2019/12/11 - Just Give Me A Reason

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Nobody

Re: 2019/12/11 - Just Give Me A Reason

Post by Nobody »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:Why is he so much funnier when he is blunt and direct? :mrgreen:
One humor theory is that laughter is a reaction to surprise that we're not ready to cope with. That's why something uncomfortable can make us laugh sometimes.
The rest is timing.
Gregourii

Post by Gregourii »

I'm curious as to how they were cursed, perhaps it was that demon that escaped from Hell during the Temple arc?

It could also have been Steward, but I honestly think he wouldn't try to draw attention to himself, he's still wanted by law enforcement after all.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Gameb18oy wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:If you follow "Murder, She Wrote" rules, there really is only one suspect. In that show, it was always the person that was introduced in act one or two, named, and looked like a minor character. If you take Kitsune at his words, has to be someone that knew Marion ahead of time.

The only suspect, then, is Bronson. I hate to even say that, because it seems ridiculous, but several others have pointed out him as a suspect.
Actually, by your logic, narc squirrel is the culprit

Considering he actually looks serious for just a moment in the last panel... I feel the fox kits have a chance of being involved.
Naw, she doesn't have a name. The perpetrator always had a name.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'm just imagining after all this is over, Lois turns to Keene and is like, "You were right. He was no help at all."
And then Keene's like, "Actually, as far as I can tell, this is the most helpful he's ever been. He must really like you."
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay boys and girls, I thought long and hard about this and came up with a theory to end all theories about Who Dun It?
Housepets Clue Suspect #1: Lana

She has access to the temple before and after it collapsed, not to mention Henry's research.
she would have just as much to gain from turning humans into animals for the ECP as Keene.
She has been keeping tabs on Marion since after he was transformed and watching over him.
she didn't sound surprised when Lois called and told her that she had become a bobcat. She almost sounded like she was checking to see if they were one to her.
she was one of the only people who even knew they were at the Zoo because Poncho told her.
She has a perfect villain backstory. After years of dealing with Keene and her siblings crap, she sought to take over the Milton's enterprises because she has always been the responsible one, the overworked and under appreciated one, the one everyone overlooks. She's smarter than the others. Keene just dumped the ECP mess on her and expected her to deal with it.

Continuing this train of thought, I have come up with a few possibilities. One is that she is working with Steward for obvious reasons. Given what we know about her, she could have been closer to him than we ever realized. Steward could have been a surrogate father figure for her. Anyway even after he was changed to a badger, she could have easily tracked him down for this scheme and given him a proposition. Keene may have washed his hands with Steward but that doesn't mean the others had.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

That actually makes a lot of sense, fenrir...
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay boys and girls, I thought long and hard about this and came up with a theory to end all theories about Who Dun It?

She has access to the temple before and after it collapsed, not to mention Henry's research.
she would have just as much to gain from turning humans into animals for the ECP as Keene.
She has been keeping tabs on Marion since after he was transformed and watching over him.
she didn't sound surprised when Lois called and told her that she had become a bobcat. She almost sounded like she was checking to see if they were one to her.
she was one of the only people who even knew they were at the Zoo because Poncho told her.
She has a perfect villain backstory. After years of dealing with Keene and her siblings crap, she sought to take over the Milton's enterprises because she has always been the responsible one, the overworked and under appreciated one, the one everyone overlooks. She's smarter than the others. Keene just dumped the ECP mess on her and expected her to deal with it.

Continuing this train of thought, I have come up with a few possibilities. One is that she is working with Steward for obvious reasons. Given what we know about her, she could have been closer to him than we ever realized. Steward could have been a surrogate father figure for her. Anyway even after he was changed to a badger, she could have easily tracked him down for this scheme and given him a proposition. Keene may have washed his hands with Steward but that doesn't mean the others had.
What doesn't fit is, once again, why Marion? He is still patient zero here and turning a random teenager into an animal seems odd. I suppose if it's the start of a larger "plague" then the first one doesn't matter much. But I'm interpeting Kitsunes comment as literal. That he doesn't just mean that a curse was deliberatly laid on them, but specifically on them personally. That might work for Lois and Lana but not Marion

I hate again to admit it, but I'm more and more thinking tha Bronson is the culprit. Driving into work this morning I suddenly realized that the timeline fits, too.

Marion and Bronson have that conversation in the morning where Marion shoots down his hopes of going after Lois. He has a few hours to stew on that. After lunch, Lois packs Marion in her bag and they head to the zoo. That leaves Bronson in class for about two hours, long enough to find out that they took off together.

Now he's ticked off, and after class goes home and, however he did this to Marion, he lays a curse on Lois.

The only thing that doesn't fit is that he shouldn't have the ability to do this. That's the confounding thing about this. The suspects who have ability (like Steward, Kitsune) have no motive. The ones with motive (Bronson) have no ability. The ones with more random motive and possibly ability (Keene, Lana) have no connection to Marion.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

My working theory for “Why Marion” is the same ones as always. Marion has some connection to the Miltons’ that we simply aren’t aware of yet most likely through his parents. My other is that Marion was simply random. It wouldn’t surprise me if the miltons had some ledger with all the humans and families living in a Babylon Gardens. Find one who is the appropriate age and family life and BOOM. Marion could have been chosen not for personal reasons but he was an ideal candidate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now we know that this was definitely a curse and not some random transformation that happened out of nowhere but we always thought that in the back of our minds now didn’t we? Now we got to figure out who is cursing them next. I still say that Stewart is too obvious.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Well, Great Kitsune, they were born humans and didn't decide by their own to be so... It's a little different, and it happened so ;) So yeah, they didn't asked or wished to become animals. :P The only possible explaining is that they got a curse, indeed, like already happened with Thomas and Steward, but about them there's a reason, which is in the temple treasure... :? Who or what did a curse on Marion and Lois, then?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay boys and girls, I thought long and hard about this and came up with a theory to end all theories about Who Dun It?
Pfft! Nah, totally wrong. The butler did it.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:My working theory for “Why Marion” is the same ones as always. Marion has some connection to the Miltons’ that we simply aren’t aware of yet most likely through his parents. My other is that Marion was simply random. It wouldn’t surprise me if the miltons had some ledger with all the humans and families living in a Babylon Gardens. Find one who is the appropriate age and family life and BOOM. Marion could have been chosen not for personal reasons but he was an ideal candidate.
I'm still hung up on the word "deliberately". I realize that easily could mean that the curse itself is an intentional act and not that Marion was the target. Given exactly what happened, though, with Lois transforming, I don't think that's what Kitsune means. I think that Marion was targeted by someone intentionally. Lois was targeted because of her relationship with him.

Now, was that someone that targeted him because he was beating him at Overwatch? Was it Tarot who knows him somehow and is either mad at him or thought she was doing something helpful? Was it Mr. Porter who really hates him for some reason? Is Bronson really a spurned suitor? We don't know yet.

I think if we weren't seven months into the arc, and with it coming to a hard end on Christmas, I suspect that this is where Kitsune would obliquely refer them to Tarot to track this down. Now, I suspect he's going to ask leading questions until they figure out the "who", which should lead quick to the "Why".

As for "How"? That's going to depend.
averagedog

Post by averagedog »

I still stand by my previous Steward powered theory from several comic pages ago. Unless if something new is introduced, he is the only one with non inscrutable Motive AND Means.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

If I may toss one more person/culprit onto the theory pile: What about Dallas? Recall way back in Temple Crashers 2, Karishard accused him of stuff...what if he, and this is going to be one heck of a stretch, found a way to smuggle a few coins out of the temple and started passing them about (wherein one ended up in Marion's paws)?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gameb18oy wrote:Actually, by your logic, narc squirrel is the culprit
They had opportunity. They could have snuck in while Marion was asleep and popped a coin on him.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nobody wrote:
Hmmmm. Always wondered why Jeeves was so nice to Maxwell … maybe cheetoes neutralize the spell adhering to accursed currency. :twisted:
jonas

Post by jonas »

