Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Buster
Game Master

Re: Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Post by Buster »

I'm having trouble getting the side-view sprites to scale up correctly...

the red outline there? It looks off to me... that's as close to the right shape as I've gotten.
Attachments
Neighbour dogs (NPC) 1.png
Neighbour dogs (NPC) 1.png (31.39 KiB) Viewed 15071 times
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wow, Shadow Tarot is creepy. And like I said earlier, cute, cuddly, WILL VERY LIKELY END YOU.

And that song fit surprisingly well, Chaoko. In this context, perhaps the Shadow is filled with rage over being suppressed for so long. As the part that the character doesn't want shown, I can imagine so much turmoil seeing it appear in corporeal form.

And wow, Dayzee, such a bright username, such a dark avatar :lol:

And Buster, I see what you mean. Seems the issue is the snout size in comparison. Perhaps a bit longer and wider?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I still think you guys are trying to scare your audience with the shadows =3

The shadows are a neat concept, though. Keep it up. :D
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So don't make me angry and I won't sick my avatar on you then. :lol:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

*nerfs your avatar*

:3

Of course, I kid. I would never do that. carry on. X3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She knows where you live!

Its gonna be nice to see the characters triumph over all of their insecurities though.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Actually, if he nerfed her hard enough, she wouldn't know her own name. :mrgreen:

We're game devs remember? that term doesn't refer to toy guns with us.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Rex still looks too dark to me. :?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Im back home!
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

welcome back! :D
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Douglas Collier wrote:Rex still looks too dark to me. :?
I haven't been working on rex...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Hope your trip was a good one, Kingfan.

Also, got this.
...does anyone else feel it needs a bit something more? This was all I got.

Also, the lack of a bullet was intentional. I was going for an energy blaster, and near the end of the barrel is the power core. Thoughts?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Only comment I have is the sides. I would expect detailed numbers on the side of a laser pistol, mainly how hard one was gripping it, but other than that, it's sweet!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Looks good, and considering it's a lazer pistol you probably don't have to worry about gun accuracy. But yeah, like Cobra said, maybe the sides could use some work?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, but Cobra, I'm not sure what you mean by adding numbers. That grid is supposed to be an energy meter (not asking for an ammunition feature to be added, I always found those unnecessary in RPGs), so there's that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wonderful job on the pistol! It came out well!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, D-Rock. :)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, if you have a weapon you think needs more work, you know who to ask. ;)
hows this? (no idea what that shield shaped thing is supposed to be, not touching that)
Mostly just redid the handle so it has a better looking grip and a battery slot. Also turned the hammer into part of an over-barrel mounting rail. an energy weapon wouldn't need that part.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Epic! Thanks!

Yeah, that shield thing was my more random part. I thought to fill in the space, went with a shield, then thought, "it needs more." So I put in some "crackles" to make it look like a viewport into the fuel cell. All for effect, no way something like that would be practical.

And the "hammer" was just, well, there. Even more useless feature than the viewport.

I tried going for a Halo look with it, but decided against looking up a reference. Thought it would look more like its own thing that way.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

how about a manufacturer decal then?

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Love it!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That's not bad! Not bad at all!
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Your guns are getting alot better D-Rock!

Good job.

a little idea, after the main game. Perhaps you could go fight the shadows in various places and they would join your party.

neat little end game thing. I know i always want some cool storyline characters as bonus stuff in end game when i play.
ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, D-Rock and Buster. :)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

D-Rock wrote:Alright, but Cobra, I'm not sure what you mean by adding numbers. That grid is supposed to be an energy meter (not asking for an ammunition feature to be added, I always found those unnecessary in RPGs), so there's that.
Something like off of Star Trek if it would help. Star Trek phasers and computers would commonly have a humorously graphical number chart or light on the side of things to make it look more techy. But Buster's mod helps too. :3

UPDATE: Almost finished King, Fox and Fido's move sets. I got lazy on the animations for Fox and Fido, but i'll fix that later. Also got to know the experience system much more and found out it's better to increase Peanut, Grape and Max's experience bars to make their early game not so easy. Might have to modify monster EXP,too.
Last edited by GameCobra on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

KingFan202 wrote:Your guns are getting alot better D-Rock!

