74%
No
26%

Total votes: 149

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: POLL: So... Who here's a furry?

Post by Sleet »

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. You can't assume everyone enjoys what they do for money after all. Though in a perfect world you could.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

I was gonna pick no, since, I thought, I don't have a fursona, and I don't have any contact with the fandom.
But then I read through the replies and the interpretations of the definition, and realized that basically every time a video game or tabletop RPG has antropomorphic or sentient animal characters in it I gravitate to them - during my brief venture into WoW I only played feral druids, in Darkfall it was the mahirim, I started getting interested in Guild Wars 2 when I saw the Charr character concepts, I probably had more monstrous or lycanthrope characters in D&D than core rulebook race characters, a few weeks ago I was playing a jaguar shapeshifter in another game, the list goes on...

And just today some friends and I were making characters for a new RPG we just picked up, and I made an uplifted slightly antopomorhic crow as mine :roll:

And afterwards the one who knows me the best said he did not think I would make a character like that, he was sure I was gonna make "like a tigerman unisol or something"
And the reason I didn't was because there are no tigermen in Eclipse Phase, the neo-crow was the closest thing

So I suppose that's a definite yes, then

edit: a bit random but I'll have to complain about it because I will never be able to get it out of my head otherwise. In that CSI magic IP tracking scene, the IP address's first octet was... 359? :x
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I would normally say no, but after chatting on the IRC, apparently I'm what DarkShadow calls a "Level 1 Furry"

So I honestly don't really know anymore. .____.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

A level 1 furry is still a furry, right?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:A level 1 furry is still a furry, right?
Yes, but the poll asks if you would call yourself one, and I'm not so sure.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well do you think you're a furry? I think you're a furry, but that's not what matters, now is it?
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:Well do you think you're a furry? I think you're a furry, but that's not what matters, now is it?
I don't know...

...maybe a little.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

lol@the people attempting to define the word "furry".
I would put it in 4 more accurate categories:(based off of alex's)
Low: Think of anthropomorphic characters are cute/cool, reading furry comics(like housepets :P) .
Medium: Wishing to be an anthropomorphic character, having a fursona, drawing furries(if one is capable of drawing).
High: Wishing to be an anthropomorphic character, wearing ears, tail or a collar from time to time.
Very high(aka by some: censor): *scrubbed* , fursuiting(or wanting to), going to furry conventions.
I'd be medium.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Does "thinking it'd be cool" count as "wishing?" "Medium" describes me perfectly (if you count what I can do as "drawing") otherwise.
fenning

Post by fenning »

Medium, and also, going to furcons doesn't mean you're a fursuit wearer or something extreme like that, a lot of furcons have furry webcomic sections/stands, like 2kinds and (hopefully soon) housepets, so I would go to a furcon, but I wouldn't wear a suit unless I were paid (or if I had one, and none of my judgy friends were there).
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

fenning wrote:Medium, and also, going to furcons doesn't mean you're a fursuit wearer or something extreme like that, a lot of furcons have furry webcomic sections/stands, like 2kinds and (hopefully soon) housepets, so I would go to a furcon, but I wouldn't wear a suit unless I were paid (or if I had one, and none of my judgy friends were there).
Unless you told them it was you, how would they know?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Any friends who are at a furry convention have no right to be "judgy."
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:Any friends who are at a furry convention have no right to be "judgy."
^ This

Then again, I always worry about what people think of me, so I may not have room to talk.
I'm so paranoid....
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

you do... it's here... and you got 100 posts in just 3 days....
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

lol low

some things like ears/tail and collar aren't furry-restricted, but they don't apply to me either way
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I am curious, does a catgirl (girl with cat ears and cat tail) count as a furry?

Personally I took this question as: "Do I see myself as a furry? And when given the chance, am I willing to be a real furry?" Since my answer is no to both, so I picked no.

However, according to Alex's categories, I fall into "low" easily. (I don't really consider Housepets! as a furry comic though, but since I read Twokinds so that's no excuse.)

Furthermore, if you consider drawing Housepets! characters as drawing furries and role-playing dragonborns as fursonas. I might fall into "medium"............

......... Nah... Now I am just stretching it, I would rather be a human Wizard anyway!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Aquablast wrote:I am curious, does a catgirl (girl with cat ears and cat tail) count as a furry?

Personally I took this question as: "Do I see myself as a furry? And when given the chance, am I willing to be a real furry?" Since my answer is no to both, so I picked no.

However, according to Alex's categories, I fall into "low" easily. (I don't really consider Housepets! as a furry comic though, but since I read Twokinds so that's no excuse.)

