2019/08/05 - Pulling My Tail

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Sir Chestnut

Re: 2019/08/05 - Pulling My Tail

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: I could see him getting involved as far as a sounding board and a source of practical advice for Marion, but beyond that he never really had any ability or knowledge. I wondered a while back if this might be a way to have King be some kind of councilor for the ECP. He is, in a way, uniquely qualified to help animals make the transition to society.

That would be an interesting direction to go as it would also set up a possibility for King to interact with Steward, possibly as his new nemesis.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Ash Greytree wrote:

That would be awesome, but it seems that Lois is still referring to Marion as "her". Jess didn't even correct Lois to tell her to refer to Marion with he/him pronouns. That might be what happens next, or Jess says "Take real good care of Marion", and Lois tries to "correct" her on who Marion really is, with Marion chiming in as well saying that it actually is him. Lois won't believe him. Marion could point out that Lois' matching bracelet (which is conveniently on her left wrist, which isn't covered by a glove), and tell her details about the day they made those bracelets to really convince her it's him:

Lois: Yeah, right. Like heck you're Marion. If this is all a prank, he's going real far with it...
Marion: [Pointing to Lois' bracelet.] In 8th Grade we took that art class together. While we were making our bracelets in class, our teacher Mr. Rosenblatt accidentally knocked over the shelf with all the paint on it. It took nearly a month for it all to wash off of the floor, our shoes... almost everything, really. That was back when you were huge into anime; I remember you were absolutely ticked that your favorite Naruto shirt got ruined.
Lois: [She starts remembering that day too and joins in on the conversation, humorously not yet realizing what it means that the squirrel knows about this.] It was the one with Sasuke doing that pose and the stupid edgy text on it. I can't believe I was such a huge dork back the- [She then realizes that it's him and is visibly shocked, bringing the squirrel up to her face which has a visibly shocked expression on it.] Holy crap, MARION?!?
Marion: [With his arms folded and a slightly smug look on his face] So do you finally believe me, or do you want me to go on about the saucy fanfic blog you ran as well?

Lois: But you’re a-. My boyfriend is now a-<faints>.
Marion: Oh, for dog’s sake! <starts slapping Lois’ face>
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Argent

Post by Argent »

Random appropriate authority (Kitsune Statue, Tarot, old man who speaks only in limericks):

"I'm sorry to say you're stuck and,
You'll live as a squirrel to the end,
The only solution,
To your confusion,
Is to squirrelify your girlfriend"

Lois/Marion: WHAT!?

Karishad: "[He/she/it] says YOU can't turn back but YOU can be turned into a squirrel and stay together."

Marion: "You'd do that for me?"

Lois: "Heck no, toodles."

Truck: "Oh well, there's plenty of fish in the trees."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

dr_eirik wrote:And you have no idea how much I wanted to just call this Chekhov's Phaser....
wouldn't that mean it would spontaneously break for dramatic tension and or comic relief purposes? Movies aside, Pavel Checkov got Worfed more often than Worf.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote: Then from there, a very curious and concerned Fox & Fido may make the decision to either 1) Take Marion back to the station for questioning, and then getting their supernatural experts involved, or 2) Go directly to the house of their preferred supernatural expert. The K-9's allow Lois to tag along in either of these scenarios because after that revelation, they know there's no way she'd leave that squirrel alone with them.
I mentioned the station as a possible destination above, but that was just covering bases. Its actually possible that Lois ditched the K9s, but that seems unlikely. If the pairing was different, say Fox and Ralph or Fido and Terrance, then you might have had them go back to the station just because one couldn't figure out how to hide this from the other. But here, they are both aware of magic(k) and know exactly who to go to.

The only way I can't see that happening is if Lois somehow is there alone, or if Steward showed up and changes Lois. Which, to be fair, would go a long way to supporting Marions claim that he's now a squirrel. :)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, phew! :P Good that's Lois who finally caught Marion. :D Eheh, that pose! :lol: But, was Lois really dealing with Jessica in order to catch Marion? And now Lois has to pay Jessica this little redemption for that? :? Anyway, Jessica must really love sandwiches, they have more value than anything. :D Good that this thing is now solved, now will need to know how get Marion to his human form...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

trekkie wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote: That would be awesome, but it seems that Lois is still referring to Marion as "her". Jess didn't even correct Lois to tell her to refer to Marion with he/him pronouns. That might be what happens next, or Jess says "Take real good care of Marion", and Lois tries to "correct" her on who Marion really is, with Marion chiming in as well saying that it actually is him. Lois won't believe him. Marion could point out that Lois' matching bracelet (which is conveniently on her left wrist, which isn't covered by a glove), and tell her details about the day they made those bracelets to really convince her it's him:

Lois: Yeah, right. Like heck you're Marion. If this is all a prank, he's going real far with it...
Marion: [Pointing to Lois' bracelet.] In 8th Grade we took that art class together. While we were making our bracelets in class, our teacher Mr. Rosenblatt accidentally knocked over the shelf with all the paint on it. It took nearly a month for it all to wash off of the floor, our shoes... almost everything, really. That was back when you were huge into anime; I remember you were absolutely ticked that your favorite Naruto shirt got ruined.
Lois: [She starts remembering that day too and joins in on the conversation, humorously not yet realizing what it means that the squirrel knows about this.] It was the one with Sasuke doing that pose and the stupid edgy text on it. I can't believe I was such a huge dork back the- [She then realizes that it's him and is visibly shocked, bringing the squirrel up to her face which has a visibly shocked expression on it.] Holy crap, MARION?!?
Marion: [With his arms folded and a slightly smug look on his face] So do you finally believe me, or do you want me to go on about the saucy fanfic blog you ran as well?
Lois: But you’re a-. My boyfriend is now a-<faints>.
Marion: Oh, for dog’s sake! <starts slapping Lois’ face>
She doesn't strike me as a fainter. I liked "toodles" better. But she does strike me as someone who would have a saucy fanfic blog. I wonder if she's into furry lit. If not now would be a good time to start to find information on how to deal with this situation.

Lois: Okay, I googled it and found a site called Fur Affinity.
Marion: Sounds weird. Should we check it out?
Lois: Why not? What's the worst thing that could happen?
Lois clicks the link.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: She doesn't strike me as a fainter. I liked "toodles" better. But she strike me as someone who would have a saucy fanfic blog. I wonder if she's into furry lit. If not now would be a good time to start to find information on how to deal with this situation.
I loved the "toddles" thing, too. I just don't see her doing that to Marion in the short term. I also don't really see her volunteering to be a squirrel just to be with him, nor do I see him "allowing" it. I mean, it's not like he could stop her if he wanted, but I can't imagine that he'd want his new life for her.

Assuming everyone stays in their current bodies (not a certainty, of course) I assume that Lois would essentially take Marion on as her "pet". Basically that he goes to live at home, but his mother is uncomfortable dealing with the reality so directly so he goes to live with her.. Or, thanks to ECP and strings/money pulled by the Miltons, they go to the same college. If its local, then they both can still interact with the pets from time to time.

I've long considered starting a thread called "Overthinking the Housepets Universe" to ask questions like "Do parents use trusted dogs as babysitters for human kids?" or "Was Bugs Bunny in HP a real rabbit?" Feels like "Furry" would be another that would be really different in HP. If it even exists. (BTW, never started that thread because I feel like it would devolve into unwarranted criticism of the setting, and no one needs that.)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:(again the coin DOES have to be used eventually)
Why do you keep mindlessly repeating that?
I believe that this relates back to a literary theory called Chekhov's Gun. Basically, if you introduce a gun in the first act, it must be used by the final one. The coin has come up ominously twice now, once when Steward was first allowed into the tree house and he's staring at his reflection in it, and very recently when he's casually flipping it in the air after meeting Marion. If Rick didn't have plans for it, it's hard to see why he'd remind us of it.

Now, using the coin doesn't mean it gets used to transform someone, anymore than Chekhov's Gun needs to be used to shoot someone. Its just as likely that it will be used as a threat.

And you have no idea how much I wanted to just call this Chekhov's Phaser....

Or "Chekov's Terrance"? Think we'll see him again?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: She doesn't strike me as a fainter. I liked "toodles" better. But she strike me as someone who would have a saucy fanfic blog. I wonder if she's into furry lit. If not now would be a good time to start to find information on how to deal with this situation.
I loved the "toddles" thing, too. I just don't see her doing that to Marion in the short term. I also don't really see her volunteering to be a squirrel just to be with him, nor do I see him "allowing" it. I mean, it's not like he could stop her if he wanted, but I can't imagine that he'd want his new life for her.