Good job.

a little idea, after the main game. Perhaps you could go fight the shadows in various places and they would join your party.

neat little end game thing. I know i always want some cool storyline characters as bonus stuff in end game when i play.
Well KingFan, as cool as that would be it wouldn't make sense to the lore or logic we've made for them. The shadows are opposites of their character; if the real one becomes emotionally weak, the shadow becomes more "real". If the shadow defeats the character they swap places, making the shadow a real pet and the original character a spirit trapped in a shadow dimension. Assumedlly, if the player beats the shadow the character gains full confidence and the shadow dissipates.
Having them join the party isn't really possible, but fighting them in multiple locations is probably how we'll go about having those fights. I also think some of the bonus party members from the story will join the party in the after game, but I'm not sure which or if this has even been confirmed by the others.
ImageImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

So would that mean Shadow Bino is a hero? :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

... alright so we're agreeing that Shadow Bino gets to stay right? :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
KingFan202 wrote:Your guns are getting alot better D-Rock!

Good job.

Well KingFan, as cool as that would be it wouldn't make sense to the lore or logic we've made for them. The shadows are opposites of their character; if the real one becomes emotionally weak, the shadow becomes more "real". If the shadow defeats the character they swap places, making the shadow a real pet and the original character a spirit trapped in a shadow dimension. Assumedlly, if the player beats the shadow the character gains full confidence and the shadow dissipates.
Having them join the party isn't really possible, but fighting them in multiple locations is probably how we'll go about having those fights. I also think some of the bonus party members from the story will join the party in the after game, but I'm not sure which or if this has even been confirmed by the others.

Thats why its fun because it doesnt seem possible, dont tell me you've never seen a game where you could get a character that you never thought you could?

But im fine with just being able to fight them post game too. beef em up for post game xD
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I believe it was mentioned that at least Shadow Peanut and Grape would be in the main game, with the rest being post game.

Also, Chaoko, that fate of losing to the shadows is both tamer and crueler than what I was thinking, but that's mainly because I'm still thinking of the shadows from Persona 4. If the person accepts their shadow, it becomes their Persona. If rejected, the shadow outright kills them. Maybe here, the darkness in their heart fully consumes them, instead of them spiritually switching places.

These are manifestations of everything they try to keep away from others, their angers, anxieties, doubts, fears, insecurities. Things we can't bear to let others see, but here they are, in physical form, taunting them IN FRONT OF OTHERS. Many have things inside them that they would rather keep hidden. It takes a special strength to face it, and it can't be done alone.

And I have always been for the extra and one-time characters to be usable in post-game! Having a team of Zach, Res, Ralph, and Max would be one of the more random possible combinations!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You just wanna make sure the shadows give everybody nightmares don't you Rocky? :mrgreen:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You just wanna make sure the shadows give everybody nightmares don't you Rocky? :mrgreen:
:shock:
...THAT'S a new one!

I don't even remember who's idea the shadows were. Quite the archive binge there. I know I suggested cursed weapons, but I think it was Buster who suggested shadow bosses. And hey, Chaoko came up with their designs.

:?: I think that was how it ended up. Anyone correct me? I'm really not sure anymore.

Honestly, my idea was for them to be like in Persona 4, looks like them but has a dark aura and yellow eyes. I prefer what we have, though.

Also, I think the creepiest one so far is Shadow Peanut. Just the combination of a playful head-tilt with a slasher smile, especially with how the teeth and eyes stand out a lot, AND the fact that he's staring right at us. Shadow Max and Tarot feel like a tie for second.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

GameCobra wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Alright, but Cobra, I'm not sure what you mean by adding numbers. That grid is supposed to be an energy meter (not asking for an ammunition feature to be added, I always found those unnecessary in RPGs), so there's that.
Something like off of Star Trek if it would help. Star Trek phasers and computers would commonly have a humorously graphical number chart or light on the side of things to make it look more techy. But Buster's mod helps too. :3
No, they don't.
Data Padds have a red or black sticker with their model number on the back, but that's it. As for phasers, only the classic versions of the type one and type two phasers have numbers on them, and then only because they use an analog dial for their power setting instead of buttons.

If a device has buttons on it they're numbered/labeled, but that's not arbitrary, they have a function: identification. Also keep in mind that every screen in startrek is implied to be a touch screen, so the labels on the icons are no less arbitrary. (the icons being nothing but colored squares was more budget than anything though. it lets them re use the same dozen console props for every computer on the ship. or any other ship.)

