Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
trekkie

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by trekkie »

Well, yeah, but I meant that in Gallifrax Max broke down in Dragon’s rainstorm and in The Maxwell Thing he was in the hot tub. Sorry, I should’ve been stayed that explicitly.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh so you mean that you can see the tears even if he's wet. OK. I get you now.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I noticed that Pete's shirt changes almost every panel he's in during Heaven's Not Enough, one of which is Batty's Teardrops in the Rain monologue from Blade Runner.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well of course it is going to change every time. He's a celestial and he tries not to be boring so he is gonna change it up. :P
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I think like a lot of things the Ferrets do, I don't seem to really realize just what they are saying or doing until I go back. I noticed this one not that long ago.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... erm-lodge/

I'm not sure why I didn't realize that Keene was talking about there being an actual elephant in the room at the time.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not sure how you didn't realize that either because that elephant sure isn't inconspicuous. XD
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... ning-move/

The alt-text here is what Kitsune's statue says on the base.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't be surprised if at one point when we see the statue again that the phrase on the base changes completely like Pete's shirt did during the time he was wearing it.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if at one point when we see the statue again that the phrase on the base changes completely like Pete's shirt did during the time he was wearing it.
It already has.
ImageImageImage
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I mean that it changed completely to something else and not just some variation of "Or was it?" which it seems to be doing in the strips.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

In this strip: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... -business/ the characters are standing like in da Vinci's Last Supper.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

LunarFox wrote:In this strip: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... -business/ the characters are standing like in da Vinci's Last Supper.
that was noticed at the time. of particular importance is that Keene is in the place of Judas.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Though in this case, instead of betrayal by a kiss, it saved them.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

In the very next comic, Breel says it would be a very bad sign if something hurt him. No kidding.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking that at the time everybody meant physically instead of emotionally.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ok, this one is slightly confusing to me. After King and Fox leave Heaven, Fox doesn't really remember much, to the point where he doesn't fully grasp why King keeps calling him Casanova. Obviously, that's a reference to the two Huskies he meets and spends time with while there, but seems to forget after.

But, he is already wearing tokens on his bandana to represent them immediately. It's not until the the K9PD arc that he seems to realize there is something in his memory coming out, and not until Temple Crashers that he is reintroduced to them. Even then, he has to ask Tarot to explain what's happening.

So why is he putting those pins on his bandana? What does he think he's doing?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I just realized Grape is napping in her bed because Miles is using the couch.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm guessing that her bed is so uncomfortable that she will only use it if its the last place she can sleep in. 8-)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Bino doesn't call his owner "Dad". I think that's the only time I've ever seen that with one of the pets.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Given the fact that Jeff tends to treat Bino like a piece of crap, I am thinking that would be why since at times he does seem neglectful or doesn't care.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Given the fact that Jeff tends to treat Bino like a piece of crap, I am thinking that would be why since at times he does seem neglectful or doesn't care.
With Bino, it does seem there is blame to go around. After all, Jeff seems to care about Max and Max calls him Dad. Does Jeff treat him different because Bino has always had a bad attitude, or did the bad attitude come from Jeffs treatment?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

One of the many things that we need to find out sometime..
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Oh, that brings up a potentially heart rending arc. Jeff finally gets fed up with Bino and decides to give him away. Either surrendering him to the animal shelter or to someone who lives far away. Now the rest of the pets have to decide if to help him, or finally be done with him.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I don’t think it’ll happen, but that would be an interesting arc. I think that Max, Joey, Fido, and Peanut would try and help Bino, along with their girlfriends. I don’t think that Duchess will give a carp. If nothing else it might Bino that Duchess doesn’t care for him.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

trekkie wrote:I don’t think it’ll happen, but that would be an interesting arc. I think that Max, Joey, Fido, and Peanut would try and help Bino, along with their girlfriends. I don’t think that Duchess will give a carp. If nothing else it might Bino that Duchess doesn’t care for him.
It would be hard to get much humor out of this kind of story. The stakes would feel very real. Especially since we know that even if Bino were to pass away, he would go to Heaven, which here is a known and real place that we've actually seen. So being tormented with being surrendered or given away would break him.

I suspect, too, that even Fox would help. He is nothing if not loyal, even if he really isn't friends with Bino anymore. King and Bailey? I think they'd sit this one out.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote:Ok, this one is slightly confusing to me. After King and Fox leave Heaven, Fox doesn't really remember much, to the point where he doesn't fully grasp why King keeps calling him Casanova. Obviously, that's a reference to the two Huskies he meets and spends time with while there, but seems to forget after.

But, he is already wearing tokens on his bandana to represent them immediately. It's not until the the K9PD arc that he seems to realize there is something in his memory coming out, and not until Temple Crashers that he is reintroduced to them. Even then, he has to ask Tarot to explain what's happening.

So why is he putting those pins on his bandana? What does he think he's doing?
I think Spring and Summer put them there, and he figures the pins are important in some way since he left heaven with them, even though he doesn't remember how he got them or why they're there.

He seems a bit perplexed as to why they're there when discussing his memories with King.

