Chat Thread 37: Diss Wants to Be Involved

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Chat Thread 37: Diss Wants to Be Involved

Post by Sleet »

Or people who do have blood relations with you but who you never want to talk to again.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:Or people who do have blood relations with you but who you never want to talk to again.
I think we all have those in our families.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

There's one in every family, sire.

... two in mine, actually.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Let me count...

16 in mine.
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Exactly one.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

ugh
my extended family is all kinds of messed up.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I was actually just quoting Lion King (not sure if anyone caught that or not; oh well), but I really do have two people in my extended family who cause most of the drama. One of them technically has an excuse as she's clinically diagnosed with bipolar disease, but my Uncle Don is just a [really mean person].

Then again, I see my extended family so little anyway that there's rarely any drama either way. It also helps that my "extended family" pretty much consists of 6 of 7 people at this point. It sucks not getting to have those huge, fancy reunions because I think those would be pretty neat once in a while, but it certainly reduces the family-related stress.
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

adopted so i wouldn't know enough about my blood siblings to hate them that much.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My family generally got along, though family drama recently has brought out the worst in people. My mom and her sister don't seem to get along well right now, which is a shame, because I like seeing my aunt, uncle and cousins.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I don't have any family that I don't want to talk to.
just some I don't want to listen to. (my cousin who has two baby daddies and wants to be a model and is a source of all kinds of drama.)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's basically how I feel about my aunt (though she's not that bad). She's plenty nice and such but she's kind of self-centered and is wrong a lot, despite insisting she's right and wanting everyone to admit it. She even went so far as to essentially say her niece is "not a real doctor" because she knows an MD who says that and she decides to believe everything they say.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm guessing her niece did the whole Med school thing and is in fact a doctor?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My sister is a DPT.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Well that's neat. I hope she's doing well.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

You know what gets on my nerves, when people discredit nurses and their medical knowledge. They went to school people! They know plenty!
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nurses are medically educated, but at the same time not to the extent of a physician.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The focus of care is also different for doctors, nurses, and other allied healthcare professionals.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Grey Wolverine

Sleet wrote:Nurses are medically educated, but at the same time not to the extent of a physician.
Yes, this is true as an RN, but my aunt Linda for example, sees her own patients like a doctor, as she is an Nurse practitioner, she sees, diagnoses, and treats her own patients to the same capacity as a normal doctor. She also was working in a burn unit for 10 years and the horror stories Gaah! but, at the hospital she is in now, I believe South Shore in Weymouth, it doesn't have a full burn unit, as there are less than I believe 20 in the US, so when they get a burnt patient, the doctors usually have her see them, because she is the only one with any extensive knowledge of treating a burn victim.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nurse practitioners are almost the same as doctors. They are extremely well-educated.
The Grey Wolverine

Indeed. Also, I kind of realized something, my family has three trades that are prevalent. Fishermen, nurses/NPs, and HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning for those that don' know) workers, my uncles Frannie, Ralph, both my grandfathers and my family back in Newfoundland are generally fishermen, some of my aunts and even my second cousin Laurie are RNs/NPs, and my uncle Kevin, and my cousins Patrick and Neil are in the local HVAC union. Kind of weird :? .
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well it seems military is a prevalent career in my family. My grandad and uncle (both on my mom's side) were in the navy while my grandpa, grandma, uncle (all dad's side) and dad were all in the army. and it continues, because it seems my cousin (mom's side) is going into the army.

I'm not the military type, though.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There isn't a single career that runs in my family. My sister and I are both going into the medical profession, though. People are always surprised we've never had a doctor in the family before.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Most of my extended family didn't go to college so they're kind of all over the place, lots of construction or farm work.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

My Grandpa was an Engineer for NASA, which translated to my Dad as a Software Engineer, and I'm leaning in the same direction :D
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Most of my family have been chefs/cooks, including my brother and sister who both work at restaurants.

I'm currently trying to get a lot better at video games ;~;
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

There happens to be a lot of engineers and entrepreneurs in both sides of my family.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

My dad's side of the family has a long history of military involvement; he and his brother are actually the first in quite a few generations that weren't ever involved in some way.