Redundant indicator lights were definitely a thing, though mainly in TOS & early TNG. Redundant numbers not so much.
D-Rock wrote:I don't even remember who's idea the shadows were. Quite the archive binge there. I know I suggested cursed weapons, but I think it was Buster who suggested shadow bosses. And hey, Chaoko came up with their designs.
I didn't start giving them personalities until after shadow peanut was drawn.
...hang on, i had an entire post dedicated to collecting all the shadow stuff in one place a while back, lemme see if i can find it...

Here we go! um, it looks like they were your idea Rocky.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...huh. Really is easy to lose track of who said what, isn't it?

Also, so apparently I'm Rocky.

....alright.
Hey, I'll be taking advantage of this.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Buster wrote:No, they don't.
Data Padds have a red or black sticker with their model number on the back, but that's it. As for phasers, only the classic versions of the type one and type two phasers have numbers on them, and then only because they use an analog dial for their power setting instead of buttons.

If a device has buttons on it they're numbered/labeled, but that's not arbitrary, they have a function: identification. Also keep in mind that every screen in startrek is implied to be a touch screen, so the labels on the icons are no less arbitrary. (the icons being nothing but colored squares was more budget than anything though. it lets them re use the same dozen console props for every computer on the ship. or any other ship.)

Redundant indicator lights were definitely a thing, though mainly in TOS & early TNG. Redundant numbers not so much.
Huh. somehow I recalled the first star trek and TNG having the phasers i'm thinking of. this is awkward. i'll have to remember what gun I was thinking of now. my bad.
Buster wrote:I didn't start giving them personalities until after shadow peanut was drawn.
...hang on, i had an entire post dedicated to collecting all the shadow stuff in one place a while back, lemme see if i can find it...

Here we go! um, it looks like they were your idea Rocky.
A thought about that now that we're bringing up that old post from earlier since i'm now realizing I forgot to reply to that:
Buster wrote:The shadows lacked a proper motivation, right? Well, maybe their counterpart giving into the curse and becoming a mindless monster makes them real? Like which one is an actual pet, and which one is a living shadow gets switched if their will ever completely breaks. That's why they torment their counterpart. Eroding their counterpart's will to resist the curse, by making them doubt themselves, speeds up the process.
That's the kind of thinking I like =P

Eroding the curse or making their counterpart doubt themselves more buffs up the shadow battles considerably I would say. depending if we plan on having multiple shadow battles or not.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

It's been almost two days since my internet went out, but now it's back. Hey guys! Rocky, :P that's funny.
Anyway, I'm glad to be back, and I see some interesting developments have occurred.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:It's been almost two days since my internet went out, but now it's back. Hey guys! Rocky, :P that's funny.
Anyway, I'm glad to be back, and I see some interesting developments have occurred.
SUPERSTAR IS BACK! HIDE THE SUPER SPECIAL AMAZINGLY AWESOME EPIC STORY WE MADE!
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

GameCobra wrote:
A thought about that now that we're bringing up that old post from earlier since i'm now realizing I forgot to reply to that:
Buster wrote:The shadows lacked a proper motivation, right? Well, maybe their counterpart giving into the curse and becoming a mindless monster makes them real? Like which one is an actual pet, and which one is a living shadow gets switched if their will ever completely breaks. That's why they torment their counterpart. Eroding their counterpart's will to resist the curse, by making them doubt themselves, speeds up the process.
That's the kind of thinking I like =P

Eroding the curse or making their counterpart doubt themselves more buffs up the shadow battles considerably I would say. depending if we plan on having multiple shadow battles or not.
So, you're thinking of fighting each shadow multiple times or what? I thought they would be encountered once and that was it for each of them.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

KingFan202 wrote:
SuperStar wrote:It's been almost two days since my internet went out, but now it's back. Hey guys! Rocky, :P that's funny.
SUPERSTAR IS BACK! HIDE THE SUPER SPECIAL AMAZINGLY AWESOME EPIC STORY WE MADE!
Nothing is safe, I'm gonna kill ALL the fun in this thread, :twisted:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SuperStar wrote:Nothing is safe, I'm gonna kill ALL the fun in this thread, :twisted:
GET AWAY FROM MY SPRITE (sheets)!

sorry, I've been trying to find an excuse to use one of her lines for a few days now. this post actually has nothing to do with anything.

Though while i'm on the subject of sprites, I've reworked these a few times and they still do not look right...
Attachments
Neighbour dogs (NPC) 1.png
Neighbour dogs (NPC) 1.png (43.4 KiB) Viewed 14545 times