2019/11/04 - Repetition

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
dr_eirik

Re: 2019/11/04 - Repetition

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
tychoaussie wrote:It is just me, or does Lois look buffed up, with some muscle underneath all that Lynx fur?
...it's part of the standard transformation.
She's also not a lynx, but the closely related bobcat. I asked on a live stream a few days ago and got it straight from the roo's mouth.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
tychoaussie wrote:It is just me, or does Lois look buffed up, with some muscle underneath all that Lynx fur?
She's also not a lynx, but the closely related bobcat. I asked on a live stream a few days ago and got it straight from the roo's mouth.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
johnwolf

Post by johnwolf »

well, if Marion is a female squirrel, then, is it possible that Lois is a Male Lynx

also, Lois is BUFF! that change really improved their physique.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

johnwolf wrote:well, if Marion is a female squirrel, then, is it possible that Lois is a Male Lynx

Yeah, though we don't know enough about her to know if she was athletic before. And she could still be female, as it's been pointed out, Gale has an almost identical body structure to Lois now.

The gender thing is going to be endlessly speculated about until we get confirmation, which seems like it would be quick. I have to think if it's changed, it's going to get mentioned at least in passing in the next couple pages
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
johnwolf wrote:well, if Marion is a female squirrel, then, is it possible that Lois is a Male Lynx

Yeah, though we don't know enough about her to know if she was athletic before. And she could still be female, as it's been pointed out, Gale has an almost identical body structure to Lois now.

The gender thing is going to be endlessly speculated about until we get confirmation, which seems like it would be quick. I have to think if it's changed, it's going to get mentioned at least in passing in the next couple pages
I’ve already pointed out reasons why changing Lois to a male is a bad idea (plot relevance for one) but it is getting harder to deny the possibility that its has. Lois looks much more similar to the cubs than say Lucretia or Elaine or Snow. Gale is the obvious exception which raises the question if all large felines are extra muscular regardless of gender or was Gale an exception because she needed to be muscular for the sake of the plot. Remember that her goal was to capture and contain the entire pack so she had to be buff to do that.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: I’ve already pointed out reasons why changing Lois to a male is a bad idea (plot relevance for one) but it is getting harder to deny the possibility that its has. Lois looks much more similar to the cubs than say Lucretia or Elaine or Snow. Gale is the obvious exception which raises the question if all large felines are extra muscular regardless of gender or was Gale an exception because she needed to be muscular for the sake of the plot. Remember that her goal was to capture and contain the entire pack so she had to be buff to do that.
I would stop short, at least for now, of calling her becoming male a bad idea until we see if it is ever paid off. Rick has a history of dropping things like this into the story and then taking upwards of years to pay them off. Perhaps the gender thing will show someone (Kitsune, Tarot, Sabrina) that this isn't the work of the coin. Something like that.

Hmm... long term, assuming she's physically male and stays in Babylon Gardens for the time being, does Grape develop a bit of a crush on Lois? Seems the most likely character to do so.

On the flip side, if she's still female, does Fido's eye wander? He doesn't seem the type, but who knows.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: I’ve already pointed out reasons why changing Lois to a male is a bad idea (plot relevance for one) but it is getting harder to deny the possibility that its has.
I would stop short, at least for now, of calling her becoming male a bad idea until we see if it is ever paid off.
I'm kinda with Fenrir on this point. It's a pretty superfluous detail as written. It mainly just comes across as fanservice-y. But it causes no structural or thematic trouble at the moment, so it doesn't really hurt the story in any significant way, other than being a minor distraction, raising questions the plot seems unconcerned with. I'm hesitant to call it a really bad idea, but it's not really a good idea either. For the moment, it's something I choose to ignore and will continue to do so until it puts itself in a position that I can't ignore it anymore.
Robotech_Master

Post by Robotech_Master »

Of course, if Lois was now male, you'd think Marion would have, well, noticed already. After all, Lois noticed Marion's new equipment just from the cell phone video call, and given that Lois is a whole lot larger than Marion that sort of thing should be easy to see. But perhaps it just hasn't had time to come up yet.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Robotech_Master wrote:Of course, if Lois was now male, you'd think Marion would have, well, noticed already. After all, Lois noticed Marion's new equipment just from the cell phone video call, and given that Lois is a whole lot larger than Marion that sort of thing should be easy to see. But perhaps it just hasn't had time to come up yet.
If it's an issue, I think he's got it filed in the back of his head to bring up later Perhaps he's got a little discretion left.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:-tychoaussie Wrote:
-It is just me, or does Lois look buffed up, with some muscle underneath all that Lynx fur?

If you're using that image to try to defend calling Lois a lynx earlier, I'm sorry to say the title is flat out wrong. It's a common misconception, but bobcats are sufficiently different from the three lynxes to be considered a lynx itself. It's close, mind you, but not close enough. Saying a bobcat is a type of lynx is like saying a wolf is a type of jackal.
The cape comes with the promotion.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

So I decided to read the comic from the beginning, and came across this:
Look out Marion, lest you spend your days shelling nuts for an oddly coloured feline.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I think if Grape tries that, she'll have to explain it to a rather ticked off Lois.
Dahan

Post by Dahan »

Champion Wallace wrote:If you're using that image to try to defend calling Lois a lynx earlier, I'm sorry to say the title is flat out wrong. It's a common misconception, but bobcats are sufficiently different from the three lynxes to be considered a lynx itself. It's close, mind you, but not close enough. Saying a bobcat is a type of lynx is like saying a wolf is a type of jackal.
Bobcats are literally in genus Lynx. The four lynxes in the picture are believed to have evolved from another lynx, the now-extinct Issoire lynx. Wolves are not believed to have evolved from some type of jackal. So yes, bobcats are a type of lynx. But as Lt. Geordi says, you don't have to take my word for it: see Figure 1 in The Late Miocene Radiationof Modern Felidae:A Genetic Assessment, which shows the felidae family tree based on DNA analysis. The four species grouped under the "Lynx lineage" all share certain DNA changes that aren't in the other species.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

As somebody who used to be weirdly interested in animal taxonomy, I've gotta agree with Dahan on this one. Bobcats aren't usually called lynxes but that's mostly 'cause bobcat is a much catchier name. This stuff *can* get more complicated, but having a lynx that's not called one is nowhere near as confusing as some of the names the cat family's been given, like having at least four completely distinct species of small and big cat called "leopard", not counting actual leopards... as well as a genus called Leopardus which is completely unrelated to any of them. :P
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:I think there is a big possibility that the wolves' ECP tags are actually coins from the temple. They keep them around their necks so humans touching them and transforming would be rare and inconsistent enough that no one would put two and two together. The last thing Lois was doing before she changed was giving Poncho chin scratches, which would be a very easy way to touch his tag.
Keene knew the coins were cursed. But I don't think he knew the nature of the curse and that it was specific to humans until Thomas transformed so I'm not sure if he would have used the coins. Although, if he placed Karishad in charge of that department I see it as a possibility.
You are correct, but I don't recall seeing the wolves wearing those tags before the Temple Crashers arc, and the Wolves were still working as Keene's security at that point, so Keene could have had Lana give them those tags when they moved on to the next phase.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Dahan wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:If you're using that image to try to defend calling Lois a lynx earlier, I'm sorry to say the title is flat out wrong. It's a common misconception, but bobcats are sufficiently different from the three lynxes to be considered a lynx itself. It's close, mind you, but not close enough. Saying a bobcat is a type of lynx is like saying a wolf is a type of jackal.
Bobcats are literally in genus Lynx. The four lynxes in the picture are believed to have evolved from another lynx, the now-extinct Issoire lynx. Wolves are not believed to have evolved from some type of jackal. So yes, bobcats are a type of lynx. But as Lt. Geordi says, you don't have to take my word for it: see Figure 1 in The Late Miocene Radiationof Modern Felidae:A Genetic Assessment, which shows the felidae family tree based on DNA analysis. The four species grouped under the "Lynx lineage" all share certain DNA changes that aren't in the other species.
Figure 1 (in conjunction with table 1) also shows that the bobcat lineage diverged from the Iberian, Eurasian, and Canada lynx over twice as long ago as any of those three diverged from each other. Those four all share DNA changes that no other animal has, but so what? The three lynxes also share DNA changes not present in other species. It's not about what your closest relative is, but how closely related you are. Bobcat is in the genus Lynx, but as Vertigo Fox points out cat genus names aren't completely reliable for relevant classifications. I've spoke with multiple wildlifers and they said for practical purposes a bobcat is not a lynx.
Mr. Whisper wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:I think there is a big possibility that the wolves' ECP tags are actually coins from the temple. They keep them around their necks so humans touching them and transforming would be rare and inconsistent enough that no one would put two and two together. The last thing Lois was doing before she changed was giving Poncho chin scratches, which would be a very easy way to touch his tag.
Keene knew the coins were cursed. But I don't think he knew the nature of the curse and that it was specific to humans until Thomas transformed so I'm not sure if he would have used the coins. Although, if he placed Karishad in charge of that department I see it as a possibility.
You are correct, but I don't recall seeing the wolves wearing those tags before the Temple Crashers arc, and the Wolves were still working as Keene's security at that point, so Keene could have had Lana give them those tags when they moved on to the next phase.
They had those tags in A Holiday at the Zoo, almost a year before the first Temple Crashers. The wolves only wear their tags when they're out in public to follow pet collar laws.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:Figure 1 (in conjunction with table 1) also shows that the bobcat lineage diverged from the Iberian, Eurasian, and Canada lynx over twice as long ago as any of those three diverged from each other. Those four all share DNA changes that no other animal has, but so what? The three lynxes also share DNA changes not present in other species. It's not about what your closest relative is, but how closely related you are. Bobcat is in the genus Lynx, but as Vertigo Fox points out cat genus names aren't completely reliable for relevant classifications. I've spoke with multiple wildlifers and they said for practical purposes a bobcat is not a lynx.
Well there’s the rub. There is a difference between technicality and practically. Technically a bobcat is a lynx under the guise of modern taxonomy since it falls under the same genus. You can argue that it’s not a lynx but until someone changes it or the scientific community agrees on a new label there is not much else we can do about it.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Dahan wrote:Wolves are not believed to have evolved from some type of jackal.
To be more precise, the Golden Jackal is actually a wolf, not closely related to the actual jackals, and one subspecies has recently been renamed the African Golden Wolf.