My dad designs and installs sprinkler systems, and my mom works for a racing newspaper. My older sister has no idea what she wants to do with her career (she just graduated college), I have an idea, but it's a long-shot in reality, and my little sister is pretty sure she wants to go a similar path to what I'm doing (but she's still got a lot of time to change her mind).
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

my dad's side of the family built a town in england :3
The Grey Wolverine

That's pretty cool.
Liam

Post by Liam »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:my dad's side of the family built a town in england :3
Which one?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Not really any consistency for career choice in my family. Maybe military, as my brother and a few cousins went that route.

Biology research could have been one though - my mother considered it when she went to college, and my brother and I both considered it, though my sister actually did go that route. With the interest my brother and I have in engineering as well (which is what I do), we'd probably be making androids by now.

Hmm, maybe that's why Argo was so good.
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Liam wrote:
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:my dad's side of the family built a town in england :3
Which one?
i forget, my grandma told me a few years ago
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I am simply terrible at small talk. I was waiting to get out of the airplane when all of a sudden this guy that sat next to me that looked like he was in 20s decided to talk to me.
If you didn't talk to me the past five hours, why did you suddenly decide that you needed to talk to me now! Naturally, he started talking about sports and what university he goes to and crap. He didn't even need me in the conversation!
I just said yeah and good a bunch of times. Whenever he pauses, probably to let me speak, there would be this short awkward silence before I blurt out something stupid to keep the conversation going. Then for some reason, I kept saying thank you a lot. I almost ran out after the plane landed and hurried to my destination. I avoided eye contact, got my things, and left. Then it happened to be that the guy was going in the same direction as me. Is this a recurring problem to anyone here, or am I socially retarded?

Post by 0404 »

Wanderer wrote:I am simply terrible at small talk. I was waiting to get out of the airplane when all of a sudden this guy that sat next to me that looked like he was in 20s decided to talk to me.
If you didn't talk to me the past five hours, why did you suddenly decide that you needed to talk to me now! Naturally, he started talking about sports and what university he goes to and crap. He didn't even need me in the conversation!
I just said yeah and good a bunch of times. Whenever he pauses, probably to let me speak, there would be this short awkward silence before I blurt out something stupid to keep the conversation going. Then for some reason, I kept saying thank you a lot. I almost ran out after the plane landed and hurried to my destination. I avoided eye contact, got my things, and left. Then it happened to be that the guy was going in the same direction as me. Is this a recurring problem to anyone here, or am I socially retarded?
No, you ain't. I don't like having eye contact too, and I like to keep lowprofile somewhere that isn't school. Tho I like to have small talk but oppertunity of small talk doesn't come often to me.
Last edited by 0404 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Wanderer wrote:Is this a recurring problem to anyone here, or am I socially retarded?
You're probably socially retarded. But don't worry about it, you're definitely not alone in that. The concept of small talk completely eludes me too. Honestly, I can't even hang out with a lot of the people I consider good friends unless I have one or more of a select few people there as well who are able to keep the conversations going. Otherwise, it just ends in long, awkward silences and really bad attempts at vocal interaction. It's pretty sad. XD
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

you aren't alone. I couldn't even keep small talk going with my first girlfriend.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets

Post by 0404 »

Not everyone is bartender.
And I should learn some talking skills from bartenders. And I wish I can Sweet Talk like Maxwell. :(

@sonic da Furreh, Thanks to you, I love my new banner 'cat Lover rules'.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Ah okay, at least I'm accompanied with like people.
Haha yeah. I need speech lessons or something XD.
Apparently my facial expressions gives away a lot of what I think.
I was with my friends and everyone was cracking jokes.
Even though I wasn't in the mood for silliness, I told a joke that usually gets a lot of laughs but I said it with kind of a serious and run a marathon off face. Everyone stopped laughing right then and I felt pretty bad. Never take me to a party XD

For some reason, I'm especially good at having conversations with people I know very well, but usually end up looking like an idiot in front of people I don't know.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Honestly, I'm pretty bad with small talk too. I tend to just flail about verbally unless there's an opportunity for me to tell stories about things, or if I can change the subject to a topic I and the other person are both really interested in. At that point, I can babble on for ages.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Small talk isn't that hard if you just keep things in perspective. Just go talk to people, worst case scenario they don't like you and you're back where you started. Not sure if that'll work for anyone else but it's how I got over my social awkwardness.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz