My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Jacob goes Pinkamena
Yesyesyesyesyes I am so happy to see this.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm sad...Today is the episode I've been waiting for a long time and my internet connection is horrible where i currently am...I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch it.
=/
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

It was so cute.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Speaking of cute
Also, slight warning on that picture for lady with underwear.
bwah bwah
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

so that new episode was okay
the song was kind of catchy and reminded the Monorail song from the Simpsons
very funny episode and best lesson imo
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

So this was the first time I actually watched the new episode livestreamed! Oh goodness so much fun. I must do this consistently from now on. Here are my first impressions!

Obviously don't read this unless you've watched the latest show!

Things I loved:

Everypony is drunk pony (yes I know cider can be non-alcoholic I just find the thought too funny to pass up)
TASTES LIKE TREE -> TASTES LIKE FLUTTERSHY (i said TASTES LIKE TREE, it got repeated a whole bunch of times, then fluttershy flew into one of the trees and everyone started repeating TASTES LIKE TREE? TASTES LIKE FLUTTERSHY. Then something else happened and everyone moved on. STILL PROUD ANYWAY.)
AJ is confirmed for BEST FRIEND she don't need yo lessons Celestia, she already KNOWS that stuff man

Things I enjoyed but not as much:

The song! Seriously guys. Awesome. However, this is the second-longest song yet. I thought Winter Wrap-Up dragged on enough as it was, let alone this (and Art of the Dress). That said, complaining about Winter Wrap-Up is heresy so everyone here clearly hates me now
Applejack's family being a grand total of 4 and inviting in "honorary family". Hello, where is the actual extended family? If they were serious about a competition like that it really should have been better planned.
Dr Whooves doing the timing, heh.

Things I found interesting but didn't care about one way or another:

Why did Flim and Flam have to immediately break out the cider they knew was going to be terrible?
After the show, a lot of bronies were complaining that Flim and Flam should have won. They did, silly bronies. They only "lost" because they were stupid enough to break out their terrible cider and get unpopularity'd out of town.

Things I didn't enjoy:

Nothing here! No really I really liked this episode.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I suppose flimflam doesn't have the same meaning in Equestria, because I would never buy anything from the flimflam brothers.
and yes, this reminded me of the monorail song.

and on a general note, this episode had me smiling like an idiot just like every other. Ponies always make me happy. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's very easily a reference to that. I wouldn't it put it past them.

I was really hoping for a Berry Punch nod. She was here, but not really in any way, say, Bonbon wasn't.

I loved Applejack's letter to Princess Celestia. "I didn't learn anything! I was right all along!"

There's also kind of a more adult lesson in here: good marketing and production are important, but if you don't take care of your customers, they aren't going to want to pay for your product.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I thought Celestia had said to only write letters when they learn something about friendship.

and Ebly's right. If they promise more supply every year, and more ponies helping increases supply, they should bring in the extended familyfrom the first episode to help out. If they could make time for the Summer Sun Festival, why not for Cider Season? at least the first few days when demand is highest.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Ebly wrote:So this was the first time I actually watched the new episode livestreamed! Oh goodness so much fun. I must do this consistently from now on. Here are my first impressions!

Obviously don't read this unless you've watched the latest show!

Things I loved:

Everypony is drunk pony (yes I know cider can be non-alcoholic I just find the thought too funny to pass up)
TASTES LIKE TREE -> TASTES LIKE FLUTTERSHY (i said TASTES LIKE TREE, it got repeated a whole bunch of times, then fluttershy flew into one of the trees and everyone started repeating TASTES LIKE TREE? TASTES LIKE FLUTTERSHY. Then something else happened and everyone moved on. STILL PROUD ANYWAY.)
AJ is confirmed for BEST FRIEND she don't need yo lessons Celestia, she already KNOWS that stuff man

Things I enjoyed but not as much:

The song! Seriously guys. Awesome. However, this is the second-longest song yet. I thought Winter Wrap-Up dragged on enough as it was, let alone this (and Art of the Dress). That said, complaining about Winter Wrap-Up is heresy so everyone here clearly hates me now
Applejack's family being a grand total of 4 and inviting in "honorary family". Hello, where is the actual extended family? If they were serious about a competition like that it really should have been better planned.
Dr Whooves doing the timing, heh.

Things I found interesting but didn't care about one way or another:

Why did Flim and Flam have to immediately break out the cider they knew was going to be terrible?
After the show, a lot of bronies were complaining that Flim and Flam should have won. They did, silly bronies. They only "lost" because they were stupid enough to break out their terrible cider and get unpopularity'd out of town.

Things I didn't enjoy:

Nothing here! No really I really liked this episode.
I thought the song went a big long myself, but wasn't as charming as Winter Wrap Up.

I'm not sure why the rest of Applejack's really -huge- family wasn't there, but AJ mentioned they've all got their own farms and stuff to run, so getting them all into town is a really big event, something that couldn't be done on short notice. Plus at first they thought they could do it, it was only midway though they were being out preformed and knew they needed help.