Zoological taxonomy is a mess. People are arguing about how far the blue area extends, and will be for some time:

Who knows what kinds of missing lynx there are.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Champion Wallace wrote:Image
They had those tags in A Holiday at the Zoo, almost a year before the first Temple Crashers. The wolves only wear their tags when they're out in public to follow pet collar laws.
I see. Well, good. That means I can go back to believing it was Eudoant!
Robotech_Master

Regardless of how long they've been wearing those collars, I find it hard to imagine Keene would do something so irresponsible as attach cursed treasure to them so anyone who randomly happened to brush the tag would turn into an animal. If he were intentionally going to push the curse wide, there are many more efficient ways to do it, like mailing coins to random households. He wouldn't do it in a way that would immediately point back to the ECP when people figured it out.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Figure 1 (in conjunction with table 1) also shows that the bobcat lineage diverged from the Iberian, Eurasian, and Canada lynx over twice as long ago as any of those three diverged from each other. Those four all share DNA changes that no other animal has, but so what? The three lynxes also share DNA changes not present in other species. It's not about what your closest relative is, but how closely related you are. Bobcat is in the genus Lynx, but as Vertigo Fox points out cat genus names aren't completely reliable for relevant classifications. I've spoke with multiple wildlifers and they said for practical purposes a bobcat is not a lynx.
Well there’s the rub. There is a difference between technicality and practically. Technically a bobcat is a lynx under the guise of modern taxonomy since it falls under the same genus. You can argue that it’s not a lynx but until someone changes it or the scientific community agrees on a new label there is not much else we can do about it.
Honestly though, if a bobcat could talk and you asked it if it was a lynx all it would say is that it doesn't care. Beyond that, all you can do is decide how broadly you want to define the word Lynx. Frustrating as it is, a lot of these classifications are a matter of opinion and the scientists who are in charge of them and are supposed to know what they're talking about get into these exact same arguments all the time. I bet there are scientists arguing about bobcats somewhere right now...
We're all talking like there's a right or a wrong answer to the question but there isn't. There's just what's standardized and what could someday change.

