2019/04/19 - Flower Power

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Mctwisp

Re: 2019/04/19 - Flower Power

Post by Mctwisp »

Didn't notice Bino's pudgy.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: Maybe talking about girls? Max is a little more mellow, but they both really love their current girlfriends.
Max has already made hhis feelings about Duchess clear and Bino and Grape have a complicated relationship. Any conversation would most likely devolve into a spat.
I mean... the fact this is how it would conclude doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a fun arc. Plus, both Bino and Max are characters that aren’t going away that need more development, so maybe a little more clarity on the specifics of their relationship be nice. It also helps that Max’s snark is at its funniest when he aims it at his brother in law
If they do bond then Jeff needs to be there. As I've stated before if any owner needed development or to be seen in detail, it's Jeff. Imagine the road trip scenario and Max and Bino are fighting, Jeff gets mad, drives off the road, they get lost in the middle of nowhere and have to stay at a sketchy hotel (Trying to come up with something Rick hasn't already done). I'm curious about how Jeff adopted them. Rufus just showed up with Max but what about Bino? Jeff never struck me as a saint but he'd have to be to put up with Bino all these years. Anyway, I can see them sitting in a circle and having a "talk" about "feelings." Maybe if they opened up about their lives and their issues then they could actually come to understand one another. Then in the end they go back to normal with Max teasing Bino and Bino trying to act superior to Max and Jeff either ignoring them or getting frustrated.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm sure we'll get more out of it in the future. Unless Rick wants to move into a Bino arc soon, but i'm betting he'll be moving towards either Breel or something else we haven't seen in awhile.

