Scared?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

GunRacer

Re: Scared?

Post by GunRacer »

Heights:
Whenever I'm on any object more than about twenty feet off the ground, I get freaked out that I'm going to run and throw myself off the ledge-- not that I ever would, of course. Lighthouses, balconies, and tall bridges all weird me out... but flying doesn't bother me in the least. Whether it's riding seven miles above the ground in an airliner or tooling around at five hundred feet in a Cub (with the windows up and the doors down, 'cause that's the only way to do it) that's not an issue. *shrugs*

Something brushing up against me in dark water.

The thought of bugs/spiders/etc. crawling over me while I'm asleep.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'm fairly certain that my fear of needles is an actual phobia. I'm also fairly certain that my fear of dark alleys is not. It likely has something to do with having one right next to my house, and having to walk half-way down it a couple times a week, every week, when I was younger to take out the trash. I think I was always convinced some dog from around the neighborhood (loose dogs, often really BIG dogs, was not at all uncommon in my town) might jump out from the darkness when I wasn't expecting it and maul me or something.

I've also got a minor fear of heights (actual heights, mind you; I don't freak out when I'm 3 feet off the ground, thinking I'm actually 20 feet off), though I imagine it's more the realization that I could severely hurt myself, or even die if I were to fall. That's just an unsettling thought. My enjoyment of things like rock and tree climbing tends to overpower that innate fear though.

Deep water that I can't see the bottom of is also pretty freaky. Part of me thinks it'd be a really amazing experience to scuba dive in open water someday, probably in a shark cage... for safety. But another part of me thinks that's a horrifyingly bad idea.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Being scared is natural and necessary for survival. Being scared makes it less likely to do something. If it was something harmful that scared you, you will avoid that something and thus avoid getting hurt!

If no one feared heights, people would randomly jump off buildings or planes without any equipment. I'm not saying that it will happen, its just that there is a likelier chance that you would do something if you weren't scared to do it.

Of course, there are the irrational fears that aren't truly necessary for survival. That's not all that bad either. We don't have to be brave at everything.

I am not sure what I am scared of. I do not define my fears because they differ on the situation. I can be scared of many things in specific situations. I might have a fear of being in darkness. It depends on how dark it is and if I know what is inside the darkness. Just being in darkness is fine, if I knew my surroundings and determined that I was safe.

(I'm not specifically responding to anyone)
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

To clarify:

I'm not worried about eating bugs in my sleep or anything like that, it's just the idea of them crawling on my body without me knowing-- improbable or not. It's not like I obsess over it or anything, but the thought does enter my mind whenever I see/kill a bug in the house.
SirSlappy

Post by SirSlappy »

I'm scared of public speaking and social situations. I also dislike being inside a crowd after awhile.
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm generally timid and shy, but if you put me in front of a crowd, I can get pretty talkative.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'm actually fairly good at public speaking if given enough time to prepare. when I get quiet (or at least when it's more noticeable) is in one-on-one conversation.
as I said, I pretty much only fear pain, which has bees and wasps as an extension.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I definitely don't fear public speaking, in fact I somewhat enjoy it, but interestingly I still get sweaty, talk faster, and start shaking. All things you'd expect from being afraid! That said, I seem to be the only person who notices this, because I tend to be told I'm a good public speaker.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I am immediately reminded of the time I was giving my Senior Project speech in front of the class.
I had memorized the entire thing. I didn't even look at the note cards once. I paced my speech and kept a steady voice.
And the whole time I was up there, the podium was vibrating as my hands shook uncontrollably.

I keep myself calm during public speaking sessions, but I can't keep my body from shaking.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

It's probably because, at least how I understand it, a lot of energy can come from the nervousness that public speaking provides, and I suppose nervousness overlaps a bit into fear.

I can act in front of people without that, but yeah, just speaking and doing that thing where you put words together as myself in front of a crowd can give me some shakes. Can't say I really fear public speaking, though; on the whole I think it's fairly enjoyable.

What I do fear (or did, at least): That giant pink inflatable ball they used in gym class in like 4th grade. That thing could have fit like a dozen of me inside (at the time) and was being thrown about recklessly in an enclosed space.
Image Image
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

This is part of a trail that's up behind my house. I went walking on it.... By myself...
Attachments
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG (178.59 KiB) Viewed 7253 times
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The self-destructive nature of the human condition.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Inali wrote:This is part of a trail that's up behind my house. I went walking on it.... By myself...
I'd walk it with you. It's pretty. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:
Inali wrote:This is part of a trail that's up behind my house. I went walking on it.... By myself...
I'd walk it with you. It's pretty. :3
Thanks, man. :3

I wasn't really scared up there, I was just cautious.... But you should know that I didn't go walking without protection; I had Mr. N, Mr. S, and Mr. T with me.
------------------

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Norris Stallone and T?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:The self-destructive nature of the human condition.

That's not scary it's the best part!
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

We have creepy forests, houses and stuff all around, especially when it's night. So creepy. ><
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Needles:

I have an issue with bleeding, so I don't like being poked with needles. This doesn't extend to things that only have a chance of making me bleed.

Acrophobia:

The fear of high places, but that's only caused cause of the idea of the ground I'm on failing and me falling a good distance to my death.

Myself:

In the end, I'm most afraid of myself, because I don't know everything I'm capable of. Namely the damage I can do with my bare hands, in that perspective.
But I do know what I'm capable of, and it scares me to think of the possibilities of it when I know nothing is certain.
Anyone who knows the feeling should know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Minor fears:

Spiders:

It's the poison that freaks me out most, but seeing them next to my feet is a little bit startling.

Death:

Basically the last thing I'm afraid of, because in the end, everything ends with it, so why do I need to fear it RIGHT NOW when it's only a fear I need to listen to only when it's looming over my head?
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Norris Stallone and T?
Haha! Good guess.... Ninjato, Shuriken, and Tanto. :3
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I prefer Norris, Stallone and T. Unless those're the names of your historically incorrect ninja weaponry.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:I prefer Norris, Stallone and T. Unless those're the names of your historically incorrect ninja weaponry.
Hey, only the Ninjato is historically incorrect. :P

Actually, there's no historical evidence that supports the Ninjato as being the straight-bladed short sword. We just have the modern renderings to go by. But, regular Wakizashi type Katana's are used in Kenjutsu, which is one of the 18 skills of Ninjutsu. Shuriken and Tanto's are historically correct, and have been used by Ninja in the past.
Last edited by Alastair on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------

yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Wait... You were walking there with a ninjato, tanto and shuriken?
I would go with my mugger knife (I called it that because it looks like something a mugger would use) and my feet.

I am afraid of small metal projectiles traveling at terminal velocity in my general direction.
Sent from my conifer.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

yehoshua wrote:Wait... You were walking there with a ninjato, tanto and shuriken?
I would go with my mugger knife (I called it that because it looks like something a mugger would use) and my feet.

I am afraid of small metal projectiles traveling at terminal velocity in my general direction.

A mugger knife sounds like good protection.
------------------

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I've taken to carrying my lockblade with me at pretty much all times. It's not because I'm afraid of things that could happen, but where my campus was down south, pretty much everyone carried one for one reason or another, so I started carrying mine out of habit. It actually comes in handy pretty often (generally for replacing scissors in cutting various things when no one else is carrying scissors or a knife of some sort).
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I carry a lighter with me
People better hope they aren't doused in gas when they mug me!!!!
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Seth wrote:I carry a lighter with me
Do you also carry around an old-school boombox with a "Disco Inferno" cassette in it?

Gotta be prepared for the inevitable trololol dance as they burn (baby burn). Having cameras installed on your regular walk routes couldn't hurt either; that way you can photoshop a rage face over your head and turn it into a wildly popular gif on the internet.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY SO I CAN BUY A TOWEL! NOW!"
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

KJOokami wrote:
Do you also carry around an old-school boombox with a "Disco Inferno" cassette in it?

Gotta be prepared for the inevitable trololol dance as they burn (baby burn). Having cameras installed on your regular walk routes couldn't hurt either; that way you can photoshop a rage face over your head and turn it into a wildly popular gif on the internet.

Pretty cool plan
but I think that running away from the flaming mugger would be a better idea.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I think that have almost no fear of death. Every man faces death by himself. Alone. I accept that.

To be perfectly honest, I fear disgrace far more than I fear death.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I think that have almost no fear of death. Every man faces death by himself. Alone. I accept that.

Death before shame.
------------------

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I think that have almost no fear of death. Every man faces death by himself. Alone. I accept that.

Sorry; couldn't resist!

:p