Of course there's wronger answers like "no it's a dog". :P So like so many things in science instead of right and wrong you get a question of wrong and only-mostly-wrong.
Last edited by Vertigo Fox on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Robotech_Master wrote:Regardless of how long they've been wearing those collars, I find it hard to imagine Keene would do something so irresponsible as attach cursed treasure to them so anyone who randomly happened to brush the tag would turn into an animal. If he were intentionally going to push the curse wide, there are many more efficient ways to do it, like mailing coins to random households. He wouldn't do it in a way that would immediately point back to the ECP when people figured it out.
Besides which, even if it were true, I'm pretty sure Marion wasn't stroking a Wolf in his room before he got shifted.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Robotech_Master

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Besides which, even if it were true, I'm pretty sure Marion wasn't stroking a Wolf in his room before he got shifted.
Is that what they're calling it now?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Argent wrote:
Dahan wrote:Wolves are not believed to have evolved from some type of jackal.
To be more precise, the Golden Jackal is actually a wolf, not closely related to the actual jackals, and one subspecies has recently been renamed the African Golden Wolf.

Zoological taxonomy is a mess. People are arguing about how far the blue area extends, and will be for some time:

Who knows what kinds of missing lynx there are.
Can I just say that I am very amused that this is the most heated discussion of the last few pages?

Your point is more or less true. How broadly or narrowly we classify species together is largely a matter of perspective. What qualifies something to be separate from other species of similar nature is something that our scientists define, not something intrinsic to nature. You could define all species as related because they all share a common ancestor and all are living organisms, but this level of broadness, while technically correct, is useless for discussion because it's overgeneralized. On the other hand, you could go so far as to claim that even within what we classify as species, minor genetic variation as small as where the spots are located on different dalmatians qualifies them as separate. Again, this could be just as technically accurate if we chose to define it that way, but it is once again useless for discussion because you have to treat every organism individually.
So, where we define relationships of species is semi-arbitrary at the base-level because we decided what makes a species different enough from another to be classified as not related.
The question is where we choose to draw the line in the scientific literature. Do we separate species out by how long they've been separated from common ancestors? But then that ignores the question of species that don't change much over time (like the ceolacanth). Do we separate it by how much DNA is similar? Well, that doesn't work very well either, because very minor changes in DNA can produce wildly different creatures - humans have more DNA in common with starfish than with pigs, but I doubt anyone's going to claim that we're more closely related to them.
So, arguing whether the bobcat is a type of lynx is really kind of silly. Especially in the context of this comic, because it doesn't really matter for the plot. The real question is HAS SHE GOT MY LEG?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Nobody wrote:Especially in the context of this comic, because it doesn't really matter for the plot. The real question is HAS SHE GOT MY LEG?
Even more frightening, she's got someones leg but it's not yours...

This is all a really academic discussion. Bobcats and Lynv (or more accurately, Canadian Lynx) are two different critters. If you were running a zoo, you wouldn't put them in the same enclosure. They are very closely related, and habitats overlap, but not the same animal. The common name for the body that Lois now occupies is "bobcat".

Perhaps someday, we will see her wax eloquently with the lynx in the zoo about their relative genetic closeness. But at the moment we see her here, I'm sure she's a bit more worried about graduation, her future and where she's going to get another jacket to cover herself without overheating in the summer.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I've really been loving the facial expressions and poses in these last couple of strips, the second panel in this one especially. Marion looks extremely cute in that one as he leans over to check on Lois. The design Marion gets when the panel is is from far away and you just see his pupils adds that cuteness factor to him. His ability to switch from concern to sass in the span of two panels is quite the skill, as well; I love that fourth panel. The previous part where Marion accosts Thomas, and these last two strips here show Marion's continuing to gain more agency as a character rather than simply reacting to things like he was for the last several parts, and it's great.

So, where do we go from here? There might be a cut straight-away to the Milton estate where Marion, Lois, Lana, Keene, and Fox & King are gathered. The latter four explain to our new squirrel and freshly-minted bobcat about the Celestials, the temple, and the cursed treasure. Marion brings up the conspiracy theories that he's been hearing. This prompts Keene and Co. to wonder if someone wants to topple the ECP/ruin their plan for animal equality. Steward getting turned into a badger gets brought up (maybe even literally, via security camera feeds), as well as Pete and his sister being turned into fox kits. This leads back to the Treehouse. Steward either turns out to be the main culprit, a red herring, or something in-between; maybe he was experimenting on the coin in secret to figure out a way to reverse the curse and it's accidentally turning people into animals long-distance, and never meant for anybody else to suffer his same fate.