Assuming everyone stays in their current bodies (not a certainty, of course) I assume that Lois would essentially take Marion on as her "pet". Basically that he goes to live at home, but his mother is uncomfortable dealing with the reality so directly so he goes to live with her.. Or, thanks to ECP and strings/money pulled by the Miltons, they go to the same college. If its local, then they both can still interact with the pets from time to time.

I've long considered starting a thread called "Overthinking the Housepets Universe" to ask questions like "Do parents use trusted dogs as babysitters for human kids?" or "Was Bugs Bunny in HP a real rabbit?" Feels like "Furry" would be another that would be really different in HP. If it even exists. (BTW, never started that thread because I feel like it would devolve into unwarranted criticism of the setting, and no one needs that.)
I hope she doesn’t leave him that might be too much for our squirrel. I agree that she probably won’t just because she doesn’t seem like the type to do that, and I don’t think Rick would do that Marion or us. We don’t know much about his mom, as the only time we saw her was when she thought Marion was at school or Lois’. She might accept Marion if she gets proof that he is that squirrel. Do we know that Lois and Marion live in Babylon Gardens? The K-9s might patrol other neighborhoods . The one thing that makes me think they might not live in BG is that we didn’t see a pet at Marion’s.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:

Or "Chekov's Terrance"? Think we'll see him again?
Hard to say. What little we know about him he doesn't seem anymore important in this situation than any other K9 (other than Fox and Fido). He might have been in that strip just to prove that we were, in fact, at the local P.D.

I hope Rick finds a way to include him, just because in his one real appearance he was so delightfully goofy it would be nice to see him in action again. Unless he was off-panel with Lois, I just don't see (yet) in what capacity.
trekkie wrote:
I hope she doesn’t leave him that might be too much for our squirrel. I agree that she probably won’t just because she doesn’t seem like the type to do that, and I don’t think Rick would do that Marion or us. We don’t know much about his mom, as the only time we saw her was when she thought Marion was at school or Lois’. She might accept Marion if she gets proof that he is that squirrel. Do we know that Lois and Marion live in Babylon Gardens? The K-9s might patrol other neighborhoods . The one thing that makes me think they might not live in BG is that we didn’t see a pet at Marion’s.
If he didn't live in Babylon Gardens, then it's a close neighborhood. The treehouse was close enough for Marion to get to in short order. I also don't think there's any pet at Marions, since he didn't interact with one at all.

It might be interesting to discover that LOIS is the owner of a pet we know. There are a bunch of possibilities there. Could be anyone from Tarot (perhaps Tarot has managed to keep her magic(k) use on the down-low) to Daisy. Just not a K9, since Lois would have gone straight to them and bypassed the cops.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
trekkie wrote:
If he didn't live in Babylon Gardens, then it's a close neighborhood. The treehouse was close enough for Marion to get to in short order. I also don't think there's any pet at Marions, since he didn't interact with one at all.

It might be interesting to discover that LOIS is the owner of a pet we know. There are a bunch of possibilities there. Could be anyone from Tarot (perhaps Tarot has managed to keep her magic(k) use on the down-low) to Daisy. Just not a K9, since Lois would have gone straight to them and bypassed the cops.
Even if it’s not “confirmed” Marion living in Babylon Gardens is one of those things that doesn’t need to be confirmed because it’s supposed to be simple. Clarity is important but there have been more context clues that support that Marion at least lives in BG. The K9 for starters, Mrs McGillicuddy being as close as she is to Jess’s house, the treehouse being so close to his house. Rick would have nothing to gain and more to lose if Marion lives in the next neighborhood over or across town for some reason.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Ever heard of Chekhov's gun?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Jess,"integrity"?
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Frank wrote:Jess,"integrity"?
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means
inconceivable!
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Together at last. Now the healing can begin!
Xane wrote:Sandwich payment still doesn't count as Doing It For Free!
Tell that to the guys who wrote labor laws.
fenrirblack wrote:I honestly had more faith in Jess. To think she could be bribed so easily but it’s not like it’s the first time she worked for a sandwich. I wonder if that’s a possum thing or if Lois and Jess have history.
It's a poor-food-options-and-lots-of-apathy thing.
leinglo wrote:At this point, this is probably the best possible outcome. Assuming Marion can convince Lois of his identity (who wants to bet it will involve telling a really embarrassing secret known only to the two of them), he's probably safer with her than he is anywhere else.
Marion: tells embarrassing secret.
Lois: How do I know Marion didn't tell you that to keep up with the prank.
Marion:tells the mother of all secrets, the most secretest of secrets, the one secret to rule them all
Lois (blushing heavily): ....................I'm SO gonna dump him when I find him.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:
leinglo wrote:At this point, this is probably the best possible outcome. Assuming Marion can convince Lois of his identity (who wants to bet it will involve telling a really embarrassing secret known only to the two of them), he's probably safer with her than he is anywhere else.
Marion: tells embarrassing secret.
Lois: How do I know Marion didn't tell you that to keep up with the prank.
Marion:tells the mother of all secrets, the most secretest of secrets, the one secret to rule them all
Lois (blushing heavily): ....................I'm SO gonna dump him when I find him.
It would probably be easier for her to ask him a question than for him to tell her a secret.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVpLBIlTMU
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Bonus points also if the question that Lois asks is really humiliating and it is in front of the K9PD. :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

