Favorite Movie from your childhood?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Favorite Movie from your childhood?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly never really picked up a difference between any of the Popeye cartoons like you have. I thought it was all fun and just a cute little cartoon to remind kids to eat their spinach.

My favorite Popeye clip is this one though. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGrL6KTp1gE
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Popeye cartoons I grew up with were the high-quality theatre cartoons made by the Max Fleisher Studio and later by Paramount during the 30s, 40s, and 50s. They were shown on TV as "fillers" especially on Saturday mornings.

King Features Syndicate, which controlled the Popeye newspaper comics, decided to start making TV cartoons of the characters using the low-animtion techniques of Hanna-Barbera. They did have some legal issues with Paramount which, among other notables, led them to change the name of Popeye's nemisis, Bluto, to Brutus. In the 80, they sold the Silor and his crew to Hanna-Barbera themselves - who made a couple hundred more low grade cartoons, mostly copying plots of the old Fleishers.

To quote Conrad's Heart of Darkness ... "The horror, the horror ..."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do remember some of the shorts also being used as fillers on Cartoon Network also when I was growing up in the early 2000s. When Cartoon Network was created (the same year I was born), they used the shorts from before 1986 when there was one on. So they most likely used the cartoons from Fleischer Studios and Famous Studios and none from King Features.

I don't think they ever used King Features as they made a cartoon show instead of animated clips and there never was a dedicated Popeye's show on Cartoon Network.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I remember the beginnings of Cartoon Network. Havent been back there for a while.

Somewhere. I'm sure there's a list of all the cartoon shows Hanna-Barb fielded - most were one season wonders, feeding off of each other, and they all had basement-level production and story quality.

So ... back on topic ... another movie all of my family loved was The Last Unicorn. Rankin-Bass, I think.