Whatever happens, I can indeed see this part of My Life As A Teenage Squirrel being the last part of it, and the arc after this is a time skip ahead to whatever the current season is and we see how Lois & Marion have been doing, the current state of the ECP, and what-have-you.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Robotech_Master

Ash Greytree wrote:I've really been loving the facial expressions and poses in these last couple of strips, the second panel in this one especially. Marion looks extremely cute in that one as he leans over to check on Lois. The design Marion gets when the panel is is from far away and you just see his pupils adds that cuteness factor to him. His ability to switch from concern to sass in the span of two panels is quite the skill, as well; I love that fourth panel. The previous part where Marion accosts Thomas, and these last two strips here show Marion's continuing to gain more agency as a character rather than simply reacting to things like he was for the last several parts, and it's great.
Indeed. As I was saying earlier, I love what Rick does with body language for his characters, including ear positioning based on mood. (Poncho's ears are still drooping.) And that crossed-arm sidelong smirk of Marion's in the last panel is just perfect for the question he's asking.
So, where do we go from here? There might be a cut straight-away to the Milton estate where Marion, Lois, Lana, Keene, and Fox & King are gathered. The latter four explain to our new squirrel and freshly-minted bobcat about the Celestials, the temple, and the cursed treasure. Marion brings up the conspiracy theories that he's been hearing. This prompts Keene and Co. to wonder if someone wants to topple the ECP/ruin their plan for animal equality. Steward getting turned into a badger gets brought up (maybe even literally, via security camera feeds), as well as Pete and his sister being turned into fox kits. This leads back to the Treehouse. Steward either turns out to be the main culprit, a red herring, or something in-between; maybe he was experimenting on the coin in secret to figure out a way to reverse the curse and it's accidentally turning people into animals long-distance, and never meant for anybody else to suffer his same fate.
Don't forget that Craig outright told Marion that he and his sister used to be a super-powerful griffin and dragon. It might only take another mention or two of that to jog his memory. "Griffin and dragon...that reminds me of something..."
Whatever happens, I can indeed see this part of My Life As A Teenage Squirrel being the last part of it, and the arc after this is a time skip ahead to whatever the current season is and we see how Lois & Marion have been doing, the current state of the ECP, and what-have-you.
I don't know...seems more like this leads directly into the next arc, where they go and investigate matters, possibly even ending up at the dragon's temple in Egypt. But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens next!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

We have no evidence that anyone - save, perhaps, Tarot and Sabrina - have any clue there's a temple in Egypt.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Robotech_Master

Welsh Halfwit wrote:We have no evidence that anyone - save, perhaps, Tarot and Sabrina - have any clue there's a temple in Egypt.
They don't now, sure. But there are a couple of fox kits who know all about it living not too far away...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Robotech_Master wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:We have no evidence that anyone - save, perhaps, Tarot and Sabrina - have any clue there's a temple in Egypt.
They don't now, sure. But there are a couple of fox kits who know all about it living not too far away...
And Kitsune's probably not going to let anyone near them...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Robotech_Master wrote:
And Kitsune's probably not going to let anyone near them...
It seems high time to see Tarot and/or Sabrina in this arc anyway, so if no one else knows they will shortly. Keene might already know about it from his fathers writings, and others might suspect it from the idea that, since Pete had one, then Dragon must as well.

While I strongly suspect these two are going to end up in Egypt at some point and with some mix of the characters we have known for years, I doubt that it's going to be the next arc. First of all, other than Kitsune (who is highly unlikely to give them GPS coordinates) no one knows whee it is, exactly. They can't just travel to Egypt and start looking.

I suspect these two are in for more localized, personal hijinks for a while. I'm still hoping to see them somehow integrate into the rest of the cast somehow. Perhaps humans won't come near them for fear of "catching" this transformation so they befriend the local pets and ferals.
Robotech_Master

I'm starting to wonder whether this might not be a delayed fallout from the last Temple Crashers. Keene, I seem to recall, had originally wanted to use the temple's power to turn all humans into animals. What if some small part of the power actually did get devoted to that end...one at a time, but increasing as time goes on?

And perhaps to shut it down, they need to use another pool of equal power, like the one in the temple in Egypt. Hence...another Temple Crashers.

Just a theory...
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Robotech_Master wrote:I'm starting to wonder whether this might not be a delayed fallout from the last Temple Crashers. Keene, I seem to recall, had originally wanted to use the temple's power to turn all humans into animals. What if some small part of the power actually did get devoted to that end...one at a time, but increasing as time goes on?

And perhaps to shut it down, they need to use another pool of equal power, like the one in the temple in Egypt. Hence...another Temple Crashers.