There is another possibility, albeit one I dont think will happen: Lois doesn't believe him. For her, the idea is so absurd that nothing this lying rodent says will penetrate. It takes some major incident (like an act of God... or at least Kisune) to convince her. Kitsune for reasons can't fix Marion, but can turn Lois into a chipmunk for an afternoon. Or she does encounter the coin and either witnesses it first hand or is TF'd.

Added this morning because I'm weird..
fenrirblack wrote: Lois: Okay, I googled it and found a site called Fur Affinity.
Marion: Sounds weird. Should we check it out?
Lois: Why not? What's the worst thing that could happen?
Lois clicks the link.
<Marion looks at the image, turning his head almost upside down like an owl>
Maion: You know, if you just...
Lois: One more word and we're going to see if you're actually a flying squirrel.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey it is likely that Marion most likely will be scarred by this experience here. We don't need to scar Lois by having her wander onto the horrors of FurAffinity. XD
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

fenrirblack wrote:It would probably be easier for her to ask him a question than for him to tell her a secret.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVpLBIlTMU
I hope Lois ask a different question.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
zoogi1

Post by zoogi1 »

I immagine Jess has seen a footlong sandwich before. Lois might need to get a giant catering sub to satisfy the deal. Those start at 52 USD before tax according to Subway's Catering menu: https://catering.subway.com/Cart/Produc ... 1668252645 . I wonder if that's within her budget. I've no idea what teenage allowances are like these days
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

zoogi1 wrote:I immagine Jess has seen a footlong sandwich before. Lois might need to get a giant catering sub to satisfy the deal. Those start at 52 USD before tax according to Subway's Catering menu: https://catering.subway.com/Cart/Produc ... 1668252645 . I wonder if that's within her budget. I've no idea what teenage allowances are like these days
I suspect that it won't matter. Teenagers always have a source of ready cash...

Lois: Mom! Can you order a party sub with everything from Kelsos Deli?
Mom: What? Why? And though you didn't like ham?
Lois: It's paying off a bribe for the possum that live out in the woods. She helped me find Marion.
Mom: Fine, you expect me to bring it to her?
Lois: No, she said those raccoons would pick it up.
Mom: Truck and... Fal-something? Fine, but they are not allowed in the house!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, so with a guest week coming up that means that this current chapter will end on the 14th. That means Part 3 will be a total of 13 strips compared to part 2’s 14 and part 1’s 16. So with four strips remaining let’s see what we can do in that short amount of time.

7th- Marion explains who he is and Lois eventually believes him with or without persuasion from Fox.
9th- we go see Tarot
12th- Tarot examines him and says that there is nothing she can do
14th- Tarot explains that they need help from else where leading our heroes to the next step on there quest. Either Kitsune or simply take Marion home.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, so with a guest week coming up that means that this current chapter will end on the 14th. That means Part 3 will be a total of 13 strips compared to part 2’s 14 and part 1’s 16. So with four strips remaining let’s see what we can do in that short amount of time.

7th- Marion explains who he is and Lois eventually believes him with or without persuasion from Fox.
9th- we go see Tarot
12th- Tarot examines him and says that there is nothing she can do
14th- Tarot explains that they need help from else where leading our heroes to the next step on there quest. Either Kitsune or simply take Marion home.
Not unlikely, I suppose he could drag out the explanation so it ends with them heading out to get help. I suppose if Steward is going to appear sooner than later we might end on him.