Your right on them offically -winning- the contest. I guess it was just ego that they figured that the machine hadn't turned out too horrid ciderd. I think the ep would have ended better if the machine produced cider had turned out drinkable cider, but simply not as good as the Apples.

The machine itself wasn't bad, it was just Flim and Flam wanting a much higher cut of the profits for it. Funny that Applejack didn't bargin them down to something like 60-40, but lol, reading too much into a children's cartoon.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

As I said, it shouldn't have been short notice considering they apparently promise more supply every year. They should have already planned for more ponies to help.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:As I said, it shouldn't have been short notice considering they apparently promise more supply every year. They should have already planned for more ponies to help.
Family run businesses can be funny at times and not wanting outside help. Even friends and 'outside' family.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

this is awesome.
Regular Edit by a Mod: Confirmed fake, but still would be awesome.
Mod Edit: Fixed Markup Tags
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the rest of the Apple family was just there for a family reunion in the first episode. These four are the ones who live there normally. Which makes me wonder, where are Applejack's parents?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Lauren Faust wrote:To put it bluntly, we just never figured it out. I just liked the feeling of them living with their Granny, but keeping the family dynamic tight and small. To be honest, I would like to simply say that they passed away somehow, but it's just too sad for a kids' show and I don't think it would have ever been approved. There was brief discussion of them being traveling salesponies or explorers, but since we never needed the information in an episode, nothing was ever made official. So it will have to remain a mystery until someone decides to define it.
and It wasn't just a family reunion, it was the Summer Sun Celebration. kind of a big event in all of Equestria, and Sweet Apple Acres was in charge of all the food. Good enough reason to bring in all the help they can get.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Sleet wrote:I think the rest of the Apple family was just there for a family reunion in the first episode. These four are the ones who live there normally. Which makes me wonder, where are Applejack's parents?
i imagine they died very shortly after Applebloom was born, due to Disnry dead parent disease, and this was also before AJ left to live with the oranges

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s60hOgqLFGg
possible inspiration for song?

also Thor Pony
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

OH I'M GLAD SOMEONE BROUGHT THIS UP because I was so terribly disappointed to see this. I've always liked the cozy little newspaper-comic atmosphere the precocious had and it kind of ruined it with making the punchline "look guys it's ponies." I didn't terribly mind the every now and then nods to it because they never obstructed the comic, but this is just a pretty forced reference in a place it shouldn't be used to justify a joke that isn't funny.

So much Mangry.

/rant
bwah bwah
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7304845/

Okay, I have to admit, this was pretty funny.

Also, I haven't seen the new episode yet. I am a sad brony. :(
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Penwrite wrote:http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7304845/

Okay, I have to admit, this was pretty funny.

Also, I haven't seen the new episode yet. I am a sad brony. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_jwKGGWjAY
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Foxstar wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:As I said, it shouldn't have been short notice considering they apparently promise more supply every year. They should have already planned for more ponies to help.
Family run businesses can be funny at times and not wanting outside help. Even friends and 'outside' family.
This is true, but they did take the friends! So clearly AJ's family business isn't one of those family businesses. Still, unless there's some kind of family feud thing going on, I'd expect them to be keener to have family help than friend help.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Psykeout wrote:
OH I'M GLAD SOMEONE BROUGHT THIS UP because I was so terribly disappointed to see this. I've always liked the cozy little newspaper-comic atmosphere the precocious had and it kind of ruined it with making the punchline "look guys it's ponies." I didn't terribly mind the every now and then nods to it because they never obstructed the comic, but this is just a pretty forced reference in a place it shouldn't be used to justify a joke that isn't funny.

So much Mangry.

/rant
For what it's worth, the joke still works even without ponies. It's Jacob going crazy. Whether or not it's a pony reference that can still be funny.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I liked the new episode.But my only complain is how few lines Big Mac has. But I got to see Spike having some screen time with lines. It has been a while since Secret of my Excess.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

angelusbr wrote:I liked the new episode.But my only complain is how few lines Big Mac has. But I got to see Spike having some screen time with lines. It has been a while since Secret of my Excess.
Has Big Mac ever had more than a few words in the episode's he's appeared in?

Besides, your wish for more Big Mac may be granted in the Valentine's Day episode.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

KJOokami wrote:
angelusbr wrote:I liked the new episode.But my only complain is how few lines Big Mac has. But I got to see Spike having some screen time with lines. It has been a while since Secret of my Excess.
Has Big Mac ever had more than a few words in the episode's he's appeared in?