I don't think we need specifics about how Bino, Max and Jeff's family except through interactions. Pretty sure Rick already explained in good small details how Max, Bino and Jeff's relationship is. Also, i'm pretty sure it was mentioned at one point that Jeff and Ryan both adopted Bino, Joey and Fido at the same time, though i forget who adopted Joey.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:I'm sure we'll get more out of it in the future. Unless Rick wants to move into a Bino arc soon, but i'm betting he'll be moving towards either Breel or something else we haven't seen in awhile.
I'll bet that the first arc of Year 12 will be Breel's backstory and his life leading to his death. It'll be long to like the Wolf's Camping Trip.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
GameCobra wrote:I'm sure we'll get more out of it in the future. Unless Rick wants to move into a Bino arc soon, but i'm betting he'll be moving towards either Breel or something else we haven't seen in awhile.
I'll bet that the first arc of Year 12 will be Breel's backstory and his life leading to his death. It'll be long to like the Wolf's Camping Trip.
The first and last arc of each year tend to be relate to big story arc events, and while Breel’s backstory I feel is too interesting to pass up even if Rick has nothing in mind yet just due to the time period, I doubt Breel is important enough right now to relate to the close of year 11 or the start of 12. My guess is the Dino demon will show up, to show the denizens of hell are going to be a big part of the story moving forward, Steward is gonna set the first few steps of whatever he’s thought up to do with that coin in motion, or some combination of the two. I actually wonder if Rick does have anything in mind for the first intelligent reptile we’ve seen since that snake from the black and white days. Still feels odd that Rick didn’t touch on him at all in the epilogue since most everything else got at least some acknowledgment
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The first arc of the year has always been unpredictable unless it’s the continuation of a cliffhanger so there is no telling what Year 12 will bring unless we know what the final chapter of year 11 is. Fingers crossed that it is Steward’s plot being started. I’ve waited an entire year to see what he’s been up to. I’m hoping King will be involved somehow since he’s done nothing significant since going on the camping trip and didn’t even do anything except reveal his hidden ninja skills and camping enthusiasm. And like what ever happened to that job he was supposed to get?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:The first arc of the year has always been unpredictable unless it’s the continuation of a cliffhanger so there is no telling what Year 12 will bring unless we know what the final chapter of year 11 is. Fingers crossed that it is Steward’s plot being started. I’ve waited an entire year to see what he’s been up to. I’m hoping King will be involved somehow since he’s done nothing significant since going on the camping trip and didn’t even do anything except reveal his hidden ninja skills and camping enthusiasm. And like what ever happened to that job he was supposed to get?
I actually think Rick wanted that to be a punchline and it never be revealed if he actually would get one or not... and then we not only started talking about king getting a job, but a lot of other pets, Max being the most zeroed in on of the regular pets. I’m also thinking Rick might be wanting to pet King have more downtime away from the action so he can off panel enjoy his family more, and focus on developing the much neglected other main and major characters. I love King, but it’s hard to deny his focus arcs didn’t help many other characters grow, aside from Fox
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:The first arc of the year has always been unpredictable unless it’s the continuation of a cliffhanger so there is no telling what Year 12 will bring unless we know what the final chapter of year 11 is. Fingers crossed that it is Steward’s plot being started. I’ve waited an entire year to see what he’s been up to. I’m hoping King will be involved somehow since he’s done nothing significant since going on the camping trip and didn’t even do anything except reveal his hidden ninja skills and camping enthusiasm. And like what ever happened to that job he was supposed to get?
I actually think Rick wanted that to be a punchline and it never be revealed if he actually would get one or not... and then we not only started talking about king getting a job, but a lot of other pets, Max being the most zeroed in on of the regular pets. I’m also thinking Rick might be wanting to pet King have more downtime away from the action so he can off panel enjoy his family more, and focus on developing the much neglected other main and major characters. I love King, but it’s hard to deny his focus arcs didn’t help many other characters grow, aside from Fox
But King is still the third main character. It wouldn't make sense to cut him out and let him fall to the ranks of secondary. Both Peanut and Grape are still developing and King, despite the lengths the comic has gone to develop his character, still has a looooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go. I can only imagine the issues he still hasn't worked out (daddy issues) .
But if Rick did want to develop some neglected characters then the Geeks would be the best choice. Now that Kitsune has taken a liking to them and they have had exposure to the celestial elements, they would be prime choices to go on an adventure and get their feet wet. Real life role-playing where they are the ones to save Babylon Gardens (and possibly the world) this time. It would be a good way to build on the fact they were in the Temple Crashers arc.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:
But King is still the third main character. It wouldn't make sense to cut him out and let him fall to the ranks of secondary. Both Peanut and Grape are still developing and King, despite the lengths the comic has gone to develop his character, still has a looooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go. I can only imagine the issues he still hasn't worked out (daddy issues) .
But if Rick did want to develop some neglected characters then the Geeks would be the best choice. Now that Kitsune has taken a liking to them and they have had exposure to the celestial elements, they would be prime choices to go on an adventure and get their feet wet. Real life role-playing where they are the ones to save Babylon Gardens (and possibly the world) this time. It would be a good way to build on the fact they were in the Temple Crashers arc.
The only members of the geek squad important enough to consider giving an arc for are Joey and (kinda part of the squad) Squeak, and I think Rick has done fine with Joey, of the three mutts other than Peanut, he’s the most fleshed out surprisingly. Squeak really could use more of time focused on her though, I feel there’s a lot of potential dwelving into the world of the mice if she got a few more strips with Spo or something like that. Also, anyone wonder where Spo was during the Spa arcs? It’s really odd not having the unofficial member of the K-9 unit present during the sting + Fido has a lot of trouble being engaging when he isn’t reacting to stuff Spo says.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Likely stayed home when it started snowing. Wouldn't be farfetched to assume he loves sleeping in on snow days.

Also, King I'm certain is not a main character... anymore, at least. Though these days I'm pretty sure Rick is trying to make the cast go the route of Resident Evil - There is no main character. Just people/survivors. x3
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:The only members of the geek squad important enough to consider giving an arc for are Joey and (kinda part of the squad) Squeak, and I think Rick has done fine with Joey, of the three mutts other than Peanut, he’s the most fleshed out surprisingly.
That is why it would be important to build up the geek squad some more. If you want something to have value then you have to give it value. They're a team which makes for a good dynamic that is not seen that often. We plenty of partnerships but they're the only real team-team. Lester has a lot of personality (flawed as it may be) and Dallas, I swear has some hidden traits that should be explored. It would be a good way to book-end Year 11. Miles and the pack got a big arc that really developed them which is something that hasn't happened before despite their roles in the past so why not finish the way the year started.
Joey really doesn't have too much going for him. He's an artist with cat envy (that kinda faded away) who's in a relationship with a mouse. Joey is a huge geek and Squeak probably isn't much better. Joey being the runt of the litter has always been excluded by his brothers. This is stuff we know but has never been fleshed out, just mentioned in passing.
Gameb18oy wrote:Squeak really could use more of time focused on her though, I feel there’s a lot of potential dwelving into the world of the mice if she got a few more strips with Spo or something like that.
Ehh. :| There are so many movies that do that it feels like a waste of time to repeat it here. Plus Spo is such a tertiary character and Squeak isn't much better.
GameCobra wrote:Also, King I'm certain is not a main character... anymore, at least.
This is what I'm talking about. King has fallen and needs to be salvaged before he becomes complacent as a character and forgotten.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:This is what I'm talking about. King has fallen and needs to be salvaged before he becomes complacent as a character and forgotten.
I... don't think he's fallen. More like Rick gave him the spotlight so much that even saying the word King summons a crowd of crazy fans.