Last edited by Sir Chestnut on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yup, pretty sure they were placed there by them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Judging from their reactions when Fox never bothered to contact them again, I'm thinking that they would have thought the pins would have kept his memory of them alive.

Also, I thought the pins were stickers at first. :shock:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

OK, that makes sense. He knows its connected to Heaven and important, but not exactly how or why.

Though the specific comic that Sir Chestnut posted actually brings up something else that's tangential. Why are Bruce and Roosevelt there?

It seems obvious at first, they are there to act as guides or something. But they vanish after this strip and don't reappear until they discover their plane tickets have been cashed in. Realizing that the Miltons have more money than sense, I don't see why they'd take them along just to visit their family.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Judging from their reactions when Fox never bothered to contact them again, I'm thinking that they would have thought the pins would have kept his memory of them alive.

Also, I thought the pins were stickers at first. :shock:
I kind of assumed they were pins, I'm not sure the comic ever really goes into any detail. about them ever.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:OK, that makes sense. He knows its connected to Heaven and important, but not exactly how or why.

Though the specific comic that Sir Chestnut posted actually brings up something else that's tangential. Why are Bruce and Roosevelt there?

It seems obvious at first, they are there to act as guides or something. But they vanish after this strip and don't reappear until they discover their plane tickets have been cashed in. Realizing that the Miltons have more money than sense, I don't see why they'd take them along just to visit their family.
Actually now that you point it out, why are they there. I always thought they tagged along out of coincidence like on vacation to visit their families but the Milton's did pay their way so they had to have had a point to go but it was never delved into.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that the only reason why they came was because they saw it as an opportunity to see their families. In the strip just posted in this topic, the two are talking about how one's mother won't accept the fact that the other is a gray kangaroo.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm pretty sure that the only reason why they came was because they saw it as an opportunity to see their families. In the strip just posted in this topic, the two are talking about how one's mother won't accept the fact that the other is a gray kangaroo.

That is kind of the obvious answer, but doesn't explain why the Milton's paid for them to fly with the group. It seems like they had a purpose that was never fulfilled.

Unless that purpose was simply to set up the later Christmas strip when Keene fills their zoo-home with gifts as a way of apology for abandoning them. If that's the case, that is some real planning ahead!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe they initially set up their trip, then when the game went on, they went up to them and basically said, "hey, turns out we have business there, too, we'll be tagging along as a group."
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:Maybe they initially set up their trip, then when the game went on, they went up to them and basically said, "hey, turns out we have business there, too, we'll be tagging along as a group."
I guess that's possible, but doesn't explain why Rock cashed in their tickets in the end. Other than being purely a set up for this:

BTW, to keep with the general tone of this thread, I'd forgotten the post scripts that Keene left on his note.

And since I'm actively trying to avoid anything productive at work today, I found myself skimming a different arc and found this strip:

This goes back to the strip that I noted earlier where Bino calls Jeff his owner rather than Dad. Here, it's actually in quotes, I'm sure to imply that he doesn't really mean it, but uses it as a social convention only.

Also, I think this strip is a lot of the source for the idea that Jeff treats Bino badly, but I'm not sure how much here is his fault. No one called him (Bino a few strips later is revealed to have contacted Duchess, who did nothing) and Max likely kept telling him that Bino was just with his B... girlfriend. Seems that he did start looking once enough time had passed.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That strip didn't really start it for me but seemingly confirmed it for me. In an older page, Jeff bought Bino a shock collar. OK that's fine. It is a little weird but if they have them then it must be used for difficult pets and is OK. My problem was how easily Jeff lost the remote and shrugged it off (it ended up in Peanut's hands who used it to shock Bino for entertainment). He seems to be a bit passive when it comes to Bino but it also looks like he could be construed as being abusive.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That strip didn't really start it for me but seemingly confirmed it for me. In an older page, Jeff bought Bino a shock collar. OK that's fine. It is a little weird but if they have them then it must be used for difficult pets and is OK. My problem was how easily Jeff lost the remote and shrugged it off (it ended up in Peanut's hands who used it to shock Bino for entertainment). He seems to be a bit passive when it comes to Bino but it also looks like he could be construed as being abusive.
I'm still struggling to see Jeff as flat out abusive, especially since he seems to care for Max as well as any of the other pet owners we've seen. Bino seems to be just a hard case. In the two strips that started the arc that strip above is from, he goes to Foxes house and insults both King and Bailey without provocation (and Fox in abstention, actually). OK, all three have a history, but Bino has always been depicted as basically a school-yard bully.

It's not hard to imagine that Jeff has a hard time dealing with Bino. Especially since his dogs two brothers turned out much better.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's easy for people to jump to an extreme, I've learned. That's the vibe I'm getting regarding Jeff. Even Sabrina and Bailey weren't safe from that.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:It's easy for people to jump to an extreme, I've learned. That's the vibe I'm getting regarding Jeff. Even Sabrina and Bailey weren't safe from that.
I was off the forum more or less for years. I remember people taking issue with Sabrina, especially her kind of unfair kick against Bailey in the Game, but what did people not like about Bailey?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Basically that she stole King away from Fox.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:Basically that she stole King away from Fox.
Huh. Not sure what answer I expected, but that was not it.