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

There's only 3 animes I actually like
1980's Lions Voltron
Wolf's Rain
Disgaea
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Off the top of my head without digging through the internet I can only remember about 5 anime I was really fanatical about when I was younger. They were Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Those were the ones my son liked, too. The girls were not terribly attracted to them, except Eleanor (the youngest) did have a Pokemon phase. But then she was into "Garbage Pail Kids" trading cards then, too. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which show was that because there was never an Eleanor in any of the ones I listed (granted I haven't watched many of them in a while but I would figure I would remember the name)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Eleanor's the name of my youngest daughter, not a character. Didn't mean to mislead you, Amazz.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No its fine. I misread it and thought you were talking about the characters from a show instead of you daughter. Though there might be someone named Eleanor in one of them and I haven't picked it up. :o