Besides, your wish for more Big Mac may be granted in the Valentine's Day episode.
In applebuck season Big Mac spoke normally with Applejack. But I'm looking foward his development in the valentine episode. I just wish they din't have to make us wait for just ONE episode for a charcater to have a decent amount of lines (big Mac had a good role in this new episode, but he could have spoken more). But I guess that's just my taste. :D
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

angelusbr wrote:In applebuck season Big Mac spoke normally with Applejack. But I'm looking foward his development in the valentine episode. I just wish they din't have to make us wait for just ONE episode for a charcater to have a decent amount of lines (big Mac had a good role in this new episode, but he could have spoken more). But I guess that's just my taste. :D
Well, to be fair, until the Valentine's episode airs, he's still mostly considered a background character. And, Applebuck Season included, I'm pretty sure that Derpy's now got just as many lines as Big Mac has had in his entire existence on the show. As far as I know, this will actually be the very first episode where it will center around background characters (unless the focus ends up being the CMC following them, rather than Big Mac and Cheerilee themselves), so this is actually a pretty new thing.
TurtleCopter
Location: 1 mile away from "I'll never do anything that stupid again"

Post by TurtleCopter »

KJOokami wrote: Has Big Mac ever had more than a few words in the episode's he's appeared in?

I saw the zap2it description for the Valentine's Day special and was very surprised. It's basically canon shipping! :lol:
It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Finally managed to get through all the distractions and see the new episode. I really, really liked it. The FlimFlam Brothers were interesting antagonists and their song was catchy (can you imagine if Trixie had had a song like that?), and I loved how at the end AJ was completely right about having been right the whole time.

To add my own thoughts to the family thing, we need to remember that the occasion in the first episode was a unique occasion, as it had the combination of Ponyville hosting the Summer Sun Celebration, AND Sweet Apple Acres being put in charge of all the catering. With this double whammy of responsibility, it makes sense for more family to be called in. As for why no extended family helped out during this Cider season, it's probably why no extended family helped with Applebuck season, because they have their own farms to look after.

On a completely unrelated note, as I watched the characters go on about the intricacies of a capitalist system like they had, and the virtue on quality and hard work over quantity and trying to provide enough for everypony, one thought kept running through my head... "Gosh Jay Naylor's going to love this episode." :?

My Little Pony: Objectivism is Magic?

Edit: no offence to any objectivists here of course.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

angelusbr wrote:http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 4ny1hr.png

Yes, Spike. It was the moustache

edit: these two pics are cool and adorable (in the order)
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/ ... 4i26g4.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 4n0znf.png
*dies of a heart attack from that Pipsqueak one*
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This, too, is adorable.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Is this a game reference or something?
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 4mnb12.png
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:
Psykeout wrote:

So much Mangry.

/rant
For what it's worth, the joke still works even without ponies. It's Jacob going crazy. Whether or not it's a pony reference that can still be funny.
No it's not, because it was really just a not funny joke. Kind of like when a friend tells you a joke and you don't laugh because he's bad at telling jokes.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not the best joke the comic's had, but I'd still call it a valid joke.
angelusbr wrote:Is this a game reference or something?
Nah, I think it's just part of the internet's obsession with steampunking anything it can get its paws on.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

angelusbr wrote:Is this a game reference or something?
if you check out the rest of that artists pony stuff, you'll see it's part of something they are working on
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Sleet wrote:This, too, is adorable.

(Picture of adorableness)
Hey, who made that? What's the source?
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I don't know why, but I suddenly have an inexplicable desire to ship Vinyl Scratch and Octavia. Because musical ponies are best ponies?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

The fandom is way ahead of you. EQD has already featured two multi-page comics focusing on their relationship.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I know, but for some reason I've never had the urge to ship them until now. And I'm really not sure why it took my brain this long to decide it really likes that couple. O__o
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

mariomarc wrote:
Sleet wrote:I think the rest of the Apple family was just there for a family reunion in the first episode. These four are the ones who live there normally. Which makes me wonder, where are Applejack's parents?
i imagine they died very shortly after Applebloom was born, due to Disnry dead parent disease, and this was also before AJ left to live with the oranges
According to Lauren Faust's DA, they are dead. This is just supposed to be straightly implied, as they can't actually talk about it too much on the show (well, they can, but it'd have to be brought up well), but it was the original intention. Big Mac was originally supposed to have been the one to inherrit the farm, but Faust realized that she wanted Applejack to seem like a more responsible role-model, so she made them co-inheritors to the Apple farm.

If you look at Applejack's behavior, she seems to have picked up a very strong work ethic from this, and feels that she needs to do everything herself and be self-sufficient, because if she doesn't do it, her parents aren't around to do it for her. Applebloom is too young to remember her parents, and Applejack and Big Mac sometimes to have to take on parental roles for her, because their parents are too busy being dead to raise her. Applejack is also obsessed with the concept of family and all that, mainly because she has experienced the pain of loosing both her parents at a young age, thus giving her a defining need to avoid loosing anyone else again. At some point in her life, probably right after her mother died, she tried to run away from this by going to live far away from the responsibilities her parents had left her, but in doing this, she realized that those responsibilities were hers and nopony else's, and that the life that she'd been meant for all along was worth the good honest effort that she gave it.

In short: Applejack and Big Mac are orphans who take care of their little sister and ailing grandmother while running their old family farm. That's why Applejack is the most psychologically interesting character.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)