Just a theory...
I had that thought as well, to be honest, hence why I suggested that maybe the mother transformed too. Plus, the smoke around Lois (as I'm pretty sure there wasn't any when both Thomas and Steward turned when touching the coin) does lend credence to your theory.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

SeanWolf wrote:I had that thought as well, to be honest, hence why I suggested that maybe the mother transformed too. Plus, the smoke around Lois (as I'm pretty sure there wasn't any when both Thomas and Steward turned when touching the coin) does lend credence to your theory.
Smoke around Steward: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... ur-badger/
Thomas's tf was off-panel.

For another, Keene never touched the mana, so his desires couldn't possibly have effected it. And I don't remember that ever being his plan. I remember a lot of people speculating on this, or at the very least wanting it to happen a lot, but I don't remember Keene ever actually wanting that. It's only in this arc here that there's even a hint that he's now thinking about it, though it's vague enough that his intent could be any number of things.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Nobody wrote: For another, Keene never touched the mana, so his desires couldn't possibly have effected it. And I don't remember that ever being his plan. I remember a lot of people speculating on this, or at the very least wanting it to happen a lot, but I don't remember Keene ever actually wanting that. It's only in this arc here that there's even a hint that he's now thinking about it, though it's vague enough that his intent could be any number of things.
Precisely what he hoped to accomplish was never spelled out, and it's possible that even he didn't know what he was going to do until he could feel the extent of the power involved. He talked about equality, but if he meant just force-changing minds or bodies he never said.

Somewhere, I threw out the wild theory that this will somehow come back to Res since he evidently retained at least some power from the mana. I still doubt that such a thing is likely, but it's not impossible. It's one of a billion possible theories out there at this point. 8-)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
Don't argeuooooo with the roooooo, eh? agreed. :)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

NHWestoN wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:Don't argeuooooo with the roooooo, eh? agreed. :)
I'll be whatever I wanna do.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Nobody wrote: For another, Keene never touched the mana, so his desires couldn't possibly have effected it. And I don't remember that ever being his plan. I remember a lot of people speculating on this, or at the very least wanting it to happen a lot, but I don't remember Keene ever actually wanting that. It's only in this arc here that there's even a hint that he's now thinking about it, though it's vague enough that his intent could be any number of things.
Precisely what he hoped to accomplish was never spelled out, and it's possible that even he didn't know what he was going to do until he could feel the extent of the power involved. He talked about equality, but if he meant just force-changing minds or bodies he never said.

Somewhere, I threw out the wild theory that this will somehow come back to Res since he evidently retained at least some power from the mana. I still doubt that such a thing is likely, but it's not impossible. It's one of a billion possible theories out there at this point. 8-)
Keene's reaction to Fox and King telling him about Marion says a lot about his overall goal. He didn't initially want humans to become animals because he knows that would bring about anarchy and two its not really the same form of equality that he initially wanted. BUT as I say this (I've said this before) his goal could change to actively desire to change a select few humans into animals thereby forcing the governments hand to establishing a type of equality that extends to the therianthropes and the natural born animals. These recent transformations could inspire a twisted idea in his little ferret brain that involves sacrfacing a few humans to complete his goal. Like I said this is turning into a complicated game of chess. At this point it's like three person chess so someone start charging the golf cart and prepare the bees.
dr_eirik wrote:
It seems high time to see Tarot and/or Sabrina in this arc anyway, so if no one else knows they will shortly. Keene might already know about it from his fathers writings, and others might suspect it from the idea that, since Pete had one, then Dragon must as well.

While I strongly suspect these two are going to end up in Egypt at some point and with some mix of the characters we have known for years, I doubt that it's going to be the next arc. First of all, other than Kitsune (who is highly unlikely to give them GPS coordinates) no one knows whee it is, exactly. They can't just travel to Egypt and start looking.

I suspect these two are in for more localized, personal hijinks for a while. I'm still hoping to see them somehow integrate into the rest of the cast somehow. Perhaps humans won't come near them for fear of "catching" this transformation so they befriend the local pets and ferals.
Safe money is on that the series will end with everyone going to Egypt to Dragon's Temple for one final climatic showdown of good versus evil and when the dust settles all revenants of the Game, Heavenly magic, and whatnot will be gone for good.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then the question is, what do you wanna do?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Then the question is, what do you wanna do?
Whatever I wanna be. I'm pretty sure I said.