Champion Wallace wrote:In the third panel Great Kitsune looks like he's being seductive or has been nipping.
I've noticed Great Kitsune getting a bit "hands-on" lately, like cuddling up with Tarot and Peanut, and squeezing in-between King and Bailey in the hot tub and teasing King's un-collared neck. (And possibly shacking up with Kix?) He must have a certain thing for those "low-order beings."
Olive

Post by Olive »

There’s always the possibility that whatever’s laughing behind Peanut and Grape did it.
The inevitability of a game of fetch is a frightening thing.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

SeanWolf wrote:If I may toss one more person/culprit onto the theory pile: What about Dallas? Recall way back in Temple Crashers 2, Karishard accused him of stuff...what if he, and this is going to be one heck of a stretch, found a way to smuggle a few coins out of the temple and started passing them about (wherein one ended up in Marion's paws)?
I've tossed in the entire Nerd squad, including Dallas, as suspects for a long time. I think I suggested it as them using something they saw or picked up in the temple in one of their role playing games that stuck to Marion for some reason.

I still think it's possible (also, magical accident involving Tarot and/or Sabrina) it still leaves off the "why Marion" question. It just depends on if Marion was actually targeted directly and personally.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

jonas wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:In the third panel Great Kitsune looks like he's being seductive or has been nipping.
I've noticed Great Kitsune getting a bit "hands-on" lately, like cuddling up with Tarot and Peanut, and squeezing in-between King and Bailey in the hot tub and teasing King's un-collared neck. (And possibly shacking up with Kix?) He must have a certain thing for those "low-order beings."

"Snugglies" between divinities and mortals is a common theme in many religious traditions. And he's always been a bit flirtatious and affectionate. Part of his foxioidal charm.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Gameb18oy wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:If you follow "Murder, She Wrote" rules, there really is only one suspect. In that show, it was always the person that was introduced in act one or two, named, and looked like a minor character. If you take Kitsune at his words, has to be someone that knew Marion ahead of time.

The only suspect, then, is Bronson. I hate to even say that, because it seems ridiculous, but several others have pointed out him as a suspect.
Actually, by your logic, narc squirrel is the culprit

Considering he actually looks serious for just a moment in the last panel... I feel the fox kits have a chance of being involved.
This made me have the amusing thought that the squirrel was not in fact calling Marion a narc, but actually just really aggressively telling Marion their name.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
jonas wrote:

"Snugglies" between divinities and mortals is a common theme in many religious traditions. And he's always been a bit flirtatious and affectionate. Part of his foxioidal charm.
Also, with Bailey and King, he is poking at the Corgi a bit. He knows that King doesn't like or trust him, so he likes to drive him crazy.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

fenrirblack wrote:Someone one did it. Who and why, find out next time.

I accuse Col Earl Mustard in the Car shop with the Tanuki.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Startrekfan47 wrote:

<Shows StarTrekfan47 the Car Shop card>
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Nobody wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Jeeves was part of it but not the actual mastermind.
Lana: Jeeves pull the limo around, I have to make a house call. Moowahahah
Jeeves: Yes, madam. Right away.
dr_eirik wrote: I'm still hung up on the word "deliberately". I realize that easily could mean that the curse itself is an intentional act and not that Marion was the target. Given exactly what happened, though, with Lois transforming, I don't think that's what Kitsune means. I think that Marion was targeted by someone intentionally. Lois was targeted because of her relationship with him.
My theory is Lois was targeted because of where they were. Only a select few people knew about Thomas and that he was at the zoo. Poncho tells Lana that both Marion and Lois are asking questions and she has to do something drastic to keep them from learning too much.
dr_eirik wrote:I think if we weren't seven months into the arc, and with it coming to a hard end on Christmas, I suspect that this is where Kitsune would obliquely refer them to Tarot to track this down. Now, I suspect he's going to ask leading questions until they figure out the "who", which should lead quick to the "Why".

As for "How"? That's going to depend.
That is my thought. Kitsune is going to lead them on a merry trail without telling them flat out who the culprit is. Possibly drop more hints to mess with their and the reader's minds. If I was writing this I would wait until the final page, the one on Christmas and reveal the culprit to the reader. Lana checks up on Marion and Lois on Christmas Day as she makes her rounds and as she leaves we get a super obvious indicator that it was in fact her.
Merry Christmas to us from Rick.
Out of spite it'll probably be a new character as bonus present. Rick Griffin: "Merry Christmas, here's the culprit, a new character which means you were all wrong! Moowahahah!"
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: That is my thought. Kitsune is going to lead them on a merry trail without telling them flat out who the culprit is. Possibly drop more hints to mess with their and the reader's minds. If I was writing this I would wait until the final page, the one on Christmas and reveal the culprit to the reader. Lana checks up on Marion and Lois on Christmas Day as she makes her rounds and as she leaves we get a super obvious indicator that it was in fact her.
Merry Christmas to us from Rick.
Out of spite it'll probably be a new character as bonus present. Rick Griffin: "Merry Christmas, here's the culprit, a new character which means you were all wrong! Moowahahah!"
I could see that, but I think that how this arc ends depends a lot on what the future setup is going to be. Assuming that they end the arc still animals, then we could get a reveal and an explanation in the next couple pages, finding out that the method they were transformed with was one-way, with the next few pages being Lois and Marion dealing with the reality that they won't be able to change back. Then with perhaps someone (Keene, Draig, Steward) pointing out that there is still a temple on the planet somewhere with Mana.

If the overall mystery is going to continue, then I could see your ending, with a reader reveal of the culprit but not to Marion or Lois.

I kinda think that the Christmas page is going to be showing them settling into the next phase of their lives. They'll either be together in college or at least in their own place and trying to see the positive side of what's to come. Or something like that. Rick doesn't tend to make super grim-dark Christmas pages.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

dr_eirik wrote:
Startrekfan47 wrote:

<Shows StarTrekfan47 the Car Shop card>
Stf47 darns and keeps Earl as a suspect (he has just the sense of humor to think turning someone into a squirrel is funny)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Frank wrote:
Macsen wrote:If Kitsune knows that, then undoubtedly he knows who.

I don't see him saying that unless he intended to tell them who.
I honestly don't think he will because either
  1. He literally can't (he knows but there's some magick preventing him from revealing it)
  2. They have to find out on their own (What kind of quest would it be if he just gave them the answer?)
  3. They have a lantern
Or he DOESN'T know who or why but can detect the curse itself?
That's what I'm calling the lantern
Nobody wrote:
For the same reason as Steward? "I always wanted to be a ______, but i'm stuck with this job because of my name"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

jonas wrote:I've noticed Great Kitsune getting a bit "hands-on" lately, like cuddling up with Tarot and Peanut, and squeezing in-between King and Bailey in the hot tub and teasing King's un-collared neck. (And possibly shacking up with Kix?) He must have a certain thing for those "low-order beings."
Most of the pets he hangs out with are orphans, too.

Great Kitsune ships orphans to be awesome parents in the future confirmed.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

If the transformations were an unintended side effect of The Game like magic(k)al energy emanating from the destroyed temple Kitsune would be more responsible, but even though that's not the case that's still not much of an excuse for not helping. Imagine this in another context.

"Officer, my child is missing!"
"Come on, you're fixating on the wrong thing. It's not like this disappearance is arbitrary. This is all happening for a reason."
"Oh, right, he needs to live his own life and go have an adventure but one day he'll return like the prodigal son."
"No I mean literally, somebody deliberately kidnaped your son."

Like what's supposed to happen next? "If he was lost I'd send a search party, but I don't want to mess up any of the plans the kidnapper has."