Furthermore, if you consider drawing Housepets! characters as drawing furries and role-playing dragonborns as fursonas. I might fall into "medium"............

......... Nah... Now I am just stretching it, I would rather be a human Wizard anyway!
They have there own name (Neko girls)
so they don't need to be called Furry,
Nor do i think they are furry's.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Jakkal wrote:you do... it's here... and you got 100 posts in just 3 days....
Housepets Forums rising star HRNG...

No, not really..
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kyderra wrote:
Aquablast wrote:I am curious, does a catgirl (girl with cat ears and cat tail) count as a furry?

I think catgirls totally count as furry.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Sleet wrote:
Kyderra wrote:

I think catgirls totally count as furry.
I always saw cat-girls as not furry. But they are a gateway fetish into furry fandom.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ctcmjh wrote:I always saw cat-girls as not furry. But they are a gateway fetish into furry fandom.
Please, let's not use such a distasteful word. Let's be gentlepersons here. *sips tea*
devils

Post by devils »

i agree with sleet because he sounded sophisticated with his tea and all
Cinder:S:5 P:6 E:3 C:5 I:8 A:7 L:2
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

*reads*
*sips coffee*
*leaves*
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
ZOMG A WAFFLE

Post by ZOMG A WAFFLE »

According to the chart thingy I'm somewhat in the 'light' furry category. I don't have a fursona *yet*, so I'll just stick with that atm. But I do find anthros cool. ;)
"When you eat crackers in the bed of life, it gets all... scratchy..."
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Eeeh, even the whole "level" thing is defining furries a bit too much. The furry fandom is vague and confused about itself, but if it were tightly fitted it wouldn't be as friendly and sociable as it is.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

By that scale, I am a medium level furry with the potential of becoming a high level furry. I won't fursuit, but I think those who do are brave and awesome, and the only reason I don't go to furry conventions is that I would have a hard time explaining to my parents what a furry is, why I am one, why I want to go, what will be there, and why do I need to rent a hotel room for it, and why I am taking my girlfriend...

BUT I am working on my sewing skills so I can create tail+ear sets for my girlfriend and I!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:Eeeh, even the whole "level" thing is defining furries a bit too much. The furry fandom is vague and confused about itself, but if it were tightly fitted it wouldn't be as friendly and sociable as it is.
i think animals are cute

BRANDED FOR LIFE
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Ebly wrote:
Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:Eeeh, even the whole "level" thing is defining furries a bit too much. The furry fandom is vague and confused about itself, but if it were tightly fitted it wouldn't be as friendly and sociable as it is.
i think animals are cute

BRANDED FOR LIFE
/thread
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Yeah...My buddies say if you wear a fursuit you're a furry. I don't, so I'm not. And I'm kinda glad I'm not a furry. So whatever. Yea, changing my mind and stuff...
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Peer pressure. :P
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dr. Prower wrote:Yeah...My buddies say if you wear a fursuit you're a furry. I don't, so I'm not. And I'm kinda glad I'm not a furry. So whatever. Yea, changing my mind and stuff...
Well, your buddies are wrong. Someone who says they are furry is generally expressing an interest in anthropomorphic animals and/or creatures.
Furry's gamut of interests:

Cartoons and games
Interest in anthropomorphic animals and/or creatures can be as simple as the many popular furry cartoon characters, known as funny animals. These may include Bugs Bunny, Tony the Tiger, Sly Cooper, Star Fox, etc. However, someone who merely happens to like these characters is not necessarily a furry; the degree and nature of one's interest is relevant here.

Spirituality
Some furs believe they have a spiritual connection to a particular animal which is typically their fursona, but also may be a totem. Strong spiritual believers may often say that they are "an animal in a human body" (and in fact may identify themselves as otherkin, weres and/or therians which are their own categories and not linked to the furry fandom just by interest). Some join and find the furry fandom to be a place to be themselves, as most of these groups are underground and the furry fandom is more open to the world.

Art and creativity
Some furs may be interested only in the creative aspects of the furry fandom. Furry content, both online and off, is easy to obtain, and available in vast amounts, and furs produce new works regularly. Furry artwork is also done by many nonfurries as well in targeting the fandom. Others may disassociate themselves from the fandom and refer to themselves as funny animal artists. Furries may also enjoy role-playing a particular furry character or fursona, sometimes writing about this character or recording their online interactions for posterity.