I don't mind King after all the good stuff him and Bailey went through the years, but I'm more interested in seeing him doing things in the background. Like what he did with the wolves recently. Get his two human cents in on all of this. x3
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:The only members of the geek squad important enough to consider giving an arc for are Joey and (kinda part of the squad) Squeak, and I think Rick has done fine with Joey, of the three mutts other than Peanut, he’s the most fleshed out surprisingly.
That is why it would be important to build up the geek squad some more. If you want something to have value then you have to give it value. They're a team which makes for a good dynamic that is not seen that often. We plenty of partnerships but they're the only real team-team. Lester has a lot of personality (flawed as it may be) and Dallas, I swear has some hidden traits that should be explored. It would be a good way to book-end Year 11. Miles and the pack got a big arc that really developed them which is something that hasn't happened before despite their roles in the past so why not finish the way the year started.
Joey really doesn't have too much going for him. He's an artist with cat envy (that kinda faded away) who's in a relationship with a mouse. Joey is a huge geek and Squeak probably isn't much better. Joey being the runt of the litter has always been excluded by his brothers. This is stuff we know but has never been fleshed out, just mentioned in passing.
Gameb18oy wrote:Squeak really could use more of time focused on her though, I feel there’s a lot of potential dwelving into the world of the mice if she got a few more strips with Spo or something like that.
Ehh. :| There are so many movies that do that it feels like a waste of time to repeat it here. Plus Spo is such a tertiary character and Squeak isn't much better.
GameCobra wrote:Also, King I'm certain is not a main character... anymore, at least.
This is what I'm talking about. King has fallen and needs to be salvaged before he becomes complacent as a character and forgotten.
Considering I’m very fond of the characters I feel you’re basically insulting, I feel like I have to respond to this. First off, just because you might not enjoy what Joey’s traits are, don’t just discount him, he’s been growing a lot and you’re forgetting the showcases of him being the most mature of his group, after his girlfriend of course. And just wow, on the tertiary character insult, isn’t that exactly why you want the nerd squad to get an arc? Lester and Dallas might fit that descriptive even more so than Squeak and Spo, the mice were able to handle that one arc that was just them alright I felt, and I struggle to see Dallas manage on his own. Also, what movies are you even talking about, especially when you don’t know what kind of plots Rick might come up with. He might reintroduce that army of mice that once tried to invade the sandwiches house before Grape ate their leader for all you know
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Random reflections "on what you said."

Getting the three - Bino, Fido, and Joey - has a lot of potential but I'll leave to Rick how he want to do that. It is interesting that Bino jealousy towards Fido was one of the earliest arcs in establishing the characters.

Now that you mention it, Lester did show some real potential as a leader back in the Temple, didn't he? Maybe it's time for a "Geek squad breakout", something that doesn't involve spats over gaming. A problem is that Lester is kind of a "shadow" of Bino in terms of temperament so you'd have to pull him off in a somewhat different developmental mode. Dallas is a bit more individualized, there's a sweetness and guilelessness about him. I could see him being a pal to some of the others characters one-on-one in a comic turn, short adventure, "imaginate", or situational bit. He'd have to become a little less nerdy but, hey, a lot of the gang seems to be maturing lately. Maybe even an older chum for Pueblo, say, or a younger protégé for Rex. (Rex does a cooking show?) Joey and Squeak could round out the foursome and do a turn on their own They've done a couple before but always "game" themed....

T'was nice to see Bailey, King, and GK make a little splash in the spa. I was a little concerned back in the arc with Gale and the wolves that, after Bailey's ambush of the puma, King and his family just kinda went "poof". Eventually those puppies are gonna step into the spotlight... …. or be forgotten.

Regards.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: Considering I’m very fond of the characters I feel you’re basically insulting, I feel like I have to respond to this. First off, just because you might not enjoy what Joey’s traits are, don’t just discount him, he’s been growing a lot and you’re forgetting the showcases of him being the most mature of his group, after his girlfriend of course. And just wow, on the tertiary character insult, isn’t that exactly why you want the nerd squad to get an arc? Lester and Dallas might fit that descriptive even more so than Squeak and Spo, the mice were able to handle that one arc that was just them alright I felt, and I struggle to see Dallas manage on his own. Also, what movies are you even talking about, especially when you don’t know what kind of plots Rick might come up with. He might reintroduce that army of mice that once tried to invade the sandwiches house before Grape ate their leader for all you know
I wasn’t insulting Joey. I like Joey. I’m saying that he needs more fleshing out and listing the aspects that currently make up his character in a passive manner. Being called tertiary isn’t an insult just a statement of ranking and role in the comic. I made a chart of it. Squeak is more or less apart of the Geek Squad so she’ll get development along with the others.
The movies I was referring too: Ratatouille, American Tail movies, The Rescuers, Secret of Nimh, and The Great Mouse Detective.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Which isn't to say Rick couldn't give us a nice shot of the mouse world, though I do agree that there would need to be a deeper reason than just to show us the mouse world (which is why all of those movies are still beloved).
And Fen, saying that "tertiary character" is simply a neutral statement about that character's place in the hierarchy while also talking about King's possible "fall to the ranks of secondary" seems a mite at odds with each other. It would be easy for someone to get the impression that you do in fact attach a value to which rank a character is at and then assume that "tertiary" has a meaning similar to unimportant (as it can sometimes in other contexts).

I'd certainly enjoy more of Joey's squad, but I can't really think of something that I would enjoy seeing them doing (aside from a D&D session a la the imaginate arcs, though with 1 GM and 2 character players, that might feel a little small).
I would definitely be okay with King taking a back seat and letting the other characters shine for a while (much as I love him and his grump face to absolute pieces :D )
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Some characters don't really work outside of a smaller role anyway. Joey is great but how would you make him a bigger character without adding a whole bunch to his character?

I say this as someone whose favorite character is Tiger.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Sleet wrote:Some characters don't really work outside of a smaller role anyway. Joey is great but how would you make him a bigger character without adding a whole bunch to his character?

Similarly to how Fox became a bigger character? I don’t actually have an answer, as Fox I think even Rick was surprised by how much he developed him, just pointing out simple characters develop into more complex characters the more you give them focus. Though I personally don’t need him to be a bigger character, I’d be happy if for once when Peanut shared his comics with the younger dog (I assume) we didn’t get transported into the comics and actually saw how those two interact more. Joey’s righteous fury at Peanut’s lack of commitment to his lesson plans is one of the major factors of me loving him, and considering I’ve never been a fan of Spot (superdog) arcs that remove us from the actual characters, it be a fun to see what’s happening while Joey is reading the comics. Maybe we’d find out how much Squeak talks to guests that come by or something like that if that arc ever happened. It also would clarify if Joey is one of the “annoying pets” Peanut wants Tarot to protect him from. It’s implied but not confirmed after all.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Sleet wrote:Some characters don't really work outside of a smaller role anyway. Joey is great but how would you make him a bigger character without adding a whole bunch to his character?

You wouldn't need to add things to the characters but expand what is already there. Joey and the rest already had a lot shown of their character traits just by them being in the Temple Crashers arc which did show that they do work in a big role. Them being there opened them up to a new world of possibilities that would not only develop them as characters individually but as a team. If Joey was allowed to develop his imagination some more than we could see an entirely new dynamic that isn't exactly new but could be developed in a new way. In other words, if Joey had access to imagination power like the magic in HP than that could develop him. The same could go for Lester and Dallas. Lester is already a bossy leader type who likes things his way and Joey is the same as we've seen with Peanut. Put them together in a difficult situation and let the sparks fly as they struggle for dominance. Dallas we've seen has a dangerous (if not violent) streak that could be shown off and expanded on. The best way to develop them would be to give them powers and a quest of sorts and let them figure it out on their own while being forced not only to be a better team but as better friends. It's a classic trope and something that I could definitely see Kitsune putting together. Going back to my list of Joey's traits from earlier, any one of those could be used as a way to develop Joey. All a character needs is either a goal to accomplish or an obstacle to overcome. The best stories have both.

Tiger doesn't need development as much as screen time. We've seen what happens when he gets the staring role in an arc and they're still some of the best ones. He blew up a tv studio, I mean that's all you need. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At least Jerry is very devoted to his pets unlike other people *coughcoughJeffcoughcough* since I'm sure most people would dump a dog after they blew up a building even if no one died or was seriously injured.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Isn't that part of the process of making someone a major character?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do believe that is usually how it is done.