The cast is basically having the "no magical assistance vs this is a special case" debate we had in the previous comic's discussion. It may not be a Heavenly error, but curses aren't of Earthly origin either. At least we know more then we did before.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Champion Wallace wrote:"Officer, my child is missing!"
"Come on, you're fixating on the wrong thing. It's not like this disappearance is arbitrary. This is all happening for a reason."
"Oh, right, he needs to live his own life and go have an adventure but one day he'll return like the prodigal son."
"No I mean literally, somebody deliberately kidnaped your son."
That context doesn't work, because there is a very critical difference between the two scenarios: in the case of a kidnapping, one person is in imminent danger and not taking action immediately can lead lasting trauma, or death. This curse really doesn't come with anything immediately life-threatening. Hell, without Kitsu's help, Marion already got his life more-or-less back on track with only some minor adjustments. There are some long-term consequences to explore, but it's not like not immediately fixing the problem is going to lead to intrinsic harm.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I feel like the next 5 strips before the Christmas timeskip are going to involve Lois asking Kitsune if he knows who did it. Kitsune replies saying he doesn’t, or that revealing too much would be bad for the universe and what-not. Marion & Lois have a real downer moment for a second when suddenly they get a spot of hope.

Lois: Well, we don’t have any more leads. What do we do now?
Marion: I don’t know... [looks up at Lois, with a wry smile.] you could always move up to Canada with me. I hear beavers are pretty tasty, and with your new body you could catch some easily.
Lois: The Canada thing again? Really?
Marion: I’m just trying to lighten up the mood, okay? Just trying to... [He folds his arms and looks down at the floor] Trying to cope with the fact that everything’s coming up like we’ll be stuck like this for good.

[Kitsune poofs over in between them to chime in.]
Kitsune: Don’t be so glum, you two; I never said you’d be leaving here with zero hints!
[M&L’s eyes widen as they look toward the demigod.]
Lois: You can give us a lead?!
Kitsune: [Nods.] I can’t spoil the plot, but I can give you a nudge to where you need to go next.

In this scenario, I could see Kitsune giving them one of two leads. The first is that he reveals that it was a feral that did it to them. This leads Marion & Lois to post up as housemates in the new ECP boarding house that Keene is setting up, in hopes that they could potentially find clues from the ferals there. This, or he refers them to Tarot, either obliquely like Eirik mentioned or more directly. They head over there, talk to her, and she says it’ll take some time for her powers to work, as they’ve diminished since the Game. In the meantime, our bobcat and squirrel work to graduate high school and wind up staying at the new ECP boarding house because Keene offers them scholarships if they do.

I know I seem a bit obsessed with the idea of them staying at the ECP boarding house, but 1) King mentioned it, and I strongly believe that means it’s going to become a key location for the duo, 2) It keeps them in Babylon Gardens and interacting with more of the cast members and maybe some new ones rather than being put on a bus, and 3) It also keeps the ECP itself at a sort of forefront to whenever the story swings back to focus on M&L, and a lot of the stuff in these last two parts of My Life As A Teenage Squirrel seems to be positioning the ECP and its future as a major organization and plot thread in future arcs.

So yeah: These last 5 strips before the timeskip have M&L lose a bit of hope, Kitsune gives them a lead, they follow up on it and get a bit of their hope back, graduate high school and end up living in a house with a bunch of other ferals.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Ash Greytree wrote:I feel like the next 5 strips before the Christmas timeskip are going to involve Lois asking Kitsune if he knows who did it. Kitsune replies saying he doesn’t, or that revealing too much would be bad for the universe and what-not.
I don't think it needs to be a fate of the universe thing. I mean, if Kitsu undoes the transformations right now, whoever started it is just going to do it again. Or they might pick someone else, just shifting the problem. Furthermore, telling them who it is right now will lead to an immediate confrontation, but letting them figure it out on their own might lead them to getting some important context that they need to bring about the best possible resolution for all involved parties.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Looking at this from both possibilities if Kitsune told them the culprit then they would actually have to find them which is a story unto itself. If it’s someone they have easy access to then that individual could flee and if it’s someone like the Dino-demon there is no way to find them easily. Either way the story continues but with a set goal of finding the culprit.
The other one is letting them figure it out for themselves which is more Kitsunes style but at the same time it would be hard to swing Kitsune simply not telling them without coming off as more of a jerk. This is the most likely outcome based on previous experiences like with Satau. Anyway the plot continues forward with them trying to find the culprit by gathering clues and information and most likely more humans will become animals in the mean time. Honestly if Bronson isn’t the culprit he should at least be next.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Nobody wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:I feel like the next 5 strips before the Christmas timeskip are going to involve Lois asking Kitsune if he knows who did it. Kitsune replies saying he doesn’t, or that revealing too much would be bad for the universe and what-not.
I don't think it needs to be a fate of the universe thing. I mean, if Kitsu undoes the transformations right now, whoever started it is just going to do it again. Or they might pick someone else, just shifting the problem. Furthermore, telling them who it is right now will lead to an immediate confrontation, but letting them figure it out on their own might lead them to getting some important context that they need to bring about the best possible resolution for all involved parties.
What I meant really wasn’t a whole “fate of the universe” thing, but rather a “no spoilers because the divine/cosmic forces that govern the universe don’t like that” kind of thing.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