Rick has jumped past thing in this story before. I think we were all expecting at least a few showing the K9s path to Jessica. Next page could be at Tarots, Sabrina's or Lois' house with Marion's having convinced her off panel.

I would not be shocked if we get a totally unrelated breather in between this arc and the next. I've reached acceptance that this story is in it for the long haul.

I'll put my coin down now. This story will not reach a conclusion until we are in Dragons Temple in Egypt.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

dr_eirik wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
I believe that this relates back to a literary theory called Chekhov's Gun. Basically, if you introduce a gun in the first act, it must be used by the final one. The coin has come up ominously twice now, once when Steward was first allowed into the tree house and he's staring at his reflection in it, and very recently when he's casually flipping it in the air after meeting Marion. If Rick didn't have plans for it, it's hard to see why he'd remind us of it.

Now, using the coin doesn't mean it gets used to transform someone, anymore than Chekhov's Gun needs to be used to shoot someone. Its just as likely that it will be used as a threat.

And you have no idea how much I wanted to just call this Chekhov's Phaser....
Postcard wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Ever heard of Chekhov's gun?
I am familiar with Chekhov's gun (one person mentioning it was plenty). For the moment let's set aside that Housepets! is a continuously running series so it's possible Rick Griffin hasn't fleshed out what the coin is going to do and might be holding out until a good idea strikes him. Fenrirblack is using this excerpt as evidence to support his claim that Steward is going to turn other humans into animals, but it's practically a fallacy. The point here is what dr_eirik is getting at in his second paragraph. The literary theory of Chekhov's gun dictates the coin will be used eventually, not that the coin will be used eventually by Steward. He could lose it or have it stolen from him before he has an opportunity to use it. Furthermore, Chekhov's gun is a literary trope, not a law (a trope with a sound basis, but a trope nonetheless). Rick doesn't have to write a big payoff for it if he doesn't want to. Look at what happened with Joel's soul/watch. At the end of Not All Dogs it had all the hallmarks of being Chekhov's gun, but it didn't come back up until years later when it was put to rest without doing anything. There's no ambiguity that it had zero effect on the story because Cerberus confirmed she dovetailed picking it up with with offering Joel a "Heavenly" vacation. I suppose you could argue it falls under the legal definition of "used" since there are four panels and some jokes about it, but I'm sure fenrirblack did not have in mind something like "one day Great Kitsune is taking a stroll with Kix in the forest. When he happens upon Steward, he snaps his fingers and the the cursed treasure disappears, then continues on his way" when he wrote that.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote: For the moment let's set aside that Housepets! is a continuously running series so it's possible Rick Griffin hasn't fleshed out what the coin is going to do and might be holding out until a good idea strikes him. Fenrirblack is using this excerpt as evidence to support his claim that Steward is going to turn other humans into animals, but it's practically a fallacy. The point here is what dr_eirik is getting at in his second paragraph. The literary theory of Chekhov's gun dictates the coin will be used eventually, not that the coin will be used eventually by Steward. He could lose it or have it stolen from him before he has an opportunity to use it. Furthermore, Chekhov's gun is a literary trope, not a law (a trope with a sound basis, but a trope nonetheless). Rick doesn't have to write a big payoff for it if he doesn't want to. Look at what happened with Joel's soul/watch. At the end of Not All Dogs it had all the hallmarks of being Chekhov's gun, but it didn't come back up until years later when it was put to rest without doing anything. There's no ambiguity that it had zero effect on the story because Cerberus confirmed she dovetailed picking it up with with offering Joel a "Heavenly" vacation. I suppose you could argue it falls under the legal definition of "used" since there are four panels and some jokes about it, but I'm sure fenrirblack did not have in mind something like "one day Great Kitsune is taking a stroll with Kix in the forest. When he happens upon Steward, he snaps his fingers and the the cursed treasure disappears, then continues on his way" when he wrote that.
Yes, all that stuff could happen but realistically like really really realistically Steward is the most likely candidate to use it. Again even if the possibility exists that the coin could disappear for no good reason that wouldn't make sense from a story telling perspective anymore than it would for the coin to be lost or fall into the hands of someone other than Steward to use. If Steward does team up with someone or manipulates someone to use the coin then good for him but until that day nothing is going to change.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Right now I am just gonna read the comics and wait to see what happens with the coin. I'm hoping that Lois isn't also transformed because I do want there to be a human protagonist in this arc in addition to Marion.