Fursuiting
Some furries enjoy the practice of dressing up in a costume that is typically designed after a fursona.These "fursuits" are usually worn at conventions, and a few are even designed to accommodate sexual situations. Some furries opt to wear a "partial" suit, consisting of a head, tail, and paws, instead of a full fursuit; others may just wear a tail or various other pieces. While only a minority (about 15-20%) consider themselves fursuiters, they tend to be highly visible at events where many furries are present.

Sexuality
To some furs, the sexual attraction to anthropomorphic animals is a part of what makes them furry. This is a topic of much controversy, as it has been the subject of early media attention ,leading to its becoming a common conception of furry community at large. This has spawned a few groups in response with a desire to discourage this angle, or create a clear distinction between these furries and the rest of the community.
Copied from Wikifur. Of course, it doesn't mean that this is the only and right definition, but I agree with it. And come on, guys, use your brains. First, don't be "in denial", and don't try to read between the rows to find something that will make you not-furry. As I said, use your brain here. Take, for example, the first gamut. Just because you like Ratchet or Lucario doesn't mean you're furry. Think about how and why you like them. Or the second gamut. The word "fursona" has a lot of meanings. It can be something that people want to look like, for example, I would love to look like Alex, my RPing character, and that's what makes him my fursona. However, it can also be, as in the second gamut, something people think is their soul trapped in a human body.

Also, know that not all of these gamuts must apply to you to identify yourself as a furry. Only one is enough. So in the end, listen to your feelings, to your heart, don't be "in denial", use your brain and figure out if you're a furry or not.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Wow...I think I'm gonna have to agree with that definition, but I'll also add something I read from a BBC article...

Remember how Egypt used to worship animals (cats, in particular)? And, how the Indians and Africans used to believe certain aspects of animals gave them strength? A good example I personally know is how Heracles in Greek mythology gained strength from wearing armour made from a lion's skin (somebody's gonna tell me I've said that wrong, but to me it makes sense). Well, furry's are the modern day interpretation of that! Just like how other things have developed, like music, so has the people's way of treating these things!! This is just the next stage in human development in co-ordination with previous examples!

This is, somewhat, how I believed furry's came about. As you can see, I'm not thinking inside the box...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't particularly agree with the whole "animal worshipers were furries/furry progenitors." They didn't really worship them because they particularly liked animals, or thought that Egyptian gods looked cool with animal heads. It was just their religious belief that they looked that way, or dressing in animal skins would make them look tough.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I believe that each individual's definition of a furry depends on how they view them, some people can be spiteful about it, and others just accept it for what it may be.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Ow, I am sorry Alex! I thought it would be funny to post my own analyze on myself, but I guess I was wrong. I didn't mean to be "in denial", I already know my answer.
44R0NM10 wrote:Wow...I think I'm gonna have to agree with that definition, but I'll also add something I read from a BBC article...

Remember how Egypt used to worship animals (cats, in particular)? And, how the Indians and Africans used to believe certain aspects of animals gave them strength? A good example I personally know is how Heracles in Greek mythology gained strength from wearing armour made from a lion's skin (somebody's gonna tell me I've said that wrong, but to me it makes sense). Well, furry's are the modern day interpretation of that! Just like how other things have developed, like music, so has the people's way of treating these things!! This is just the next stage in human development in co-ordination with previous examples!

This is, somewhat, how I believed furry's came about. As you can see, I'm not thinking inside the box...
I believe that furries, Egyptian gods, fables, cartoons, and anthropomorphized animals all came from a single, ancient source that has existed since we began civilizing: Human nature!

We humans are incapable of creating things from thin air, what we really did is combine or modify existing stuffs. And furry is simply a result of combining human and animal characteristic.

I know it sounds incredibly simple and might not even make sense, but I think that's how furries came to be. Why, on the other hand, is a completely different question.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I think that this flash animation on Newgrounds.com does a fairly good job at describing what a furry is.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

ctcmjh wrote:I think that this flash animation on Newgrounds.com does a fairly good job at describing what a furry is.
Good read, I agree
but, what was that about VLC being furry related?
or am i conducing a video player with something else?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

what on earth since when was VLC furry

i watch videos with uncommon file types on VLC

:C
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Ebly wrote:what on earth since when was VLC furry

i watch videos with uncommon file types on VLC

:C
guess they ment this: "VCL, the largest furry/anthropomorphic artwork and story library on the Internet."

A website with a lot of mature furry artwork
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ctcmjh wrote:I think that this flash animation on Newgrounds.com does a fairly good job at describing what a furry is.
Wow, that's a pretty good overview. In a format more likely to be read than a plain text article.