fenrirblack wrote:My theory is Lois was targeted because of where they were. Only a select few people knew about Thomas and that he was at the zoo. Poncho tells Lana that both Marion and Lois are asking questions and she has to do something drastic to keep them from learning too much.
The problem with this is that transforming Lois doesn't stop her from answering questions, in fact it not only induces her to ask more questions but destroys any lasting doubts she may have had about Marion's transformation.

It also tells the protagonists more about their opponent - Marion's sudden transformation could have been an accident, but to try to prevent Lois from looking into how Marion was transformed by using the same method would be a big error on the part of the culprit. Not only is it now more clear that the transformation was not an accident, the way in which it happened shows the two events are linked.

If Lana is supposed to be the smartest ferret, couldn't she come up with a more effective way of preventing Marion and Lois investigating than to send a low-information grunt out to give some not very convincing arguments, before using a curse that wouldn't even have the intended effect of keeping them from learning too much?

This becomes less of an issue if it was not Lana who cursed M&L, but someone far dumber and less emotionally mature.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ash Greytree wrote: In the meantime, our bobcat and squirrel work to graduate high school and wind up staying at the new ECP boarding house because Keene offers them scholarships if they do.
But they actually have homes already.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Argent wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote: In the meantime, our bobcat and squirrel work to graduate high school and wind up staying at the new ECP boarding house because Keene offers them scholarships if they do.
...And their parents have lawyers and minor child protection advocates.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote:
Argent wrote:
...And their parents have lawyers and minor child protection advocates.
Unless their parents kick them out, I don't see them moving into the ECP house...though that does raise a question: What if the parents transformed too?

EDIT: What I mean is after Lois changed. We know that Marion's mom didn't change but what happened in the timeframe between him going to school and both he and Lois going to Kitsune? Who to say that the parents didn't transform then?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:My theory is Lois was targeted because of where they were. Only a select few people knew about Thomas and that he was at the zoo. Poncho tells Lana that both Marion and Lois are asking questions and she has to do something drastic to keep them from learning too much.
The problem with this is that transforming Lois doesn't stop her from answering questions, in fact it not only induces her to ask more questions but destroys any lasting doubts she may have had about Marion's transformation.

It also tells the protagonists more about their opponent - Marion's sudden transformation could have been an accident, but to try to prevent Lois from looking into how Marion was transformed by using the same method would be a big error on the part of the culprit. Not only is it now more clear that the transformation was not an accident, the way in which it happened shows the two events are linked.

If Lana is supposed to be the smartest ferret, couldn't she come up with a more effective way of preventing Marion and Lois investigating than to send a low-information grunt out to give some not very convincing arguments, before using a curse that wouldn't even have the intended effect of keeping them from learning too much?

This becomes less of an issue if it was not Lana who cursed M&L, but someone far dumber and less emotionally mature.
It did work in one regard that it got them out of the zoo and talking to Keene. If the intent was to distract them, it worked. That raises the question of why was it so important that they not talk to Thomas. The answer I can think of is so Thomas wouldn’t tell them about Steward or that one of the coins made it out of the temple. Which means that Lana could be working with Steward after all.